As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    I've been working on a new Death Guard army for a tournament at the end of the month.

BRbcPQt.jpg?2qvJpgR4.jpg?1

39uE0eg.jpg?1
    6TyuC10.jpg?1

Still a lot to do!

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    So grimy :D

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Purple
    Badablack wrote: »
    I haven’t posted any models in awhile on account of getting a sudden case of the Olds and being struck down with old people diseases, but here’s a spooky blood well!
    mMQPw9u.jpg

Why are you painting with strawberry jam?

Koreg on
    If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I haven’t posted any models in awhile on account of getting a sudden case of the Olds and being struck down with old people diseases, but here’s a spooky blood well!
    mMQPw9u.jpg

Sudden craving for Jammy Dodgers....

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    muN8qPh.jpg

Kingdom death is a lot of fun to paint.

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    That is a big dragon.

d4Yu9Js.jpg

• Options
    TacoForceTacoForce Registered User regular
    ^^^ Guess I get to follow that with a quick and dirty test scheme. Those are sick and I'm jealous.
    ki3wrmswh7ze.jpg
    1s2ux980xgcn.jpg
    Ugh... Seeing this blown up I definitely need to fade the colors on the tabard better.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I’d say those highlights look great. Bold contrasting highlights match stormcast just fine.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I feel like I just saw someone here or in the Warhammer Fantasy thread talk about this, so sorry for bringing it up again, but has anyone looked into replacement heads for the sigmarines? I think they're neat looking, but I've never liked their helmet/burial-masks, and their heads seem a smidge too small imho. I'm not sure what kind of helmet would go best with their armor design though. I'm thinking something like a Corinthian or Barbute?
    vn4iikt1i2b0.giflbblbjosxkyz.jpg

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Check Puppetswar and Maxmini, they have stuff.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Puppetswar makes some neat designs, but almost all of it has sci-fi details. About the only ones I saw that fit are these, because the hoods hide the techno-bits that are on the hoodless versions:
    595-2120-large.jpg

Looking at maxmini, it's the same problem. They do have these, but the skulls and oversized crests kind of put me off.
    MXMCB008_blacklotushelmets-882x630.jpg

I guess the thing to do would be to look at historic minis, but they probably won't fit the "heroic scale" proportions.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Dang J,
    Those are really nice! And the scheme is really close to what I was thinking, which make it all the more harder to nail down now that you've done those so well!

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Purple
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Puppetswar makes some neat designs, but almost all of it has sci-fi details. About the only ones I saw that fit are these, because the hoods hide the techno-bits that are on the hoodless versions:
    595-2120-large.jpg

Looking at maxmini, it's the same problem. They do have these, but the skulls and oversized crests kind of put me off.

I guess the thing to do would be to look at historic minis, but they probably won't fit the "heroic scale" proportions.
    If you actually like the second set, it looks like it would be pretty trivial to cut and file the skulls off of those helmets. None of them are in difficult places to reach or part of anything structural, and doesn't look like anything is cast in metal.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    How about the heads from gw marauder horsemen?

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Purple
    E - wrong thread

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    TacoForce wrote: »
    ^^^ Guess I get to follow that with a quick and dirty test scheme. Those are sick and I'm jealous.
    ki3wrmswh7ze.jpg
    1s2ux980xgcn.jpg
    Ugh... Seeing this blown up I definitely need to fade the colors on the tabard better.

try and put a splash more of the green you used on the shoulder pads in one other spot on the mini, i don't know where, but the whole of the miniature seems too one color to me. Though, for the life of me i can't think of where to put it.
    edit: this looks great, but a bit more green would be great. Maybe the crown piece or even the facemask in green.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    Purple
    Shin or forearm guards maybe

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    595-2120-large.jpg

If you actually like the second set, it looks like it would be pretty trivial to cut and file the skulls off of those helmets. None of them are in difficult places to reach or part of anything structural, and doesn't look like anything is cast in metal.

Good point.
    honovere wrote: »
    How about the heads from gw marauder horsemen?

That's not bad, at a glance they seem a bit too rough-hewn to match the stormcast armor, but it's something to think about.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Getting on board this Stormcast band wagon:
    WIsCNtH.jpg

Pretty happy with the weathered bronze for a lazy 1st attempt. I'm going to try one that's more golden and see which I prefer. I'm thinking Sea Green/Turquoise for the main colour and either blue or white/grey for the secondary.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Draeven wrote: »
    TacoForce wrote: »
    ki3wrmswh7ze.jpg
    1s2ux980xgcn.jpg

try and put a splash more of the green you used on the shoulder pads in one other spot on the mini, i don't know where, but the whole of the miniature seems too one color to me. Though, for the life of me i can't think of where to put it.
    edit: this looks great, but a bit more green would be great. Maybe the crown piece or even the facemask in green.

A couple very minor touches would take it from a 9 to a 10.

The inside (if you look at the official pic of the mini it's the red bit) of the tabard could easily be painted green and it would break up the same-ness a lot and bring the spot color to the lower part of the mini where it's lacking. Also the vambraces on the Castigators and Sequitors are leather, not part of the armor. Do those up in whatever color you've chosen for their leathers and that should nicely break up the area where the forearm and butt of the crossbow bleed together.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Ok it seems they have really sped up the Warhammer Tv painting demos
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0XcUfu3wBE

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Working on a reaper mini for an upcoming halloween themed D&D game. So far it looks decent, still gotta do washes and touch ups and such.

a489da29n3cr.jpg
    b0zbsvdonp50.jpg

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    Purple
    ...Does he have hand puppets?

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    Koreg wrote: »
    ...Does he have hand puppets?

Yes.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    What’s with the prevalence of naked dwarf miniatures? If there’s a 3rd party modeler that makes dwarves, there’s gonna be at least one big ol’ naked dude. There’s a polish company that seems to specialize in them. Is there some sort of widespread mythology around nudist dwarves?

• Options
    Purple
    Someone along the way (previous thread maybe?) had posted on how to paint marble terrain... I think it was bases.

@Badablack maybe?

I was talking to a friend about it and can't remember how it was done.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Having not painted in years I feel pretty alright about the outcome here. Definitely learned some stuff and figured out some things I need to work on. Gotta be ready to paint my Necrons and Space Wolves.

wsm30ste0wqr.jpg
    6vy6wtl3qc2v.jpg

There is something riding up the front of the boot. No idea what it is supposed to be so I just painted it gray with the floor.

Stragint on

• Options
    Khraul wrote: »
    Someone along the way (previous thread maybe?) had posted on how to paint marble terrain... I think it was bases.

@Badablack maybe?

I had a method of doing it, not the best looking marble but good for small areas. Basically do a black basecoat on your marble area, then a thick bone-white coat. While that’s still wet, in the spots where the marble is going to streak, dip the brush in water and carefully thin the white paint to let the black show through under to make dark streaks.

I’m sure there’s better ways, but that’s the least difficult.

• Options
    Purple
    Khraul wrote: »

Badablack maybe?

I had a method of doing it, not the best looking marble but good for small areas. Basically do a black basecoat on your marble area, then a thick bone-white coat. While that’s still wet, in the spots where the marble is going to streak, dip the brush in water and carefully thin the white paint to let the black show through under to make dark streaks.

I’m sure there’s better ways, but that’s the least difficult.

Excellent, thank you!

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    What’s with the prevalence of naked dwarf miniatures? If there’s a 3rd party modeler that makes dwarves, there’s gonna be at least one big ol’ naked dude. There’s a polish company that seems to specialize in them. Is there some sort of widespread mythology around nudist dwarves?

Proxy Slayers for Warhammer Fantasy / Fyreslayers for Sigmar, would be my guess.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Auralynx wrote: »

Proxy Slayers for Warhammer Fantasy / Fyreslayers for Sigmar, would be my guess.

Dwarfs in most fantasy games are Viking standins, so they are supposed to be beserkers.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I got the citadel painting handle
    It is far smaller than I thought or I just am merely huge

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Purple
    how large a miniature does that handle accommodate? looks like up to a 32mm base?
    I keep thinking I should get one, but then I remember I usually glue my model to the base as a last step not pre-painting

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Up to 40mm.
    3PmCZjBl.jpg

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    One of two Plagueburst Crawlers done (minus gun barrels)

ubxG7Dz.jpg?2

7jgs4LP.jpg?2

There are quite a few things I wanted to spend more time on, but I have a whole army to paint before the end of the month so this is good enough for now!

I also went a little heavy on the typhus corrosion. I'll probably to the next one a little less, more like the Drone I did.

2vTVm94.jpg?2

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Purple
    High-5 Nurgle bro!
    8biztzc1k62e.jpg

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Ok... I think I’m going to give this a shot again. I’m going to pick up the getting started box for seraphon, but beyond that I don’t know where to really begin. It’s been more than a decade since I painted anything and I have no paints or brushes or anything.

Any recommendations on where to start?

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Well, to start you off, I have a good deal of cheap second hand Seraphon for sale :mrgreen:

But seriously:
    -primer in a can: black, grey or white.
    -One detail brush (around size 0 or 00), one main brush (around size 1 or 2), depending on your preferences: one medium drybrush (if you like) and one washing brush (a normal watercolour brush is what I would recommend).
    -paints: I recommend Army Painter for washes. For all else it depends on your priorities. IMO Citadel has better paint quality, Vallejo better storage solution (dropper bottles). Many people love P3 paints but in my opinion it excels in neither of the fields and I dislike the medium they use
    -some very fine sand and PVA glue for the bases is a reasonable minimum.

And then there's the modelling supplies: cutters, hobby knife, plastic cement.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Thanks! Going to follow up with some noob questions.

- what difference does primer color make?
    - Is Army Painter this: https://www.thearmypainter.com/ ?
    - Should I pretty much stick to GW paints or do I have some better options? Edit: whoops you answered this question, so let me revise: what’s the best bang for my buck?

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Thanks! Going to follow up with some noob questions.

- what difference does primer color make?
    - Is Army Painter this: https://www.thearmypainter.com/ ?
    - Should I pretty much stick to GW paints or do I have some better options? Edit: whoops you answered this question, so let me revise: what’s the best bang for my buck?

The major difference primer color makes is in how easy or hard it will be to build up the main colors of your model.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

This discussion has been closed.