As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board games] I choose poorly.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I don't understand the Death May Die KS.
    I mean, I backed it at the $100 tier because I am a sucker for Cthulhu board games, but the $250 tier I just don't get. Sure, the fuck-off enormous Cthulhu is cool but the 'expansion' is 150% of the price of the base game and uses a different rule-set. It seems like they decided they wanted to make a Cthulhu statue and then looked for a way to put it into a game to justify it.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    OK question about the pandemic legacy cubes and parts. Do they come in cheap plastic bags and are the corners supposed to be rounded or sharp? I believe I was reading this is the easiest way to tell a Chinese knock off. Mine are defiantly sharp. And there little knicks like from it being snapped out of a mold.

Everything looks good though and it's hard to see anything at first glance and never seeing a copy of the game. It should be playable at least.

Edit. Looking at the comparisons. Mine are in the cheap plastic bags compared to the nice, my stickers are punched too deep and a couple are falling off the sheet almost, 2 of them are slightly lifted up. And my cards seem to be thick and have a slight bend after one shuffle.

It also was the red version which I've never seen for sale anywhere else.

Edit 2 part of the board is peeling up too. Right at the corner where th Le sticker tab for Miami is.

Edit 3. It appears I have 25 black and yellow cubes, and 24 red and blie cubes. Better to have more than less.

RickRude on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Choose Your Own Adventure: House Of Danger is exactly what I thought it would be, which is a hoot. It's also basically reading a CYOA book to each other and occasionally rolling a die. You get items and stuff you can use, but yea it's not heavy strategic gaming. Man it's real fun and silly though, if you like the concept.

Ah_Pook on
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    For those of you who like Escape Room type games (like Unlock or Exit), there is a fun book of puzzles similar to that style called Journal 29: Interactive Book Game. Every other page is some sort of puzzle (the opposite pages are simply a QR code to easily get you to the answer website), and you input the solutions into a website to get keywords, which are used in subsequent puzzles. It plays a lot like an Escape Room game, with 60 mini "rooms" to play through. I've worked my way through the first 30 puzzles with my girlfriend, at a rate of about 6 minutes per puzzle on average (some took significantly longer and some were instant-solves).

I can highly recommend it if you enjoyed either Unlock or Exit, since the puzzles are very similar.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    So I've never played pandemic. I'm reading the legacy instructions and it recommends playing the game without legacy rules to get a feel for it first.

Do you guys recommend this or just jumping right in?

RickRude wrote: »
    So I've never played pandemic. I'm reading the legacy instructions and it recommends playing the game without legacy rules to get a feel for it first.

Do you guys recommend this or just jumping right in?
    If you've never played Pandemic, yes. Play through the game at least once without Legacy stuff before jumping in. Think of it as a prologue.

Pandemic Legacy Season 2 (which uses completely different rules that are vaguely similar) recommends a prologue game, too, and I found it extremely helpful before starting the first actual game.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Ok. I'm guessing I need to find a rule book for base pandemic, because the legacy stuff that's not gonna be used is just going to confuse me in the rule book. Probably watch a video too. I watched one on legacy and understand the basics of play.

edited July 2018
    Ok. I'm guessing I need to find a rule book for base pandemic, because the legacy stuff that's not gonna be used is just going to confuse me in the rule book. Probably watch a video too. I watched one on legacy and understand the basics of play.
    I think the only Legacy stuff that you won't be using in the Prologue is anything that places a permanent sticker on the board. Otherwise, it's just base Pandemic. The rulebook itself gets stickers added on when new rules are added, so there shouldn't be a lot of extra rules for the Legacy session-to-session stuff.

But yeah, there are some good video tutorials out there for it. There's even a cheap app on Google Play if you want to just run through some games, with the computer handling all of the setup and randomness for you.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

They explain in the Legacy rulebook how to play base Pandemic. You literally just ignore the Legacy-specific rules.

But (obviously) you can't play base Pandemic with a copy once you've played even a single Legacy-style game with it.

If you've never ever played base Pandemic, I say give it a few base playthroughs until the players feel comfortable with understanding how the rules work. It isn't an especially complicated game to learn, which is part of how it's had such a wide appeal.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited July 2018

The Legacy rules are not exactly in a pristine Legacy rulebook. There’s a bunch of blank spaces for rules stickers. Without those stickers, it should be extremely close to the normal Pandemic rules.

Frem on
    There was just a couple of things I wasn't sure to and it kept referring to legacy stuff so I downloaded the pdf. Watched a video too. Have the board all set up and everyone watching a quick 5 minure video then it's time to start.

I am.excited

Yes, major props to any company that puts the rules for their games up for free download.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    My tabletop gaming is winding down. Those games I didn't sell (Mechs vs Minions, Dark Souls, Le Havre, Clans of Caldeonia) will go to a charity auction tomorrow!

I wont stop entirely, my tastes are more narrowed down now, considering Great Western Trail is my all time favorite:
    * Production value is fine and dandy, but I favor euros over games minis
    * 2 hour playtime cap
    * Fuck random (this is why I'm souring on co-op)
    * As long as Eternal is on my phone and tablet, fuck deck design. Clank and Evolution avoid this
    * Tree/nature games are the devil

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited July 2018
    Couple quick questions. Can you be dealt an epidemic card in your initial hand or are these not placed into the deck until after you get your cards?

Using forecast. We can use this right after an epidemic card to choose the order instead of shuffling them?

Can a city have more than 3 cubes when they're different colors? I think the answer is yes. It could gave 3 black and one blue from an outbreak.

Edit what are civilian cards? I assume they're a legacy thing but I font see them explained in that book either.

RickRude on
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Couple quick questions. Can you be dealt an epidemic card in your initial hand or are these not placed into the deck until after you get your cards?

Using forecast. We can use this right after an epidemic card to choose the order instead of shuffling them?

Can a city have more than 3 cubes when they're different colors? I think the answer is yes. It could gave 3 black and one blue from an outbreak.

Edit what are civilian cards? I assume they're a legacy thing but I font see them explained in that book either.

1: Shuffle deck, deal hands, split up deck and add epidemics.
    2: You still shuffle the cards, but can play forecast afterwards to rearrange some of them.
    3: Yes, they can. You're correct.
    4: I didn't play enough Risk Legacy to know this one. Sorry! >_>

• timhodgetimhodge AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Civilian cards:
    https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1470601/compiled-faq-spoilers-hidden-each-month-hidden-sep

"If your character becomes lost, destroy that character. Discard your player cards and become a Civilian, and place your pawn in any city with a Research Station; if you had actions left, you may take those actions. At the start of the next game, you can choose a character (from those left) as normal, if there are not enough Characters left, some players may need to start as Civilians."

(If they're not explained in the base rules, you'll learn about them by the time the scenarios that require their use may arise. Probably. Haven't played in a while but don't recall this being unclear; I think we got to July or August.)

0877-0596-8498 | Swirlix, Dedenne, Floette
    edited July 2018
    Ok, another question. If you run out of the player deck to draw from, that's game end? That seemed awfully quick. And we were doing really good with 3 cures found, 2 cured, and one just about to swap cards for.

I feel like we had to have done something wrong somewhere. We were moving around pretty briskly and working together.

Is it just hard? Is it using the legacy deck? I think we gave more cards to draw from than the base game.

This was with 4 players.

Edit in the end thought it was a success. My mom even had fun and was engaging with the game where normally she just does what we say is the best move. Played two games, ran out if cubes on the first one quickly, and the second one we ran ounit cards t draw to lose. We were all really disappointed :(

RickRude on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Yeah it's hard

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    Should we try to win a round before moving on to legacy? Or now that we have familiarity with it should we move on?

I honestly have no clue what we did wrong. I guess you have to move quicker and take more risks? But sharing information is so hard, I'm not sure how you move quicker. It would take planning ahead turns to be able to exchange the info we needed, and then you need someone keeping out breaks out of control.

I dunno. It was a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to both playing base pandemic again and trying legacy. But I really don't know what we should /could have done differently, and that's kind of a downer you know?

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Should we try to win a round before moving on to legacy? Or now that we have familiarity with it should we move on?

I honestly have no clue what we did wrong. I guess you have to move quicker and take more risks? But sharing information is so hard, I'm not sure how you move quicker. It would take planning ahead turns to be able to exchange the info we needed, and then you need someone keeping out breaks out of control.

I dunno. It was a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to both playing base pandemic again and trying legacy. But I really don't know what we should /could have done differently, and that's kind of a downer you know?

I practiced with the Pandemic game app many times before playing Legacy. I also used it as a referee of sorts.

However, the app cheats for the player in just one way: it will never cause consecutive Epidemics, which can happen in real life.

Good.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

Did you have the scientist? Did the operations expert move pawns to each other? Did you cheaply create research stations in handy spots? Did you use card both to fly from and fly to cities? You probably don't want to end up discarding cards for hand size, you want to be using up cards more than that. Maybe don't eradicate diseases once they're cured, either, you really need to race to all four cures

sig.gif
  • CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    3 cures found, 2 cured...

I assume that second bit you actually meant eradicated. While eradication is nice, it's not required for victory. You need only discover the 4 cures to win. What you need to do now is focus on getting those cures out faster and a little less about treating all cubes. The balance where you're both trading cards quickly and making sure to keep the outbreaks down is what you truly seek.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
    edited July 2018
    You immediately win when you discover 4 cures. Period. Don’t focus on eradicating unless it is convenient for your game.

EDIT: When you finally start Legacy-ing up, there will be different victory conditions as the game progresses. Beeline for those every game.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Choose Your Own Adventure: House Of Danger is exactly what I thought it would be, which is a hoot. It's also basically reading a CYOA book to each other and occasionally rolling a die. You get items and stuff you can use, but yea it's not heavy strategic gaming. Man it's real fun and silly though, if you like the concept.

I've been meaning to get something that I can solo and this is something that I find really interesting, but the idea that it's based off of a gamebook makes me think I should consider the book first? Maybe.... I don't know.

Is the book just choices and page numbers? And the new game adds items and other stuff?

So from what you guys are saying, it seems we understand the base game and how it works, yet still don't know the small things that help you and how to win. For example, we were often at max hand limit throughout the game. We had a medic, a generalist, researcher, and scientist. We were trying to get cards to the scientist and the main strategy was to funnel cards through the researcher to accomplish this. We did only one addition cdc set up at the end.

So we've played it twice, once losing really quickly to running out of cubes, and once running out of cards when we thought we knew the strategy and had the game under hand.

Should we play some more basic pandemic and achieve a victory before playing legacy? We all really enjoyed it, and it will be our first legacy experience , so I want to make it as enjoyable a possible for everyone. I think maybe a couple more games should be done as me and my dad really get it, my mom and GF were confused at times and just absorbing everything.

So from what you guys are saying, it seems we understand the base game and how it works, yet still don't know the small things that help you and how to win. For example, we were often at max hand limit throughout the game. We had a medic, a generalist, researcher, and scientist. We were trying to get cards to the scientist and the main strategy was to funnel cards through the researcher to accomplish this. We did only one addition cdc set up at the end.

So we've played it twice, once losing really quickly to running out of cubes, and once running out of cards when we thought we knew the strategy and had the game under hand.

Should we play some more basic pandemic and achieve a victory before playing legacy? We all really enjoyed it, and it will be our first legacy experience , so I want to make it as enjoyable a possible for everyone. I think maybe a couple more games should be done as me and my dad really get it, my mom and GF were confused at times and just absorbing everything.

Definitely keep playing base Pandemic until everyone feels confident about base Pandemic, because just about every single game you play of Pandemic Legacy will be introducing new things that you have to contend with on top of the base game and whatever came in previously-played sessions.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Armoroc wrote: »

I've been meaning to get something that I can solo and this is something that I find really interesting, but the idea that it's based off of a gamebook makes me think I should consider the book first? Maybe.... I don't know.

Is the book just choices and page numbers? And the new game adds items and other stuff?

Choose Your Own Adventure books are a really well known series of kids books, and yes they're just choose a thing go to page X. Most of the time you choose a thing and die in a silly way if memory serves. I don't know that they would hold ones attention as an adult without nostalgic affection for them. I know there was a lot of game book talk in here recently, someone could probably point you towards some that would hold up if your looking for that.

The CYOA game really nails the vibe and art and silliness of the old books, which is exactly what I was looking for.

• CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Try to use the cards rather than lose them. Use them to build research stations (more places to make cures, plus you can move between them) or to quickly get around and exchange cards faster.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I always forget when playing pandemic that cards can be used to fly you around the board. Either to their city location, or if you are in a city you have, anywhere.

Also, if you're trying to give cards to one person to then give them to another, that will be too many actions and turns to accomplish what drawing cards from the deck may do. Pandemic has never been an easy game for those learning it. I think we have a 25% victory rate in base pandemic. However, learning to let chance happen and risking a city so that you can get to where you need to go; or risking a turn to see what you draw before trading a card away, is part of the game.

In legacy we won 12 of our 14 games. It was a shock to us since we were used to losing, so when you do start, be sure to remember and reiterate the objectives.

And sometimes, the stories from losing a game can be more fun to remember and retell than winning.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    -Make sure you start with 'easy' mode-4 epidemic cards.
    -You should be doing your role actions a lot. The researcher should be the library for everyone to draw from, the Scientist particularly. Medic should be maximizing their mega cure, etc.
    -That said, don't spend too much time passing cards around, since it is really time-consuming. I wait until someone gets 3-4 matching cards before trying to get them their last ones.
    -Eradicating a disease is low priority. It's nice if you can manage it, but never necessary. I've found that diseases you have a chance of eradicating usually don't have many active cards in the infection deck to begin with.
    -Don't be shy about building research stations. The more you have, the more useful they are. The operations specialist is my favorite role for just this reason.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I love eliminating viruses. It feels good. It also almost always is the wrong move and makes you lose. Maybe legacy changes that I haven’t played it.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Man, I really need to finish off our Pandemic Legacy playthrough.
    The other couple we were playing with split, and we moved away, though :(

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

The game's that hard, huh?

No

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

The game's that hard, huh?

Ha, all completely unrelated events.

Heh, I fell in love with my current girlfriend over Pandemic Legacy Season 1. It is the crucible through which relationships are forged and broken.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited July 2018
    Advanced Pandemic advice:
    If you are running out of cards before winning, then you are probably just waiting for the exact right card to show up in someone's hand. There could be situations, though, when you simply run out of cards of that color before the deck is through, basically guaranteeing failure. There are exactly 12 cities of every color and exactly 1 card in the player deck for each city. You can look through the discards and everyone's hand to figure out how many cards of that particular color are left in the player deck.

Because there are only 12 of each color, any ability that reduces the number of cards that you need to find a cure is pretty huge. As is any ability that allows you to "dumpster dive" and grab stuff from the discards (I don't think Regular Pandemic has this... maybe expansions?).

It also behooves you to evenly "rotate" through the colors in terms of what cards you burn to transport yourself to other areas of the board. Sometimes it's better to burn, say, a Black card for a Red city that's nearby it, instead of going directly to that city with the Red card in your hand, if you are playing with probabilities like that.

There is also only 1 infection card per city. And since the escalation mechanic guarantees that the same cities will show up again and again, you can predict what will happen with future epidemics. A city with 3 cubes is probably screwed unless you do something about it, but a city with 2 cubes is relatively safe for 1 epidemic and dangerous after that.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    38thDoe wrote: »
    I love eliminating viruses. It feels good. It also almost always is the wrong move and makes you lose. Maybe legacy changes that I haven’t played it.
    Legacy changes the objectives for winning every so often (usually each month, although the early months are pretty stagnant), so sometimes you aren't on the timer as much as a regular Pandemic game.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »

Legacy S1 rewards eradication but IIRC never requires it.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    Armoroc wrote: »

The audience for Full-Solo and Optional-Solo boardgaming seems to have been growing quite a bit over recent years (Kickstarter has probably helped with that). I can't guarantee good advice, but as a near exclusively solo-gamer, I'm familiar with much of the landscape. If you have some ideas as to the sort of things you're looking for maybe I can at least point you in a direction.

This discussion has been closed.