As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The ongoing adventures of the [Elite Dangerous CYOA]

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Clearly the answer is for you two to pull out and then several more people join as dedicated badasses recruited to try to retake the ship and get chewed up, leaving only Branden and Danielle alive.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Is that offer to spin up a char?

Could use one or two more people so it's not just me calling the shots. :D

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Well everyone owns all the characters. Even if you feel more attached to 'yours'.

Also for the most part presume if there's stuff to be found or of value it's happened automatically or I've already rolled for it. There's zero point to me trying to do a stream lined PbP if after every encounter I need you guys to tell me to do basic stuff. Unless it's a weird request I wouldn't worry about it.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Is that offer to spin up a char?

Could use one or two more people so it's not just me calling the shots. :D

More an observation that we've walked you into what is clearly an Aliens-type situation!

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Cool. Let’s press our luck then and advance to the next room. If we don’t find anything worthwhile there, we can duck out, collect info and go home.

Obviously we know they are here now so let’s be cautious.

• Options
    So, speaking of shit tons of money

The pair didn't move very far to stumble across their next point of interest. Tucked at the back of the hanger, clearly seperated from the various junk contraptions and situations sat a globe of perfectly smooth metal. It's interaction with the light from the crew's weapons and flash lights seeming entirely unlike anything else. It seemed to absorb light and distort it. Even looking at it was causing Brendan to feel a tad nauseous.

Not that it curbed his enthusiasm "holy sweet Jesus," was about all he could muster. Only explaining with a blunt elbow to the gut from his larger comrade.

"That's alien, like, y'know, capital A alien," a whistle of appreciation coming from Danielle as she stalked over to it. Brendan rightfully pointing out "wait wait wait what if it's not safe!" in a sputtering tone that was only silenced when Danielle calmly put the orb in her backpack.

"For the amount I've heard shit like this goes for I was willing to lose a hand," she answered with a knowing smirk.
    So, for reference that's worth 8,000,000Cr probably less if you hand it over to your employer but, y'know, technically they do own any salvage from expeditions. Thoughts for when you make it back to Diane-1290

• Options
    "You know, it feels like we've pushed our luck about as far as we should have. Let's get out of here. I'll try to jack into the computers before we go and grab as much data as I can but let's not risk anything more on this job."

"Plus, if that's as valuable as you think, we've come out ahead. Let's live to actually see our money."
    Wow, yeah. Let's get out of dodge.

I don't want to risk getting eaten/killed with actual cash in hand.

I'll check the computers on the way out to gather more data, but given "Rogue AI" is the culprit here, the skill check is about getting safe data and not somehow copying over some AI that will try to kill us.

• Options
    Branden tried his luck at the computer terminal to find little to no joy. Unsurprisingly, even for the hyper talented, hacking a rogue AI jacked warvessel is a task beyond that of a wristcomm.

Exiting the vessel was thankfully reasonably easy. If unsettlingly quiet.

The question on the way back was an obvious one: Should they tell the employers about the orb or try and keep it for themselves? Their salvage contract promises 20% of any large find after all.

• Options
    Branden is shit for bluffing, and only marginally better at trading. If Danielle thinks they could get away with keeping it, he'd go along, but she'd have to run point hiding and lying about it, as he'd likely screw it all up.

If they both suck at it, may be better to just turn it over and take the 20% instead of risk the trouble. I don't know how much this could reverberate if they get caught keeping the thing, so as much as I want all those credits, I'm leaning towards taking the smaller cut in the hopes of getting more jobs and still getting a decent pay day.

What would Danielle think?

• Options
    Also, just looking at equipment in general, is there a good "use this to hack" equipment item?

I'm not finding anything that would say that you really should have this if you're a hacker, except maybe the Hand Com, Hacker Model. I guess I just expected that there'd be a portable computer that would be expected for the really hard jobs.

• Options
    The espionage supplement has the proper hacking tools. I’ll post them when I’m back at my pc.

Also I’m gonna let the question of what to do hang in the air so others can contribute.

• Options
    @Auralynx @Ringo @Doobh

You got us into this mess. Should we try to pawn the Alien orb off on our own and risk getting caught or just take the finders fee but lose money?

• Options
    Clearly you should turn the orb in to the ICG. They'll pay you, honor demands it.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Also after this mission there’ll probably be a period of cash spending/ship upgrading so it’d be the perfect time for a 3rd pc if anyone has ideas. We don’t have a hot shot pilot yet after all.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Turn it in. Build some rep as professionals

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Okay, so it'd be 900K between the two PC's plus the payment coming out to an extra 50K each because I like easy maths.

For rank points (XP) I'm only gonna grant 4 for the mission. For reference you get 1 for defeating meaningful enemies and 1 per skill use that pushes the story forwards. So they're both close to being 'Mostly Harmless'.

I've updated the sheets with that stuff. So if anyone wants to buy stuff go for it. Unless it's A rated components or a rare equipment it's free game.

• Options
    When you get a chance, please post the espionage stuff.

I'm picking up a new ship because the Sidewinder is a bit of a POS, but that still leaves me with quite a bit of credits on hand, so I'd like Branden to be able to get his hands onto some stuff that helps hacking more (plus, just need to pick up some general utility stuff so he's not worthless when they leave the ships...)

• Options
    Is it the 950k per character? Or that divided by 2? (475K each)

• Options
    Per character. I've added it to the sheet.

xrzil24t7uf9.png

The ship choices are interesting. There's a few 4-500K 'deluxe smalls' but otherwise you're at a price point where you can really trick out one of the cheap ships or you can hop up to those 400,000 ships and probably have to skim the fittings more than you'd like.

You also get I think... is it 70% re-sale value on your ship?

• Options
    I'm looking at the Cobra MK III - Metrit.

It's a step up (especially in distance it can travel), plus components are better, and has more slots that I can drop stuff in.

• Options
    You can always just buy the base version of a ship and deck it out as you please. Unless it's an A grade component it's readily available.

• Options
    Also, can I just rip the Utility item out of my old ship prior to selling it to put in the new one for free?

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Yeah but then you have to figure out the re-sale value minus that component.

There's no avoiding maths with ship loadouts.

EDIT: Also it has to be the same size, obviously.

Albino Bunny on
  • Options
    Here's what I'm thinking/calculating:
    Start with 950,906

Ship:
    Cobra MK III - Metrit - 349,720
    Upgrade Thrusters to 4C - 178,900
    Upgrade Power Distrubutor to 3C - 25,330
    Upgrade Sensors to 3A - 158,330
    Total - 712,280

Purchase for empty slots (2 med weapon, 2 utility empty):
    Manifest Scanner - E Grade 13544
    Medium Gimballed Pulse Laser 35400
    Medium Gimballed Pulse Laser 35400
    Total - 84,334

Personal items:
    Assistant Computer Hack, Basic 5,000
    Assistant Security Hack, Basic 5,000
    MLR40 Infantry Rifle (Laser Rifle) 49,000
    Total - 59,000

Grand Total - 855,624

Previous Ship Cost - 98,840
    (Subtract) Chaff Launcher - 8,500
    Value - 90,340
    75% - 67,755

Leaves Branden with 163,037 cr remaining

Now someone come tell me if I've missed something big here. New ship, better gun, assistants so maybe next time I can get that Hack off. Still have some cash laying around in case it's needed.

• Options
    No A components unless they're native to the build (they're the sort of thing you have to put effort to find) and it's kinda weird to have a manifest scanner with no other piracy tools vs like, a kill warrant scanner.

Also the infantry rifle is a rare item and therefore only available if the GM says so :P

• Options
    ah, sorry, didn't see that one was rare. Also didn't know about the A components.

Rifle will be dropped, sensors will be downgraded to B.

I'm still toying with the other utility slot, to be honest, so I'll either drop that entirely for now, or fill it with something else. I have a list of other possible personal items but I need to relook at them as I'm now understanding the color coding of green and blue on items.

Will post an updated list later on tonight.

• Options
    Pretty much all the personal items are dead cheap.

Anything that's costing multiple thousands or which has a specific name is probably rare.

You can feel free to just edit the character sheet directly if you want.

• Options
    Yeah, I'm going to eventually. I was playing with a test version of it because I found other formula bugs I was fixing as well.

• Options
    Also hey, a cute detail I wasn't aware of: The Fuel Rat background is actually based off a player created and run organization.

They've done some fairly dramatic stuff in service to their roleplay as good Samaritans.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I was basically doing a touch and go with a character, but lemme see what's up

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Doobh wrote: »
    I was basically doing a touch and go with a character, but lemme see what's up

Good news, you’re obscenely rich for very little work.

I don’t think there’s even a bad news part to that.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    alright, so Danielle's got the streetwise to maybe pawn this off safely if we wanna go that route

however, the ICG seems kinda pointless to screw over? as nice as making a tidy sum of money is, imagine the kind of work we'd get if we turn that little sucker in

(sidenote: Danielle's pronouns are they/them)

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Doobh wrote: »
    alright, so Danielle's got the streetwise to maybe pawn this off safely if we wanna go that route

however, the ICG seems kinda pointless to screw over? as nice as making a tidy sum of money is, imagine the kind of work we'd get if we turn that little sucker in

(sidenote: Danielle's pronouns are they/them)

Ah yeah, I’ll correct that in the morning. Sorry about that.

• Options
    That's a freaking awesome story. I've read other stuff about the game before, but I love it that people gather to help like that (usually seems the opposite).

I updated my equipment and ship. Ended up with point defense for the extra utility slot.

@Doobh I'd love another PC in the game, regardless of what skill set you want. Also, I'd be willing to toss some creds your way to help you outfit at start better. I'm sitting on 200k after my buys, so I'd be will to give you a good chunk of that (at least 150k) to beef up something (maybe ship?) since you missed the big payday.

• Options
    That's a freaking awesome story. I've read other stuff about the game before, but I love it that people gather to help like that (usually seems the opposite).

I updated my equipment and ship. Ended up with point defense for the extra utility slot.

Doobh I'd love another PC in the game, regardless of what skill set you want. Also, I'd be willing to toss some creds your way to help you outfit at start better. I'm sitting on 200k after my buys, so I'd be will to give you a good chunk of that (at least 150k) to beef up something (maybe ship?) since you missed the big payday.

Unless someone else's been messing with it I was fooling around with a Navy-trained Pistol Guy while work was slow earlier in the blank sheet. Feel free to overwrite, obviously.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    I made Danielle, actually

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Ah, well you’re already loaded then. Go nuts!

• Options
    I've been pretty happy with how Albino's been handling her, plus my attention span is very limited :)

just gonna keep this book marked and pop in help direct the narrative

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    @Albino Bunny are you spending Danielle's credits or do you need me to help?

• Options
    edited July 2018
    I’m waiting to see what sorta role aura takes. Also Aura feel free to grab like a 3/400k starter ship instead considering how boosted the cash amount in this game is right now.

Edit, also kinda tempted to throw in a fourth pc which is:

Fuel rat, frontier trader, petty criminal partner (wise guy, boxer)

Flying an Adder or type 6.

Albino Bunny on