As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Football/Soccer] Thread about kickin' balls

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    5xd5booca90b.jpg

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    5xd5booca90b.jpg

Much more sensible than the tattoos

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    We're hated internationally by pretty much every country so seeing the anti English sentiment is disappointing but entirely expected.

I think I'll be cheering for France, they're our neighbours over the water after all!

Liiya on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Liiya wrote: »
    We're hated internationally by pretty much every country so seeing the anti English sentiment is disappointing but entirely expected.

This might be true, but I don't think so. Certainly the other home nations and Ireland love to support whomever we're playing against (possible exception of NI, depending on, you know, things). Argentina love to hate us but that's entirely reciprocated. But with, I dunno, Germany and so forth I don't think there's any great will for England to lose (unless we're playing them). I doubt most other countries think about our team enough to bother hating them, because we haven't, for a very long time, been much of a threat to anyone.

Go back twenty or thirty years and it might be more true, on the very sensible grounds that the sooner we were out the sooner the sizable contingent of knuckle dragging scumbags who followed the team would go home.

• CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    I think the echo chamber of internet comment sections probably makes the anti-English sentiments seem stronger than they are. I'm an Englishman in Scotland, I watched it in a small town pub, and aside from some to-be-expected ribbing the tone in the place was one of commiseration. You'll always have wind up merchants, but the faster you recognise them for what they are, the faster you can ignore them. The loudest have the least to say etc.

I, and pretty much every supporter of the national team I know, have never had England nailed on to win a tournament. Chanting 'Its coming home!/Its our year boys!/We're going all the way!' isn't arrogance, it's hope and support. Like, we're not thick, our tournament record isn't great for a nation with such a big footballing history, but for a month every few years we like to believe. Especially against the backdrop of a lovely summer and a government falling apart.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I lost track of how many times I’ve heard “sure we never would have heard the end of it” this morning.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I think you're probably right its definite echo-chamber thats skewed my perception.

I think it'll be a long time before we get a better chance, but oh well. Onwards to the Euros in two years.

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    Imagine being an Englishman and having to choose whether to root for the people that eliminated them, or the French.

I'm full on rooting for Croatia because come on.... Don't we all want a plucky underdog story? Do we really want France to win again?

That said if I were putting money on it I would bet on France.

If it can't be England I always want a new winner of the Cup.

Casual wrote: »
    Absalon wrote: »
    Imagine being an Englishman and having to choose whether to root for the people that eliminated them, or the French.

I'm full on rooting for Croatia because come on.... Don't we all want a plucky underdog story? Do we really want France to win again?

That said if I were putting money on it I would bet on France.

Yeah, heart says Croatia, head says France. I've always liked how Croatia play, and Luca Modric (the swine), but I think the French will have too much going forward for them.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »

I think I'll be cheering for France, they're our neighbours over the water after all!

Norway, and I think the rest of Scandinavia, love England when it comes to football

The cheer when England scored yesterday was massive

I guess it's sort of a "cheer when they win, laugh when they lose" kinda relationship

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    Bogart wrote: »
    Wrong flag.

Ssssshhhhhhhh

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Sad we lost, but it's been nice to hear the radio stations scramble to fill the gaps created by pulling Three Lions off the schedule of being played three times an hour.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    klemming wrote: »
    Sad we lost, but it's been nice to hear the radio stations scramble to fill the gaps created by pulling Three Lions off the schedule of being played three times an hour.

I don't think I've heard it once on the radio. I only have 6 Music on at work, though. I can see it being in permanent rotation on 1 and 2, though.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I'm rooting for Croatia, absolutely. That they knocked us out doesn't even come into it, they've had a great WC, would be awesome if they won.

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

And all the English people having to find new things to fill gaps in conversation now they can't say "it's coming home"

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

And all the English people having to find new things to fill gaps in conversation now they can't say "it's coming home"

It's just deciding whether to go to Saint Tropez or Dubrovnik now, having ruled out Skegness.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Wrong flag.

It's in there. Somewhere.

• BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular

I don't think I've heard it once on the radio. I only have 6 Music on at work, though. I can see it being in permanent rotation on 1 and 2, though.

My local radio station had it playing at least once every hour yesterday. I imagine a lot of local stations did something similar.

Heck, they even started a campaign to rename the town's South Gate to the obvious. They failed, but got the eponymous roundabout renamed instead.

PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Fucking forum double post.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Because the same guy who owns Juventus also owns that bit of Fiat and they think that 90 odd million could probably be put to better use improving conditions or wages or both

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    Megamillionaire being pro-worker? Maybe that will work out for you.

• LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    I haven't watched Serie A in a few years. When did Juventus get that dopey new crest?

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    I did a double take at the Jeep ad before I remembered that it's Fiat Chrysler nowadays.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Because the same guy who owns Juventus also owns that bit of Fiat and they think that 90 odd million could probably be put to better use improving conditions or wages or both

Except they are actually both separate publicly traded companies. It's not exactly on the level to make moves to the benefit of one set of shareholders at the cost of a different set.

But it could help Fiat anyways, for example with his spanish skills after all that time in Madrid Renaldo could inform management why you should not name a car Punto.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Not chat

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    I haven't watched Serie A in a few years. When did Juventus get that dopey new crest?

Since last year. It follows the worrying trend of clubs dispensing with crests with historic symbolism for soulless, easily marketable ones.

See also: Leeds United's aborted attempt, Arsenals gradually dumbing down from glorious baroque-ness to clip-art grade, almost the entirety of rugby league in the mid 90s.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018

Except they are actually both separate publicly traded companies. It's not exactly on the level to make moves to the benefit of one set of shareholders at the cost of a different set.

But it could help Fiat anyways, for example with his spanish skills after all that time in Madrid Renaldo could inform management why you should not name a car Punto.

punto means point

you may be thinking of a similar sounding word with no n

Chanus on
    Such a shame the World Cup is all over and there's no more football until the league starts up again.

Such a shame the World Cup is all over and there's no more football until the league starts up again.

haha bogart you’re so funny pretending there’s no football now because your team is out

there’s MLS

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

What's 🇭🇷 that 🇭🇷? I 🇭🇷 can't 🇭🇷 hear 🇭🇷 you.
    🇭🇷

Chanus wrote: »

haha bogart you’re so funny pretending there’s no football now because your team is out

there’s MLS

League of Ireland is on now too

Bohs v Sligo in the #GreatestLeagueInTheWorld tonight

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    They should can the stupid 3rd place game

It's shit, no one cares, just depresses everyone

• Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    For sa

pffft the champions league and europa qualifiers have just started.

This discussion has been closed.