As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

School me on THC vape.

Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better.Registered User regular
edited July 2018 in Help / Advice Forum
So I've been using edibles for a while. Problem is, I don't like having to set aside a few hours of the day for the magic to happen. I want to get the ball rolling a lot more quickly.

So I'm thinking about getting a THC vape and I'm overwhelmed. I have not a clue on what to get or where to start. So, does anyone have any advice regarding this?

Casually Hardcore on

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    The first thing you'll want to figure out is if you want one that vapes flower or concentrate (could be oil, wax, product-specific cartridges... lots of things). I prefer flower because I have a better selection of strains and I like the residual taste of flower, but the concentrate ones tend to be less messy and hit harder (more like a dab).

From there, a price range. The cheapest vape pens will probably run around $50, and very reasonably nice ones can be had for $100. Up to $300 and the sky's mostly the limit.

I have less in the way of specific product recommendations but I'd recommend taking a peek at these. I don't have much in the way of recommendations for concentrate vapes, simply because I haven't explored them much.

Magic flight launch box ($119, dry herb only... this thing is charmingly low tech and real fun to use)
    Pax 3 ($250, can do herb OR concentrates. This is more like if the iPod was designed to get you high instead of play music)

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Bluetooth?!

Okay, I think I'm about to go down a rabbit hole.

Thanks for the recommendations, though. I'll be sure to look at those later.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Are you a cop? You have to tell me if you are. It's like...entrapment, man.

That said, I'm going to assume you are 18 and live in a legal weed state for the purposes of this post. =P

That that said, my, uh, friend really loves the Indigo Pro. It's cheap, has almost no moving parts and a long battery life. The concentrate cartridges aren't cheap - they're more of the middle to upper middle class of weed, but they are wildly effective, clean, and super discreet.

http://pureindigopro.com/

• Options
    Bluetooth?!

The Pax is rather on the ridiculous end of these kinda things; they have a dramatically cheaper model that only works with cartridges specifically made for the device (think keurig pods) if you want to just dip your toes in.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Bluetooth?!

The Pax is rather on the ridiculous end of these kinda things; they have a dramatically cheaper model that only works with cartridges specifically made for the device (think keurig pods) if you want to just dip your toes in.

Okay, that cheap model might be exactly what I'm looking for to see how it's like. Thanks! That $250 model kind of scared me for a bit.

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    If your issue is with timing these beboe pastilles take about 5-10 minutes to kick in and are a great little buzz - https://www.beboe.com/product/inspired-pastilles/.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    The indigo pro is ridiculously pleasant and convenient

sig.gif
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Get a Volcano 8-)

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Get a Volcano 8-)

Man I wish... there's a couple places around my locale that rent them out, I've been thinking about it forever

(FYI to anyone else, the Volcano is a ~$600 table vaporizer that fills up balloons with vapor... it's widely considered the best vape experience you can have, and great for group sessions)

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Man, the volcano is an ancient piece of shit compared to my pax 2.

I bought one on eBay, maybe, 10 years ago for ~$250. I gave it away when I moved because it was a pointless waste of space and time in comparison to the last 10 years of technology. I didn't even know they had any value, because its such a piece of shit.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Get a Volcano 8-)

There's also the Mighty, made by the same company. Only portable vaporizer approved for medical, I believe.

• Options
    Went in to get a indigo pro but they don't have the cartridge I wanted. I ended up with this disposable to try this out. It does exactly what I want and it's nice. Wasn't expecting the nasty taste though.

Also ended up spending way less then I thought I would.

• Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    Get a Volcano 8-)

This is the way to go. I've got one myself.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    For out and about the standard cartridge oil pens that you can get at most dispensaries are pretty good and work with any cheap battery really

The threading is pretty universal

poo
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Man, the volcano is an ancient piece of shit compared to my pax 2.

I bought one on eBay, maybe, 10 years ago for ~$250. I gave it away when I moved because it was a pointless waste of space and time in comparison to the last 10 years of technology. I didn't even know they had any value, because its such a piece of shit.

You talking about volcanos? Their build quality is really high, they are pretty far from being "a piece of shit".

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    I mean, I don't know if we're thinking portable or stationary vaporizers in general here but in my experience the Volcano was absolutely the best

Not to mention being able to pass the balloon around is a super easy and great method for communal use and is its own sort of fun

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    The Volcano Digit is in a class of its own. Probably the best you can get.

Pax is the go to for out and about though, for sure.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    So concentrates.

Is it all the same or is there variance between the companies?

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I'll have to tell my buddy he should sell that shit if he kept it. He didn't really want it cause we had used it one time together and he also wasn't impressed.

I'll have to let him know other people still value them. It was the analog one, not digital, but yeah. I still think it's a piece of shit

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    So concentrates.

Is it all the same or is there variance between the companies?

Just read reviews. With concentrates you'll want to pay attention to the extraction method as there are a number of different processes that result in different products/flavors.

If you do go the way of concentrates you'll typically be looking at a different kind of vape rig than what you get with a flower rig. Concentrate vape rigs are more dab-adjacent. The unanimous winner for portable rigs for concentrates is the Saionara atomizer which is literally just the atomizer that you attach to regular e-juice vape rig. I also have a Yocan Evolve Plus that isn't as great a rig but is infinitely easier to use.

Personally, I've ended up primarily using disposable vape pens along with the Toko Gold for refillables. I also own a Volcano, 2 PAX's, and a few other things. Nothing competes with the simplicity of a basic disposable/refillable pen however.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Tbh I’ve had a Pax 2 forever and I never use it

It requires a lot of material etc, and can be a bit smelly too

I use my magic flight box a lot for raw material because it’s tiny and efficient and simple (and with the power adapter becomes useful for at home), and vape cartridge pens

poo
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    I have two main go-tos myself.

The first is the more traditional pen vaporizer for concentrates. I got the Kandypens Prism first, while looking for a pen. It's pretty good for what I now use it for. It's not big enough to really vaprorize everything at once, so you end up taking several draws from it to actually finish a dab. Also, I mean, it's a pen, so there's no water pipe or anything to smooth things out. What it's great at is taking somewhere. Mostly, for instance, if I'm going to the pub down the street, it's great for being able to put something in my pocket that I can take outside and vape that doesn't have too much or long-lasting of a smell.

The real show is the at-home one though.

For at-home use, I have the Dr. Dabber Boost Black Edition, which is a nice little mini-rig. It's still marketed as "portable", but it's portable in the sense that you could take it to a friends house, not that you can just carry it around.

I cannot recommend the Boost enough. It's pretty easy to use (Turn it on, Wait until the light changes colour, drop the concentrate on the nail and work it around a bit to really get it going, start inhaling, put the carb cap on, keep inhaling, exhale). It's great for doing a proper dab where you can do it all at once, and the water pipe really smooths out the flavour and heat. Also it's pretty easy to clean, since the nail has enough space to really work a q-tip around, and the water pipe can just be flushed with alcohol. I've heard that the battery isn't super great, but I've never run into it because I just charge it between dabs once I start for the night. Also, if I use my pen, my wife can often smell it on my beard/breath, but I've never had a problem with the Boost, I think as a combination of the bigger but single hit, and the water pipe.

If you are looking for a situation where you'll be looking to chill at home, the Boost is absolutely perfect.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    The indigo pro is ridiculously pleasant and convenient

Yes, I'm a huge fan of it as well.

camo_sig2.png