As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DCEU]: The Batman, The

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited March 2020 in Debate and/or Discourse
DC currently makes better superhero comics. Fact.

TzWVLl2.jpg

DC currently makes better superhero cartoons. Fact.

QWEwikF.jpg

yBgvE37.gif

DC currently has the better superhero fighting game. Fact.

pypkSA2.jpg

DC currently makes better superhero movies.

7LeJfB2.gif

...well, you can't win them all.

It's not a secret the DCEU has had problems. From not getting tone correctly like with nearly everything Superman related, to internal factors like poor management and direction, and sadly outside factors causing problems in production of their biggest movie to date in Justice League, everything's been wonky. For every step forward, it seems like two steps back.

But there is hope!

On the horizon is Aquaman, scheduled for release on December 21st:

BDvvEvB.jpg

After that, we have the anticipated SHAZAM! film, scheduled for April 5th 2019:

NkaQOJg.jpg

And after that, we have The Lourve's Lovely Lady herself, Diana Prince, returning for Wonder Woman 2 on November 1, 2019:

PmVrEQV.jpg

Also in the pipeline are:
-a Black Adam movie
-Suicide Squad 2
-Gotham City Sirens
-TWO Joker movies
-a Batman solo movie
-a Flash movie
-a Cyborg movie
-and a Green Lantern Corps movie.

The topic is DC movies and occasionally DC Entertainment as a whole when applicable.

TexiKen on

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    "Some of these facts seem suspect."

*checks thread author*

"... story checks out."

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Me: DC Universe is going to have a Harley Quinn cartoon.
    Kids: Hooray!
    Me: It's adult oriented.
    Kids: ...

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Netflix did just put up some of their DC Super Hero girls animated specials which could keep them entertained. I don't know if those are as good as their other cartoons or those one minute episodes they used to do.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Me: DC Universe is going to have a Harley Quinn cartoon.
    Kids: Hooray!
    Me: It's adult oriented.
    Kids: ...

This'll either be really good, or really bad, there is no middle ground.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: the best move that WB can do is to start over, since the existing DCU is too contaminated by snyders idiocy.

Once that's done, start working on fresh IP's that have modest budgets of around 50-80 million with a few going over 100 million if they're certain that they can nail both the box office and the critical support.

Above all else: stop making everything batman. I'd sooner hit myself in the groin with an adjustable wrench then watch another batman movie right now.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    The non-DCEU Joaquin Phoenix Joker movie is going to start filming in September because why not?

On a side-note, my kids watched Justice League for the first time. A couple of hot takes from them:

8 year old: This Aquaman is so cool. Is he going to be in the next movie or is it that orange shirt guy?
    12 year old: The Flash is faster than Superman. That scene is stupid.

And they asked about the mother boxes and what were they doing with them and how were parademons made. The big question they kept on asking was "Where's Darkseid? I don't like this axe guy."

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    If that standalone Joker movie does well at all, WB is kinda screwing itself, right? Nobody is going to want to watch the Jared Leto Joker after they've seen a better version.

I guess one cool thing they could do is just have multiple Jokers in the DCEU and have it be an "I'm Spartacus" thing. It would be kind of an extension of "Let me tell you how I got these scars". Just have multiple "Jokers" operating at the same time, nobody know's who the original one is.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Leading to Joker V Joker: Dawn of What The Fuck Is This Shit.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    klemming wrote: »
    Leading to Joker V Joker: Dawn of What The Fuck Is This Shit.

Tag line: "The fan boys will still argue it's better then anything marvel is putting out!"

2Bfdu1O.jpg

Kind of wish it was beer (and it's obvious why they didn't do that) but this will do, the costume looks good. What you aren't seeing is Jay & Silent Bob singing Jungle Love just to the side.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I'd still prefer a bit darker suit (yes, the grimdark memes looked better!), but if they're making it mostly a comedy this will probably work better or at least well enough.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    They are reeeeeeealy pushing the soda thing for some reason.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    It kinda looks like he's wearing one of those muscle suits, like George Michael in Arrested Development.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/joaquin-phoenixs-joker-origin-movie-officially-a-go-1126127
    Todd Phillips is directing the [Joker] film and co-wrote the script, which the studio describes as being an “exploration of a man disregarded by society [that] is not only a gritty character study, but also a broader cautionary tale.” Scott Silver co-wrote the script.
    They are never going to learn.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    There has GOT to be some warring factions at WB at this point over the Jared Leto and Joauin Phoenix Joker projects. Unless they really are that stupid.

Didn't the comics have a thing where it turned out there were three Jokers and always had been? Or something?

cloudeagle wrote: »
    There has GOT to be some warring factions at WB at this point over the Jared Leto and Joauin Phoenix Joker projects. Unless they really are that stupid.

This is WB modus operandi, it's Game of Thrones over there between the divisions. That's how they like it.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

This is WB modus operandi, it's Game of Thrones over there between the divisions. That's how they like it.

Which doesn't stop 'stupid' from being a correct answer too. For all I know they think that both films can be successful and provide an entertaining deathmatch between the two productions.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Didn't the comics have a thing where it turned out there were three Jokers and always had been? Or something?
    I'm not sure exactly where I heard it, but I always liked the idea that the Joker wasn't an actual person. That it was either a sentient virus, a possessing insanity god or some kind of bodylocked spirit. It attaches itself to one person, and infects/possesses them, but it can't extricate itself, except on the death of it's host. It gave a logical reason why even someone like Batman wouldn't kill him. Cause the argument that even with his "code", Batman wouldn't kill someone responsible for so many deaths, after so many escapes, arguably would make him complicit.

Instead, according to this concept, Batman DID kill the Joker, several times, early in their history. But realised a) that the underlying person was relatively innocent and killing them would just cause another innocent to be infected/possessed, and b) imprisoning them as a short term containment, was preferable to killing them and having someone else almost immediately be possessed.

I've not been a big follower of the comics, but I follow enough, and that always made a twisted kind of sense to me.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    I'm not sure exactly where I heard it, but I always liked the idea that the Joker wasn't an actual person. That it was either a sentient virus, a possessing insanity god or some kind of bodylocked spirit. It attaches itself to one person, and infects/possesses them, but it can't extricate itself, except on the death of it's host. It gave a logical reason why even someone like Batman wouldn't kill him. Cause the argument that even with his "code", Batman wouldn't kill someone responsible for so many deaths, after so many escapes, arguably would make him complicit.

Instead, according to this concept, Batman DID kill the Joker, several times, early in their history. But realised a) that the underlying person was relatively innocent and killing them would just cause another innocent to be infected/possessed, and b) imprisoning them as a short term containment, was preferable to killing them and having someone else almost immediately be possessed.

I've not been a big follower of the comics, but I follow enough, and that always made a twisted kind of sense to me.

I think it makes more sense to say that Batman, while an effective crimefighter, who is highly devoted to helping people and caring for the city simply will not kill people. He is himself a psycologically damaged person and a vigilante execution is a line he will not cross, and that Gotham, despite all its problems, still has a fully functional justice system with appeals and so forth which also believes that executions cannot be carried out on a whim.

The joker is the test of that. He wants Batman to become an executioner. He knows that if Batman DOES kill him, that Batmans resulting mental breakdown will lead to him becoming a far worse villain than the joker ever was. Batman is good, but he is also insane. If he kills the Joker, then he will become worse than the joker ever was.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »

I think it makes more sense to say that Batman, while an effective crimefighter, who is highly devoted to helping people and caring for the city simply will not kill people. He is himself a psycologically damaged person and a vigilante execution is a line he will not cross, and that Gotham, despite all its problems, still has a fully functional justice system with appeals and so forth which also believes that executions cannot be carried out on a whim.

The joker is the test of that. He wants Batman to become an executioner. He knows that if Batman DOES kill him, that Batmans resulting mental breakdown will lead to him becoming a far worse villain than the joker ever was. Batman is good, but he is also insane. If he kills the Joker, then he will become worse than the joker ever was.
    I get that that is the standard argument for it, and it's a reasonable one.

It just never sat well with me, given how often the Joker escapes, and how many people he kills, and that there's no redemption or rehabilitation possible. So I like the idea there's an explicit reason why Batman doesn't, beyond a moral code that gets hundreds/thousands/more? people killed.

If ever there was a case for extrajudicial capital punishment, it'd be the Joker.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    My interpretation of that is less that Batman is crazy, and more that once Batman starts killing; every situation he puts himself in is life and death, so the "why not this once?" erodes to the point where he is worse than the Joker.

Fencingsax wrote: »
    My interpretation of that is less that Batman is crazy, and more that once Batman starts killing; every situation he puts himself in is life and death, so the "why not this once?" erodes to the point where he is worse than the Joker.

Exactly, but, I do think that Batman's own mental instability is at play here. Any sane person could create a distinction between the Joker and most other criminals, and say "I will kill the joker, but not like, start slaughtering jaywalkers" but Batman (and the Joker) knows that he can't. So Batman keeps capturing him, and Joker keeps trying to get Batman to kill him.

The bigger question is, why doesn't say, random person who pushes the asylum cart #40562 after Batman captures him just kill the Joker. But, then it wouldn't be much of a story!

• SmurphSmurph Registered User regular

Exactly, but, I do think that Batman's own mental instability is at play here. Any sane person could create a distinction between the Joker and most other criminals, and say "I will kill the joker, but not like, start slaughtering jaywalkers" but Batman (and the Joker) knows that he can't. So Batman keeps capturing him, and Joker keeps trying to get Batman to kill him.

The bigger question is, why doesn't say, random person who pushes the asylum cart #40562 after Batman captures him just kill the Joker. But, then it wouldn't be much of a story!

Yeah especially considering how often we see IRL police just kill people during everyday life, the realism kinda falls apart. Joker is like a Bin Laden level guy, any officer who killed him while attempting to capture him would be celebrated as a hero.

I had a fan theory a while ago that Joker successfully got Joker Venom into Gotham's water supply at some point in the distant past, and the whole city is kinda crazy as a result. That's why there are so many zany costumed heroes and mostly villains. Most of them don't even have powers, they're just regular people putting on costumes and fighting each other.

Smurph wrote: »

Yeah especially considering how often we see IRL police just kill people during everyday life, the realism kinda falls apart. Joker is like a Bin Laden level guy, any officer who killed him while attempting to capture him would be celebrated as a hero.

I had a fan theory a while ago that Joker successfully got Joker Venom into Gotham's water supply at some point in the distant past, and the whole city is kinda crazy as a result. That's why there are so many zany costumed heroes and mostly villains. Most of them don't even have powers, they're just regular people putting on costumes and fighting each other.

My answer on this for the Joker is that the majority of the police are too afraid to do anything to him, knowing that if they try that the Jokers gang will take revenge on them.

But then, why doesn't like, Martian Manhunter just kill him. Or why doesn't Superman put him in the phantom zone? The secondary logic (Beyond why BATMAN doesn't do something) is just pretty much, 'You've got to live with the fact that it works like this'

Over analyzing fantastical universes is pretty much the surest way to ruin them.

That having been said, I do not understand in the context of the DCU how joker is still alive. You've already established that this batman doesn't give two shits about the sanctity of life, it's heavily implied that he murdered robin and he's not exactly hiding that well. How is he still walking around at this point and not tortured to death, a quadrapalegic or beaten so badly that he makes terry shivo look perfectly healthy?

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

Yep, post the new 52, Batman discovered that there are three different versions of Joker running around....for some reason....because DC must reset their universe every couple years or people will die.

It's like a comic book version of "It follows" only without the boning.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    edited July 2018
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Over analyzing fantastical universes is pretty much the surest way to ruin them.

That having been said, I do not understand in the context of the DCU how joker is still alive. You've already established that this batman doesn't give two shits about the sanctity of life, it's heavily implied that he murdered robin and he's not exactly hiding that well. How is he still walking around at this point and not tortured to death, a quadrapalegic or beaten so badly that he makes terry shivo look perfectly healthy?

That was B vs S Batman, post-B vs S Batman had that retconned away. The events did play out, but it's implied to be different. The first time this Batman appeared was in Suicide Squad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn9WTTVj7ag&frags=pl%2Cwn

You can tell by Batman not packing heat, and that his Batmobile isn't using other cars to squash Joker's car.

Harry Dresden on
    The roster for Birds of Prey has been revealed.

https://www.thewrap.com/birds-of-prey-black-canary-huntress-cassandra-cain-renee-montoya/
    Black Canary, Huntress, Cassandra Cain, and Renee Montoya will join Harley Quinn’s girl gang in the Margot Robbie film “Birds of Prey,” TheWrap has exclusively learned.

Robbie will produce “Birds of Prey” and reprise her “Suicide Squad” character, Harley Quinn. The film is centered around a revolving group of female heroes and villains, individuals with knowledge of thew project tell TheWrap.

In addition, TheWrap has learned that the villain in “Birds of Prey” will be a Batman comics villain who has never before appeared on the big screen.

Pls don't fuck up Huntress and Cassie, WB.

Batgirl_Birds_of_Prey_4_Shirahama_large.jpg?v=1478668584

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    A new to the big screen villain?

Who are the options?

Two of my guesses:
    Mad Hatter
    Professor Pyg

Who are the options?

Two of my guesses:
    Mad Hatter
    Professor Pyg
    Hugo Strange is the biggest name that comes to mind that hasn't had a movie yet.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

Who are the options?

Two of my guesses:
    Mad Hatter
    Professor Pyg
    Hugo Strange is the biggest name that comes to mind that hasn't had a movie yet.

Would he be appropriate for a BoP villain? He seems more Batman-obsessed.

Who are the options?

Two of my guesses:
    Mad Hatter
    Professor Pyg

Would he be appropriate for a BoP villain? He seems more Batman-obsessed.

So are WB.

If it's Cassandra in the roster then the villain will probably be Lady Shiva or David Cain.

If there's no Oracle on the roster WTF, that's stupid.

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Batgirl....

Clayface please

If it has to be a Batman villain that is.

I wish not everything had to be Batman villains.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    Vandal Savage would have been a cool villain to use for Birds of Prey.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    Really starting to worry DC/WB is slamming way too far in the opposite direction with Shazam.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I think that looks perfect.

This discussion has been closed.