As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gloomhaven] A small, quick party game

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    On page 18 of the rules, under the "Character Turn" heading, there's a line that suggest you can choose not to execute parts of your card (other than those parts that cause negative effects to you or your allies). So I'd say you can choose not to "Immobilize: Target one adjacent enemy" on your Net Shooter. Note also the comment on page 27 about Gaining Experience - in order to gain experience for playing a card, you have to use at least one of the card's abilities.

Theoretically, the Net Shooter example might eventually matter, if you place an upgrade of some sort on that dot next to the Move 2.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    If anyone is interested in this on tts, we just got to the third scenario and could use a third. Usually play around 11pm pst

• Options
    Not sure if this has been posted, Gloomhaven quick rule reference

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bze24YskmJNeT1VnNUJHdWpwWDQ/edit

• Options
    Item thoughts for spell weaver. I have goggles, invis cloak, and a stamina potion . Should I save money for future upgrades or is there an item in the shop I might want to consider?

I'm level 2.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    RickRude wrote: »

joshofalltrades this could go in the OP, it's very good IMO

Fry on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    If she's not taking damage, and she shouldn't be, then the Cloak of Many Pockets is pretty handy. I also like the speedy boots, which will allow her to more easily keep up with the party's movement, or the boots that allow her to modify her activation number, always very useful for rear-rank ranged fighters like her and Gadget.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    Item thoughts for spell weaver. I have goggles, invis cloak, and a stamina potion . Should I save money for future upgrades or is there an item in the shop I might want to consider?

I'm level 2.

The piercing bow. You will start running into enemies with considerable armor and you will hate it unless you have that weapon. After that probably just save up or get boots of some sort.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Fry wrote: »

joshofalltrades this could go in the OP, it's very good IMO

Yes, it’s a quick rule reference and it’s only 11 pages lol

I’ll do it when I’m not mobile

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    CesareB wrote: »

I'm level 2.

The piercing bow. You will start running into enemies with considerable armor and you will hate it unless you have that weapon. After that probably just save up or get boots of some sort.

Also excellent on Cragheart.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    Well, my Spellweaver finally retired at level 8. Was getting some great synergy with inverse triforce for the two missions they were together. Feel a little sorry to let her go.

Managed to unlock both Sun and Moon on the same night so probably going with one of those two next. Somehow our Mindthief still hasn't retired, they've been at 1/3 Lurker kills for their life goal since night one.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Bluecyan wrote: »
    they've been at 1/3 Lurker kills for their life goal since night one.

Could be worse.

Could be using 1st edition, where that quest demands 4 of each.

Like my party's Scoundrel...

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Bluecyan wrote: »
    Well, my Spellweaver finally retired at level 8. Was getting some great synergy with inverse triforce for the two missions they were together. Feel a little sorry to let her go.

Managed to unlock both Sun and Moon on the same night so probably going with one of those two next. Somehow our Mindthief still hasn't retired, they've been at 1/3 Lurker kills for their life goal since night one.

Lurkers are super-scarce and don't really turn up until past midgame unless you beeline the missions with them.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »

I'm level 2.

Craggy at least has a good number of "do X damage to enemies (and usually allies as well)" abilities that completely bypass armor. The best a low level spellweaver can manage is the occasional wound.

• Options
    SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    I

LOVE

Cragheart.

Their level 9 card combo'd with backup ammunition and volatile bomb gets ABSURD.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

I'm level 2.

I'm extremely interested in this, how fequently are you guys playing and any possibility to play a little earlier?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

I'm level 2.

I'm extremely interested in this, how fequently are you guys playing and any possibility to play a little earlier?

I'm not sure if the possibility of playing earlier. I could a little bit, and possibly find time, but my gf leaves for work about 10:15 so 11 is perfect for me. I could ask him but he's the one that initially mentioned 11-4 as his playtime.

We played on both Saturday and Monday and have kind of played it by ear. I'm not sure of our exact plans on frequency, I've been able to play more than expected. Tonight and tomorrow though for example I possibly have plans, but might end up messaging hum for a game depending on if the gf falls asleep early.

How much earlier were you thinking @megaman001

• Options
    Hit level 3, bought the bow, first time I used it, cursed! Lol!

Level 3 spell weaver talk

So I got rid of the -1's, I thought about doing the get rid of 4 0's, and think I should have. Picked the card that has an aoe with + attack and a stun if it consumes elements.

So I did the +2 and create ice.

But to use it I have to get rid of my summon or frost armor, and they're both paying dividends.

We haven't started the next scenario yet and just finished upkeep at the end...

I think I want to switch to the remove 0''s and grab the card, but not use it yet. It seems good but I can't reliably consume fire or frost.

Thoughts ?

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »

I'm level 2.

Craggy at least has a good number of "do X damage to enemies (and usually allies as well)" abilities that completely bypass armor. The best a low level spellweaver can manage is the occasional wound.

Agreed, but turning Dirt Tornado or basically anything with Backup Ammunition into "What Living Spirits?" is very convenient.

Minor spoiler, but it's good on Angry-Face too. Way more spoilers / discussion below.
    Not that he doesn't have some great answers built in, notably Expose. Still a strong pickup if, like me, you get to the class before the competitor items appear in the shop.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Hit level 3, bought the bow, first time I used it, cursed! Lol!

Level 3 spell weaver talk

So I got rid of the -1's, I thought about doing the get rid of 4 0's, and think I should have. Picked the card that has an aoe with + attack and a stun if it consumes elements.

So I did the +2 and create ice.

But to use it I have to get rid of my summon or frost armor, and they're both paying dividends.

We haven't started the next scenario yet and just finished upkeep at the end...

I think I want to switch to the remove 0''s and grab the card, but not use it yet. It seems good but I can't reliably consume fire or frost.

Thoughts ?

Are you playing the summon correctly?

They are AI that move independently, exactly like monsters that flip a +0/+0. You have zero control over them unless there is a tie or another effect says so.

If so, then it's your call. If not, maybe re-evaluate that card.

• Options
    The spellweaver summon is one of the best summons in the game because it attacks from range and therefore doesn't get in the same bad situations that melee summons do. It's still situational but it can really do some work when the time is right.

I think holding off on actually putting the level 3 card you're referring to in the deck is not a bad idea; once you get some more reliable ways to generate the required elements it is really, really good.

• Options
    Frost Armor seems underwhelming to me, spending a bottom action and a card loss to prevent the next two hits does not feel like a significant upgrade over losing a card from hand on the rare occasion you take a big hit. Most of the time you should be moving so as to not be taking hits at all. The guide I like from reddit has Frost Armor in the deck at level 1 and replaced at level 2.

That guide also suggests taking Cold Fire at level 3 and then not putting it in the deck until level 5, which is plausible I suppose.

• Options
    Yeah, Frost Armor isn't super great. It's definitely on the chopping block as soon as you have something better.

• Options
    The thing about frost armour is its top action is very reliable .

• Options
    Wolf of DresdenWolf of Dresden Registered User regular
    We finished the campaign last weekend. Took us about 7 months and we, uh, beat it without seeing about half the characters in the box and a fair number of the scenarios. Some of this was having personal quests that took a lot of plays to accomplish and some of it was our natural tendency to prioritize story missions. We'll probably pick the game back up later this fall when the new scenarios are out.

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Yay! We finished the first scenario! 3rd times the charm.

Had a question on Leather Armor item though. If I activate it and waltz in a room with 4 archers, do all 4 gain disadvantage when attacking me? Or Just the first one attacking me? OR can I choose which one of the 4 archers will gain disadvantage when attacking me?

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Yay! We finished the first scenario! 3rd times the charm.

Had a question on Leather Armor item though. If I activate it and waltz in a room with 4 archers, do all 4 gain disadvantage when attacking me? Or Just the first one attacking me? OR can I choose which one of the 4 archers will gain disadvantage when attacking me?

You can coose which one (and only one) but you have to activate the armor before you flip the modifier card.

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    So about my personal quest 515:
    It says Kill 20 Bandits and Cultists. Is that 20 each? Total together? (Bandits and Cultists) Or Total Separate? (20 Bandits or 20 Cultists)

I killed 19 Bandits and more than 1 Cultist.
    Seems wild to me if total since my Scoundrel is only Lv.2. What an early retirement. (Then again I did play 9 scenarios with her and apparently failed scenarios still count towards your PQ progress)

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    Riokenn wrote: »
    So about my personal quest 515:
    It says Kill 20 Bandits and Cultists. Is that 20 each? Total together? (Bandits and Cultists) Or Total Separate? (20 Bandits or 20 Cultists)

I killed 19 Bandits and more than 1 Cultist.
    Seems wild to me if total since my Scoundrel is only Lv.2. What an early retirement. (Then again I did play 9 scenarios with her and apparently failed scenarios still count towards your PQ progress)

According to the FAQ, welcome to retirement.

Speaking of retirement, we finally encountered some Lurkers! Out of 7 possible in the scneario, our Scoundrel picked off... 3. Leaving that personal quest 1 shy on each required monster. So we could either let that player twist in the wind until we come across more of them, replay the scenario in "casual mode" since Lurkers are insanely rare (not helping the other two slightly more common targets), or say "screw this" and use the R2 version of the quest that only demands 3 each and is thus completed.

We went with the latter and have a shiny new Chtulhu Face for next week. Our Scoundrel will be missed, but she was level 7 and a little long in the tooth.

Re: Cthulhu Face
    Oh man this thing looks insane. And super dangerous. It's also kind of fragile, which actually applies to our entire party except Two-Mini's pet — now our de facto tank.

• Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    New party incoming. Unlocked a couple of classes last play session. Now they are painted and ready to go. Really excited to see how this pair does. Hoping I don't like Cthulhu Face more than Sun, since we should be unlocking that early next session.

Sun:
    Sunkeeper:
    kgDGcHj.jpg?2
    Two-Mini
    The Beast Tyrant and his Vermling companion:
    stHgPCY.jpg?1
    cAWtjsw.png?2

• Options
    So I'm curious about a scenario we had trouble with last night. I think it was 11/12 it's in of town in gloomhaven and you have a choice. Trying to be as vague as possible while also making it obvious what I'm talking about
    It has to do with
    Persons name
    Jaquera

We thought we were doing pretty good

We chose to stand up against her instead of letting the army of undead rise up and take over the town.

Our thought behind this? If everyone's dead who's going to pay us as mercanaries? So we rose to the cities defense!

We realized in the first room that this was going to be an endurance run, and the guards would do a lot if dirty work. So we tried to rush to the boss room before we ran out of cards.

Unfortunately when we opened the door to the boss, we got separated by a pack of corpses and our mind thief didn't have any jump movements.

Basically she kept summoning, and nobody had anyway to do any damage to her. I had to take a hit and lose a card I didn't expect as spell weaver and got exhausted first, but it just seemed like we were screwed from the get go.

It didn't help our guards and archers decided to not move for awhile

Any thoughts on strategy for this scenario?

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Had our second scenario end immediately when, the first time I'd been hit the entire run, I got x2'd and one-shot. I happened to be just about to rest, so I couldn't even drop cards without exhausting.

Very, very annoying. I seriously regret my choice of class, I hadn't realized how onerous the 8 card hand would be, and how random it would be to rely on the recovery skill to compensate.

Still, got through it easily the second time. Unfortunately, didn't have an opportunity to get my battle goal completed on the successful run.

• Options
    AetherAether Registered User regular
    Kasyn wrote: »
    Had our second scenario end immediately when, the first time I'd been hit the entire run, I got x2'd and one-shot. I happened to be just about to rest, so I couldn't even drop cards without exhausting.

Very, very annoying. I seriously regret my choice of class, I hadn't realized how onerous the 8 card hand would be, and how random it would be to rely on the recovery skill to compensate.

Still, got through it easily the second time. Unfortunately, didn't have an opportunity to get my battle goal completed on the successful run.

You can drop one from your hand, OR two from discard. So, if you were about to rest you can still prevent the damage, but a larger cost.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Aether wrote: »

You can drop one from your hand, OR two from discard. So, if you were about to rest you can still prevent the damage, but a larger cost.

Yeah but if you were about to rest you're also going to lose a card anyway. Losing 3 cards of an 8-card hand might as well be a KO for anyone but the Spellweaver (and any locked class with a similar ability).

Vyolynce on
  • Options

What do you mean by this? The spellweaver's lost card recovery is not random.

(Maybe you missed the fact that when you take a short rest, you can take one damage to "reroll" the card that is randomly lost?)

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    And if you long rest, the card you get rid of isn't random at all. We just realized that one of our players had been playing this way for quite some time.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular

(Maybe you missed the fact that when you take a short rest, you can take one damage to "reroll" the card that is randomly lost?)

What? You can definitely draw it way earlier than you'd prefer, and be forced to wait for a whole new cycle if you want to get a large recovery out of it or to recover specific cards.

As for the exhaustion, I forget what the exact situation was, but I had like two or three cards left, all in discard, one of which was Ether that I was counting on for a big recovery. Avoiding the damage would have dropped two from my discard and I wouldn't have had two cards the next turn, so unless I got the exhaustion rules wrong, I needed two at the start of a turn, even if the 1 I had remaining was my recovery card.

• Options
    AetherAether Registered User regular

What? You can definitely draw it way earlier than you'd prefer, and be forced to wait for a whole new cycle if you want to get a large recovery out of it or to recover specific cards.

As for the exhaustion, I forget what the exact situation was, but I had like two or three cards left, all in discard, one of which was Ether that I was counting on for a big recovery. Avoiding the damage would have dropped two from my discard and I wouldn't have had two cards the next turn, so unless I got the exhaustion rules wrong, I needed two at the start of a turn, even if the 1 I had remaining was my recovery card.

What do you mean by draw? Until played, all cards are available, and when you rest all (but one) of your non lost cards comes back?

• Options
    So I'm curious about a scenario we had trouble with last night. I think it was 11/12 it's in of town in gloomhaven and you have a choice. Trying to be as vague as possible while also making it obvious what I'm talking about
    It has to do with
    Persons name
    Jaquera

We thought we were doing pretty good

We chose to stand up against her instead of letting the army of undead rise up and take over the town.

Our thought behind this? If everyone's dead who's going to pay us as mercanaries? So we rose to the cities defense!

We realized in the first room that this was going to be an endurance run, and the guards would do a lot if dirty work. So we tried to rush to the boss room before we ran out of cards.

Unfortunately when we opened the door to the boss, we got separated by a pack of corpses and our mind thief didn't have any jump movements.

Basically she kept summoning, and nobody had anyway to do any damage to her. I had to take a hit and lose a card I didn't expect as spell weaver and got exhausted first, but it just seemed like we were screwed from the get go.

It didn't help our guards and archers decided to not move for awhile

Any thoughts on strategy for this scenario?

Evidently losing this scenario killed my group. There goes 20 hours + of playing and more of scheduling, thinking, etc...

In this scenario we were as a team rushing ahead, and I did something to complete my personal battle goal. Was told basically they didn't like playing with me because of it. I even started the group.

Sorry, I'm a little salty, just had to vent.

• Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular

What do you mean by draw? Until played, all cards are available, and when you rest all (but one) of your non lost cards comes back?

@Kasyn if you've been playing spellweaver randomly drawing cards I'd love to see some game reports. That sounds so damn challenging.

• Options
    edited July 2018

lmao okay it is definitely possible that we have been drawing two cards each turn and choosing our actions that way, I completely forget where this assumption came from but we've played a few scenarios that way already, this last one was the only one we've ever run into difficulties and that was because of the phenomenally unlucky confluence of events for me

we just thought the game was really difficult

@Kasyn if you've been playing spellweaver randomly drawing cards I'd love to see some game reports. That sounds so damn challenging.

Uhhh it has been generally fine, actually, the only few cards that ever felt like I either wanted or didn't want at a certain time were the recovery and loot ones.

This...this makes a lot more sense

Kasyn on