As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Manticores and Manicures: a Well Groomed Table Top Thread.

MeldingMelding Registered User regular
This is a manticore

I3I9FZ2l.jpg

This is a manicure

An5GR8Ql.jpg

What do they have in common?

I had them in my imgur folder, and both start with M.

Let's talk about Table Top Gaames!

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I think table top role playing games are neat.

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Someone should open a maniticore manicure store that also features pretty adornation for the stinger. There ain't a manticore in all the land who'll mess up their claws and stinger by attacking townsfolks. That was a lot of money!

1 2 3 boom manticore problem solved forever.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote:
    I mean on some level I am okay with it, these are literally different animals. It isn't like they are all humans with slight aesthetic differences. They are legit different species. I can accept in that case one might may be more intelligent or physically capable by nature. Dogs and cats are intrinsically different from one another they have different physical and mental capabilities it's not offensive to note those differences or accept that they exist. It rides a real fine line because we have trouble seeing any sentient life that isn't human as anything but human with a different outer shell, but like orcs and dwarves and elves and humans are all literally differed animals.

I have more of a problem when specific personality traits are carried over to a racial definition because that type of stuff is super nurture dependent. Or when a race is depicted as having a uniform cultural practice.

Like dwarves from west Virginia, and dwarves from new England should be as different from one another as I am from someone that works in the depths of West Virginia coal country. Like if the New England dwarf grew up digging clams on a sandbar there's no reason they should be able to identify masonry work.

They're only different species if you want them to be, also. No reason the humanoids can't all be highly variant morphologies of the same species in your setting, which things like half-elves and half-orcs strongly support the idea of.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    what about all the womanticores out there

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Doobh wrote: »

got you covered

XXf9xdEl.jpg

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    But... what if a (male) manticore wants to be pretty? Can they not wear a bow?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Third session of ToA went well. Party finished their first big dungeon, and diffused the final encounter in a hilarious way:
    Their fights had been pretty bland so far, mostly just goblins or mundane creatures, so I souped up the head Pterafolk to be crackling with necromantic power as part of a ritual and described it as shadowy energy flickering around his body and gave him some extra skills

The cleric ran directly under him while he was flying and charging up a big attack and did a Channel Divinity that "dispels all magical darkness" in the spell text so I got hoisted by my own petard and she sent the dinoman crashing to earth, drained of power

CYpGAPn.png
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    To summarize my thoughts from the last thread

Two-player RPGs are the fucking best and more people should try them.

So Kobolds, I am personally a fan of dragon-y kobolds. And have as such decided to go with that, and base them on the assumed fantasy dragon types of fire, ice, lightning, and acid. will there be more? who knows. Here is what i am thinking

Kobolds:
    Though often seen as weak and cowardly by the people of the old world, Kobolds see themselves as noble and pragmatic. Their origin myth tells of a climatic battle between the dragon god and the demons of the hells, and while the dragon god was victorious it received a grievous blow, and from its blood the Kobold were born. While many would point out the striking simularities to the elven creation myth, it can't be disproved, and no one really desires to argue with them.
    Species Ability
    Brawn 1 Agility 2 intellect 2 Cunning 3 Will power 2 presense 2
    Wound Threshold 7 + Brawn
    Strain Threshold 9 + Will Power
    Starting Experience 90
    Small
    Fleet of Feets: Kobolds can perform a second maneuver to move without suffering strain. They still cannot exceed the limitation of two maneuvers in a turn

Storm Kobolds
    Perhaps the most common along the east coast, Storm Kobolds tend to desire to be in the service of a great storm wyrm, though, maybe are just as happy to witness large storms, following weather patterns to always be near where the next storm will happen. Storm Kobolds tend to be shades of blue with a sandy under belly, matching that of a storm wyrm, though there is no mistaking them for such, they can be just as dangerous of a foe if underestimated.
    Starting Skills: Storm Kobolds start with one rank in Survival. You still cannot train survival above 2 during character creation

Forst Kobolds
    While still more common than other types, these kobold aren't commonly seen. In part this is because of their scales being shades of green while some even becoming black, they are very skilled ambush hunters. When not in service to a dragon they will attempt to ply their skills as scouts and hunters, though this sometimes can be a trap, luring would be adventurers to be a dragon's easy lunch.
    Starting Skills: Forest Kobolds start with one rank in stealth. Still can't be above two, yadda

Ice Kobolds
    For more rare are the white kobolds on the high peaks and tundra. most don't even bother to deal with armed humanoids as any hard fight isn't a fight worth having when you live in areas with scarce food. Even when they aren't serving a dragon they tend to ignore the taller races, they're often too much trouble.
    Starting Skill: Resilience

Fire Kobolds
    Like the fire dragons they seek to serve, fire Kobolds tend to be the largest and cruelest, luckily however, they tend towards the west coast near the mountains and Blasted Desert. fire kobolds tend to be the most militant and most organized in any situation, though That has not yet shown itself to be good or bad.
    Starting Skill: Discipline

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Ok. So Doobh has talked me into running 1-on-1 Mage: the Ascension. By the devious tactic of mentioning she was interested, then waiting for me to fall over myself volunteering. The sly minx.

We're still discussing character details, but I'm deep into brainstorming the setting now. It will probably be based on somewhere in the US that I've lived, because I think WoD games work a lot better if they're grounded in a real place. Right now I've got a whiteboard in my bedroom with the following locations written in each corner:

South Florida
    Southern Colorado and Western Kansas
    Big Island of Hawaii
    Goddamn Utah

Each is followed by a few quick four or five word pitches for stories that would fit well there. Colorado is taking a likely lead, but I'm taking suggestions for neat local Mage-appropriate shit any of you might be aware of that I might not have thought of. Or that I probably thought of but you might have an interesting twist on.

Obviously @Doobh you have final say if any of these options interest you more than the others, or if none of them sound right for your character.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
    also doobh while you're here i could use some kobold opinions, you are one of the few people who i trust with kobold opinions.

Melding wrote: »
    also doobh while you're here i could use some kobold opinions, you are one of the few people who i trust with kobold opinions.

In the meantime, MY Kobold Opinion is that Kobolds lack the upper-body strength to hoist a foe over their head and hurl them as a projectile weapon at a second foe, therefore why the fuck would I ever play one.

You're welcome.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan

In the meantime, MY Kobold Opinion is that Kobolds lack the upper-body strength to hoist a foe over their head and hurl them as a projectile weapon at a second foe, therefore why the fuck would I ever play one.

You're welcome.

this is true, i went for a more meek but very mobile kobold. i was debating agility vs cunning, because both make sense, but i went with cunning with the idea that they're trap setters and ambush combatants. cunning is also like the active part of wisdom, being what you use for perception and the like. there is also a trait to use it for ranged attacks which is neat.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

got you covered
    It needed a manicure
    m2i4f0rkyrno.jpg

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I like that the kobolds you have aren't based off an antagonistic relationship with all neighboring species

like, the ice 'bolds don't even want to bother with the tall folk at all

D&D's still reluctant to move away from "this species is eeeeeeeeeeviiiiiiiiiiil." unfortunately

You're welcome.

here's your character concept: a dragonborn barbarian who was raised among kobolds

Ok. So Doobh has talked me into running 1-on-1 Mage: the Ascension. By the devious tactic of mentioning she was interested, then waiting for me to fall over myself volunteering. The sly minx.

We're still discussing character details, but I'm deep into brainstorming the setting now. It will probably be based on somewhere in the US that I've lived, because I think WoD games work a lot better if they're grounded in a real place. Right now I've got a whiteboard in my bedroom with the following locations written in each corner:

South Florida
    Southern Colorado and Western Kansas
    Big Island of Hawaii
    Goddamn Utah

Each is followed by a few quick four or five word pitches for stories that would fit well there. Colorado is taking a likely lead, but I'm taking suggestions for neat local Mage-appropriate shit any of you might be aware of that I might not have thought of. Or that I probably thought of but you might have an interesting twist on.

Obviously @Doobh you have final say if any of these options interest you more than the others, or if none of them sound right for your character.

those are all places I haven't been to/stopped at, which I think is great for getting me into the headspace of a different character

Miss me? Find me on:

• astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Pre-ordered the 13th Age Book of Ages and Loot Harder and got both pre-layout PDFs. Thumbed through Book of Ages tonight. I can see why they would do it, but they should probably kick some money over to the Microscope folks for their Engine of Ages method of creating history. It borrows quite a lot from that system, including legacies and the yes/no initial pass set-up.

I like a lot of the hooks they weave in here. It also has featured races, spells, talents, class abilities, monsters, and magic items from their sample ages. Races include Arcanites (post-human servants of the Wizard King), Space Corp Explorer (basically human, but restricted on ability bump and swap quick to fight for a gadget belt that lets you use utility spells), Unholy Ones (touched by dark gods), Beastblooded (catch all lycanthrope), Alleykin (cat people), Lizardman, and Spiritborn (probably the one that seems most OP. Can ghost for a round, deal a small amount of damage to an enemy without a roll, and then improvise a power based on what type of spirit they are aligned with).

I do love that their race stuff includes archetypical descriptions in the fluff, but all you get from race is one of two stat bumps and one or maybe two abilities. Class dictates way more of what your character is all about. The only race in the game that I feel is a complete whiff is the half-elf, because their racial ability is literally only useful for a handful of classes. I've house ruled that a half elf can take their choice of that ability OR any of the other elf/human abilities. For my Dynasty Warriors game, I'm just letting players pick any racial trait as their bonus, since the default will be human.

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
    Well, it helps that the write up is for the PC race kobolds. enemy kobolds would be a little different and likely in direct service of a dragon, and therefore working to further their goals.

And dragons are right assholes, so that tends to reflect poorly on all kobolds. On their own they're just kind of there, doing their own things.

of course now i'm picturing like a half dragon gangster with a small pack of kobolds doing mafia shit. dwarven shop keep closing up shop for the night when these finely dressed storm kobolds walk in. "Oh crap, it's the Grixkisly Brothers"

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    So my DM is running ToA for my group and another group, and he wanted the other group to find one of our empty encampments, and wanted to know what the party might find left behind from us. Well I've established earlier that my rogue is writing a book on the correct usage of the ten foot pole, now that he never sleeps, so I wrote up a whole page under the heading of "Chapter 7: On the Correct and Proper usage of the Ten Foot Pole to Ascertain the Depth of a Pit, Body of Water, or other Empty Volume" for them to find.

You're welcome.

this is true, i went for a more meek but very mobile kobold. i was debating agility vs cunning, because both make sense, but i went with cunning with the idea that they're trap setters and ambush combatants. cunning is also like the active part of wisdom, being what you use for perception and the like. there is also a trait to use it for ranged attacks which is neat.

Your Kobolds look boss actually, that was just a joke on my primary recurring character archetype being reskins of Donkey Kong.

edited July 2018

You're welcome.

Your Kobolds look boss actually, that was just a joke on my primary recurring character archetype being reskins of Donkey Kong.

Donkey Kong is real good though. I am trying to remember the artist that drew some kobolds i really liked the look of cause they were cute as heck, and kind of what i think of when i think of dragon kobolds.

found it

their twitter is probably nsfw, so i don't suggest clicking on any furhter links to their twitter.

Melding on
    5e did mention that a lot of cities with sewer systems often have a kodold workforce that dug it out, and coexist with the city peacefully

god, I could really go for another Volo's now that I'm thinking of it

Miss me? Find me on:

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I just rolled up a tortle wizard and damn do I want to play him!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

got you covered
    It needed a manicure
    m2i4f0rkyrno.jpg

Would this not be a manticure?

Just leaving puns on the table, damn.

@Doobh Volo's is so friggin' good and I'd love for them to release another one. Mordenkainen's is good but it doesn't quite scratch the same itch

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Those nails are dope!

VayBJ4e.png
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »

got you covered
    It needed a manicure
    m2i4f0rkyrno.jpg

Would this not be a manticure?

Just leaving puns on the table, damn.

@Doobh Volo's is so friggin' good and I'd love for them to release another one. Mordenkainen's is good but it doesn't quite scratch the same itch

no, actually, that's just a regular manticore with a manicure

if you go to the salon and you ask for a manticure you get this:

vOY9sk2.png

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Glad to see that Manticure Specialist doing good work, in the proper safety gear.
    Hate to see infections spread, and all that.

VayBJ4e.png
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Manticurist School is a bitch and a half I'll tell you what

edit - now there's your Beastmaster backstory

MrMonroe on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Also this thread is relevant to me because I both worked on my DnD campaign and got a manicure yesterday.

the annual "draw on a manticore" thread commences

Miss me? Find me on:

turns out, i had fewer ideas for dwarves than i thought. i got a few idea for some dwarf cities, but those don't really translate much into mechanics, outside of you got your bad Scottish accent dwarfs, and all the other ones that don't.

tB5a24E.gif

the glittering "princess" trampstamp wouldn't happen, the app was fighting against me

Miss me? Find me on:

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    This is the greatest thing I've ever seen in my life

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular

You're welcome.

Donkey Kong is real good though. I am trying to remember the artist that drew some kobolds i really liked the look of cause they were cute as heck, and kind of what i think of when i think of dragon kobolds.

found it

their twitter is probably nsfw, so i don't suggest clicking on any furhter links to their twitter.

Did I ever post the commission @Gatsby did of my kobold ninja?
    CCUeUt_UsAETBsM.jpg:small

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Have my Infinity friends all seen the new Operation Coldfront stuff?

Those ALEPH minis... *droooooollll*

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

I need to buy a new set of that terrain what came with Red Veil because it all got beat up during the move.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I GM'd for the first time this weekend!

It was just the Edge of Empire beginner game but it was pretty fun and everyone got into the dice system. The players rp'd pretty well and had some antics, where they convinced the big bad bounty hunter to leave his ship, (avoiding the final combat) but then left the cargo ramp open and didn’t take off.

So he came back, they shut the ramp on him, and then attacked them an were destroying him quite well, but on his final turn before he died he rolled a destiny die and opened the bay doors and let in his security droids to cause more trouble.

The only thing I found confusing is that there are multiple points in the beginner game rules that directly contradict the big edge of empire rule book.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited July 2018

yeah those ALEPH minis are great

just wish they gave the dudes nice asses like they do some of the lady sculpts.....

Infinity needs more nice dude asses in general, tbh, so far I think the best are the Oniwaban

Anzekay on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The Kriza Borac has buns of steel...

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I like the asiwara regiment butt

Also the Fiday with the rifle light shotgun

Tallahasseeriel on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Yep. I am excited for that box even though I haven't played Infinity since my main LGS closed.

This discussion has been closed.