As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Skaven eat cheese (when they are given it).

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Looking forward to a Tzeentch army myself since they get fate points they can use to summon spells. No matter who casts the spells.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I may have lined up a Soul Wars demo for Friday.

When I got back into tabletop gaming a few years back I said I'd sworn off army sized games for good, but dem ghosts.

#bottomlipbite#

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Finally doing a point comparison between my tzeentch army before the new GHB and the 2017 my army cost at minimum 100 points more than it use to. *sigh*

But at the same time my daemons can be dropped for summons instead. And adding cogs to my army is great.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Tzeentch stuff was definitely too strong before but 380 points for a greater deamon is sad. I kinda regret buying one now :/

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Tzeentch stuff was definitely too strong before but 380 points for a greater deamon is sad. I kinda regret buying one now :/

I really want one because it looks so good. But there is 0 reason to bring it instead of just bringing Fateweaver as they cost the same now.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Oh nice! I wonder if my local store is open today...

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    Oh nice! I wonder if my local store is open today...

I think they're all closed today but the promotion is all week. If you ask nicely they'll probably just give you one anyway.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Dropped some money.

Picked up the new Nighthaunt and Stormcast books, Lady Olynder the Mortarch of Grief, a unit of Grimgast Reapers, and the book with the extra Jailer Ghost and his 2 menials.

AMA

• Options
    Right, I'm doing it, I'm making the jump.

Soul Wars big box, Nighthaunt Battletome, what else do I need?

General's Handbook is vital for points right?

And do I need Malign Sorcery for the endless spell rules or will the Nighthaunt specific spell models and the Battletome cover me?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    And do I need Malign Sorcery for the endless spell rules or will the Nighthaunt specific spell models and the Battletome cover me?

Only if you want those specific spells. Nothing required. The army-specific spells should come with all their rules.

Echo on
  • Options
    Ah well I think I'm getting it anyway as the local shop is bundling Soul Wars, Malign Sorcery and GHB for £120 which is too good to resist.

Looks like most of the woobly giant spells will make good generic scatter scenery bits anyway.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    The Malign Sorcery has a bunch of scenarios as well.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Right, I'm doing it, I'm making the jump.

Soul Wars big box, Nighthaunt Battletome, what else do I need?

General's Handbook is vital for points right?

The points for Nighthaunt should be in the back of the Nighthaunt battletome, but the General's Handbook does include rules for general matched play stuff, like army composition and the like, along with a selection of matched play scenarios.
    Malign Sorcery also has rules for realm specific spells and artefacts, though I'm not totally sure if those are going to wind up being generally used in match play/tournaments etc. cos some of them are a little screwy.

• Options
    Not got me books yet but clicking around online.

Grimghast Reapers, have a special rule for the unit being 5+ models, the scroll builder on the community site implies they come in batches of 10 in matched play, and yet you get 4 in the Soul Wars box?

Am I missing something or is that just awkward?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    It is very awkward, yeah, some of the stormcast side of soul wars are also in weird number, but you can kinda put them into proper strength units with the separate easy-build kits (sort of).

Grimghasts are just odd, I assumed they were intended to be an elite style unit in 5-model kits, but they come in 10s, very strange. You could maybe convert a Cairn Wraith a little bit to at least get a round 5, but that's still not very helpful.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    They did the same thing with the 1st edition starter as well. Most of the units worked out correctly but the Retributors were 3 but a unit was 5. Though the initial warscrolls were much like they are in the Soul Wars box in that they say a unit can contain 'any' number of models.

I wonder if moving forward they're going to stick to 'any' on the warscroll for open/narrative play and leave the unit sizes to be managed in the GHB.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    It's possible that they designed the soul wars models and sprues well before any actual rules were written up too (I'm not that familiar with GWs design process but I imagine the physical design is going to take much longer than the rules writing).

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Most communities talking about the nighthaunt misnumbered models suggest turning the 4 reapers that aren't ever going to line up realistically with purchases, into chainghasts, which come in groups of 2, and seem almost mandatory as ranged and support roles. And the kit those come in, come with a hero that you already have from the soul wars.

I dont know what I want to do with my extra stalker, it could be a pretty neat customized cairn wraith.

I liked what happened with original stormcast better, because if you picked up the SC you at least filled out the gaps from the base set, with a really good on foot hero that is ridiculously priced otherwise. I'm not gonna hold my breath for a new nighthaunt SC, we might get one in another year, right?

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The guy giving me the Soul Wars demo (by his own admission, not an AoS regular player, just a guy who had tried the demo set before) told me that all chargers attack before you do the alternating units bit. That’s quite different in the real rules!

That’s going to take some thinking about.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    The guy giving me the Soul Wars demo (by his own admission, not an AoS regular player, just a guy who had tried the demo set before) told me that all chargers attack before you do the alternating units bit. That’s quite different in the real rules!

That’s going to take some thinking about.

That’s how it works in 40k. It absolutely isn’t how it works in Sigmar and activating correctly is a big part of the games tactics.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    The first rule of warhammer is check the rules.
    Someone will do an illegal action or misinterpret a rule and their buddy will assume it’s right, then tell other people and so on and propagate bad rules.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    Playing vermintide and there’s a rat ogre with a baby Skaven on its back.

Its way to close to the man end of the Rat-Man scale.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Playing vermintide and there’s a rat ogre with a baby Skaven on its back.

Its way to close to the man end of the Rat-Man scale.

The Rat Orge or the skaven crawling around on it?

• Options
    Man, this chunky Core Book that came in the Soul Wars box is pretty heavily dense with lore. A massive history of the overall ‘plot’ to date, but also maps and detailed histories of each realm. More like I’d expect from an RPG setting than a wargame. Like I know the old world had a long a glorious history but that had been slowly built up over decades whereas this is all new.

Great stuff.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    How strict do people tend to be with musicians etc? Like with the Glaivewraith stalkers any models in the unit can be musicians, which is no penalty and adds a rule to the entire unit, so are people sensible and just assume that unit always has the musician regardless of modelling?

I know attacks the remove specific models in a unit are rare, but they exist.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I know the Idoneth thralls were FAQd so that only one model in 10 could be the standard bearer (cos the standard also gives that model an extra attack).
    I tend to go by that route and have models with standards/musicians as supplied in the box, it does occasionally make a difference where your command models are, via the rare model sniping abilities or when it comes to removing casualties without accidentally killing half your squad via lack of coherency.

• Options
    Man, the more I try and find away to get these Grimghast Reapers up to full unit size the more I'm getting annoyed with Soul Wars and the associated smaller box bundles.

I don't want the answer to be writing off the 4 I got in the box as useless and just buying the box of 10, but it's rapidly heading that way.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I really don’t understand why AoS prices are done in 5-10 model chunks instead of per model. There aren’t ranks anymore, and so many boxes have such weird numbers. Is there some way you could game the system if units were purchased model by model I’m not getting?

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Badablack wrote: »
    I really don’t understand why AoS prices are done in 5-10 model chunks instead of per model. There aren’t ranks anymore, and so many boxes have such weird numbers. Is there some way you could game the system if units were purchased model by model I’m not getting?

I think it's just to prevent people from having to do fiddly min-maxing and point optimization via finding things like "oh this squad is optimal at 8 models" or whatever.

I think they wanted to keep army building very simplified in AoS. Thus why all wargear is free as well.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    yeah, considering how much of current 40k is all about organising your dudes into different optimal formations/battalions/etc which can win/lose you the game before you've even started, i do like AoS's more straightforward list building.
    Weird-ass hold over box numbers from previous editions (seraphon! 8 knights in a box! because you used to run ranks of 4 back in...5th edition?) or what i can only assume was some kind of mistake/last minute change in how the new SC/NH are sold. That stuff bugs me too.

• Options
    That said i'm fairly miffed about them changing min sized Marauder units sizes from 10 to 20.
    I only have 12!

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Picked up Soul Wars, it's the first time I've ever actually seen or built a stormcast eternal up close. Holy hell I didn't realise how massive these guys are, they may as well be GI-Joes compared to the idoneth I was making earlier.

• Options
    Bought all the starters for the AOS tcg. Will give some impressions once I’ve played it but it looks, well, weird, in a real good way.

• Options
    Oh, that's out? Color me interested.

• Options
    I’ll be giving it a play with the wife later, but after giving the rules a quick look over it seems real intresting. Basically the main mechanic is that cards have different effects in each corner and rotate each turn triggering.

So for example an Orruk dude might attack on his first corner, then the next corner triggers its ability to kill a guy, and the next turn it does damage again. If there’s nothing in a corner the card is discarded.

This means your building up a tableau of effects and having to replace components. This also means there’s no mana system but powerful cards tend to just do nothing for 2-3 turns, making time (and space your limited in slots in your tableau and what heroes you have) your resource.

At the same time you have heroes with thier own abilities, you also attempting to complete thier quests. Each “champion” (get it) has a quest in each corner, like play a unit, deal a damage point and so on. When they rotate 360 you can activate the blessing underneath, an extremely powerful card.

It’s worth pointing out in your turn you can play up to two cards/activate heroes abilities, and draw a card for each action you don’t use, meaning you can do nothing to draw cards or sacrifice draw for actions. When you play a card it’s actually played through a champion in front of them. A champion for example might be a warrior, so can only play unit cards, or a wizard, so can only play spells. (Some heroes like archaon are both).

• Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    How well do the Sigmarites that come with Soul Wars combine with the ones that were in the original AoS starter set? I got the original set when it came out, but was never really able to get anyone interested. Now people I play with are interested in 2.0, and I am wondering if I split Soul Wars with one of them, will I be able to combine the two sets of a decent force? Or will there be a lot of redundancy or things I wouldn't want to use?

• Options
    If your just looking to play for fun then it’s fine.

If your looking to be super competitive liberators and the angels with hammers aren’t great.

Some of the effects in the soul wars stuff only targets that specific warrior chamber, but it would actually be a decent starting foot for casual games, gets you a little of everything combat/magic/shooting wise.

• Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    Great, thanks! I am very firmly on the casual / narrative end of the spectrum, so that sounds good.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    In that case Soul Wars + the old starter kit should definitely give you a decent little mix of units to play around. In tip-top high level matched play there's definitely a bit of a gulf between 'good' and 'bad' stormcast units, but at a casual level most of them are at fine at the very least, and there's such a big variety of unit types in the book that you can fine tune things more or less however you like (shoot-y, smash-y, magic-y, etc.)

Halos Nach Tariff on
This discussion has been closed.