As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's a [Doom/Quake]! id Software's Classic Legacy of Eternal Carnage

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I know I'm overthinking this, but...

The revenants are like giant skeletons. What are their skeletons actually from? It sure doesn't seem like they come from humans.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2018

The revenants are like giant skeletons. What are their skeletons actually from? It sure doesn't seem like they come from humans.

In the original Doom II manual it says
    Apparently when a demon dies, they pick him up, dust him off, wire him
    some combat gear, and send him back into battle. No rest for the wicked, eh? You
    wish your missiles did what his can do.

In the new Doom there's a kiosk advertising that the UAC is taking volunteers for the "Revenant Program"

Undead Scottsman on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Yeah, in New Doom, I think they're just humans that have been modified

I imagine Hell Energy does some weird shit to your body

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL

some combat gear, and send him back into battle. No rest for the wicked, eh? You

In the new Doom there's a kiosk advertising that the UAC is taking volunteers for the "Revenant Program"

Gods you’re right, I knew this. I must’ve read that little booklet dozens of times.

For some reason last night my brain was cooking up an ancient race of giants (nephilim, maybe?) on Mars that got got and then were renovated to be all about shoulder rockets and ugly punching.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018

Gods you’re right, I knew this. I must’ve read that little booklet dozens of times.

For some reason last night my brain was cooking up an ancient race of giants (nephilim, maybe?) on Mars that got got and then were renovated to be all about shoulder rockets and ugly punching.

The in-game codex for Doom 2016 says something along the lines of
    the argent energy causes the human tissue to ossify and grow, replacing most of the organs and tissues with more bone, making the creature more skeleton than anything else

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    Not that I'm some sort of fuckin nerd that religiously collected and read every entry I could find in that game. :rotate:

JtgVX0H.png
    Darmak wrote: »

the argent energy causes the human tissue to ossify and grow, replacing most of the organs and tissues with more bone, making the creature more skeleton than anything else

But...
    Isn't the Doom Slayer using the Argent Energy himself?

But...
    Isn't the Doom Slayer using the Argent Energy himself?
    Yeah, but I don't know if he's directly using it or if it's just being channeled through the Praetor Armor. I also don't know if the Doom Slayer is human or something else. Maybe his vow of eternal vengeance against Hell gave him some sort of immunity? I dunno. Maybe they'll reveal more in the next one? I know I love that kind of shit, and I love how it was presented in Doom 2016

JtgVX0H.png
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Nothing bad happens to the Doomslayer because fuck you I'm the Doomslayer.

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I imagine the Doomslayer is less a person and more a universal force

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL

I like to think that there's a little bit of the Doom Slayer inside each of us

JtgVX0H.png
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

I like to think that there's a little bit of the Doom Slayer inside each of us

Usually his fist inside of our rib-cage or his boot inside of out abdomen, because we are hell-slaved zombies by that point.

H9f4bVe.png
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular

If there is a Hell, then there must be a Heaven. And while the Doomslayer is waging his lonely battle to thwart Olivia's scheme to bring Hell into our dimension, where is Heaven while this is going on ? Where do you suppose the Doomslayer's power comes from, his indomitable will, his unquenchable drive to fight and slay until his enemies are defeated ?

Fairchild wrote: »

If there is a Hell, then there must be a Heaven.

I wouldn't assume anything regarding whether or not Heaven exists in the Doom universe.

If there is a Hell, then there must be a Heaven.

I wouldn't assume anything regarding whether or not Heaven exists in the Doom universe.

In-game it mentions that the seraphim gave him power and speed, so that might indicate heaven does exist.

JtgVX0H.png
    I need to play this game again.

Doom is Diablo fanfiction?

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Heaven might just be whatever the hell Argent D'Nur was supposed to be - another alternate reality distinct from Hell and the Earth-dimension with some weird people and creatures in it.

H9f4bVe.png
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Heaven might just be whatever the hell Argent D'Nur was supposed to be - another alternate reality distinct from Hell and the Earth-dimension with some weird people and creatures in it.

I figure something similar. It's probably just another realm that happens to be opposed to Hell's conquest of other dimensions

JtgVX0H.png
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Sounds like you guys really got into the story. I just ran around and blasted stuff. This game really did satisfy both, huh.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    No, the story is very bare bones and tucked away in a few tablets and data entries, we aren't talking the normal Bethesda-level depth here. Which is on purpose.

The backstory is sparse yes but the elements of it are very tantalizing. Just the fact that the Doomguy/Doomslayer's origins are as mysterious as they are is pretty interesting when compared with past Doom games.

H9f4bVe.png
    If I were them, I would provide no more detail about Doomguy's origins. Make him an inscrutable enigma, it adds to his sense of invincibility.

edited July 2018
    If I were them, I would provide no more detail about Doomguy's origins. Make him an inscrutable enigma, it adds to his sense of invincibility.

See also: The Doom comic
    Having little to no background hasn't stopped it in the past. No reason to think this won't make it worse, now.

https://www.doomworld.com/10years/doomcomic/comic.php

L Ron Howard on
    All this talk is making me kind of nervous that the premise Doom Eternal could be that while the Doomslayer was defeating Hell on Mars, Hell took on Heaven and that’s how Hell got to Earth. :(

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited July 2018

If there is a Hell, then there must be a Heaven. And while the Doomslayer is waging his lonely battle to thwart Olivia's scheme to bring Hell into our dimension, where is Heaven while this is going on ? Where do you suppose the Doomslayer's power comes from, his indomitable will, his unquenchable drive to fight and slay until his enemies are defeated ?

I think it’s pretty obvious.

1) chainsaw
    2) shotgun
    3) hatred for things demonic
    He’s an avatar of Ash Williams.

edit: the rage comes from being mute and not able to spout one-liners

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
    You know, I was just thinking that exact same thing. I don't know the history of the EVIL DEAD franchise before the cable series from the past couple of years, does Ash Williams pre-date DOOM or did DOOM come first ? Clearly one inspired the other.

You know, I was just thinking that exact same thing. I don't know the history of the EVIL DEAD franchise before the cable series from the past couple of years, does Ash Williams pre-date DOOM or did DOOM come first ? Clearly one inspired the other.

The Evil Dead movies are from the 80's and Army of Darkness was 1992, so it predates Doom.

Ash is frankly too much of a (loveable) fuckup to be Doomguy.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Back when Doom first came out, I just assumed the chainsaw was an homage to Evil Dead 2.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Ash is frankly too much of a (loveable) fuckup to be Doomguy.

Doomguy is what you get when Ash loses his sense of humor.

All killer, no filler. Because there's just more killer.

• jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular

Meth?

I'm reminded of an exchange in the book John Dies at the End, paraphrasing:

"I know there's a hell, but I don't think there's a heaven anymore."
    "Why not?"
    "Because it's the opposite of what I want to be believe."

I think Doomverse might just suck.

H9f4bVe.png
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Heaven doesn't exist in Doom. The concept of "Hell" is just another dimension, and our common understanding of Judeo-Christian Hell is just early humans referencing the alternate dimension from a limited understanding granted via the occasional human or demon who was able to travel between the two during prehistory.

Source:
    my ass

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    they reference other dimensions so It would be awesome if heaven sees what humanity did with argent energy, and gets tempted itself, and starts to mine hell for energy too. And so doom guy has to step up to the pearly gates and start kicking some angel ass too

Prohass on
    THAT JUST MEANS THERE'S MORE TO RIP AND TEAR!!!!!!!!

The UAC'd probably be like, "What if we spliced parts from seraphim and demon, then stapled on some rocket launcher and railguns? What could go wrong?"

JtgVX0H.png
    Prohass wrote: »
    they reference other dimensions so It would be awesome if heaven sees what humanity did with argent energy, and gets tempted itself, and starts to mine hell for energy too. And so doom guy has to step up to the pearly gates and start kicking some angel ass too

Let me introduce to this game called DIABLO 3, maybe you've heard of it ? It's published by one of those obscure little indy software houses.

• jokerdiscoveryjokerdiscovery Registered User new member
    Prohass wrote: »

This reminds me of Bayonetta for some reason. Really digged the designs of the angels in that game. Would be sweet to turn up to violence and see what they're really made of.