As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Short-term health insurance for new immigrants to Vermont

physi_marcphysi_marc Positron TrackerIn a nutshellRegistered User regular
My wife and I are moving from Canada to Vermont for a job in September. We will be in the States for about 2 weeks before our health coverage through my new employer starts. We'd like to get short-term health insurance (not comprehensive, just something that covers emergencies) for those 2 weeks. I've been struggling finding anything online. Anyone can point me in the right direction or offer advice?

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    https://portal.healthconnect.vermont.gov/VTHBELand/welcome.action

A move or job change qualifies you to enroll in the ACA plans at any time. Sign up for a month, then cancel it.

It used to, anyways. I don’t think that has changed yet....

• Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    Thanks, I’ll call them and see what they say. I’d prefer avoiding signing up for a full out ACA plan because it seems like the “cheapest” one is about $850 per month on that website.

Are there any purely accidental plans, like a travel insurance? For the two weeks we will be without coverage, we don’t need preventive care, prescription drugs, etc.

Any Canadian ex-pats have experience with this?

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Oh, I missed the Canadian part.

850 is crazy high... that's per person?

VishNub on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »

That's probably for a couple. But yes, the healthcare exchange prices have gone through the roof recently due to Republican sabotage.

Probably best to ask on ex-pat forums rather than this general one, as it's a very specialized question.

• Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »

That's probably for a couple. But yes, the healthcare exchange prices have gone through the roof recently due to Republican sabotage.

Probably best to ask on ex-pat forums rather than this general one, as it's a very specialized question.

Thanks! I’ve found a couple of places that offer visitors insurance in the USA. H visa holders are apparently eligible and the plans are about 70-80$ per month. We’ll probably go with this option