As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cyberpunk 2077 - It Can't Get Darker Than Night City, Right?

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I used to be all about that non-lethal sneaky type of gameplay. I dunno what happened, but over the years I've lost my patience for it. Way easier, and faster to stealth kill and hide the bodies :P

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I hope it goes so far as being able to seduce and/or blackmail people into doing all of my dirty work for me. If I can complete the whole game without ever pulling the trigger myself I'll be super pleased.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I used to be all about that non-lethal sneaky type of gameplay. I dunno what happened, but over the years I've lost my patience for it. Way easier, and faster to stealth kill and hide the bodies :P

Usually I try sneay...then someone sees me, and I have to kill them to not lose.. Then another one... And another one... And suddenly there's 47 dead and I have a Barcode on my neck

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Since the main complaint seems to be that the *main quest* for Witcher 3 becomes irrelevant / faceroll easy if you're a nerd who does All The Sidequests (eg, most RPG players)... what if there was dynamic scaling, but only for the "main quest"?

Meaning: *most* of the world works the usual way, where you have level 1 tweakers in the gutter who are just... well, level 1 tweakers in the gutter, and you've got level 56 SpecOps or whatever. But the main quest actually scales. And THAT might actually make sense, since usually the main quest is you against some Very Big threat which knows about you and with which you engage over the course of the game, so wouldn't it make sense that whoever you're dealing with in the main quest knows about your exploits across the city and thus upgrades their weapons and armor, or hires tougher goons, or whatever?

The key here would be to make sure that the main quest can't scale up so bad that you can't beat it, but maybe it always has a default level for level gating (like, idk, most of the quests I'm at in Witcher 3 right now are level 12?), but once you pass the "gate" level, it always stays at one level below whatever your level is. So yeah, you can prep for it and such, but it'll never be faceroll easy.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Since the main complaint seems to be that the *main quest* for Witcher 3 becomes irrelevant / faceroll easy if you're a nerd who does All The Sidequests (eg, most RPG players)... what if there was dynamic scaling, but only for the "main quest"?

Meaning: *most* of the world works the usual way, where you have level 1 tweakers in the gutter who are just... well, level 1 tweakers in the gutter, and you've got level 56 SpecOps or whatever. But the main quest actually scales. And THAT might actually make sense, since usually the main quest is you against some Very Big threat which knows about you and with which you engage over the course of the game, so wouldn't it make sense that whoever you're dealing with in the main quest knows about your exploits across the city and thus upgrades their weapons and armor, or hires tougher goons, or whatever?

The key here would be to make sure that the main quest can't scale up so bad that you can't beat it, but maybe it always has a default level for level gating (like, idk, most of the quests I'm at in Witcher 3 right now are level 12?), but once you pass the "gate" level, it always stays at one level below whatever your level is. So yeah, you can prep for it and such, but it'll never be faceroll easy.

Metal Gear Solid V does a good job with this. You specialize in stealth and the enemy invests in dogs and night vision. Sniper? Kevlar helmets. Direct assault? Body armor and machine guns. The game even had side mechanics that allowed you to sabotage enemy factories and shipments to disrupt their attempts to disrupt you.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited July 2018

Probably because you got tired of slowly inching around an area full of near sighted guards wearing blinders.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    if i cant seduce my whole way through the game - every single enemy - cdpr have failed

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    if i cant seduce my whole way through the game - every single enemy - cdpr have failed

Including cyber tanks and ambulatory weapon platforms.

Especially ambulatory weapon platforms.

If I can't fuck a tachikoma, NO SALE.

• Options
    Tachikomas sound kinda like kids, though...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Tachikomas sound kinda like kids, though...

He said NO SALE SIR!

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular

Yeah, then this can be my ME Andromeda. Never played that game because it didn't let me pelvic thrust across the Galaxy. So maybe I can pelvic thrust across Night City instead.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »

Yeah, then this can be my ME Andromeda. Never played that game because it didn't let me pelvic thrust across the Galaxy. So maybe I can pelvic thrust across Night City instead.

Be careful of sexually transmitted pop-up ads.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

I legit want to have some shady backalley deal for some hardware and now there's popups all over my HUD and oh no that's why it was so cheap.

• Options
    Moridin889 wrote: »

I legit want to have some shady backalley deal for some hardware and now there's popups all over my HUD and oh no that's why it was so cheap.

I mentioned this before, but since we know we can hack enemies and enemies can hack us I desperately, desperately hope that hacks that "blind" are literally pop-up ads all over your HUD.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018

I think it would be better to make a game where you can't "out level" the main quest, because there are no levels.
    Withcher 3 main quest can become irrelevant/faceroll easy because the game depends on pure numbers to definee much of the difficulty.
    The difference between level 1 sword and level 12 sword is insane, preferably, that will not be the case in Cyberpunk.

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    Nyysjan wrote: »

I think it would be better to make a game where you can't "out level" the main quest, because there are no levels.
    Withcher 3 main quest can become irrelevant/faceroll easy because the game depends on pure numbers to definee much of the difficulty.
    The difference between level 1 sword and level 12 sword is insane, preferable, that will not be the case in Cyberpunk.

I do think tying gear to levels is fucking stupid. Let me wear what hats I want, dammit. Let me go Morrowind-with-the-Expansions and somehow survive the Dark Brotherhood assassin who showed up IN MY BEDROOM AT 3:00 AM and TAKE HIS NICE PANTS which I can wear at level 1 because THEY'RE PANTS, GOD DAMN IT. I don't need to be a certain level of skill to wear Pants!*

*Perhaps a certain level of Cool. But seriously.

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular

The difference between level 1 sword and level 12 sword is insane, preferable, that will not be the case in Cyberpunk.

I do think tying gear to levels is fucking stupid. Let me wear what hats I want, dammit. Let me go Morrowind-with-the-Expansions and somehow survive the Dark Brotherhood assassin who showed up IN MY BEDROOM AT 3:00 AM and TAKE HIS NICE PANTS which I can wear at level 1 because THEY'RE PANTS, GOD DAMN IT. I don't need to be a certain level of skill to wear Pants!*

*Perhaps a certain level of Cool. But seriously.

Counterpoint:

z1dcw3pw8ufn.jpg

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

It Follows: 2077

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

It Follows: 2077

A virus that screws with your Facebook page: It UnFollows.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    An interesting note about Tachikomas is that they were programmed with child voices to assure(trick) their users that they were dealing with a machine product that was intellectually inferior. It was a feature.

Also I'm sorry

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Dynamic leveling is stupid because it leads to situations where you're getting mugged by people who are wearing millions of dollars worth of gear.

Like the bandits in Oblivion?

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    An interesting note about Tachikomas is that they were programmed with child voices to assure(trick) their users that they were dealing with a machine product that was intellectually inferior. It was a feature.

Also I'm sorry

Because the last thing i want to hear before I die from a 9mm gatling gun is a 5year old shouting memes.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Beezel wrote: »

Also I'm sorry

Because the last thing i want to hear before I die from a 9mm gatling gun is a 5year old shouting memes.

Their memes are, of course, Dostoevsky, Keyes, Kafka, Dawkins, etc.. A pretty wide range of literature.

At some point, memes became circular and reverted back to books. Possibly when the last anonymous internet user was found out.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Big Classy wrote: »
    What year did the dwarves and elves come over to Europe? :lol:

Actually I'm super on board with the potatoes nitpick because when people questioned the lack of people of color on Witcher, a thousand screeching fanboys started crowing about historical accuracy.

Zerrikania is not-middle east from its descriptions.

• Options
    /quietly drives by

TOMORROW, THINGS WILL HAPPEN (PROBABLY)

• Options
    Gimmie a release date, or else!

Or else I'll just continue to wait!

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Gimmie a release date, or else!

Or else I'll just continue to wait!

Maybe you will wait.

I'll wait angrily.

• Options
    real talk: I have major depressive disorder, and sometimes going "well jackass you still got Cyberpunk 2077 to look forward to" keeps me going

(I see a therapist every week, so don't get unduly worried about me; brains are just absolute bastards sometimes)

• Options
    If there is no release date then I'll make like the UN and pen a strongly worded letter.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    New screens.

My biggest takeaway: I LOVE the handgun designs. Hopefully the game allows builds that use handguns as a primary weapon because aesthetically I love that especially in a setting like this.

• Options
    Hopefully they have something more substantial than 4 screenshots to share... You don't need to tease a day in advance if all you're going to have is 4 screenshots.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Hopefully they have something more substantial than 4 screenshots to share... You don't need to tease a day in advance if all you're going to have is 4 screenshots.

Well Gamescon is like 5 days long or something.

So I'm sure there will be more but I'd also expect there to be more "behind closed door" stuff that we only get to hear about and not see yet.

• Options
    edited August 2018

There was apparently a live interview at 3 PM CEST today on IGN

... Which I think was 9 AM today? I am too old to understand Twitch. :\

*edit* Caught a replay of the interview.

They say they've made alterations to the E3 demo both narratively and gameplay-wise; hope someone who played both can tell us what's what.

Some concept art

Chatting about the world

Still aren't showing the demo (which I agree with tbh, gamers are cray).

So mostly this seems a second chance to get feedback on the demo.

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Saw a tweet that revealed the specs on the PC that ran the demo today:

CPU: Intel i7-8700K @ 3.70 GHz
    MB: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I GAMING
    RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V, 2x16GB, 3000MHz, CL15
    GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
    SSD: Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB M.2 PCIe
    PSU: Corsair SF600 600W

Since my poor frankentower is on its last legs, I was curious how pricey a build like this would be; pcpartpicker says those components currently retail for $1879 :bigfrown:

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »

Since my poor frankentower is on its last legs, I was curious how pricey a build like this would be; pcpartpicker says those components currently retail for $1879 :bigfrown:

If you want to hear something really depressing, the new nVidia cards cost 2/3 of that by themselves.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »

The game is not coming out for awhile. There's plenty of time for those components to drop in price.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Also that rig will probably be a little overkill for the final product. It's a buggy unoptimized version they want to run at max settings for display.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Also that rig will probably be a little overkill for the final product. It's a buggy unoptimized version they want to run at max settings for display.

Yeah I wouldn't draw any conclusions from the specs of a demo machine. Even were it 100% optimized they'd still put it on something massively overpowered just to be on the safe side.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Road Block wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »

Yeah I wouldn't draw any conclusions from the specs of a demo machine. Even were it 100% optimized they'd still put it on something massively overpowered just to be on the safe side.

Yup. Remember, at this point the game is supposed to hit this generation of hardware; the low bar for which is that it has to run, somehow, on an original model Xbox One.

No doubt with everything cranked it'll tax a beast of a PC, but that is not going to be its minimum spec or anything unless it slips into the next generation.

Which, yeah, granted there's a non-zero chance of that. And those screens (and the trailer) still look like sorcery. But still.

Jazz on
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

The difference between level 1 sword and level 12 sword is insane, preferably, that will not be the case in Cyberpunk.

It's cyberpunk. The low level weapons are going to be a zip gun firing low caliber pistol rounds and a prison shank, the high level stuff will be a gauss gun with a multi-mag firing your choice of shaped charge, frag, or AP neurotoxin rounds and nanodiamond vibroblades with monoatomic edges and a built in taser.

Anyway, getting the gear of ultimate awesomeness is half the fun, so I'd prefer that I not get the good stuff and discover that it does three more damage or some such. If they want to balance things so that I can't just faceroll some mission then I'd prefer that they tweak the antagonist's capabilities as in MGSV or add in a couple extra badass NPC types that will take exception to what I'm up to. So if I need to beat down some low level punk, have the game tweak the mission so he's interacting with someone who would be a challenge step in to basically proxy fight for the main target.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!