As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DCEU]: The Batman, The

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    In this case I think it is great so far. I want to see Shazam act like a 14 year old in this.

I want to see him go fanboy on Superman.

This is the first movie that DC has done in a long while where I'm excited for the final project. Also, I love Levi, so more movies with him are never a bad thing.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • grumblethorngrumblethorn Registered User regular
    that evokes a dennis the menace vibe. Not really how Shazam really is.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Superpowered Big looks like great fun to me so far

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I'm not a fan of the bubblegum. It sort of does the youth thing, but losing the lower half of his face ends up for a bad picture.

In other news, Suicide Squad is available for digital rental in my area, so I'll be dropping the $4 and inflicting it on me. I guess it has Will Smith being Will Smith and Margot Robbie in skimpy clothing so... yeah... that's only slightly more to recommend it than Showgirls.
    I'd wait for it to get to Netflix, but the DC movies have a heck of a lag to get to streaming. Marvel ones show up pretty damn quick though.
    The roster for Birds of Prey has been revealed.

https://www.thewrap.com/birds-of-prey-black-canary-huntress-cassandra-cain-renee-montoya/
    Black Canary, Huntress, Cassandra Cain, and Renee Montoya will join Harley Quinn’s girl gang in the Margot Robbie film “Birds of Prey,” TheWrap has exclusively learned.

Robbie will produce “Birds of Prey” and reprise her “Suicide Squad” character, Harley Quinn. The film is centered around a revolving group of female heroes and villains, individuals with knowledge of thew project tell TheWrap.

In addition, TheWrap has learned that the villain in “Birds of Prey” will be a Batman comics villain who has never before appeared on the big screen.

Pls don't fuck up Huntress and Cassie, WB.

Batgirl_Birds_of_Prey_4_Shirahama_large.jpg?v=1478668584

Was Robbie's performance as Harley strong enough to run a movie and introduce a bunch of not-exactly-A-lister characters (I mean I think I recognize the first two names from the Arrow TV show, but that's about it)? Marvel's been, consistent enough that I'm cool with dropping money on anything they put out and the Deadpool sub-franchise has been entertaining enough for me to take the risk there too, but DC has been pretty consistent in the opposite direction. This movie is taking a character from an ensemble cast and using her to headline what kind of looks like another ensemble cast, from a distance it looks like the usual DC plan of starting work on the second floor without building the foundation.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Was Robbie's performance as Harley strong enough to run a movie and introduce a bunch of not-exactly-A-lister characters (I mean I think I recognize the first two names from the Arrow TV show, but that's about it)? Marvel's been, consistent enough that I'm cool with dropping money on anything they put out and the Deadpool sub-franchise has been entertaining enough for me to take the risk there too, but DC has been pretty consistent in the opposite direction. This movie is taking a character from an ensemble cast and using her to headline what kind of looks like another ensemble cast, from a distance it looks like the usual DC plan of starting work on the second floor without building the foundation.

Can't say for certain, but I do know Harley was one of the well liked characters in the movie, add in the fact Robbie herself is no lightweight at the box office (that said, actors who do this by themselves are a dying species these days - aside from maybe Tom Cruise). The problems with Suicide Squad were on the production side, not the actors. If WB learnt their lesson and doesn't rush the production schedule, the script for Squad was only made something like two weeks before shooting started, then it'll be more coherent. Nobody knows how the new guy in charge of WB's film division will be yet, and unfortunately WB execs remain their own anchor on the franchises. The good news is that they've made some progress, but it is baby steps.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Robbie has a producing credit, which might be good. The director is a young'un, which might be bad if there's any conflict between her and Robbie. No indication on who is writing, is it Yan?

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • grumblethorngrumblethorn Registered User regular
    She was great. People loved her character, and tbo Harley has such a cultural presence this should do decent along with Robbie's clout.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I saw quite a bit of Suicide Squad Harley cosplay at recent events, so it makes sense.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I saw quite a bit of Suicide Squad Harley cosplay at recent events, so it makes sense.

The cynicism in me wonders if that's just due to how simple the costume is over genuine popularity for the look. It's a shirt, hair clips, and hair dye. It's certainly not as intricite as some of her other looks throughout the years.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    DC just unveiled the pricing for DC Universe.

$7.99 per month or $74.99 per year.

I'll be waiting until it launches and see everything that is available.

Currently the kids and I are going through BtAS on Prime or as they call it, the retro Batman. Batman '66 is the "very old Batman show."

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »

I cant see that system working at all. Unless they are prepared to run a platform for very very few subs.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
    FANTOMAS wrote: »

I cant see that system working at all. Unless they are prepared to run a platform for very very few subs.

To be fair that includes access to DC's comic library, which is nice. But that's pretty much a tall sell when most of the world is already at peak streaming service.

Meanwhile, here's the trailer for Titans, which is trying very hard to be the sequel to Batman v Superman. And also includes the phrase "fuck Batman."

https://youtu.be/d5dIwGAYcWk

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »

To be fair that includes access to DC's comic library, which is nice. But that's pretty much a tall sell when most of the world is already at peak streaming service.

Meanwhile, here's the trailer for Titans, which is trying very hard to be the sequel to Batman v Superman. And also includes the phrase "fuck Batman."

https://youtu.be/d5dIwGAYcWk

Does DC not know what the sun is? Are their head offices like in Iceland half the year and in Antarctica the other?

Titans is serious, but it doesn't need to be set in another entirely at night universe. Take some JOY in life.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    They've gone full grimderp

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    "This video is not available". Have they pulled it?

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    It's region locked because of course it is

e*
    this one plays though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUfI2w-K3RE

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    So, the video for titans didn't play, but based on what everyone is saying I'm concluding that it will be another joyless slog?

Like for fucks sake DC, your 5 movies in at this point and the constant criticism of your cinematic vision is that it's entirely too fucking somber.

Also i just watched it and between robin throwing bronze Rs at people, and the girl I'm presuming is raven saying something about liking the darkness inside of her I can't help but laugh at how someone somewhere proposed this with a straight face at a board meeting and everyone was like "Sounds great, here's the money to hire some twenty somethings that can't process vitamin D the same way the rest of us do by just standing outside in broad daylight!"

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    That trailer reminds me of that David Willis comic.... DC bad at math.

Teen Titans on television has pretty much been light hearted and fun since 2003, more so since Go! Why take that market share and turn it into a grim dark turd that is going to turn away the fans of the Teen Titans. I think something in the vein of arrow-verse DC shenanigans would have been more fitting.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    I'm not willing to condem it on one trailer. The original Wolfman run opened with Raven manipulating Robin into forming the new teen Titans to battle Trigon. I can totally see someone taking that story and turning it into a horror story version of Titans. There's potential there. But it's very thin ice that they are treading.

PSN|AspectVoid
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    I'm not willing to condem it on one trailer. The original Wolfman run opened with Raven manipulating Robin into forming the new teen Titans to battle Trigon. I can totally see someone taking that story and turning it into a horror story version of Titans. There's potential there. But it's very thin ice that they are treading.

Here's the problem, 'Grimdark' is called grimdark because in reality stories about these heroes should be grim, BUT, telling a realistic story about superheroes is REALLY hard, and if you don't do an amazing job with a coherant vision and amazingly compelling characters and story then you land on your face and you end up with either...

1) A satire of the seriousness and darkenss (40K - In the grim darkness of the far future!)
    2) Garbage

When you tell a light hearted story, you don't have quite as high a high you can shoot for but you can routinely do well.

A grim and dark story is what you earn after you have hit the ball out of the park a few times on a light hearted story.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Amazon's version of The Tick manages to thread a needle of being simultaneously lighthearted and horrifyingly grim. Weaponized syphilis...

wonder if the DC folks could learn something from that. Probably not, given the track record.

Fry on
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »

Here's the problem, 'Grimdark' is called grimdark because in reality stories about these heroes should be grim, BUT, telling a realistic story about superheroes is REALLY hard, and if you don't do an amazing job with a coherant vision and amazingly compelling characters and story then you land on your face and you end up with either...

1) A satire of the seriousness and darkenss (40K - In the grim darkness of the far future!)
    2) Garbage

When you tell a light hearted story, you don't have quite as high a high you can shoot for but you can routinely do well.

A grim and dark story is what you earn after you have hit the ball out of the park a few times on a light hearted story.

Right, but for it to be grim dark, there would have to be no point to it, like BvS, where it was Dark DARK DARKNESS for the sake of being dark. We don't know that this is the case from the trailer. It could be a story about the Titans facing demonic possession, and the next scene after all of those violent clips in the trailer is the bright day of the next morning with the heroes doing a giant WTF and trying to figure out what happened to them.

All I am saying is that I'm not going to condem it yet. It could be grimdark trash, or it could be an interesting heroes vs horror TV show. From that trailer, I think it can still fall on either side of the line.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular

2) Garbage

Right, but for it to be grim dark, there would have to be no point to it, like BvS, where it was Dark DARK DARKNESS for the sake of being dark. We don't know that this is the case from the trailer. It could be a story about the Titans facing demonic possession, and the next scene after all of those violent clips in the trailer is the bright day of the next morning with the heroes doing a giant WTF and trying to figure out what happened to them.

All I am saying is that I'm not going to condem it yet. It could be grimdark trash, or it could be an interesting heroes vs horror TV show. From that trailer, I think it can still fall on either side of the line.

Except nothing DC's film or television departments in general not Geoff John's in particular leads one to believe anything other than they are, once again, doing terrible dark and gritty straight with no redeeming twists.

2) Garbage

But thats my exact point, there are indeed MANY story structures which allow for the telling of a grim and terrible story, and doing so very effectively. Its just that doing that is hard, far harder than telling a simple, hopefully and optimistic story. It's something that you (as a team) should show you might be capable of before you try.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    "Fuck Batman" and neck-stepping. Well there goes Jason Todd's thing I guess.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The biggest sin is what they did to Starfire. I get TV budget but come on

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

She looks like someone they interview half way through an episode of CSI

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    TexiKen wrote: »

The girl/woman with the flame hair is starfire? I thought she was like Volcana or something

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    With Starfire it looks like they're trying to merge her many iterations and it's not a very good look. The 80s hairstyle should not be a thing.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Okay, I admit the trailer was so bad, I stopped before they got to Starfire

• DunderDunder Registered User regular
    Who is the woman(?) this nwhite with the feathers? Is that supposed to be dove?

• MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I will repeat what I said in the trailer thread.

That's a bad trailer. Shows can be OK with bad trailers. But that is a very bad trailer.
    Dunder wrote: »
    Who is the woman(?) this nwhite with the feathers? Is that supposed to be dove?
    Yes.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    Henroid wrote: »
    With Starfire it looks like they're trying to merge her many iterations and it's not a very good look. The 80s hairstyle should not be a thing.

While I applaud them for bringing diversity to the team, if they are going to cast starfire as a black actress then EVERY other aspect of her costume and look should play up the most well known Teen Titans iteration. I hope they at least keep her 'innocent little mermaid like' attitude to humans and earth, where she gets confused and does silly endearing things like wearing shoes on her hands or baking cakes entirely from sugar. But, then thats a problematic choice for the minority member of the team to be the 'confused outsider'

They've just created more difficulty for themselves here.

• MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular

While I applaud them for bringing diversity to the team, if they are going to cast starfire as a black actress then EVERY other aspect of her costume and look should play up the most well known Teen Titans iteration. I hope they at least keep her 'innocent little mermaid like' attitude to humans and earth, where she gets confused and does silly endearing things like wearing shoes on her hands or baking cakes entirely from sugar. But, then thats a problematic choice for the minority member of the team to be the 'confused outsider'

Fuck no, let's just have her roast some street-level thugs with apparently literal FIRE powers now.

ar5iqf7ljl7m.png

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    MagicPrime wrote: »

Fuck no, let's just have her roast some street-level thugs with apparently literal FIRE powers now.

ar5iqf7ljl7m.png

Which is why I assumed she wasn't Starfire, but was instead like Volcana or urgh, who's that other fire power woman... She's usually a villain. Still, nothing about seeing that trailer said "This is Starfire" to me, because she didn't look or act like Starfire. And, (as ever), if starfire's powers are too expensive, then USE SOMEONE ELSE.

It's the 47,000th time this has been posted, but circumstances demand we make it 47,001. (The song starts at 1:10)

https://youtu.be/r5VXwiSpRFo

I think they forgot that this was a parody.

osbqcsnmi328.jpg

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    Muahahahaha, first by a few seconds!

Muahahahaha, first by a few seconds!

CURSES!

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    Oh my god my life is complete after seeing that.

This discussion has been closed.