As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Manticores and Manicures: a Well Groomed Table Top Thread.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I get to play pathfinder again tonight!!

I've been playing in the game my younger brother in law is in for the past few weeks. I usually do one session guest spots when I spend a Thursday out there (my dirtbag half orc sorc shows up burns some stuff down then disappears back to his lucrative, but petty crimes), but the DM wrapped me into a whole siege on the city plotline and I really wanted to burn down some siege equipment so I've been remoting in.

I am actually really impressed with the level of RP they bring. They will burn multiple hours on RP and it is fantastic. Like I was supposed to remote in last session to get into this siege and we burned like the whole session on RP and didn't get into the combat till the very end of the session. One player in particular is playing multiple characters (they have a leadership light feat that gives them a squire). It is in fact a bard and his guard. From remote, audio only, I can tell which one I'm talking to, this kid is literally playing two characters the best I've seen someone handle two characters. Like I think the dude has committed to dropping bars as multiple characters every session, and the dude ain't half bad at it either.

So that's going to be pretty dope.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Legacy on stream tonight, Heroes enter Thorbardin in DragonLance tomorrow, and action starts in Eberron on Saturday. Shaping up to be a busy weekend.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    tabletop thread:

I've found myself being set up for an impromptu DM'ing session tomorrow night, wherein my players want to have a "one last hurrah" adventure for some characters they played about a year ago. Only three players, and while the characters are from D&D I was wondering if there are any one shot/interesting indie games I could use to give them a final adventure that don't take too long to set up and are a little less mechanical, since I have basically no prep time

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    WheatBun01 wrote: »
    tabletop thread:

I've found myself being set up for an impromptu DM'ing session tomorrow night, wherein my players want to have a "one last hurrah" adventure for some characters they played about a year ago. Only three players, and while the characters are from D&D I was wondering if there are any one shot/interesting indie games I could use to give them a final adventure that don't take too long to set up and are a little less mechanical, since I have basically no prep time

One Last Job is a crime game but should be pretty easy to hack into this. It is very rules light though.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    tabletop thread:

What are your character levels and brief histories?

• Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    tabletop thread:

They were level 7-8 or so and their story originally ended with them becoming dedicated defenders of Neverwinter.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    If they had a main rival or something, that rival coming back as a litch or otherwise powerful undead and them being called back in for one last job sounds pretty fun.

Personally for something like this I'd try to pull as much stuff from their old adventures as possible and basically do a "getting the band back together for their greatest hits" type of thing.

• Options
    Sleep wrote: »
    tabletop thread:

They were level 7-8 or so and their story originally ended with them becoming dedicated defenders of Neverwinter.

Like guards, or like super hero style called on for defense of the city type stuff? Also which classes?

What were they fighting as their big bad before?

• Options
    Basically for a 5e one shot you need 2 to 3 combats, 2 skill challenge type encounters, and a terminating connection to prior plot. Especially in this case, unless jump starting a campaign is your goal, you want to make sure there's no crumbs to follow or questions to ask at the end of the session. Just a self contained little plot. This is the characters getting to be badass, fight a few badass things, save the city one more time and solidify the characters as heroes real quick. Assuming that's the general player buy in.

• Options
    McKidMcKid Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    McKid wrote: »
    Adam Koebel is one of the best streaming GM right now, and definetly one of the most influent regarding the indie scene. He's been with Roll20 and with RollPlay for years now.

One of my favorite thing about Adam is that he's one of the toughest GMs I've ever seen* regardless of whether he's playing OSR/D&D or narrative games. It really puts the idea of narrative games as being success-generators into the ground.

*though he would describe it as just playing by the rules of the game.

I've never understood the "success-generators/no challenge" line. Like, Burning Wheel and Apocalypse World are just ruthless. Every failed roll is so punishing ! I really never felt like I failed in such a way when I played DnD or other more traditional games.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    so, i'm using heavy and light ranged skills. what do you think bows and crossbows fall into? i imagine short bow is light, and a long bow would be heavy, and like wise with crossbows.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    so, i'm using heavy and light ranged skills. what do you think bows and crossbows fall into? i imagine short bow is light, and a long bow would be heavy, and like wise with crossbows.

I dunno, do any crossbows count as light? I figure a "light" crossbow is still closer to a longbow than shortbow.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options

Are we talking about light and heavy based on the kind of damage they put out or the ability to use them? Because pretty much all crossbows are light to use thanks to mechanical advantage. While non compound bows can require considerable strength.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Are we talking about light and heavy based on the kind of damage they put out or the ability to use them? Because pretty much all crossbows are light to use thanks to mechanical advantage. While non compound bows can require considerable strength.

i guess the split is one handed vs two handed. so all bows and most crossbows would be heavy. so i answered my own question.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    so having ranged heavy and light is probably not needed since it is basically pistols and not pistols. as these are pre ww2 smgs, they are rifle sized and not easily fired one handed.

might do a split of like modern and archaic (need better word) so your long bow skills don't make you a pistol expert.

Melding on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    so having ranged heavy and light is probably not needed since it is basically pistols and not pistols. as these are pre ww2 smgs, they are rifle sized and not easily fired one handed.

might do a split of like modern and archaic (need better word) so your long bow skills don't make you a pistol expert.

Starfinder uses "archaic" as a weapon type; they do -5 damage to modern armor...though Starfinder armor is like 6,000 years more advanced, not a couple hundred.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    So more than a year after it was first announced, Cyphers and Masks, the final FFG Star Wars career book, apparently got put on the boat today.

• Options

Starfinder uses "archaic" as a weapon type; they do -5 damage to modern armor...though Starfinder armor is like 6,000 years more advanced, not a couple hundred.

yeah, i'm kind of just deciding newly made plate armour is roughly as effective at bullets as it is crossbows because fuck it. archiac would cover bows, slings, cross bows, throwing axes and so on, modern would cover firearms and most grenades. I think that works out well enough. sure firing a pistol is different than rifle but it's more like firing a rifle than using a sling. Though crossbows do have some overlap, but no game is perfect.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Adam Koebel is one of the best streaming GM right now, and definetly one of the most influent regarding the indie scene. He's been with Roll20 and with RollPlay for years now.

One of my favorite thing about Adam is that he's one of the toughest GMs I've ever seen* regardless of whether he's playing OSR/D&D or narrative games. It really puts the idea of narrative games as being success-generators into the ground.

I've never understood the "success-generators/no challenge" line. Like, Burning Wheel and Apocalypse World are just ruthless. Every failed roll is so punishing ! I really never felt like I failed in such a way when I played DnD or other more traditional games.

It's the "if you can't die there's no tension" argumentand I'm just like, by the time we're done here you'll be begging for death.

admanb on
  • Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    So. Scum and Villainy plays pretty smoothly. It's definitely leaning heavily on Traveller and the idea of just trying to make ends meet, at least for the smuggler crew. But I suspect it's pretty similar for Bounty Hunters and Rebels, simply because there's not a ton of flexibility in awards.

Honestly my only real gripe right now is they may have split the archetypes a bit too far.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    so whoever has that kobold spymaster in their kingmaker game

you inspired me to make a smooth operating kobold spy

thinking they might be a mastermind

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    i am trying to thing of a good name ofr like, a gun using guy class. like, ranger, but for guns.

some kind, of, gunger.

• Options
    i am trying to thing of a good name ofr like, a gun using guy class. like, ranger, but for guns.

some kind, of, gunger.

Gun Wrangler

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

some kind, of, gunger.

Gunslinger

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ElddrikElddrik Registered User regular

some kind, of, gunger.

Does it need to be distinct from ranger (either a different class or a different name)? Could always just call it ranger if you're not using the traditional ranger as well.

I mean, ranger doesn't have 'bow' in the name, gun-class doesn't need to have 'gun' in the name.

• Options
    Gunguy or Gungal

Person What Uses Guns Well

They That Gunneth

Shootman or Shootwoman

Musketeer

Arquebusier

Fusilier

Jaeger

Gendarme

Gunhead, Bullettooh, Hammer Slammer

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I also love "Gendarme" but "Sharpshooter" is good in a pinch

• Options
    Elddrik wrote: »

some kind, of, gunger.

Does it need to be distinct from ranger (either a different class or a different name)? Could always just call it ranger if you're not using the traditional ranger as well.

I mean, ranger doesn't have 'bow' in the name, gun-class doesn't need to have 'gun' in the name.

it would need to be a different class, in the same kind of scout fight guy, but this one uses a gun instead of bows. that matters.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    My friend ended up buying the TMNT Shadows of the Past boardgame, and we spent the other day running through a couple scenarios, swapping out who was playing the villains every few maps

It's a pretty fun game, we still haven't had any scenarios with Shredder yet, but I'm already sufficiently terrified as a Foot Clan Elite totally fucked us up real bad as is

I really like the "sharing dice" mechanic. Basically each player rolls their dice for their character at the beginning of the round, and you can spend those dice to perform actions. But you also line the dice up in front of you, and you share the die on the left and right with the players sitting to your left and right, so there's a lot of negotiating and planning at the beginning of the round like "Oh shit I didn't roll any movement, hey put that movement on the end so I can use that" etc

Maddoc on
  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular

some kind, of, gunger.

Marshall

• Options
    Gunpowder Aficionado.

• Options
    McKidMcKid Registered User regular

It's the "if you can't die there's no tension" argumentand I'm just like, by the time we're done here you'll be begging for death.

Which is ridiculous, of course, because you can't really die in modern DnD. Like, you need to be so unlucky to get to this fail state that it might as well not exist. Whereas I felt so much failures and setbacks when I played Duc the Gunlugger, even though he could have wiped the whole setting by himself.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

some kind, of, gunger.

it would need to be a different class, in the same kind of scout fight guy, but this one uses a gun instead of bows. that matters.

Needs to be something that denotes that gunguy is using a very loud weapon as opposed to the ranger

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

some kind, of, gunger.

Go classic Dumas with "Musketeer"?
    Have side proficiency with light blades and a focus on rifles as opposed to pistols.

I do like Inq's "Hammer slammer" name. Maybe not for rifles but for a person (or maybe just a feat/skill) focused on using revolvers and dumping as many rounds downrange as quickly as possible.

Fake edit: I see that Inq has already mentioned Musketeer, but it's a good name so I'm seconding it for a rifle/sword focused class.

• Options
    the the problem is that it is a broad range of firearms. gunslinger would be good if it was pistols for example, rifleman if it was focused on rifle, but it in basically filling the same space as a ranger with any kind of gun. They that Gunneth has a ring to it, but is a bit, long to say.

for more insight, their skills are likely going to be Knowledge (geography), Discipline, Perception, Ranged (modern), Stealth, Survival, Vigilance, Melee (light)

where as ranger would have Knowledge (adventuring) instead of discipline, and Ranged (archaic) instead of modern.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    How about just Marksman? That's what I called my Gun class in my d20 Final Fantasy hack.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    This is 20th century America, right?

Why not just call 'em cowboys?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Shootist or it depends how popular that job is in the land could it be a title then?

• Options
    How about just Marksman? That's what I called my Gun class in my d20 Final Fantasy hack.

that is probably the easiest answer.

a lot of the gun games kind of don't work when there is a high chance the person using the gun is using a submachine gun.

This discussion has been closed.