As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Go find the new Shadowrun thread, this one has been hacked by elves

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Has anyone played the mobile versions of these, and if so, does anyone know if UGC works with the mobile versions?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I am pretty sure the UGC is not playable on mobile but I'm speaking from memory and could be wrong.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    RISE FROM YOUR GRAAAAVE

Waypoint's "Waypoint 101" video game book club podcast is doing Dragonfall this month. (The idea with this podcast is that the staff all play through a game, and hopefully the community plays it too, and then they do a big podcast where they can talk freely about the entire game without having to spend time explaining it to the audience or each other.)

All of that conversation was great, but it still left me wanting something a little more... interactive. So many of my favorite cyberpunk experiences are about immersion, and I don't just mean in the "first person climbing and healing animations" sense. What I first loved about Blade Runner was the sense of place, whether in Decker's apartment, on the city streets, or in the abandoned building that JF Sebastian lives in. It's a big part of why the Hell's Kitchen level of the original Deus Ex is still so clear in my memory: that shitty bar; your brother's apartment complex; the crummy free clinic. So much of what I love about Ken MacLeod's The Star Fraction (one of my favorite cyberpunk stories) is the way he renders the feeling of being in different places--from the dorms of anarchist mercenary outfits, to the clean biolabs of corporate-sponsored universities, to the sacrosanct salesroom of the setting's Mormon Church Turned World's Super Store. (No, really, read The Star Fraction, it's great).

So, is it any surprise that I convinced the rest of the team to spend the rest of the summer playing Shadowrun: Dragonfall, a game that so elegantly creates feelings of place-ness?

A tactical RPG with "ruthless corporations bleed[ing] the world dry" set in "a stable anarchy known as the Flux State" that's put under threat by "the Great Dragon Feuerschwinge"? How the hell hadn't we already done an ep of Waypoint 101 about Dragonfall?

We'll be recording our episode of Waypoint 101 sometime in the back half of August, so you have some time. Those of us on staff are committing to putting 10 hours or so in the game, though I'm pretty excited to play through the whole thing, including the Directors Cut content that I never got around to before. Also: You don't need to go back to play the original Shadowrun Returns or any other Shadowrun game to play this. Just hop right in to Dragonfall.

I went over to their forums and submitted the little quick guide I've written up for newcomers, and

ANYWAY, this is pretty cool and I'm really excited to see a bunch of new people playing this game and curious what their reaction will be.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Great guide!

I really need to beat Dragonfall so I can move on to Hong Kong .

Ed: iPhone autocorrect originally changed that sentence to say “... so I can Niven to hong long.” I shoulda left it that way - sounds cyberpunky.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    You're famous now Jacobkosh.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I'll never forgive Shadowrun for giving me an addiction to roleplaying as dwarves in fantasy games.

I want to play as the cool lizard men in Divinity OS 2 but I can't help but think back to just how damn awesome my vindicator minigun wielding dwarf Greasy was in Dragonfall and Hong Kong.

(Divinity would be a lot better series with miniguns)

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    I was only vaguely aware of Waypoint before (as being I believe one of the video games spaces pretty firmly pro respect and thoughtfulness and anti 'us gamers' rage?), but namedropping the Star Fraction and Ken MacLeod is a good sign, because man I love that book. Maybe this is a good excuse for a replay, to hang out in the Flux State again and hoover up the last achievements. Still haven't done the perfect Aztech run for example.

Also, that's awesome Jake. Better than that time a HBS called you out by name on a stream or on par?

• Options
    jakobagger wrote: »
    I was only vaguely aware of Waypoint before (as being I believe one of the video games spaces pretty firmly pro respect and thoughtfulness and anti 'us gamers' rage?), but namedropping the Star Fraction and Ken MacLeod is a good sign, because man I love that book. Maybe this is a good excuse for a replay, to hang out in the Flux State again and hoover up the last achievements. Still haven't done the perfect Aztech run for example.

Also, that's awesome Jake. Better than that time a HBS called you out by name on a stream or on par?

I think that was probably the most awesome, because it's the actual guy who made the thing and because it meant he had been hanging out here reading us talk about the game.

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Forgetting to write out the word developer after HBS makes that sentence seem a lot more. . .internetty than intended.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I still find it hilarious that the creators had no idea that Japan had made an SRPG based on the series.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I wonder if they knew about the foot tall action figure skirmish game.

Bigity on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    I just started replaying Hong Kong recently. Made a Street Sam that is very cybered up with the Ares Laser and the monofilament whips. Been fun just being an unstoppable badass that nukes things with lasers and whips anything that gets close.

And now I have acquired the mini gun.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Iblis wrote: »
    I just started replaying Hong Kong recently. Made a Street Sam that is very cybered up with the Ares Laser and the monofilament whips. Been fun just being an unstoppable badass that nukes things with lasers and whips anything that gets close.

And now I have acquired the mini gun.

You may be tough, but you are nothing compared to the noodle extruder.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Look, most characters aren't going to compete with an unknowable horror.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Iblis wrote: »
    Look, most characters aren't going to compete with an unknowable horror.

Listen to me, I'm just trying to keep everyone humble. Going against the gods is one thing, but I don't want someone getting cocky and trying to oppose the noodle extruder.

This is important.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    So, I decided to poke at Dragonfall. I'm new to this setting, and I just did the Trial Run mission...

...so, uh, is it just me or is the whole Lodge thing incredibly dumb?
    Like, let's review the mission they send you in: they lie to you about the mission objective (after Monika already gets killed in the opening sequence to establish that Bad Intel Will Get You Killed), they lie to you about your mission role, they saddle you with a dude they intend to shoot you in the back mid-mission, they saddle you with one of their own assets that you're expected to kill yourself, they blackmail a random civilian electrician into the crew instead of getting an actual rigger and *then* make her an involuntary mass homicide and domestic terrorist, likely traumatizing her for life. All for an extremely circuitous assassination attempt that you could just have asked me to do in the first place, and some test of character. And then Luca seems surprised if you tell him that whole thing was dumb and you will not be doing any further business with him.

Like, maybe I'm not understanding the setting correctly, but what smart runner would run again for a Johnson that explicitly and admittedly will lie to you about your run objectives and intentionally send their own payroll runners to die for a test of character of someone else? Even if you're playing an amoral jerk only in it for number one (which I'm not, so Lana's unnecessary traumatizing already had me out), this seems like a straight up "things that will get a shadowrunner 100% killed" bingo.

Are these people explicitly selecting for very dumb shadowrunners that will not last past a couple missions so they can never learn too much, or something?

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Drascin wrote: »
    So, I decided to poke at Dragonfall. I'm new to this setting, and I just did the Trial Run mission...

Like, let's review the mission they send you in: they lie to you about the mission objective (after Monika already gets killed in the opening sequence to establish that Bad Intel Will Get You Killed), they lie to you about your mission role, they saddle you with a dude they intend to shoot you in the back mid-mission, they saddle you with one of their own assets that you're expected to kill yourself, they blackmail a random civilian electrician into the crew instead of getting an actual rigger and *then* make her an involuntary mass homicide and domestic terrorist, likely traumatizing her for life. All for an extremely circuitous assassination attempt that you could just have asked me to do in the first place, and some test of character. And then Luca seems surprised if you tell him that whole thing was dumb and you will not be doing any further business with him.

Like, maybe I'm not understanding the setting correctly, but what smart runner would run again for a Johnson that explicitly and admittedly will lie to you about your run objectives and intentionally send their own payroll runners to die for a test of character of someone else? Even if you're playing an amoral jerk only in it for number one (which I'm not, so Lana's unnecessary traumatizing already had me out), this seems like a straight up "things that will get a shadowrunner 100% killed" bingo.

Are these people explicitly selecting for very dumb shadowrunners that will not last past a couple missions so they can never learn too much, or something?
    Pretty much. Alternatively, 'no, Mr. Bond, they expect you to die.'

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    They are pretty much looking for incredibly amoral people who are only after the bottom line. Their requests are all pretty terrible, at least the two I can remember.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    And for any newcomers: yes, Dragonfall is the best, but don't skip Returns/Dead Man's Switch. It's more 'street level' and less epic, but it has some great character moments and story progression.
    Also, some great cameos.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

No you're pretty much right. I actually always annoyed me that
    you don't have the option to berate Luca for being a fucking amateur playing cloak and dagger in the dumbest way possible.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    They are pretty much looking for incredibly amoral people who are only after the bottom line. Their requests are all pretty terrible, at least the two I can remember.
    Alternatively, people who will buy their "it's for the greater good" shtick.

• Options
    See, the thing is, even if you're only looking after yourself, these guys look like they will burn you off inside three jobs. If you have morals, they're obviously terrible, but even if you don't have morals, they're still a bunch of idiots that clearly consider runners not merely "replaceable" (which far as I can tell is more or less the usual place runners end up in), but outright "disposable". If you care for your own skin enough to want to have time to spend your cash, you probably also wouldn't work for these dudes!

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    See, the thing is, even if you're only looking after yourself, these guys look like they will burn you off inside three jobs. If you have morals, they're obviously terrible, but even if you don't have morals, they're still a bunch of idiots that clearly consider runners not merely "replaceable" (which far as I can tell is more or less the usual place runners end up in), but outright "disposable". If you care for your own skin enough to want to have time to spend your cash, you probably also wouldn't work for these dudes!

I think of them kind of like the people that create spam emails. All the bad grammar and misspellings aren't entirely accidental. They weed out anyone attentive enough to detail and smart enough to fall for the scheme playing on people's greed.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Well, I beat Dragonfall.

My general reaction to the ending, summarized:
    Vauclair: "My plan will kill every dragon!"
    Me: I am in favor of this plan
    Vauclair: "It will require the murder of every human being in the entire Berlin metropolitan area!"
    Me: ...and suddenly I am a lot less in favor of this plan

I probably would have let him hit the button otherwise.

Then I could talk to Firewing and she seems to be just about the only dragon I know of in this setting that appears to be, well, not cartoonishly evil? Like she's dangerous and has rage issues but also seems to have a motivation beyond "STUFF" and some cheap "you cannot understand the workings of this great mind" stuff that somehow basically always comes down to "CEO that speed-read The Prince once". And a cyberpunk dystopia probably could do with something protecting what forests remain. So I let her free. It's not like we're going to be more fucked because of one more dragon at this point, and she might actually be somewhat positive for a change.

• Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    Well, I beat Dragonfall.

Vauclair: "It will require the murder of every human being in the entire Berlin metropolitan area!"

Then I could talk to Firewing and she seems to be just about the only dragon I know of in this setting that appears to be, well, not cartoonishly evil? Like she's dangerous and has rage issues but also seems to have a motivation beyond "STUFF" and some cheap "you cannot understand the workings of this great mind" stuff that somehow basically always comes down to "CEO that speed-read The Prince once". And a cyberpunk dystopia probably could do with something protecting what forests remain. So I let her free. It's not like we're going to be more fucked because of one more dragon at this point, and she might actually be somewhat positive for a change.

Re your spoiler: If you've got a save at the appropriate point still, I highly recommend checking out what happens if
    you join Vauclair

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    antherem wrote: »
    Well, I beat Dragonfall.

Re your spoiler: If you've got a save at the appropriate point still, I highly recommend checking out what happens if
    you join Vauclair

That might be may favorite part of the game and that's saying something.

Also I love the track for the finale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp20Gqo67vA

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited September 2020
    We really need Shadowrun back.

Come onnn, Hairbrained Schemes. You got two projects in development, don't let me down.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    antherem wrote: »
    Well, I beat Dragonfall.

you join Vauclair

That might be may favorite part of the game and that's saying something.

Also I love the track for the finale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp20Gqo67vA

Yeah, it's rare to have an epic 'final boss' track nowadays, especially in WRPGs.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Come onnn, Hairbrained Schemes. You got two projects in development, don't let me down.

I worry that the rights to the FASA properties are just so fucked and have caused them so many headaches that they might have sworn them off at this point.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

I worry that the rights to the FASA properties are just so fucked and have caused them so many headaches that they might have sworn them off at this point.

Battletech proved an excellent game. Shadowrun series really made the studio I think. I think part of it though is that they want to branch into new things. But I really really want another Shadowrun game. Maybe in Denver this time. So many different times and places. So much you can do.

Also I think Battletech would be fun as shit with later stages too. Like a clan invasion where clan mechs have to follow the Zellbrigen to the letter would be interesting. Like they choose a target and that is it no matter what.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Battletech proved an excellent game. Shadowrun series really made the studio I think. I think part of it though is that they want to branch into new things. But I really really want another Shadowrun game. Maybe in Denver this time. So many different times and places. So much you can do.

Also I think Battletech would be fun as shit with later stages too. Like a clan invasion where clan mechs have to follow the Zellbrigen to the letter would be interesting. Like they choose a target and that is it no matter what.

I've always wanted to see what could be done heading into more rural jungles in Shadowrun, like the country surrounding Seattle, the Salish Shidhe Council (SSC) or Amazonia. The urban jungles get a lot of play already in Shadowrun, so its the road less traveled that I am really curious about.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

I think a Crimson Skies game would be baller too

• Options

That would be a shame.

But I would understand.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

After Dead Man's Switch, Dragonfall, and Hong Kong, I can understand that the studio felt like taking a break from Shadowrun for a while.

Battletech was that break. Let's hope they get back to Shadowrun. :P

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I don't care exactly what HBS does next, it'll probably be really good no matter what.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Crimson Skies? Not like, a flight game (that would be my preference but I suspect that's too much for their studio size to take on), but a tactical game where you command & manage a squadron, though?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I mean a turn-based plane combat RPG in actual three-dimensional space would be a legit galaxy brain idea to witness

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I mean a turn-based plane combat RPG in actual three-dimensional space would be a legit galaxy brain idea to witness

Sid Meier made something like that a few years back. It is definitely a sub genre that exists already.

Edit: Sid Meier's Ace Patrol.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options

Panzer Dragoon Saga?

wVEsyIc.png
This discussion has been closed.