As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[L5R LCG] Imperial cycle has releases faster than One Punch Man fight scenes.

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    So the full spoiler for the first pack is out and oh boy that Scorpion card...

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Maze of Illusion gives the Scorpion a second chance to manipulate their dial as needed. Dang.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Ebb and Flow preview up.

WE HAVE YORITOMO SIGN

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    And a confirmation of the Mantis Clan's theme -- Fate Generation.

Jeez. He's a heavy hitter, but... imagine just passing an entire turn and slamming into your opponent with 8+ fate available, and ways to make him available again.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Yeah, I'm definitely thinking of rolling him into town with Yurts, to generate all that fun bonus fate. Maybe some Gaijin Customs, too, to unbow and swing again since apparently a Unicorn stronghold counts as a Unicorn card being in play for it.

Charge also feels good with him.

persona4celestia.jpg
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm definitely thinking of rolling him into town with Yurts, to generate all that fun bonus fate. Maybe some Gaijin Customs, too, to unbow and swing again since apparently a Unicorn stronghold counts as a Unicorn card being in play for it.

Charge also feels good with him.

Choose to go first.
    Pass for fate.
    Play Wayfinder.
    Declared Military conflict.
    Charge in 9/9 Yoritomo.
    Attach Reprieve.
    Play Gaijin Customs to ready Yoritomo.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    persona4celestia.jpg
    I need to read cards better.

I've been using Talisman of the Sun to lure people to Endless plains. Turns out it doesn't work, as the reaction only fires when a conflict is declared there.

I only learned this thanks to the new holding we are getting.

...did they just make a Division reference there with Tainted Koku?

persona4celestia.jpg
    The Tempests and Tides fiction is pretty good. Yoritomo is super ambitious.

I am debating if I should make or recover a reddit login. They are discussing Altansarnai, and everyone is missing important stuff with her. Not that it makes her equal to the other champions, but the fact that she doesn't need to be ready to bank someone is definitely a plus if you do movement shenanigans.

But I still feel she got merged late, which is a shame.

Pack 5 preview article up for All and Nothing.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/7/3/all-and-nothing/

persona4celestia.jpg
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Oh my god I think these are literally the first Crane spoilers that I have been *SO* excited about. That DUEL. That 1 drop ain't bad at all.

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Yeah both those Crane cards are very good. Noble Sacrifice ACTIVATE. The Crab berserker is also pretty great I think.

At first I read the Crab Berserker and was like "eh, big deal, I can bring characters into a combat all the time without sacrificing anything!"

Then I remembered I play Unicorn and that's a defining characteristic of my clan, and said card was a dynasty card. And it dawned on me that other clans might not have the kind of post-declaration mobility I do. :D

New fiction up as well, “A Crane Takes Flight.”

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/7/3/a-crane-takes-flight/

persona4celestia.jpg
    persona4celestia.jpg
    And there's the full The Fires Within spoilers.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I own this core set and I really wanna try it, but I don’t think I know anyone hardcore enough to get into it

I’ve already exhausting my girlfriend enough asking her to play Netrunner

I guess I’ll play a game against myself to try and learn it? Would that even work?

6F32U1X.png
  • FettS1FettS1 Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I own this core set and I really wanna try it, but I don’t think I know anyone hardcore enough to get into it

I’ve already exhausting my girlfriend enough asking her to play Netrunner

I guess I’ll play a game against myself to try and learn it? Would that even work?

Sure- I do this and honestly enjoy it. It's a fun way to learn the game and just appreciate the art/card interactions in general. You just have to try to remain objective when playing both sides. Also - there's one step where you "gamble" a resource called honor against the opponent. That's a little harder to simulate - I've typically just either picked the same number for both sides (1 or 2) - or, pick one for yourself and roll a D6 for the other. If you roll a 6, just roll again (since 5 is the highest).

Diablo3: FettS1#1626
    PSN: FettS1
    FFXIV: Kashell Valeth
    edited July 2018
    New fiction day: Kurosunai Village

Also preview article is up for pack 6: Elements Unbound.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    I think I might just give up and play Scorpion.

Maaan, I got wrecked tonight. Dragon with crab splash, the best player in our local meta. Was able to get 2-3 fate on the Doomed Shugenja off me, by forcing me to break one of his provinces by putting an Ornate Fan on my character.

It.. just... damn. I am such a newbie.

• CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    Feast or Famine, the most busted of provinces!

Cerberus wrote: »
    Feast or Famine, the most busted of provinces!

Yeah. It suddenly makes me not want to put out more than 1 fate on a character, and yet at the same time, Unicorn does well keeping a built up board presence and some of our cards really should stick around. What's really annoying is that he pulled the fate from someone not participating in the conflict.

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Yeah, it's a stupid good province, because it's very poorly designed. Very surprised it didn't make it on the latest restricted list, but FFG seems to want to have powerful provinces in the game.

Imagine a world where there was a separate province restricted list with Feast or Famine, Secret Cache, Shameful Display, Kuroi Mori, and Restoration of Balance! I mean, aside from ruining the current Dragon lineup, it might force some different provinces to be played and probably be better for the game. A large reason why Scorpion and Dragon are doing so well right now is their province row.

tzeentchling on
    Yeah, it's a stupid good province, because it's very poorly designed. Very surprised it didn't make it on the latest restricted list.

It is restricted to seeker/keeper of fire.

Is there any clan where it wouldn't be bonkers good in? Because maybe it will self-balance when the roles change, though I somehow doubt it.

edited July 2018
    Ebb and Flow full spoilers.

EDIT: Oh, hey, there's the Phoenix sword. I wasn't expecting it until next cycle.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    Finally got to play some of this, and I really like it

I'm a little bugged by soooooo many dang tokens, though

Particularly the honor ones, I get why fate needs to be tokens because they move around the board onto the cards, but I couldn't help but feel like honor would be best tracked as a dial rather than just a pile of stuff

Fortunately, someone on Etsy agreed with me!

6F32U1X.png
    edited July 2018

New fiction day!

Also a OP update, talking about a upcoming change to the roles system.

In short, they're changing how often you have access to a role. The picks are staggered and are in effect for eight months. New roles are selected three times per year—at the Winter Court World Championship in November, after the first phase of Elemental Championships ends in March, and after the second phase of Elemental Championships ends in July. The new roles go into effect at the start of January, May, and September.

They also described two new event types.
    The game's Elemental Challenges will run mainly at conventions and similar events. They are scheduled to begin after Gen Con Indy 2018, and the undefeated players at each Elemental Challenge will each earn a prize bye for a future Elemental Championship.

The Elemental Championships are scheduled to begin in January of 2019 and play a role similar to that of the Regional Championships for our other games. We will offer two Elemental Championship phases per year: January through March, and May through July. Each retailer that meets the guidelines established in their territories will be able to host an Elemental Championship in one of those two phases. The winner of each Elemental Championship will earn a reserved seat at the following Winter Court World Championship.

So as I understand it, Challenges will go a fixed number of Swiss rounds, so they're easier to run at conventions... but are supposed to act as training grounds and feed into the Championships which will be run at stores. And winning a Challenge gets you a free bye at a Championship.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    Championships are essentially regionals.

But the biggest news out of this? All clans now get access to 2 roles at once!

I think I missed what “roles” are in my learning

6F32U1X.png
    It's a deckbuilding element. You get to choose one role when building your setup - Keeper or Seeker of Earth, Fire, Wind, Water, or Void (10 total). In year 1, everyone was locked to a single role all year long in organized play. Now, there's going to be 2 that overlap and rotate.

edited July 2018
    Well, technically there's 11 roles. It's just that the elemental ones that are subject to locking. The 11'th is a neutral one, Support of the Phoenix, that everyone can use and which doesn't have the Keeper, Seeker, or any elemental traits, but you get +8 influence when deckbuilding if you're spending all your influence on Phoenix cards.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    I'm thinking of switching my unicorn role to Support of the Phoenix.

Sure, it only nets me 5 influence, but that could be pretty ridiculous if played right. I am greatly enjoying running Shugenja in my unicorn, and with Shahai on our doorstep (spoiled today), some cool stuff will happen.

The main keeper cards I run are:

3x keeper initiate
    1x talisman of the sun
    1x tears of amaterasu (which is not doing much for me)
    2x Harmonize (which admittedly is super nice)

I rarely, if ever, win void on defense. So I'm like... the options to get a few more characters into my conflict sounds great. I am already starting to lean and think about a playstyle that favors playing few dynasty characters, but makes use of a heavy character roster in my conflict deck. It is going to be a bit slower, but it could be powerful.

Speaking of which, All and Nothing spoilers.

persona4celestia.jpg
    So apparently Phoenix was deliberately screwed out of SoV for the Winter Court second role by everyone else? Man, this role system was such a great idea. [/sarcasm]

HamHamJ wrote: »
    So apparently Phoenix was deliberately screwed out of SoV for the Winter Court second role by everyone else? Man, this role system was such a great idea. [/sarcasm]

Wait, what? There haven't been second roles yet...

Athenor wrote: »
    HamHamJ wrote: »

Wait, what? There haven't been second roles yet...

The current standings have been posted and Phoenix has 6th pick because apparently KoW is the second most desired role for some reason.

Oh, so you are saying that everyone voted they wanted keeper of water to keep it out of Phoenix hands?

I'm not going to lie, I'm having trouble parsing the structure, but I'm also skimming over things and I don't know if the pages have been updated to reflect the new roles structure.

Athenor wrote: »
    Oh, so you are saying that everyone voted they wanted keeper of water to keep it out of Phoenix hands?

I'm not going to lie, I'm having trouble parsing the structure, but I'm also skimming over things and I don't know if the pages have been updated to reflect the new roles structure.

Everyone voted Keeper of Water to make Phoenix pick second to last which means someone else will get to pick Seeker of Void before us. Who knows what kind of trash role we'll end up with.