As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - I Feel It Still

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2018 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - I Feel It Still

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• lionheartssjlionheartssj Bartertown Chief Merchant BartertownRegistered User regular
    Even though I know this would happen to me, I would still like to go there one day.

• moosemaimermoosemaimer Registered User regular
    I stopped going to cons because of this. If I have to skip something just to get in line for something else, it's too crowded.

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    This is almost as good as Whomp!-Just Sit Idly Die

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • MoganMogan Registered User regular
    I feel like Comic Con is a place I'd like to just kinda walk through. Look at some stuff, see some weird people, be glad I'm not in line for anything, and then read about all the important happening on the internet later.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Hot beef? Most guys at conventions smell like cheap Lynx deodorant.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    My understanding of the SDCC is that it is a like an amusement park except the rides only happen once a year, but if you ignore the big name rides which you'll probably miss unless you wait an absurd amount of time beforehand, you can go through all the small ones as much as you want.

Also the tickets are annoying to get.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • bsctgodbsctgod Registered User regular
    I never found the exhibit hall to be a labyrinth of people. More like a river current. You jump in, and it takes you around the exhibits.

• Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    That is some good comicing, right there.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Hot beef? Most guys at conventions smell like cheap Lynx deodorant.

So, shit then?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • MooseMuffinMooseMuffin Registered User regular
    /puts on flame suit

This is why I stopped going to PAX.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    A lot of the large geek/gamer cons have similar issues. Tickets are hard to get, the exhibition floor is very crowded, and you will probably get a cough/flu from being around all walks of life. I enjoyed my Pax's I'd been to, but its not my thing anymore

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    /puts on flame suit

This is why I stopped going to PAX.

i don't think this is a flameable comment. i've been to PAX Prime a few times, and it got more crowded each time. that said, i feel like they've tried to go a good job crafting specific experiences so that it has people going to different pockets of PAX and not getting packed in one single place. it's still insane to get into the popular events (Acq Inc. live is absolutely worth it). i'm not sure what you can do about that.

one of these days i will get to PAX East. supposedly it's better? (or PAX Aus...)

i lived in San Diego for a time and was lucky to be able to go to SDCC for free for quite a few years. that was a madhouse from the get go. PAX is nothing compared to SDCC. the big ticket stuff (Marvel/DC movie panels, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, other super popular panels) are always in Hall H, and people have died waiting in line for that stuff. some poor fan got run over waiting in the line for a Twilight panel. just sad.

with SDCC, there end up being a lot of fun free events outside the convention center, all around the Gaslamp District of San Diego downtown, right near the convention center and Petco Park. it was more fun wandering that stuff with friends than the actual convention itself, and you didn't have to pay for a pass. but yeah, unless San Diego does something soon, SDCC will almost likely go to Vegas.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • LieutenantDanLieutenantDan Registered User regular
    Shit made from digested hot beef

• SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    This is why the appeal of cons have always elluded me, or the appeal of the big ones anyway. They cost a fortune to attend and you spend most of your time in lines, it's like Kafas idea of a vacation resort.

• fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Sadgasm wrote: »
    This is why the appeal of cons have always elluded me, or the appeal of the big ones anyway. They cost a fortune to attend and you spend most of your time in lines, it's like Kafas idea of a vacation resort.

the most fun i had at PAXes was always wandering the indie game halls and seeing all the crazy neat ideas, or browsing the smaller hardware vendors that weren't mobbed all the time, or joining random group board/card/tabletop/whatever games with friends. no lines, no waiting, just fun.

fuck Cheesecake Factory though. oh god never again.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Big cons are fun for there crazy carnival mad house atmosphere, but I can only really do about one big con a year.

Mostly I prefer my sleepy little local board game conventions where I know like half of the attendants by name and the entire thing fits into one large hotel ballroom.

• KredKred Registered User regular
    I've only been to a few here on the east coast, mostly the Philly Comic-Con. It's tough to see everything you want to. And the sea of people, yeah, I'm not super into that either. I don't think I'd care to do the SDCC.

• ConundrumConundrum Registered User regular
    Yeah... I think all cons should start with a public health announcement showing of Gabriel Inglesious' skit about his son and deodorant. Take a shower, and wear deodorant people. It's not that hard.

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Having been to one less prominent Comic Con (Steel City in Pittsburgh), and mostly having enjoyed it, I still don't fully see the appeal of conventions, at least "in this day and age". Maybe it's my own social anxiety or the insular nature of our time, but I can't just strike up a conversation with a total stranger in a crowd no matter how many interests we may share. Having people take pictures of me and my wife in our extremely amateur costumes felt pretty good. But we didn't talk or anything after that.

I can definitely see the importance of cons a decade or two ago. Buying nerdy toys at an event was a lot more needed before you could just go online and buy one. I know conventions have specially made toys, but if we are honest, are they actually "better" than what you can find online, or is their value connected just to their scarcity? I say this as someone who plays with toys rather than collects them, with total respect for those who do collect (and I understand for those people, conventions are still very relevant).

As far as the meet and greet aspect, back before the internet and the mainstream-ness of geek culture, I could see it being really special to meet people who share your fringe interests. But now I'm much more likely to have an enjoyable conversation on a forum like this one than if I walk up to a total stranger who happens to have a Zelda shirt on.

Meeting celebrities is cool to me in theory, but I'd rather just "bump into" a small celebrity and chat than wait in a line to "meet" a big celebrity, hand over an exorbitant fee, and have them stare at me with soulless eyes while writing their name on a piece of paper. Maybe back when conventions were small and geek culture celebrities were otherwise obscure, that "bumping into" was possible, but not now.

If I get a chance to go to Steel City Con or any other Con again, I'll gladly take it. But I can totally relate to the crowd anxiety and the convention experience is only just barely worth it to me. But it is still worth it.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    I'm still a bit sad for not being able to go to PAX Unplugged the first year (and SHUX) because of my family situation. I know they'll only get bigger and bigger. That first year would have been just my kind of con.

• 0z700z70 Registered User regular
    High-functioning autistic here, Asperger's Syndrome specifically.. I might be able to do a convention if I were stoned or drunk enough. About the only large gathering I can handle stone sober is like, a 4th of July jazz concert. I prefer hard rock/heavy metal, but that crowd's too rowdy.. at least until I get about half a bottle of whiskey down.

That is unhealthy and unsustainable.. plus, it's like, a 3x multiplier for my chances of getting into a confrontation, which is actually worse than "massive anxiety attack and running from the premises."

Also, I mistyped when I registered my username. I'm 0z79, not 0z70. How do I fix this?

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    0z70 wrote: »
    High-functioning autistic here, Asperger's Syndrome specifically.. I might be able to do a convention if I were stoned or drunk enough. About the only large gathering I can handle stone sober is like, a 4th of July jazz concert. I prefer hard rock/heavy metal, but that crowd's too rowdy.. at least until I get about half a bottle of whiskey down.

That is unhealthy and unsustainable.. plus, it's like, a 3x multiplier for my chances of getting into a confrontation, which is actually worse than "massive anxiety attack and running from the premises."

Also, I mistyped when I registered my username. I'm 0z79, not 0z70. How do I fix this?

For the username, you generally don't. You can send a private message to Tube or one of the other admins, but in the past basically they've said it'd be a full time job dealing with name changes.