As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australia]. Stolen lands often referred to as a country.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Huh, this is the first I’ve even heard of it

Would there even be any particular reason to not opt out?

It alleges to be a centralised record of all your health data to assist with doctoring. Assuming that the system is functional enough to be useful to doctors.

• Options
    SorCSorC Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Huh, this is the first I’ve even heard of it

Would there even be any particular reason to not opt out?

It alleges to be a centralised record of all your health data to assist with doctoring. Assuming that the system is functional enough to be useful to doctors.

Right now, it's not super functional. The doctors in the clinics I work with, wouldn't use it, if there wasn't government incentive payments attached to it.

11776-1.png
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Greeeaaat, so if you already have a My Health Record, you can cancel it, but...
    What happens when you cancel a My Health Record?

When you cancel your record:
    • Healthcare providers will not be able to upload documents or access the record - even in an emergency.
    • You, or your representative can only see the record by making a request to us.
    • Once your record is cancelled, it will be kept for 30 years after your death or, if the date of death is unknown, for 130 years after the date of your birth.
    • It may be accessed by us for maintenance, audit and other purposes required or authorised by law.

Edit: More information on what happens if you cancel your record.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    Yea it's a terribly misleading name.. it's not my record at all, it's theirs.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    so what are the concerns with My Health Record that so many people are opting out? Is it just cynical (justified or not) lack of trust in the government? I don't really have any fundamental problems with the basic idea of the system?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Pretty much, and given their cyber security record I'd say it's justified, though it's also that the health record is admissable in court. The article I linked has some examples of how they've already lost control of some data.

• Options
    The admissible in court bit I wasn't aware of, that is pretty shady indeed.

• Options
    You effectively have no control over your private information, no say in its retention, no notification on how its used, and I have no faith in the systems protecting it.

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    Someone on twitter said they'd already been knocked back from subsidised housing due to mental health information on their record.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Like, it's great idea in concept.

But

Sheesh that's some scary 'what ifs'.

My family medical history is shocking on paper. Absolutely terrifying stuff. My company pays for half of my health insurance costs. If they could get acess to my family medical history and see just what a time bomb my physical health is...

I mean, yikes.

• Options
    Also this government will sell off your info as soon as they think you're not looking. From a health perspective it would help streamline a lot of things but we just don't have the security and privacy guarantees to safeguard the data.

• Options
    KincaidKincaid You're standing on my neck KuwaitRegistered User regular
    Someone on twitter said they'd already been knocked back from subsidised housing due to mental health information on their record.

What now? Yikes.
    Yes, let’s discourage at risk people from accessing mental health services.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    The dreaded time has come.

Optus tells me that I need to switch to the NBN now that my house can be connected because they're going to phase out the unfuckingbelievably awesome cable internet I've been using for a decade.

:(

• Options
    Hopefully NBN in your area is like NBN in my area, whereupon I pay for 50/20 and I get 50/20.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Cobalt60 wrote: »

Optus tells me that I need to switch to the NBN now that my house can be connected because they're going to phase out the unfuckingbelievably awesome cable internet I've been using for a decade.

Are you sure it's not being turned off in say..
    *Papers rustle*
    August 2019?

You may only need to transfer eventually, despite cautionary letters from your provider.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »

*Papers rustle*
    August 2019?

You may only need to transfer eventually, despite cautionary letters from your provider.

They never gave me a date. I'm sticking with cable until the last possible day.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    We're getting FTTN at the end of next year, apparently. Problem is, our internet is already back down to 8 mbps from the 12 it was last time we got Telstra out to fix the wiring because the wiring between our house and the little roadside connection thingy every neighbourhood has is turbopfucked and rotten and that's generally where they put the nodes, so I'm really not looking forwards to getting hooked up the the NBN and seeing zero performance increase, for more money.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »

*Papers rustle*
    August 2019?

They never gave me a date. I'm sticking with cable until the last possible day.

I received a date from NBN co

• Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular

What the actual fuck.... that's terrifying on so many levels. My mother's a GP and she's pretty much for the project, but I've voiced my doubts that she's shut down. This however makes my skin crawl more than most other things.

Yes I'm still here, hi all.

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Hey so purely hypothetical at this point but, now that we have a kid, and renting a 2 bedroom home in Vancouver costs basically 10 million dollars an hour, the wife and I have been talking about the possibility of moving back to Australia (maybe Brisbane for the free grandparent-based childcare or maybe Melbourne for the actually survivable climate)

anyway did you know that to apply for a spouse sponsored permanent resident visa in Australia costs SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS?

I thought the 12 hundredish my Canadian PR cost was highway robbery.

• Options
    that's a shitload

or a month's rent in Vancouver

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Yikes, when we did it it was only 3k

Though that was 7 years ago, so I guess a lot has changed since then

• Options
    xenophobio, ho!

• Options
    i mean to be fair

Canadians

• Options
    I said xenophobia not xenophillia

• Options
    I think I've seen that movie.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    xenophobio, ho!

DAMN QUEUE JUMPERS COME IN THE RIGHT WAY

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    #pipe wrote: »
    Hey so purely hypothetical at this point but, now that we have a kid, and renting a 2 bedroom home in Vancouver costs basically 10 million dollars an hour, the wife and I have been talking about the possibility of moving back to Australia (maybe Brisbane for the free grandparent-based childcare or maybe Melbourne for the actually survivable climate)

anyway did you know that to apply for a spouse sponsored permanent resident visa in Australia costs SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS?

I thought the 12 hundredish my Canadian PR cost was highway robbery.

Back when I did it (2012?), it was just over $3k I think! So that's gone up, probably since the 2013 election happened and the Department of Immigration and Citizenship became the Department of Border Protection.

Xenophobic bastards.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    As if the media situation in this country couldn't get any worse...

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm sad about Lee Lin Chin retiring too.

Oh, you meant 9 buying Fairfax?

Yeah that sucks too.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Koalas have course fur. What is even the point of them.

What else is gonna fill those romantic bush evenings with the screams and grunts of rutting hippos?

... I guess we could import some hippos

Always a good idea.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular

Well that's me fucked then.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Oh my word were the mini election results so delicious. Especially in Mayo where Downer's daughter expected to win because she's a Downer and thus deserves it... and she lost so bad.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Please encourage her to keep trying for Mayo so she can keep losing

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I feel like the plastic bag ban might have been a bit more successful if the supermarkets had actually tried to reduce the amount of plastic they use first. It's stupid that people can't just take a reusable bag with them, but I can understand people being annoyed at the hypocrisy

Flay on
  • Options
    While it would be nice to think Georgie got given the boot for being unqualified, out of touch, and a political liability who's only asset is being able to recite right-wing waffle, this is the place that kept her father in parliament for literally decades, and he's all that plus far more of a shithead. And it's not like the Xenophon team are bastions of progressivism.

Still, anything that keeps the Downers away from the shiny sparkly levers of power is a plus.

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    Flay wrote: »
    I feel like the plastic bag ban might have been a bit more successful if the supermarkets had actually tried to reduce the amount of plastic they use first. It's stupid that people can't just take a reusable bag with them, but I can understand people being annoyed at the hypocrisy

Wait what?

This discussion has been closed.