As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's Party Thyme in the [PLANTS] Thread!

NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade UsernameRegistered User regular
edited October 2019 in Social Entropy++
Do you think plants are pretty great? Would you like to learn more about indoor and outdoor plants, share your own, and talk about how great they are? This is the thread for you!
header_image_fustany-lifestyle-living-indoor_plants-main_image.png
05e58863819047db2b3fe8863885354b.jpg
ewqrerw-768x335.png

I've recently been on a huge plant kick...I moved into a really bright apartment in a really warm location, and decided try my hand at my own indoor jungle. I've been studying a lot about the types of plants I want and their ideal amounts of sun and water, and so far I've been able to keep 10 plants alive and happy!

Current plant friends:
English Ivy
ZZ Plant
Chinese Evergreen
Cat Palm
Baby Rubber Plant
Monstera Deliciosa
Rattlesnake Plant
Baby's Tears
Peace Lily
Golden Pothos

Save for the Cat Palm, all the above plants that I have are small or medium sized, but I'd love to work my way up to some giant things, like a Banana plant or Giant Bird of Paradise. I've told myself to wait on those for awhile though, I want to make sure my current plants are happy, and want to make sure I can keep them alive for awhile first. :P

NightDragon on

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Don't get a Cat Palm. Get a Dog Shrub.

ufjkrk9roku2.jpg

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I've killed 98% of all plants I've ever tried to grow.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I've got an important succulent question I'll have to post tomorrow, but I wanna throw my balcony from last year up:

And two years ago:

All started from humble beginnings, three years ago:

But I actually started those from seeds:

Eventually I want a house with a yard for some for real gardening, but so far in texas on my little balcony I've successfully grown:

Curcuma (Grows super well)
    Basil
    Thai Basil
    Sage (grows super well!)
    Lavender
    rosemary
    Blueberries
    Some random flowing plants like snap dragons and hibiscus
    A variety of succulents

Of those, the succulents, rosemary, and curcuma do wonderfully. We dont get enough sunlight for balcony tomato plants, which is too bad. The Basil also doesn't do so hot towards the end of the summer when it gets truly hot.

I only have pothos and zizi plants inside, At the moment. Not a ton of light gets past the balcony.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I need to spruce up my apartment with some greenery! (See what I did there.) I've been talking about this for months but then I was out of town for like the entirety of June.

Singapore is, surprising no one, super-tropical, and I have both an outdoor planter-balcony off of my bedroom and a beautiful floor-to-ceiling bay window in the living room. Even the guest room has space. I just don't know what to get. The plants in that first trio of photos? What are those even?

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Peace Lily?

Is it a Japanese peace lily?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I should get one of those

I'd have to put it by a cuddly monkey though

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    it's the middle of winter here. our frangipani only just lost the last of its leaves, so there hasn't been much point maintaining the yard too assiduously, but i'll definitely give the lawns a mow soon. the bougainvillea hasn't bounced back since my last big trim but it'll kick off soon.

clockwise to centre: table succulents, kale or broccoli sprouts, construction site chilli plant, succulent recovery bay, nasturtium harvesting zone, small child, bougainvillea

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    What’s the soil preference on that small child plant?

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I need to spruce up my apartment with some greenery! (See what I did there.) I've been talking about this for months but then I was out of town for like the entirety of June.

Singapore is, surprising no one, super-tropical, and I have both an outdoor planter-balcony off of my bedroom and a beautiful floor-to-ceiling bay window in the living room. Even the guest room has space. I just don't know what to get. The plants in that first trio of photos? What are those even?

Depends on how much sun your balcony gets, and how much your indoors gets. Some plants can handle (and prefer) full, direct sunlight...others prefer bright but indirect light, others prefer something shadier. The plants in the first trio of photos that I can identify seem to be a Monstera Deliciosa (1st and 2nd photos), Rhapis Palm (1st photo), a Giant White Bird of Paradise (3rd photo) and a small Elephant's Ear (3rd photo). AFAIK, Monsteras do well in bright indirect light, Rhapis can do well in low/medium indirect light, and the Bird of Paradise prefers very bright light, possibly direct. I don't know if you have any pets that enjoy munching on leaves, but if so, plant toxicity might be something you want to pay attention to, as well.

A well-draining Doritos mix.

NightDragon on
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I want to add plantlife to my house, but it's very dark. We have only a few windows, and the only window that faces south to get the most Sun in the afternoon is in the master bedroom where I sleep.
    What are good plants that will basically not get any direct sunlight, nor much any indirect?

I want to add plantlife to my house, but it's very dark. We have only a few windows, and the only window that faces south to get the most Sun in the afternoon is in the master bedroom where I sleep.
    What are good plants that will basically not get any direct sunlight, nor much any indirect?

English Ivy, Peace Lily, and Snake Plant (also called Mother-in-Law's Tongue) are great options for lower light areas, and are all considered to be pretty easy and low-maintenance indoor plants. The Peace Lily may not bloom in darker areas, but the foliage is still pretty!

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Anthuriums will do well and come in some gorgeous colours, I like the coral pink and lime green combination.

• EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    If you get indirect sunlight orchids are pretty easy to get to thrive. Get a spray bottle instead of a watering can and so long as you remember to spray them once a week and they drain well they're golden. Well some are. Others are white or red or...

edit: my peaches and pineapples are rebounding nicely now that I have an apartment with consistent sun exposure until about 1130a.

vg1euncilo9a.jpg

Einzel on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I've grown rosemary and sage

and killed a thousand others

poo, apparently.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
    Oh and a good picture of my orchid from last year as proof that any idiot can do it. I'd take one now but it's shedding flowers.

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Any advice for a house with a cat that loves to eat plants? Something hearty, and that won't kill the damn cat? We'll say medium sun to shade, most places in the house. I keep killing outdoor plants because georgia weather is stupid and goes from monsoons while i'm at work that drown them to scorching them out even if I leave them under the porch for a day.

The cat's general pattern is to eat whatever flowers I bring home, to test them, puke, and then leave that batch alone. So I'm hoping a real plant has some chance here.

QuantumTurk on
    Any advice for a house with a cat that loves to eat plants? Something hearty, and that won't kill the damn cat? We'll say medium sun to shade, most places in the house. I keep killing outdoor plants because georgia weather is stupid and goes from monsoons while i'm at work that drown them to scorching them out even if I leave them under the porch for a day.

The cat's general pattern is to eat whatever flowers I bring home, to test them, puke, and then leave that batch alone. So I'm hoping a real plant has some chance here.

The ASPCA has a great list of plants non-toxic to cats (and dogs, and horses, for those interested).

A few good med/low-light options that are easier to care for (and non-toxic to cats):

- Prayer Plant / Zebra Plant
    - Bird's Nest Fern (1, 2)
    - Rhapis Palm / Lady Palm (virtually all palms are non-toxic, but this is one that also tolerates lower light)
    - (see OP for picture link) Rattlesnake Plant
    - (see OP for picture link) American Rubber Plant / Baby Rubber Plant / Peperomia obtusifolia (a LOT of peperomias seem to be both non-toxic and low light tolerant, so maybe look into some of those. A warning for this particular plant, be sure you're not picking up a standard Rubber Plant, as those ARE toxic).
    - Christmas Cactus / Easter Cactus
    - Cast Iron Plant (Super hardy - hence the name! Also enjoys the shade)

This is not a full list, but it's what I was able to find quickly and off the top of my head due to my own research for pet-friendly plants. :) Bromeliads are also good, but you might have to hunt for one that prefers lower light. Also be sure that your "medium sun" is indirect light, not direct - most indoor plants seem happiest without direct sun.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Christmas cactus is a really fun alien-looking plant that thrives on neglect. And it's really easy to root cuttings, so it's kind of a housewarming gift generator as well.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • pookapooka Registered User regular
    ASPCA has a list to check, but they can be a bit too generous in defining 'non-toxic' as 'non-fatal' -- for example, baby's breath can cause vomiting and diarrhea. this list of 25 non-toxic plants looks good; just have to be careful as some names are very similar between toxic and nontoxic plants.

African Violets are surprisingly durable as long as you don't drown or burn them, many true palms are safe and tend to be easy, bromeliads, some orchids, some succulents (ex. Christmas/Thanksgiving cacti, Haworthia), true cacti (though physical damage possible.) quick googling reminds me of true ferns like Boston or staghorn, true bamboo (not lucky or heavenly bamboo), peperomia varieties, Plectranthus verticillatus (Swedish ivy -- most other 'ivies' are toxic), prayer plant... all seem to be widely considered safe.

right now, all i have is a phalaenopsis orchid from ikea. i haven't fed it, so i haven't had it bloom, but it has sprouted a couple of leaves over the past couple years. ...Einzel is making me look bad with all those blooms.

my current herd of cats is a little too interested in greenery, too. i've seen them chew on a plastic mini rosebush, fergawdsakes.
    I've killed several small parlor palms that i hung in the (windowless) bathroom to keep them safe from the cats and regulate the humidity in there because they were out of sight...

lfchwLd.jpg
    Pooka have you repotted? Mine didn't start thriving until I gave it a large glazed ceramic planter with a fresh batch of orchid potting mix. It has since overgrown the planter, its roots snaking out of the drain holes around the base.

It's also got twice as many flowers now - that spike decided to T off into another full one. But I come from an insane orchid house (my dad) so it's a competition thing to see who gets more flowers on one plant.

• CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    Plants - specifically massive, woody tree plants - is my biz.

On my desk currently are some Caledonian Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris Scotica) seedlings, a non-Caledonian Scots sapling, some English Ivy grown from a cutting and the office mystery plant, which seems to be growing at roughly 1cm per year. My next goal is to collect some cones from a nearby stand of fairly rare Serbian Spruce (Picea omorika), which can grow into a slender, slightly draped form.

Spoilered for size;
    135586544-56a98c925f9b58b7d0fca03f.jpg

edited July 2018
    ok plant thread, this is it

after two weeks of wrangling kids on my winter hols, i finally get a day to myself to tackle the backyard

how far will i get? my guess is somewhere between a half-hearted lap with the push-mower, and getting down in the dirt to pull up grass-shoots

but the first weed, which is everywhere: all this fucking duplo

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Is it bad or tacky to have a bonsai tree delivered to someone?

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Seems a bit small.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Is it bad or tacky to have a bonsai tree delivered to someone?

The only way I could see this being construed as "bad" would be if the person isn't ready for that type of plant commitment. Or maybe they're not interested in that kinda look for their place.

edited October 2021

NightDragon on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    ND are you a plant hoarder

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I was thinking about getting a planter for the deck / Grow some herbs!

VayBJ4e.png
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod

Aloe is a very hardy plant that, as far as I know, is non-toxic to cats. I've got three huge aloe plants (started as two, but one got so big I split it after it pulled itself off the table when a huge portion grew so wide it imbalanced the entire pot).

8406wWN.png
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    This weekend I am planting some cilantro and oregano because I really love both of those herbs fresh, but I've never grown anything in my life before. Anyone have any recommendations that the dude at Lowe's wouldn't know to increase my chance of success?

coriander (cilantro) is a pain in the arse to grow. it goes to seed really quick and then dies off. don't wait for it to establish: eat it while you can!

oregano's a lot easier. the plants are hardy, they need less water, and can bounce back from the brink of death once they have roots in. my plants haven't been prolific though, so you might want to have a few planted around the place.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Interesting. My parents both tell me cilantro grows really easy, so I figured it would be a good 'starter' plant. Glad to hear that about oregano, though.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Of all the herbs I've tried growing, coriander is the one that just died over and over until I gave up on it. I always assumed it was down to our climate though.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
    Look at ND over here with her matching, attractive planters and her clean apartment.

Also, I'm just pretending that ZZ Plant is actually a nickname after ZZ Top. You should get it a fake beard. Unless it's a drummer.

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    A picture from my garden

uo3zajnfq7z7.jpg

The blue flowers are American bellflower (Campanulastrum americanum) aka tall bellflower, because under ideal conditions it can get over 2 meters tall.

q2f5v69uk1oj.jpg

My wildflower garden and the surrounding areas I'm tending seem to be ideal conditions. Bees appreciate it.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Sansevieria futura is pretty much immortal. They're even somewhat impact-resilient. Left some in a moving-box for a couple of months, they don't care.

Today's Sarah Andersen is very thread appropriate

• pookapooka Registered User regular
    Aloe is a very hardy plant that, as far as I know, is non-toxic to cats. I've got three huge aloe plants (started as two, but one got so big I split it after it pulled itself off the table when a huge portion grew so wide it imbalanced the entire pot).
    as long as the plant isn't being chewed, the clear green gel inside of aloe is supposed to be fine. but there's a latex sap layer surrounding it that has toxic compounds.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I kinda want to get a cactus to keep near my living room window.

One of them cute little bulby ones.

Tallahasseeriel on