As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] Not an ending, but a mending

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Doctor Who has lost a lot of cultural traction since the Matt Smith days, so good for you Chris for trying to come in with a bang. Shaking up the formula with the casting and set design doesn't help much if you're just going to go back to the same handful of writers RTD and Moffat liked to work with. Putting aside of course that Chibnall himself was one of those writers...

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    This was the intro to Jodie's walk-on at ComiCon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abJHUWaNHvo

I know it's basically just a bit of fluff but:

- First good listen to the new composer.
    - First up-close look at the new TARDIS exterior.

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Whittaker’s personal style is p tops.

• Options
    Official recording of the whole SDCC panel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGpi2Jmbr4M

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    @Veldrin Update: looks like some Australian retailers (like Popcultcha or Minotaur) will stock the higher quality Seven20 sonic at the end of October. Given it’s USD 30, I’m guessing it’d be AUD 45-50?

• Options
    A fan-restored version of one of the surviving clips from "The Smugglers".

• Options
    The last bit of the three-part interview with Steven Moffat. It was supposed to have been uploaded months ago but apparently it went missing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=styqnGNTffM

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Losing footage is an important Doctor Who tradition I'll have you know

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Losing footage is an important Doctor Who tradition I'll have you know

As is recovering it in highly improbable circumstances!

Butler on
  • Options
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    That’s the first I’ve read to an absence of Daleks. Is that just them alluding to lack of them in the marketing or like is there something I missed there?

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Gustav wrote: »
    That’s the first I’ve read to an absence of Daleks. Is that just them alluding to lack of them in the marketing or like is there something I missed there?

They've announced there'll be no old monsters this season. It's intended to be a jumping-on point for new viewers.

• Options
    I am very ok with that.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    While I'm 100% in favour of diverse casting when it comes to the role of the Doctor, would anyone have really minded if, back in the day, they'd just cast four consecutive McGann brothers?

Dkd5EUTW4AAsRHE.jpg

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    edited August 2018
  • Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    Working on my 13th Doctor cosplay for PAXaus 2018. Yes the suspenders should be yellow. I'll find some fabric dye soon.
    gJISiXR.jpg

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    Looks good! What are you doing for the coat?

• Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    Nothing. I'm hoping its going to be warm enough down there in late Oct to just do the t-shirt, but knowing my luck and Melbourne weather I'll be drenched and cold. Oh well. Definitely going to be wearing a singlet underneath just because the top is slightly more sheer than I would like, but we'll see.

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    Gustav wrote: »

They've announced there'll be no old monsters this season. It's intended to be a jumping-on point for new viewers.

I'm...kinda annoyed by this statement. the old monsters being introduced to new viewers is perfectly viable. You don't even have to have continuity...because its a TIME TRAVELING SHOW.

to promise no new monsters at all means no interesting interactions with the 'new' doctor and his old enemies for the first time.

At the very least I would like to see Madam Vastra show up. (Not an enemy of course but 'monster' maybe).

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    I'll be honest, you could remove the Daleks from the show entirely save maybe an anniversary special or something and you wouldn't hear a chirp out of me. They've been fairly exhausted narratively speaking for a good long while by my figuring.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I was not limiting my comment to the Daleks, which i kinda agree, i could do without a season of them... but first encounter meetings with new companions and Doctors are usually good moments.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Nothing to say there won't be "old" monsters next year, once the characters are a bit more firmly established and you can play with their reactions more.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Daleks are rarely written well. Consistently, they are hyped up as the most lethal killing machines in the universe, and then gimped the second that that promise becomes inconvenient for the narrative.

A Dalek is equipped with weapons systems 1000 times more sophisticated than all the computers of the world combined... but we need the Doctor to get away, so they'll all fail to hit him when he's running in a straight line down a corridor. They're master tacticians that have conquered a billion worlds... but we need the audience to know what's going on, so they'll constantly announce their plans to people who still have the ability to stop them. They are consumed with hatred of all other life forms to the point of almost total insanity... but we can't let the Doctor's companions get hurt, so instead of killing them the Daleks will take them captive for some poorly-defined reason.

I want to see the Daleks again when someone who knows what they're doing has a damn good story to tell with them, and not a moment sooner.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    Daleks are rarely written well. Consistently, they are hyped up as the most lethal killing machines in the universe, and then gimped the second that that promise becomes inconvenient for the narrative.

A Dalek is equipped with weapons systems 1000 times more sophisticated than all the computers of the world combined... but we need the Doctor to get away, so they'll all fail to hit him when he's running in a straight line down a corridor. They're master tacticians that have conquered a billion worlds... but we need the audience to know what's going on, so they'll constantly announce their plans to people who still have the ability to stop them. They are consumed with hatred of all other life forms to the point of almost total insanity... but we can't let the Doctor's companions get hurt, so instead of killing them the Daleks will take them captive for some poorly-defined reason.

I want to see the Daleks again when someone who knows what they're doing has a damn good story to tell with them, and not a moment sooner.

I'm relieved we'll be getting new stuff, honestly. It'd be great if they raised the bar on how one defines a "good Dalek (or Cyberman) story," somewhat, as we have seen some real clunkers throughout new Who.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    The 9th Doctor's run ins with the Daleks are my favorites. They make the Daleks threatening in a way I like.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I think it comes down to the way the actor plays it - Nine was fucking terrified of them, while Ten had a plan already and was confident. I liked Eleven's first run in with em, where he gets physically violent, and Twelve being disgusted by a "good" Dalek. But I dunno, after their first encounters each Doctor just settles into a pretty mellow attitude about em.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    And the first episode is called "The Woman Who Fell to Earth".

• Options
    <Very Austin Walker Voice Huh>

A bold move, I guess it'll shore up the Strictly results show audience is the hope? Still, a better Sunday evening than Countryfile usually is.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    People are

not loving the music choice.

Personally I feel silly forming an opinion of 15 seconds of content. It's better than nothing though.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    It's definitely not a song I'm a fan of, but hopefully it's only for that one ad

• Options
    BBC has been using a lot of music along those lines for the idents/trailers recently, so it's a channel thing, not a programme thing.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Breaking a glass ceiling hmmmm? :tell_me_more:

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Aren't the only episodes of new Who with pop music Love and Monsters and Vincent and the Doctor? I'm sure they're not going to start using it in episodes now.

Coinage on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Breaking a glass ceiling hmmmm? :tell_me_more:

So the Doctor will be a vandal. I bet the sonic will shoot spray paint out now!