As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Manticores and Manicures: a Well Groomed Table Top Thread.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    Have gun will travel wasn't a very good show, but that theme song.

His bit about his gun preventing lynchings was interesting. Just a long shot of the guy's belt/gun/crotch and a monologue.

• Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    i am trying to thing of a good name ofr like, a gun using guy class. like, ranger, but for guns.

some kind, of, gunger.

When I reskinned classes into superhero sendups for my Planarch Heroes one-shot, I called the Green Arrow/Jonah Hex tricked shotsman The Slinger, but I was a bit hopped up on Bastion at the time.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Glazius wrote: »
    i am trying to thing of a good name ofr like, a gun using guy class. like, ranger, but for guns.

some kind, of, gunger.

When I reskinned classes into superhero sendups for my Planarch Heroes one-shot, I called the Green Arrow/Jonah Hex tricked shotsman The Slinger, but I was a bit hopped up on Bastion at the time.

i went with recon, because the woodland slash sneaking stuff is just as important as gun manning.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Among my backup/switchout characters for the 5e survival campaign (because the idea is we can switch to other characters back at our colony/base to do missions and quests) is Ürda Steinformen, a Dwarf Rogue who is associated with a sort of mafia like organization in the Dwarf city she was born in, nominally a stonemason, she is actually a fence for the stolen goods of the thieves guild and other crooks in the city, who hides her goods behind her masterful stonework

There's also a Bugbear Monk named Orgut "Firefur" Barruk who instead of being part of a traditional monk "monastery" was a member of one of a number of orders devoted to the fighting arts located in the underdark, these "Underground fighting clubs" take in members from many races and background above and below ground, teaching them fighting styles that focus on hand to hand combat, particularly revolving around fisticuffs. Regarded as neutral ground these warrior orders, who often have independent fortresses but will have branches in a number of cities of many races, will send their best fighters to cities and their arenas to compete and act as gladiators, entering into many of the same competitions other Gladiators do, but most particularly competing with the the fighters of other orders in a show of athleticism, skill, brutal power and fighting spirit.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    careers i got so far
    Mage: Alchemy, Arcana, Cool, Discipline, Knowledge (Adventuring), Knowledge (Forbidden), Knowledge (Lore), and Perception.
    Cleric: Athletics, Charm, Discipline, Divine, Knowledge (Lore), Leadership, Melee (Light), and Resilience.
    Druid: Alchemy, Brawl, Discipline, Knowledge (Lore), Medicine, Melee (Heavy), Primal, and Survival.
    Ranger: Knowledge (Adventuring), Knowledge (Geography), Perception, Ranged (archaic), Stealth, Survival, Melee (light) and Vigilance.
    Recon: Knowledge (geography), Discipline, Perception, Ranged (modern), Stealth, Survival, Vigilance, Melee (light)
    Bard: Knowledge (lore), Charm, Verse, Deception, Leadership, Cool, Negotiations, Vigilance
    Paladin: Athletics, Charm, Discipline, Divine, Knowledge (Lore), Leadership,ranged(modern), and Resilience.
    Fight Master: Brawl, Melee (light), Melee (heavy), Ranged (archaic), Ranged (modern), Discipline, Athletics, Resilience
    Rogue: Charm, Cool, Coordination, Deception, Ranged (Archaic), Skulduggery, Stealth, and Streetwise.

I am actually pretty happy bard ended up with no career skills that can do damage. not that they can't take up a weapon or nothing, but i like the idea of the focus on other things have left them experts at support, not the best at offence.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I ran a 5e game for a bunch of friends that wanted to try D&D for the first time. It went super well and since their kids are all babbies we played til 2 AM. I tossed in a unique item at the end of the boss fight called a Sousing Ring. It lets the person wearing it know where the closest alcoholic beverage is at all times. Since they loved the game I'm going to work out a way to make that thing critical in a later session.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Good way to find a speakeasy, I guess?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Or any dwarfs in the area.

• Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Or any dwarfs in the area.

Does it count for beverages that have already been consumed? If not, dwarves may actually throw a spanner in the works.

• Options
    Oh and one favorite exchange from our druid

"I cover myself with leaves to camouflage myself."

"You're inside a building."

"BUILDINGS CAN HAVE LEAVES INSIDE."

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Oh and one favorite exchange from our druid

"I cover myself with leaves to camouflage myself."

"You're inside a building."

"BUILDINGS CAN HAVE LEAVES INSIDE."

Office building? ornamental shrubs?

• Options
    Jail cell in a quaint town.

• Options
    "oi, where'd that shrub come from?"
    "Iunno, better get it out of here"

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    a single large coconut leaf

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    General pile of filth some inmate left behind

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »

hey that's my druid friend you're talking about!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    What I have worked out so far

got some orcs in, some human subtypes, added a couple more careers. remembered to add machine pistol. once the map is done i might have something to show off.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I really want to play a character that is a failed wizard and can only cast mage hand

So he just uses mage hand to lift weapons and hit people

Basically just fufilling my fantasy of having a character that uses floating weapons while mechanically just being a warrior

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Go the Dog character route and Okami it up

Wait shit a friend of mine is trying to set up an Exalted game I should totally bring back the Red Cross dog

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    i actually support a kickstarter for dog adventurer models the other day.

it was a good idea.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular

I played in a game where the Druid was a gnome who had lived in a city his whole life so his primary shapechanges were like rats, pidgeons and foxes.

A literal trash Druid.

• Options
    Norgoth wrote: »

I played in a game where the Druid was a gnome who had lived in a city his whole life so his primary shapechanges were like rats, pidgeons and foxes.

A literal trash Druid.

No variety of canine is trash. How dare you.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

A literal trash Druid.

Bulldogs don't deserve the pained existence thrust upon them.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    So something that's been bugging me, having read the Yuan-Ti entry to Volo's Guide to Monsters, is that I don't think they actually mean that Yuan-Ti are emotionless? They describe them in the beginning as emotionless, but what I think they mean is that Yuan-Ti generally lack empathy? They will focus sometimes on the fact that they don't feel fear and that their superiority is the same that a human fight see themselves as superior to a chicken or ant, but then also describe them feeling it is beneath themselves to speak to their lessers. They talk about how their slaves need to learn the Yuan-Ti's mood, and also that Yuan-Ti see themselves as superior to other races (even describing Purebloods as feeling contempt towards the other humanoids. If they treat the lesser Yuan-Ti with respect to keep from feeding rebellion, that implies that Yuan-Ti can get frustrated and feel anger. As well, and spoilers for Tomb of Annihilation:
    Ras Nsi and his bodyguard are shown to have romantic and possessive feelings towards specific members of Ras Nsi's harem. If Ras Nsi finds out his bodyguard is sleeping with one of his concubines, he will brutally execute him. The Yuan-Ti also use hallucinogenic drugs to whip themselves into a religious frenzy. Another Yuan-Ti is shown as narcissistic.

It feels better to me to describe the average Yuan-Ti as lacking empathy, unable to feel a connection to other beings and their suffering, which causes their brutal society. Or maybe its just contradictory language in the writings about them in 5th edition. Or, in flavor, lacking a better word to describe the alien nature of Yuan-Ti, so we compare their behavior to words that best match.

• Options
    snake cults man, what are you going to do?

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

A literal trash Druid.

Bulldogs don't deserve the pained existence thrust upon them.

Breeders are trash, yes.

• Options
    Snakepeople racism, or snakepeople cultural identity of eschewing emotions but still totally have them

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Snakepeople racism, or snacism

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Blake T wrote: »
    I know this is a huge chance of just, no, no one is going to do it.

But I have a hankering to play a second dnd game. But I kinda like the idea of trying to play online. Since the majority of you are on the internet and due to the difficulty of timezones, if you guys play at nights that means mornings for me, are there any groups that play Friday or Saturday nights that would be keen for an extra player/ is anyone starting a group?

I've been interested in playing an online game, and could probably find a way to make Friday evenings work a couple times a month.

To push this a bit further since there doesn't seem to be any games going, does anyone else want to kibble together a group?

I'd be thinking a standard every second week set up but in terms of times, if we started my time at 830am (Though we could start a little later, but not much if we were doing a 2-3 hour session) the PST time would be 530 pm and east coast is 830 pm.

If no one wants to GM I'd be happy to but, I've never run a 5e session before and because of that I'd only prefer to run curse of strhad or storm king's thunder, only because I've almost finished storm king's as a player and I'm watching the DNA play through of strhad.

Blake T on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    I’m mid campaign in curse of strahd right now, so that probly wouldn’t work swell

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Went to the library today to do some research for this Mage: the Ascension game. Could have done it all online faster and easier, but I've learned over more than 20 years of sequential Order of Hermes characters that handling physical books and writing notes on paper are important step for putting myself in the right Mage head-space.

I also had a bunch of good ideas for my d20 Final Fantasy thing, which is a project I wish I could convince myself to give up on, because I keep biting off little nibbles of the workload while studiously avoiding what a goddamn nightmare it's going to be to build the Summoner class.

Anyway, I figured out how the Green Mage (Geomancer) class will work, and some cool synergies for multiclassing it with the four Stance-based classes (Monk, Dancer, Berserker, and Mimic). And I also sorted out the basic Terrestrial Element Spell Trees for Red Mage, White Mage, and Black Mage use, although it's going to take a bit of fiddling to be happy with the MP costs.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Went to the library today to do some research for this Mage: the Ascension game. Could have done it all online faster and easier, but I've learned over more than 20 years of sequential Order of Hermes characters that handling physical books and writing notes on paper are important step for putting myself in the right Mage head-space.

I also had a bunch of good ideas for my d20 Final Fantasy thing, which is a project I wish I could convince myself to give up on, because I keep biting off little nibbles of the workload while studiously avoiding what a goddamn nightmare it's going to be to build the Summoner class.

Anyway, I figured out how the Green Mage (Geomancer) class will work, and some cool synergies for multiclassing it with the four Stance-based classes (Monk, Dancer, Berserker, and Mimic). And I also sorted out the basic Terrestrial Element Spell Trees for Red Mage, White Mage, and Black Mage use, although it's going to take a bit of fiddling to be happy with the MP costs.

could just do what ff1 did and have spell levels and spell slots. wouldn't that be wild.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Today

Infinity

You know what are good? Hecklers. Hecklers are legit. L33t Hax.

32186774_1808069995920566_8790876307685638144_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=9deccf35f56366bbf55b7400ae576dd0&oe=5C13AA80

In ur base, telling u ur jokes are shit

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Painting mine though, and his feet are weirdly stumpy. Suppose he lives in space? Maybe makes your feet stumpy?

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

some kind, of, gunger.

@Melding a Ballistician

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Painting mine though, and his feet are weirdly stumpy. Suppose he lives in space? Maybe makes your feet stumpy?

explains all the depictions of aliens with hooves.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular

But I have a hankering to play a second dnd game. But I kinda like the idea of trying to play online. Since the majority of you are on the internet and due to the difficulty of timezones, if you guys play at nights that means mornings for me, are there any groups that play Friday or Saturday nights that would be keen for an extra player/ is anyone starting a group?

I've been interested in playing an online game, and could probably find a way to make Friday evenings work a couple times a month.

To push this a bit further since there doesn't seem to be any games going, does anyone else want to kibble together a group?

I'd be thinking a standard every second week set up but in terms of times, if we started my time at 830am (Though we could start a little later, but not much if we were doing a 2-3 hour session) the PST time would be 530 pm and east coast is 830 pm.

If no one wants to GM I'd be happy to but, I've never run a 5e session before and because of that I'd only prefer to run curse of strhad or storm king's thunder, only because I've almost finished storm king's as a player and I'm watching the DNA play through of strhad.

Hmm, I'd be interested but 830 EST is when I get out of work right now, and that's going to be move back to 1130 EST in September, which is a shame

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular

I'd be up for this. I'm on Australian Eastern time, so weekends at those times works pretty well.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular

could just do what ff1 did and have spell levels and spell slots. wouldn't that be wild.

I considered sticking with Spell Slots, but the more I tried to twist them to fit here, the more I realized I didn't actually like them in regular D&D to start with, so why inflict more of that on myself. Also the fact that they were a part of the very first game, and then there have been 14 direct sequels and countless spin-offs without them, means Spell Slots don't fit the style I'm aiming for at all.

Part of how I'm encouraging Multiclassing is by having all class abilities draw on MP. So for example a Fighter's core ability is Provoke, a 0MP short range aggro control tool that applies a -2 attack penalty to a foe if they choose to attack anyone but that fighter. But then the fighter can learn upgrades to provoke at higher levels that will let them do things like apply it as an AoE to multiple targets, increase its range, increase the severity of the debuff, or attach it as a condition to successful weapon attacks, all of which increase the MP cost of the action. So a Fighter who wants to take a dip into White Mage is still gaining the same trait that's key to all his fighter stuff, meaning that the two classes still feel like they are contributing to one whole character, rather than two distinct characters clumsily stapled together. Most of the non-Mage classes are built around some core 0MP skill that they modify, and then a handful of other MP Skills that are basically spells in all but name, such as the fighter's party-buffing Warcry line.

Having everyone's class abilities run on MP also means everyone's linked to the same Rest economy. One of my complaints about 5E is how Short and Long Rests are incentivised so differently for different classes, which seems like it could be a cool class design feature, but mostly winds up being a source of frustration if you've got somebody who desperately needs those Short Rests teamed with a bunch of people built for the long haul (a.k.a. why I kind of want to shelf my Warlock and go back to my Barbarian in Rainfall's game.)

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    You could attempt a system like Dungeon World, where a choice exists for forgetting a spell for the day. You can blast a lesser version all day long, but if you choose to forget the spell for the day it has bonus effects/damage.

VRXwDW7.png
This discussion has been closed.