As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EUIV] Reducing the Reduced reduction in cost of reducing war exhaustion for some NI's

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    AI Austria passed three reforms in this Avaria game which opens tantalizing possibilities

But unfortunately I don't think I can get to the Zoroastrian province in time, at least not without fighting overwhelming amounts of enemies

It's two provinces away but those alliance networks

Got the Zoro province, here's what I would like to do (I'm currently Shia):

- use Dhimmi rebels to convert to Animist
    - take the decision to become Catholic, add land, revoke
    - accept Animist rebels' demands
    - take the decision to become Zoroastrian, Enforce Religion on HRE vassals
    - presto, Zoroastrian HRE

Stuff which could happen though:
    - Ottomans deciding they want me dead
    - Ottoman-Russia-Ming hugbox with France in the mix

• CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Hey so I started a new game as Hamburg and it's going pretty well. I'm definitely the strongest in Northern Germany and I have a decently strong set of allies (expansionistic Cologne, Munster, and vassalized Brandenburg). The Reformation just started (in Fyn, Denmark) and as I haven't played either A)In Europe or B)Ironman in a while, I was hoping for some general advice. I fully intend to go Protestant, and as such I'd like for the Reformation to be as strong as possible. So a few questions:

Just making sure, but when/if Denmark converts, they won't get a 2nd Center of Reformation in their capital, correct?

Fyn is very close to me, do you think it makes sense for me to hold off on converting so that we don't have 2 CoRs right next to each other? Part of me thinks it might not matter that much. So far only 2 provinces outside Danish territory have converted (in Bohemia, oddly, which has expanded a bit into Poland since the Poles went with a local noble). A CoR in Bohemia would be great news and would make me feel a lot more confident about converting.

Alliance-wise I'm not super worried. I seem to recall converting breaking all alliances, but all the other powerful German states want to be my friend anyway, and Denmark is currently going through a Civil War (would love to strike but force-vassalizing Brandenburg was ALMOST more AE than I could handle). I'm mostly concerned with how this might impact my vassal. Converting won't break our relationship will it? Should I be worried about Brandenburg converting before I'M ready?

Edit: Welllllp a Refored CoR popped up in my territory so I guess we're not going Protestant like I originally thought. Still, uh, for future reference I guess?

CesareB on
    The first three nation to convert through the "Convert" mechanic get a CoR. I unfortunately do not know the weights by which a CoR targets provinces, but I think region has something to do with it. A CoR in Hamburg would be in North Germany and a CoR in Denmark in Scandinavia.

The relationship malus from having different religions hurts when you have a lot of other modifiers like AE or "Declared War", it can be really difficult to get to 190 in some cases. But if you intend to keep them around for long enough that the other modifiers decay, it won't be too big of a problem.

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    If you're playing as hamburg then there shouldn't be an issue with you getting a center of reformation in your lands, it's in a generally good spot to convert lots of nations. Places where it'd be relatively less useful in spreading protestantism are in Scandinavia, the British Isles, Poland/Lithuania, etc. France, anywhere in Germany, and Northern italy are the most useful places, and yeah preferably you'd want them spread apart and not in OPMs where the centers can easily be destroyed. As a player though, the more important thing if you want to spread protestantism faster is to force secondary members of your offensive wars to convert to protestant. The biggest diplomatic change that the reformation causes is a split of AE among protestant and catholic (and also reformed) nations. Countries that aren't of the religion of the target of a war goal get less AE when you conquer land from them.

Gundi on
    m7LSmSH.jpg

YxsC7s2.jpg

Ottomans at 80 Trust so they won't backstab me, in position to form the Mughals and blob out of control (1550)

But I kinda want to start over again which is

well

• PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    Any thoughts on the Imperium Universalis mod?

• MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Prisca wrote: »
    Any thoughts on the Imperium Universalis mod?

I had a TON of fun with it. It only scores "okay" marks for stability though. It also seemed to exacerbate some of my issues with my AMD FX(tm)-9590 and Windows 10 (occasional system lockups, requires messing with power setting I don't know enough to, so I deal with it), so the system lockups made me move away from it (though, again, I think that's a "me" issue, not the mod).

Basically what I'm saying is, it's a ton of fun, especially being able to hop in anywhere from Wei to Carthage across a huge range of time, but it's pretty processor heavy.

Massena on
    Can anyone help me troubleshoot something? I was going to start back up an Ironman save but the game is telling me that it won't be eligible for achievements anymore because I'm running a mod or have otherwise modified EU IV. I tried starting a new ironman game but it gives the same result. I do have a few mods installed but none of them are active. I'm on the 1.25.1.0 England (39a3) version and have all DLC. Is there some way to know WHAT mod or changes the game is seeing?

I might've caught something about 1.25 -> 1.25.1 breaking Ironman but I'm not sure

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Here I am as the Commonwealth, keeping an eye on my heirless ally France as their queen is old. She gets an heir. Boo-urns, but thens the breaks.

Then over two years I get PUs over Cologne and Verden for free. I wasn't even married. Oh well. Back to watching Ming's mandate tick down before I go to town.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    It took Rushing exploration to discover and ally France as a deterrant, sniping Egypt from them, conquering and colonising all the way down to cape, fighting Spain to kick them out of the Indian Ocean, Conquering the Ceylon Trade node, colonising all of Indonesia and Australia and calling MegaFrance and not-so-mega-Russia into a war declared during my golden age with Defender of the Faith and 100 absolutism and 80 Professionalism, but I defeated the Ottomans as Ethiopia and got Prester John.

Seriously, you either fight the Ottomans before 1460 or you leave them alone until the Age of Revolution. There is no inbetween.

First, kind of funny that I'm posting immediately after the last poster as I'm in the middle of a Hungary game where I started picking fights with the Ottomans in the 1560s (admittedly during my Golden Age). I'm now into the 1700s and beating on them pretty regularly.

Anyway: question. Is there something wrong with the UI for declaring wars on tributaries? I've recently released Georgia as a vassal since I'm just about reaching the point where I'm happy with my borders but I'd like some avenue for expansion. I'd like to attack Circassia as they have some Georgian cores. They're a tributary of Russia and allied to a small Mazandaran (Fars having recently formed Persia). But when I go to declare war on them, it says that they are allied to Ottomans and Korea (I think these are Russia's allies). Who will actually get called in? Can the master of a tributary call THEIR allies? I'm gonna hit the button at some point regardless I just wanna know what I'm getting in to.

edited June 2018
    Are you sure they're not vassals of Russia and allied with another Russian vassal Mazandaran?

The allies of a tributary overlord shouldn't get called into the war. The only nations which can have tributaries are hordes and those in the Eastern religious group (unmodded game, of course).

Platy on
    I'll have to check when I get home but I'm pretty sure it (as well as a tiny Nogai) was a tributary of Russia.

Russia can't have tributaries so they couldn't be.

edited June 2018
    Gundi wrote: »

Well I checked and they do so maybe a bug?

CesareB on
    My only explanation would be that they were Great Horde tributaries and Russia full-annexed the Great Horde, taking over its tributaries. I didn't know you could gain tributaries as a nation which normally can't have them if that's the case, I would've assumed the tributaries break free.

That it shows Korea and the Ottomans as being called in is very weird, normally it should just say "they are a subject to Russia which will protect them". And the tributary overlord should not be a co-belligerent.

CesareB wrote: »
    Gundi wrote: »

Well I checked and they do so maybe a bug?
    Platy wrote: »
    My only explanation would be that they were Great Horde tributaries and Russia full-annexed the Great Horde, taking over its tributaries. I didn't know you could gain tributaries as a nation which normally can't have them if that's the case, I would've assumed the tributaries break free.

That it shows Korea and the Ottomans as being called in is very weird, normally it should just say "they are a subject to Russia which will protect them". And the tributary overlord should not be a co-belligerent.
    Okay I looked this up and this is apparently a known bug(?) about how countries that aren't supposed to be able to have tributaries gaining them through full annexing nations that have tributaries. Who knew? (I didn't.)

As for the second part of this puzzle perhaps because the nation is not supposed to be able to have tributaries, something in the game's code is treating them as regular vassals even though they aren't. Either way this part definitely seems like a bug and I doubt there's any way around it without console commands.

Huh. Interesting. I'll have to let you guys know what happens when I eventually attack them. It's taking me a while to turn back east as I've been distracted by my ally PLC starting wars into the HRE. It's actually been really convenient for me since PLC is defender of the Protestant faith and the Empire is all Protestant except for Ulm.

So when I finally got around to declaring war on Circassia, Russia didn't even join in, let alone the Ottomans and Korea. I think they weren't even called. So now Circassia is part of Georgia. I'm into the 1750s now. Gonna take a look through the achievements to see what I wanna do as this playthrough winds down. Other than eliminate the Ottomans, of course.

Also: is there a good way to ensure my vassal gets territory in a war if I'm not the warleader? Like I've had great luck in getting the land I personally want by labeling it as provinces of interest, but will my allies respect those labels if I transfer the occupation to my vassal? Or should I just keep occupying it myself and give it to them after the war?

I would give it to them after the war unless they have cores on it. Your AI ally will also give provinces to your vassals if they have claims, cores or vital interest, but I don't know the exact logic behind it.

I would be concerned that vassals go by the AI logic for what they want and might not accept the peace deal unless they get certain land connections ("Wallachia doesn't want parts of the offer"). The way the AI sees the map is really screwy (see: distant war penalties or provinces/regions which act as army magnets).

edited June 2018
    6o58U4o.jpg

Continuing my Avaria campaign, ten years into the Age of Absolutism and in the midst of Court and Country

Conquering India on VH was quite expensive and it was over 2k dev

I'm considering becoming Yuan since I wanna flip to Animism anyway but I really should know better by now

Platy on
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    pvm336cgfzj2.jpg

Siberian Frontier is hilariously broken in the new world, especially paired with Higher Developed Colonies

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Boo Hawkeyes. Go Cyclones. Go Gophers.

Oh boy more anti-blobbing mechanics

"Conquer with more forethought", yet you will still have to kill entire religious groups at once because of how AE and coalitions work

edited August 2018
    Apparently the Corruption change is so that players keep vassals around for longer, but the reason players don't keep them around is because vassal play was nerfed into the ground

It's also capped for the AI so AI Spain doesn't end up with 100 Corruption

The problem is really that the Root Out Corruption slider maxes out at -1 yearly Corruption, so anyone who goes wide is going to build up massive Corruption over time

Can't believe they're going to do this after the mess that was 1.16 and the original Corruption implementation

Platy on
    Quick The Buddhists Strike Back achievement

aaKducZ.jpg
    OFbWAs0.jpg

I'm now playing as the Aztecs on Very Hard (since Marco Antonio and Atwix are also grinding their teeth on this particular campaign) and I'm really torn between going Catholic and playing the PU game in Europe or staying Nahuatl and taking over Asia. Just sure I wanna leave the Americas!

• AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    After 400 hours in-game since 2013, I just finished my first complete game! Not a world conquest, or anything super-impressive to a veteran, but it's the first game I've played since learning about the release vassal - feed - diplo annex cycle, and the first time I've understood cycling war targets to avoid coalitions, so it's by far the best I've ever done.

I was going for the Mare Nostrum achievement, but I didn't read the bit that said '...as the Roman Empire', thought it was just about controlling the Mediterranean. Oops. So when I figured that out, I decided my goal was a) control the Mediterranean anyway, b) Parisian Pasha, c) Laughingstock, d) Dar al-Islam, e) Sultan of Rum. Managed to get them all, and a bunch more on the way, including Over a Thousand and Fanatic Collectivist in 1820.

r09yalja4wrp.jpg

Most of India, plus Liege and the Palatinate, are my vassals. Russia is so messy because I took all their cheapest provinces so I could get the Over a Thousand achievement. Ming was a loyal ally, and the world's #2 great power. Unfortunately, Britain, Spain, Scandinavia, France, and Portugal were powers 3-7, and all allied against me, so every war to take a piece of Europe was painful.

Forgot about the We Bled For This achievement, and peaced out of my biggest war at 967k-962k dead. Could have easily gone another month. Oh well.

I faced a coalition of Mamluks, Persia, and a good chunk of Europe quite early, and was feeling really good that I lost 73k troops but killed 178k... then I checked the warscore page and saw I had 30k troops left, they had 300k. Had to give up about 2 provinces to get out of that war, but I was happy with my effort.

It was a lot of fun, some really tense wars, some really tense almost-wars where I tried to break a coalition apart or collect more allies before anyone attacked me. Plus I just enjoyed spreading Islam throughout Europe, vassalising the Pope, and converting Rome.

Next up will probably be a coloniser game with either Castile or England.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Man, I love crusader kings but this is a bit dense.

Is there a newb island equivalent in this game?

Yes, it's generally best to start as one of the larger countries in Europe

For example Portugal, Castile or the Ottomans. England is also good if you're ready to give up a bit of land the beginning.

• Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    I'm not sure how easy Castile is at the beginning of the game. It's very easy to be drawn into a ruinous war against Aragon/France/Burgundy

Ottomans are definitely the closest the game has to an 'easy' mode. They're a military juggernaut and unlike most other nations, don't need to wholly rely on allies. France is in a somewhat similar position, but it neighbours the Holy Roman Empire, which has some extra mechanics that will complicate a first game.

Portugal is in one of the safest positions - it's cushioned from the rest of Europe by a friendly Castile. The Portuguese game should teach you the ins and outs of colonisation and trade.

My first game was as England. The game starts towards the end of the Hundred Years War between England and France. Near the start of the game an event triggers that usually results in fresh hostilities. If you cede your land in France you have a much simpler game as your navy can protect Great Britain from invasion. Then you can practice warfare against the Scots and the Irish and then subsequently a colonisation and trading game.

Thanks, I guess I will try england or the ottomans.

My first game I went with Teutonic Order because I though they would be interesing... That was not the right choice.

Castile has very front-loaded military traditions and ideas, there's a chance you might get into unfavorable wars but learning to avoid and deal with that is part of the game.

Portugal doesn't have a single military idea and while I still think they're a great pick for beginners, the AI has returned to being somewhat competent at naval invasions, so there are now situations where they can get stomped too.

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    In my experience Portugal is not a newb start if Castille starts with both France and Aragon rival to it, but not rival to each other. If that happens, both will gang up on Castille in a joint war and fuck them over, with you incapable of doing much more than watch in horror as they destroy the nation that was keeping all those North African nations from ganging up to take *you* out willy-nilly. Castille getting f'ed over by just France is possible before/if they don't get the Iberian Wedding, but usually Castille is too strong to be seen as a target... so long as it doesn't get it's teeth kicked in by North Africa, but that is something that you *can* help with.

Also, don't let yourself get dragged into the Hundred Years war, no good ever comes from that.

I'd probably put France as the 4th easiest start after Portugal. Sure, Burgandy loves to jump on you during the Hundred Years war finale, and the threat of Austria/HRE is always looming, but you have so much goddamn manpower that you can simply outlast pretty much anyone and everyone in Western Europe if necessary, and once the Big Blue Blob starts growing, it's hard to stop it.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Ottomans definitely can be easy. Lots of weak neighbours, good military and navy, if you play it easy then nothing should be a problem. Ally France and avoid fighting Austria and Spain too much.

If you set yourself silly goals like conquer Moscow, Paris, Rome and Cordoba then it can get challenging.

Decided I'd play a tall Japan game in order to get the "Made in Japan" and "Sakoku Law" achievements

I did not take any land outside of Japan for myself, only built up colonies - I don't even fully control my home trade node nor do I control the whole of the Americas

And this is pre-furnaces

k4mVIom.jpg

In short, tall not only beats wide in military power, but also in income, by a wide margin

So this is probably a silly question, but what is the best way to get rid of the extraneous french provinces as England? I chose the surrender in the first hyw event, but it only gave the french maine, and they don’t seem really to care that much about trying to war me for the rest.

• Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    You can either sell the provinces to France (on the diplomacy interface it's under the Economy actions tab), I imagine you might be able to sell the provinces to another nation if you wanted to cause trouble. Alternatively, you can hang onto them for the time being and just give them up in tribute if France decides to attack you.

I'd recommend hanging onto Calais as it gives you a bit of a trade boost in the English channel.