As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] this is now the old thread!

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    I think what I mostly want out of this game is not multi-player, though that could be cool as well. Mostly, what I want is a more lonely experience, where every planet I "discover" isn't already populated with other aliens, their structures, and hundreds of crashed ships. That shit should all be rare, and finding a space station or planet-side base should be something cool, not "Oh yeah there's the station for this area. Hooray."

That's one big reason I've not gotten excited for any of the new stuff Hello Games has been announcing, cool as those things do sound.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    28 changes coming to No Man's Sky with NEXT

You can play as an alien!

Eat shit, boring human race.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
    Might be time to jump back in. Oddly enough I bought both the PS4 and PC version of this back in the day.

Can't hurt to check it out!

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I think what I mostly want out of this game is not multi-player, though that could be cool as well. Mostly, what I want is a more lonely experience, where every planet I "discover" isn't already populated with other aliens, their structures, and hundreds of crashed ships. That shit should all be rare, and finding a space station or planet-side base should be something cool, not "Oh yeah there's the station for this area. Hooray."

That's one big reason I've not gotten excited for any of the new stuff Hello Games has been announcing, cool as those things do sound.

Dude, the best time I had with the game was when the portal update hit and I went through one into a strange cyber looking planet with hexagonal plants and landscape. I had no vehicle or ship so I had to walk to the nearest point of interest. 5 hours. Loved every second of it.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Full multiplayer is finally coming to No Man’s Sky, and the first thing you’ll notice is that the once-lonely galaxy is a lot sillier when playing with friends. Who would have thought walling someone into a cave with a terrain manipulator and laughing at their misfortune was the tweak this game needed?

Sounds great....

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Next looks great, but multiplayer isn’t really what I was missing. I wish they had instead worked on the flora and fauna so they aren’t just visually more varied, but give me a reason to care about them.

Make certain plants edible. Maybe eating a plant enhances your running speed, or jumping height. That’s all very basic; what if certain bushes acted like trampolines, or a particular tree leaned in the direction of stimulus? Not every plant needs to be like that, but having a wide variety of possible effects and giving even one plant a distinct characteristic like that transforms the game from “yep, this is another planet” to “this is the planet with berries that make you gradually and temporarily shrink to a tiny size”.

And I would like to see fauna interact more realistically. Some animals look neat, but they don’t fucking do anything, and every planet has some tiny tweak on the spidercrab that comes after you and deals annoyance damage. Make predators hunt the grazers! Hell, let them stalk the player instead of stupidly running at them and nomming at their ankles!

The nature of this game is that everybody is going to have a preference for what they want prioritized. I’m not complaining that they’re expanding on the game, they seem to be doing great work. The core appeal to the game, for me, though, was always “explore, and find amazing things nobody else has”. So far I’ve found differently-colored planets with relatively similar flora and fauna, none of which do anything particularly exceptional. I hope that changes at some point.

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    The last time I played was after some of the big base-building updates. I still kinda hated the UI -- I couldn't really tell you how to fix it, just it's somehow intensely annoying to do everything, even with the new quick menu. :(

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    The interview mentions things like specific changes to how fauna behave--birds flocking, etc--so hopefully that will be a focus of NEXT

I haven't played this game since launch, though, so I'm considering hopping back in even now

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Full multiplayer is finally coming to No Man’s Sky, and the first thing you’ll notice is that the once-lonely galaxy is a lot sillier when playing with friends. Who would have thought walling someone into a cave with a terrain manipulator and laughing at their misfortune was the tweak this game needed?

Sounds great....
    According to the waypoint interview, you can opt out of PVP and by extension, I assume network play in general.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I played some more with RayRod's overhaul last night, and definitely started to find some of the really wacky stuff. The first shot is on a planet that was 400 degrees and drained my heat shield in about 8 seconds, aaand I landed next to this guy:

98CA266FAD7FB9D4208110764EAA9AB4166EA9E3

For scale, my ship is sitting to the left of him. The next batch are all on the same planet, that was fortunately not ridiculously hot like the last one. I really liked how much the color varied from purple glowey night to various shades of yellow and orange in the day:

3ACB4791D47929863C8A131FA1537C00BD496395
    73D8B6558560A004C586DDC27C4BC4081B5CA5AE
    0947B8170D89EB7301F8D8F94C2BCA081201FF21

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    This Eurogamer article has a lot of really great info; the guy has played a ton of vanilla, and noticed some changes that sound like a lot of things that were really high on the lists of a lot of people:
    • The game looks noticeably better. "massively improved lighting, better atmospheric effects, increased draw distances, new cloud rendering system, improved textures, better water"
    • Much better sense of scale in terrain generation. Towering mountains, deep canyons, huge trees (yes!), more random architectural props.
    • Improved fauna! "More nuanced animations, improved AI, and a broader range of sounds"
    • Freighters given renewed emphasis, with one granted for free in the opening segments of the game as opposed to costing $Texas
    • Major building overhaul with an emphasis on individual pieces as opposed to rooms, and pieces blend in with the terrain more
    • Live community events that let you earn a special currency for various cosmetic upgrades (Hello Games emphasized no microtransactions)
    • New galaxy map that makes it easier to see what parts of the galaxy have been explored, and where player activity is concentrated

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    There was a load of details, some big some small, that didn't work out, were dead ends and we showed them off when we shouldn't have. I wish we hadn't done that! But they didn't impact, for me, that core vision. It kills me that people are like 'now it's the game it was supposed to me'. I get what they mean when they say that. You look at the game - even now when I'm looking at multiplayer, with base building, frigates, you must feel this. You think of other ideas. You don't have farming creatures, but it's so obvious and you're like 'that'd be cool!' You can look at it and go those things would be cool. I'm not - just to be super clear - I'm not saying we're going to do those things! We never talk about features beforehand.
    I'd totally be up for going all in on space farming, domestication and cattle.

• Options
    Another bit on turning off multiplayer from a PC Gamer article of NEXT impressions:
    The ability to experience the world alongside other people is turned on by default. Players can switch it off if they want to be truly alone, but the way Murray explains it, having it enabled won’t suddenly lead to those strange agglomerations of player characters you see in MMO questing hotspots.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Haven't played in a while, but does it sound like the best bet for NEXT is to start a new game, or just continue with an old save file?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Haven't played in a while, but does it sound like the best bet for NEXT is to start a new game, or just continue with an old save file?
    But just to be okay...[pause] I will say my sales-y thing, which is like "It is a good time to reboot No Man's Sky if you haven't played [in a while]."
    This time around, we've thought a bit more about the person who has never played the game before or just wants to start a fresh save. They can't even remember two years ago when they picked it up at launch. And we're like "Cool, you'll have a, hopefully, much nicer experience, and you'll get to see some of these things earlier."

• Options
    They've said the intro missions are being switched up again, and there's no word yet on how to pick up that thread on an old save. It sounds like you'll get a free rover and definitely a free freighter which is worth a lot, but I'm guessing there will be some way to start that thread on an old save.

It seems like a good intro to all of the post launch stuff if you're not super far in on your old save, but you'll definitely be able to get the new planet gen and all that on an old save from how prior versions have worked.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »

Dude, the best time I had with the game was when the portal update hit and I went through one into a strange cyber looking planet with hexagonal plants and landscape. I had no vehicle or ship so I had to walk to the nearest point of interest. 5 hours. Loved every second of it.

That's basically my point: The best time you had was when you weren't stumbling across already-occupied structures, but were lost in the wilderness. I want that except on a more galactic level, where there might be SOME alien life out there, SOME space stations and lonely outposts, but not frickin' everywhere the way it is now.

• Options
    Yeah I was agreeing with you. :lol:

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    All this might be enough to get me into playing again just to try it out. Still wish space combat was a little more straight forward. It always felt weird just getting into random fights to no real purpose. Also, pulling up inventory to refresh shields, which I hope they've changed.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Man, I'm getting hyped for this update!

Planets are apparently littered with buried treasure now. You can track em down with the scanner, and then use the terrain manipulator to dig to it.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    The online interactive map is up. It's pretty fancy!

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    My only worry for multiplayer is people destroying my base or shooting me, because they can.

I still shudder with horror thinking back to The Division’s Dark Zone.

I don’t mind multiplayer, I do mind PvP and griefing and getting your hard work destroyed.

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    My only worry for multiplayer is people destroying my base or shooting me, because they can.

I still shudder with horror thinking back to The Division’s Dark Zone.

I don’t mind multiplayer, I do mind PvP and griefing and getting your hard work destroyed.

One of the news stories said people can't edit your base if you're not online

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Since Sean Murray said that anyone in your multiplayer group can edit your base, I'm pretty sure that random players won't have the ability to show up and fuck with your base.

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Ah, so it’s only members in your party that can modify, not strangers. Good :biggrin:

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Since Sean Murray said that anyone in your multiplayer group can edit your base, I'm pretty sure that random players won't have the ability to show up and fuck with your base.

Yeah, so if you never group or only group with people you trust then your base will be fine (if anyone ever finds your base, because the chances of stumbling upon a random base are preeeeeeeetty slim)

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    The online interactive map is up. It's pretty fancy!

This map is exciting to me.

How many other games would merely advertise the setting their game takes place in with a presentation like this, selling players on the idea of these places, but not the actual ability to experience them in true scale?

I hope they continue to update and develop this site alongside the game. No Man's Sky's potential is only just beginning to be realized. I'm not saying it should become EVE Online or anything, but it is boldly nudging somewhere within the overlap of an EVE/Minecraft venn diagram. I don't know how long they can keep this up but I want to see how they go about it.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    My game looks like this on a Radeon HD7950, with the latest drivers (and looked like this since release on PC)

jfgpyzdr5a5t.jpg

kuzwfyce8xi4.jpg

Nothing I found online helped me. It seems like an AMD glitch that the devs said they wouldn't fix because they can't reproduce.

Is there anything I can do?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    No Man's Acid.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I dunno what you've tried, but a few common (tho slightly old) suggestions seem to be:

- roll back to older drivers
    - reinstalling drivers and using AMD's cleanup tool
    - setting textures to lower settings

Here are the threads I got that from, they've got some more details:
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/2/135511027321656088
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/1/1471967615880407931/?ctp=2

• Options
    I was occasionally getting the same thing as your first screenshot when I was playing on my 980 Ti (Nvidia). Definitely acid-trippey ghosting of everything, but it happened pretty rarely and went away when I moved around and I didn't wind up looking into it too much.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    I dunno what you've tried, but a few common (tho slightly old) suggestions seem to be:

- roll back to older drivers
    - reinstalling drivers and using AMD's cleanup tool
    - setting textures to lower settings

Here are the threads I got that from, they've got some more details:
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/2/135511027321656088
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/1/1471967615880407931/?ctp=2

Dang none of the non-roll-back-drivers solutions worked. Downloading 17.2 now. Sigh.

Thanks a LOT for the links, btw, I hope the driver roll back works.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Oh. My. God. THIS LOOKS SO GOOD!
    https://youtu.be/zb9iStbW_T8

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Holy fuck, rolling back to 17.2 worked
    i just hope keeping a 18 month old driver is not gonna be a problem for other games.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Man, with the multiplayer update coming out i thought "i'll buy two copies of this for me and the gf to co op!" look at the price on steam..it hasn't dropped since its launch 2 years ago..at all..ok then nevermind

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    Man, with the multiplayer update coming out i thought "i'll buy two copies of this for me and the gf to co op!" look at the price on steam..it hasn't dropped since its launch 2 years ago..at all..ok then nevermind
    You can get a physical PS4 copy pretty cheap. New ones going for twenty bucks at gamestop.

• Options

I wouldn't be shocked at all if it goes on sale when the update drops. It has alongside some other major updates.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Finally bought this. I've been meaning to, with the improvements made over the years, but the upcoming update pushed me over.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Hot damn, that sneak peek. I cannot wait to jump back into the game! I think everything's going to be a lot more positive for the re-launch of No Man's Sky :^:

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I still have a very weird bug with the scan shaders for underground places and big mineable things, but blegh. Not gonna roll back to drivers from 2016 to fix this:
    jqs79mxmj7n1.jpg

u2y0k5twqdgk.jpg

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png