As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny 2] Forsaken: Tossin' Nades and Mournin' Caydes

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    holy shit
    from a cutscene in Cairo Station in Halo 2 (Anniversary Edition footage but it's the same)
    https://youtu.be/lKPvdkj-fpk?t=7m11s

"Another whisper, sir, near Io."

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    So dicking around on the Leviathan a bit, Whisper of the Worm does 50% more precision damage than DARCI/IKELOS_SR with their perks active, but fires about half as quickly.

That means in total, it deals about 75% as much DPS over a given chunk of time. HOWEVER. If you don't have a Luna rift, it never has to reload (theoretically) and probably makes some time up that way. More significantly, it carries 20 rounds to the 23 of DARCI and 18 of IKELOS_SR, so if you're limited by how much ammo you can carry (e.g. Calus), it deals far more total damage.

If the Masterwork does actually give it Box Breathing, it will be far and away the single best sniper rifle in the game, and probably the highest DPS weapon period.

Just to be clear for folks at home, the reload perk for Whisper is OG super broken "Rounds from Thin Air" White Nail version. Any place where you'd empty out your reserves but can still do damage that thing is going to blow away the competition for sustain.

Not really sure that applies to the raid bosses because I certainly haven't been using snipers in there.

Snipers are amazing against Calus and Argos, not very good against Ca'our.

Do you routinely burn through all your heavy when using one against them? They have time limited burn phases so I'm just not sure if you could go through 23 DARCI rounds on the plates or when the shield is down.

I am not terribly comfortable with them so I typically use other options when doing those fights. Well the first two, still haven't gotten Ca'our down.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    So dicking around on the Leviathan a bit, Whisper of the Worm does 50% more precision damage than DARCI/IKELOS_SR with their perks active, but fires about half as quickly.

That means in total, it deals about 75% as much DPS over a given chunk of time. HOWEVER. If you don't have a Luna rift, it never has to reload (theoretically) and probably makes some time up that way. More significantly, it carries 20 rounds to the 23 of DARCI and 18 of IKELOS_SR, so if you're limited by how much ammo you can carry (e.g. Calus), it deals far more total damage.

If the Masterwork does actually give it Box Breathing, it will be far and away the single best sniper rifle in the game, and probably the highest DPS weapon period.

Just to be clear for folks at home, the reload perk for Whisper is OG super broken "Rounds from Thin Air" White Nail version. Any place where you'd empty out your reserves but can still do damage that thing is going to blow away the competition for sustain.

Not really sure that applies to the raid bosses because I certainly haven't been using snipers in there.

Snipers are amazing against Calus and Argos, not very good against Ca'our.

Do you routinely burn through all your heavy when using one against them? They have time limited burn phases so I'm just not sure if you could go through 23 DARCI rounds on the plates or when the shield is down.

I am not terribly comfortable with them so I typically use other options when doing those fights. Well the first two, still haven't gotten Ca'our down.

Against Calus yeah, especially on Prestige it's pretty common to use all 4 plates and run out of DARCI ammo by the end of plate 2. Argos, yeah, the burn phase is short enough that you basically have just enough time to use all of your DARCI ammo.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    'Update 3: Oh dear lord. Apparently once you get the Whisper, Bungie will sell you a bundle with an ornament and transmat effect in the Eververse store. Whyyyyy Bungie, you were doing so welllll'

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Like 20 ranks in DO last faction rally without ever getting a helmet to drop. I grind some tokens, buy a helmet, and what do I get on my next rank up?

And then the next two rank-ups after that?

God dammit.

Also, it's really silly that heroic strikes don't count for the "do 2 strikes" bounty but I'm pretty sure I remember that being the case for the "do some strikes" bounty in D1 as well so I guess at least it's consistently stupid.

That flying titan Whisper video is ridiculous. I've never played a Titan. I wasn't aware they could just straight-up fly.

I really wish to do this Whisper thing but am still too low light. I really need to do get in on some raiding... It seems like half of my powerful rewards every week are the same PL as the item I'm already wearing in their slot. Like I got a helmet today for the strikes milestone that was exactly the same level as the helmet I had on. I thought powerful rewards were always supposed to be an upgrade?

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Upgrade to your overall light level, but if you get the reward for the best slot you have and not the worst, well...

Get fuuuuuucked RNGesus!

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Upgrade to your overall light level, but if you get the reward for the best slot you have and not the worst, well...

Get fuuuuuucked RNGesus!

Ah, yeah, that makes sense. I guess still I haven't adjusted my expectations to the new level gain rate. I was okay with the idea of a slower curve but the degree to which the new curve rewards raiding versus any other activity is just nuts.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    'Update 3: Oh dear lord. Apparently once you get the Whisper, Bungie will sell you a bundle with an ornament and transmat effect in the Eververse store. Whyyyyy Bungie, you were doing so welllll'

Bungie has NEVER been doing well on the micro transaction exploitation road. The thing they introduced in season 3 was nice, so they took it away over a month early before season 4.

• Options
    Was tooling around and got into the whisper thing, I had the event happen more or less twice in a row and didn't really see where you were supposed to go to kill slappy to open the portal. Jumping puzzle looks pretty funny.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Was tooling around and got into the whisper thing, I had the event happen more or less twice in a row and didn't really see where you were supposed to go to kill slappy to open the portal. Jumping puzzle looks pretty funny.

Some educated guessing here. There are three bad guys who can spawn, they're all dudes named in D1. They spawn at one of the three blight locations in side a nearby cave/nook thing but I suspect that only one spawns each PE. I've seen the ones that flanks the spawn in location on the left and right but not in the one in the center. You get the portal to form by killing that yellow bar. They spawn in right when the event starts, not when the blight near them opens. For maximum coverage you should split your fireteam to the three places to ensure one of you is there to kill them. They're on the edge of solo-able in a reasonable time frame but I don't think you really need to hurry as that bit isn't really timed.

I did my good deed for the day earlier when I was just tooling around doing the flashpoint on my Warlock by covering the other locations for the half dozen folks who were clearly trying to do the Whisper thing. (Also why I know they're just barely solo-able.)

Edit: Descriptions of locations would be in the roots of that tree near the right hand blight location and then on the left up near the Ikorra meditation focus thingy.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    I didn't put in much effort, I was solo and only 363 because I barely play anymore. I'd want to go back with a hunter probably and triple jump.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Took forever for a Blight event to spawn this evening after some Baboon errors disrupted one attempt, but we eventually got in and knocked out the quest + catalyst in confident fashion. The music for the whole sequence is really great (reminds me a great deal of disasterpiece's work on Fez) and the gun itself has very satisfying sound design.

Poor Drevis got absolutely annihilated during the Heroic portion courtesy of three hungry guardians chaining headshots.

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Nothing like getting Ddosed when you have a 5 win streak in Competitive.
    And seeing that the dude who did it already has over 2100 glory and has a repeat history of opponent's getting DNF results.

HMM WHAT COULD THAT MEAN

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Just got my Whisper in a two man run, and I was only 375 8-)

• Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    This reminded me of how much I hated major/boss taken captains. Like once you kill him, it's god dam easy street.

Edit: Woops I forgot after our first attempt it took 55 minutes for the next taken event to spawn. FFS Bungie.

Fondor_Yards on
    Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    This reminded me of how much I hated major/boss taken captains. Like once you kill him, it's god dam easy street.

Edit: Woops I forgot after our first attempt it took 55 minutes for the next taken event to spawn. FFS Bungie.

And then my game crashes as I try and load us in. Thankfully the portal lasts a long time and we one shot it.

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Just got my Whisper in a two man run, and I was only 375 8-)

I was with you in spirit

• Options
    Rock Lobster!Rock Lobster! Registered User regular
    Also, it's really silly that heroic strikes don't count for the "do 2 strikes" bounty but I'm pretty sure I remember that being the case for the "do some strikes" bounty in D1 as well so I guess at least it's consistently stupid.

I think they do count normally, it's just that vanguard boons (yet again) cause them to not count.

Steam | BNet: Eits#1367
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Thanks to the Whisper goings-on and some earlier grinding this week for Mars thingies, I had built up a ton of faction tokens and decided to just go the whole way and hit rank 50.

Unfortunately it's on New Monarchy, for the Sweet Business catalyst.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Is 362 too low to even try for the Whisper quest? I'm going solo, because I'm a masochist with few friends who play Destiny. I've made it through the jumpy parts reliably and can clear the first room of enemies/blights, but it's... a slog.

The problem is that at this point getting higher light requires the weekly engrams, which is a very slow way to progress.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    Is 362 too low to even try for the Whisper quest? I'm going solo, because I'm a masochist with few friends who play Destiny. I've made it through the jumpy parts reliably and can clear the first room of enemies/blights, but it's... a slog.

The problem is that at this point getting higher light requires the weekly engrams, which is a very slow way to progress.

That's definitely too low to solo this content, in great part because of the timer. Unless you're opposed to getting help from your fellow PAers, I'm sure you can get a hand from someone on whichever platform you play.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    If anyone is down for carrying my 363 or so butt through whisper on ps4 let me know. I’d super duper appreciate it.

Also isn’t gmaster out of town this week? I bet he didn’t expect destiny to have such a good week while he left...

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    lakhesislakhesis Registered User regular
    @bursar Are you PS4? I’m up to 372, and unexpectedly have some time this afternoon. I don’t know how tough it’d be being sub-380, but we could give it a shot.
    If @Disrupter wants to join and can make it, that’d be a full fire team.

PSN: strangerfork
  • Options
    DrellokDrellok Bogey's Turrible Wingman Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Only took 10 attempts or so to get my EP shotgun (2 of them, even!) today with a little bit of cheese, but others were there for the armor drops which ya can't cheese for.

edit: 58 final bosses defeated according to the EP emblem, but i feel like that's a little low, with closer to 70 being the correct number. 5 or 6 snipers in the attempts prior to today.

Drellok on
    XBL: DrellokTV
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Does the “kill the boss at the last second” cheese still work?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Does the “kill the boss at the last second” cheese still work?

It does

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    lakhesis wrote: »
    @bursar Are you PS4? I’m up to 372, and unexpectedly have some time this afternoon. I don’t know how tough it’d be being sub-380, but we could give it a shot.

Im gunna be out for a few hours, ill definitely be playing tonight though. Forwardsboxers on ps4. Add me if I dont have ya. Im gunna hand in my milestones see if i can get a bit closer to 370 or so.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    No idea if Bungies new EP mechanic is anything but hot air though.

I only saw 2 weapons drop total for a group of 7-9 people from... 15 kills? That is still an atrocious droprate.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Quick Guide for The Whisper:

Getting into Normal Mode:
    You need to wait for the Taken Blight public event to spawn on Io in the Lost Oasis. PEs will almost always spawn alternating between The Rupture and Lost Oasis. In Lost Oasis you either get the Cabal (AGAIN?!) or the Taken. Thankfully you can tell from just the map in the director which one is spawning.
    kweih5mhfwjs.jpg
    The Red circle is the bad one (ie - those blasted Cabal). The green circles are roughly the three spots the Taken Blight event can spawn. You see one of those 3 spots on the map, get your ass to Mars Io.

The cabal one is the one that spawns more often and there's nothing you can do to influence that as far as we know so the wait to get in can be fucking brutal. Like, literally more then an hour between attempts if you get unlucky.

Grab 2 friends (you can possibly duo or solo this but it's not gonna be easy), grab a rally at the flag because you are gonna need heavy and wait for the event to spawn.

The moment it spawns, one of 3 Taken bosses will spawn in one of these locations:
    9jmcdabr68we.jpg
    1 spawns in a cave high along the north wall, just east of the Lost Sector entrance near where the wall juts out.
    2 spawns in a almost completely covered ravine to the west of the springs.
    3 spawns in the caves underneath the big central plateau, just along the west side. Go to the west side of the zone and go in there or go up top and drop down the big hole in the taken-infested area near the Cabal event.

Kill the boss that spawns and a portal will open on top of a plateau just west of the hot springs. It's hard to miss. Have your fireteam leader use it and the event and the timer start. Make sure you are set before going in since you can't join mid-activity. The timer on the portal is extremely generous (like 2-3 minutes or more) so you don't have to rush.

Normal Mode:
    You have 20 minutes to complete the event. First is a long and challenging jumping puzzle. Then you have a tough fight through a series of rooms you have to clear of all enemies before you finally get to the bosses. Kill all 3 bosses before time runs out and you win. Watch a video to familiarize yourself with the route since it's got a lot of tricks and hidden turns. I suggest practising, solo is fine for this, because you will need to make good time through the jumping section to have enough time to kill everything and get the event done in time.

You will spawn in to the Lost Sector from the north end of the Lost Oasis. All the enemies inside will immediately despawn. Directly in front of you and up will be a ledge with the lost sector end chest on it. Up further and to your right will be a ledge you have to get to. The easiest place to make the jump is from the end of the lost sector. You can run through the whole empty lost sector to get there but there's a shortcut at the start. There's a bridge right in front of you with a big stone on it. Stand on the stone and using the right jumps and exotics and shoulder charge if Titan and whatever gets you your best platforming you can jump from that rock to the end chest. Then from the chest it's an easy jump to the ledge to get in to the jumping puzzle. Once up that ledge, shoot the blight on the floor, drop down the hole and it's time to begin.

There is one other big important shortcut you need to know. Video guides should show it but when you enter the moss room (the name people give to a huge room of stone with moss on some stuff) instead of doing the entire jumping puzzle in here which is long and difficult, turn around almost right away. Facing the door in, to the bottom left is a small bar light. Behind that light is a dark corner. Duck into that dark corner and you can sneak through a small tunnel and end up past the moss room without doing any of the jumping puzzle. This saves you a TON of time.

After working your way through the jumping puzzle you will get to a red room and on the back right, under the overhang, is a little hole you can drop down through and you will be in a room packed with taken. There will technically be 5 of these rooms but most of the time people talk about 3 rooms and then 2 connecting areas.
    - There are no respawn restrictions at all. It's like a patrol zone with the 5 second timer. You can die as much as you want but you are on a timer and I think dying gets rid of your orbs or something, making it harder to chain supers. But it can be worth a suicide run for heavy ammo or to secure important kills.
    - In every area you will need to kill everything to make the barrier at the back of the room change into a blight orb you can shoot and kill to move forward.
    - You only have to kill the enemies in the room, you don't have to kill the orbs generating the fields.
    - The other main thing in these rooms is there are small taken-looking things on the walls and in the air that will every few seconds explode, do a bit of damage and push you. Mostly these are near the doorways to force you into the room and out of cover. They also do damage and thus stop health regen so get the hell away from them. They are super annoying.
    - The blight orbs do the standard thing, you can't damage guys in them if you aren't in them too. I'm also pretty certain they can't damage you back while in them. They will also damage you while you stand in their field. It's not much but it stops your health regen and it adds up over time. There are a ton of these things and while you don't have to clear them you will want to get rid of some to let you actually shoot at things and to open more safe spaces.
    - There's a ton of shielded enemies and I don't know if it's just the power level or if it's got hidden extra shit like Prestige raid modes, but the stuff in here is beefy and the shields are hard to pop without the right element, so plan accordingly.

My experience here:
    Room 1 is fairly small. You will get bumrushed by Thrall the minute you enter and they don't die as easy as you hope, so be careful. There's very little cover here because the boopers at the start shove you into the room and out of the only cover there is and into the line of sight of all the snipers around the room. There's a big clump of enemies in the two back corners and some snipers on raised platforms at the back left and mid-right. We found bumrushing up the left side and across the back of the room with a roaming super did a lot of work. You probably wanna clear a bit of the blight too so you can actually shoot things. It's all solar shields in here so pack accordingly.

The next area is really tiny and you've got a few smaller enemies and some big ass taken captains. Solar shields only here. There are rooms to the left and right where you can all huddle up and keep all the enemies in front of you so I suggest you pick and side and rush it. The boopers will just throw you straight into the centre of the room so those rooms will be your only cover.

Room 2 is where shit really gets nasty. It's a big room and there is blight everywhere in the centre of the room, making shooting at things long range very difficult. There's a big raised platform along the back and right wall and some smaller platforms on the left wall. There are also 2 tunnels on the left and right side connecting the middle to the rear of the room. Those are your safe spots, use them. You will have a lot of difficulty moving in here because the boopers will throw you right into the room and you will get focus fired down quickly if you stay there, but trying to break left or right will have you face to face with some knights and other enemies you don't want to be close-quarters with. The biggest threats are like 4 or so solar shield taken knights on the left and right. Most are on raised platforms and will just hammer you with their fire attack. Back of the room are snipers with void weapons and those are the other big threat. There are some taken wizards around with void shields but they are lower priority and hang out on the ground on the left and right. The centre of the room is full of taken acolytes with void shields. They are tougher then you think and the blight makes killing annoyingly hard but you can ignore them till the knights are dealt with.

Next comes the sniper room. Watch as you enter because once you move forward enough 2 taken phalanx's spawn in behind you and will throw you off the ledge and into the sniper deathtrap. There are yellow-bar snipers way up top on pillars and a ton of wee little snipers on the ground. Not too difficult just be sure someone has some good long-range weapons to take out the snipers. Watch for the phalanx's and use them to refresh your power ammo if you are switching weapons for the last fight.

Finally you get to room 3, the boss room. Drop down from the sniper room onto a pile of stones. This little slope is a safe-ish area. You will still get fired at and you'll still get those tracking orbs thrown at you up here, but the enemies won't come up here so you are relatively safe. There are two big pillars blocking line of sight further up. You can't use them for cover because boopers will throw you in to the centre between the two pillars and then throw you right into the room. You either have to hang back on the slope or get right into the room itself. There are again 2 safety tunnels, one on the left and one on the right. Good places to hide if you are going in deep. There's a moderate amount of blight in here. I suggest clearing the front two ones to give you some good long range line of sight on the bosses.

Initially you'll have a bunch of arc-shielded centurions (I think) and phalanxs. Killing them seems to cause the first boss to start moving forward. The bosses will hang around the front of the room, just past the pillars. This makes them easy to shoot at from the slope and to jump on with supers and shotguns and such without being overwhelmed, providing you cleared a bit before. After the first boss, taken minotaurs and some other enemies will start showing up in the mix too. There is nothing special about the bosses, no shields just big health bars and standard attacks for their enemy type. One is a taken knight, one is a taken centurion and one is something else I can't remember right now. Mostly arc and void shields in here.

General suggestions: Arcstrider is great here. Nightstalker less so imo, as the enemies don't seem to group up enough for good tethers most of the time. Sunbreaker would probably work well as long as you can get your hammers onto the enemy. Definitely in the first two rooms with the solar shields. And melting point is always good. Sentinel+Doomfang could probably clean up too. For warlock, voidbomb works pretty well and dawnblade probably does too although the enemies are beefy enough you can't depend on the reset from kills and it's dangerous to take too much fire here.

EP shotguns are, as always, super good. The first two rooms especially you can bumrush the enemy pretty effectively. You can do so in the 3rd room too but it's more dangerous. It will do real good work on the bosses while your ammo lasts though. Snipers are hard in the first few rooms because it's hard to get line of sight with all the blight but work wonders in the last areas, especially the boss room, as you can hang out on the slope and shoot for days. Whisper of the Worm actually works amazing for this with it's free ammo perk, if you have someone along who already has it. For a sniping strategy we found one person just using a pulse or scout while the other two sniped worked best as the 3rd person can keep the orbs one of the bosses fires at you killed. Getting right up in the bosses face, especially the first one, with arcstrider or the like it really effective too. All I can think of right now.

Kill the 3 bosses and you will get your Whisper of the Worm exotic and Heroic Mode will be available.

Heroic Mode and the Catalyst:
    Now that you have heroic mode unlocked things actually get easier. The Whisper (Heroic) is now just selectable from the map screen. Only people who've completed normal mode can get into heroic though, so you can't help the poor souls just trying to get normal done. Heroic raises the level to 400 and adds a singe modifier.

The level is identical though so run through the jumping puzzle again and then kill everything and when you kill the 3 bosses the catalyst for Whisper of the Worm will drop. Equip it.

To complete the catalyst you need 50 Blighted Essence (2% per essence). This only drops in The Whisper (Heroic). One clear gets you 12 (24%), but only once per week per account. You can get more though.

The Chests and the Ship:
    You can get another 6 (12%) from the chests though. In Heroic there are 5 hidden chests and 1 special chest, each of which drops a Blighted Essence.

Videos with the chest locations are here:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/90lwwx/spoiler_oracles_are_appearing_next_to_a_vex_gate/
    https://gamerant.com/destiny-2-chest-whisper-quest-worm-spindle/
    https://gamerant.com/destiny-2-whisper-oracle-chest/

Brief description:
    1) First chest is right at the start. After you kill the blight and drop down the long hole, you make a long jump through a narrow gap. Then you have to jump over to a ledge down and to the right. Before you make that jump, look up and to the right. Along the wall with the ledge, closer to you and higher up, is an opening. First chest in there.
    2) Second chest is way further in. In the room with the Vex boobs on the wall and the ... holes, where you usually run to the top right to continue, there is a ledge along the back wall. Jump to that ledge or jump into the top-left hole at the back and you will end up in a room with another chest. Go along the ledge at the back to jump back to the main route.
    3) Third chest is in the moss room. Not far from the entrance of the room on the left side way low down is a little cave you can get into. Chest is at the back.
    4) Fourth chest is in the moss room. It's easy to find, you just need to actually complete the jumping puzzle in here instead of skipping it. The last jump down overtop of where you come in will have the chest.
    5) Final chest is in the big blue room where you run along the left wall and then leap down to the lighted opening. Instead of going left, you are going to go right. Look on the right wall and you will see some platforms. With some good jumping you can leap the gap from the left ledge to the platforms. If you can't make it, from the doorway into the room there is actually a platform hidden in shadow to the right. Jump there and then get to the platforms on the right wall. Follow those for a while and you will end up on one that sticks way out and from the end of that you can see a vex gate floating in space. Jump to the gate. Go through the gate and hidden in the distance you will see a tall very narrow black platform. Jump to that, turn right and you will see another platform and then another easy jump to the chest.

If you get all 5 chests, you can access the 6th even more secret chest. You need to have opened all the chests that run. Only one member of the fireteam needs to open the chest but they need to be opened that run. If you time out or something and restart, you need to open them again. If you've opened all 5, you should now be at the Vex gate floating in space.

From the vex gate look back towards the left wall and you will see lights blinking at you in a sequence and then all appearing. These are oracles. You should see 7 of them. If you don't see 7 of them, you missed a chest. You need to shoot these in the correct order. Shoot them correctly and they will despawn and then blink at you again and then reappear. Repeat this 3 times and the 6th chest will spawn.

The sequence is:
    1-3-5

4-6-7-3-1

7-3-1-6-4-2-5

The chest will contain another Blighted Essence and a schematic for a ship.

To get the ship you need to beat the heroic 3 times, one for each type of singe. So run the heroic again and then you have to run it next week and the week after and that step will be done. The ship schematic is also step 2 for the Sleeper Simulant catalyst, so it's good to have. You have to do the heroic runs on the character you pick up the ship with. It's not per account, only one character has the schematic so only doing the heroic version on that character will get you progress.

At this point you should have 36% on your catalyst. That is the max doable for this week and probably per week, but we don't know yet.

Bonus: Extra Modifier:
    At some point, either by getting 24% or 36% or just finishing the heroic again, you will also get another modifier on the heroic version. The % completion of your fireteam lead on the Whisper of the Worm catalyst will give everyone in the fireteam that % extra damage during the mission. It's a sherpa buff, use it well.

shryke on
  • Options
    Welp, it took 9 or so runs but I finally got my shotgun. Wait, 9 runs isn't that many? Oh ok, sorry Drell! Thanks to everyone for letting me tag along though, shotgun is pretty snazzy and has way more ammo than expected.

My experience running the Whisper thing at 366 or so is that the snipers in the jumping puzzle will about two shot you. I was running 5 or 6 resilience.

• Options
    Welp, it took 9 or so runs but I finally got my shotgun. Wait, 9 runs isn't that many? Oh ok, sorry Drell! Thanks to everyone for letting me tag along though, shotgun is pretty snazzy and has way more ammo than expected.

My experience running the Whisper thing at 366 or so is that the snipers in the jumping puzzle will about two shot you. I was running 5 or 6 resilience.

I think they were still 2 shooting me at max light level. You just gotta keep running and you'll be fine.

Also EP shotgun is game-breakingly amazing. Enjoy.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Quick Guide for The Whisper:

Getting into Normal Mode:
    You need to wait for the Taken Blight public event to spawn on Io in the Lost Oasis. PEs will almost always spawn alternating between The Rupture and Lost Oasis. In Lost Oasis you either get the Cabal (AGAIN?!) or the Taken. Thankfully you can tell from just the map in the director which one is spawning.
    kweih5mhfwjs.jpg
    The Red circle is the bad one (ie - those blasted Cabal). The green circles are roughly the three spots the Taken Blight event can spawn. You see one of those 3 spots on the map, get your ass to Mars Io.

The cabal one is the one that spawns more often and there's nothing you can do to influence that as far as we know so the wait to get in can be fucking brutal. Like, literally more then an hour between attempts if you get unlucky.

Grab 2 friends (you can possibly duo or solo this but it's not gonna be easy), grab a rally at the flag because you are gonna need heavy and wait for the event to spawn.

The moment it spawns, one of 3 Taken bosses will spawn in one of these locations:
    9jmcdabr68we.jpg
    1 spawns in a cave high along the north wall, just east of the Lost Sector entrance near where the wall juts out.
    2 spawns in a almost completely covered ravine to the west of the springs.
    3 spawns in the caves underneath the big central plateau, just along the west side. Go to the west side of the zone and go in there or go up top and drop down the big hole in the taken-infested area near the Cabal event.

Kill the boss that spawns and a portal will open on top of a plateau just west of the hot springs. It's hard to miss. Have your fireteam leader use it and the event and the timer start. Make sure you are set before going in since you can't join mid-activity. The timer on the portal is extremely generous (like 2-3 minutes or more) so you don't have to rush.

Normal Mode:
    You have 20 minutes to complete the event. First is a long and challenging jumping puzzle. Then you have a tough fight through a series of rooms you have to clear of all enemies before you finally get to the bosses. Kill all 3 bosses before time runs out and you win. Watch a video to familiarize yourself with the route since it's got a lot of tricks and hidden turns. I suggest practising, solo is fine for this, because you will need to make good time through the jumping section to have enough time to kill everything and get the event done in time.

You will spawn in to the Lost Sector from the north end of the Lost Oasis. All the enemies inside will immediately despawn. Directly in front of you and up will be a ledge with the lost sector end chest on it. Up further and to your right will be a ledge you have to get to. The easiest place to make the jump is from the end of the lost sector. You can run through the whole empty lost sector to get there but there's a shortcut at the start. There's a bridge right in front of you with a big stone on it. Stand on the stone and using the right jumps and exotics and shoulder charge if Titan and whatever gets you your best platforming you can jump from that rock to the end chest. Then from the chest it's an easy jump to the ledge to get in to the jumping puzzle. Once up that ledge, shoot the blight on the floor, drop down the hole and it's time to begin.

There is one other big important shortcut you need to know. Video guides should show it but when you enter the moss room (the name people give to a huge room of stone with moss on some stuff) instead of doing the entire jumping puzzle in here which is long and difficult, turn around almost right away. Facing the door in, to the bottom left is a small bar light. Behind that light is a dark corner. Duck into that dark corner and you can sneak through a small tunnel and end up past the moss room without doing any of the jumping puzzle. This saves you a TON of time.

After working your way through the jumping puzzle you will get to a red room and on the back right, under the overhang, is a little hole you can drop down through and you will be in a room packed with taken. There will technically be 5 of these rooms but most of the time people talk about 3 rooms and then 2 connecting areas.
    - There are no respawn restrictions at all. It's like a patrol zone with the 5 second timer. You can die as much as you want but you are on a timer and I think dying gets rid of your orbs or something, making it harder to chain supers. But it can be worth a suicide run for heavy ammo or to secure important kills.
    - In every area you will need to kill everything to make the barrier at the back of the room change into a blight orb you can shoot and kill to move forward.
    - You only have to kill the enemies in the room, you don't have to kill the orbs generating the fields.
    - The other main thing in these rooms is there are small taken-looking things on the walls and in the air that will every few seconds explode, do a bit of damage and push you. Mostly these are near the doorways to force you into the room and out of cover. They also do damage and thus stop health regen so get the hell away from them. They are super annoying.
    - The blight orbs do the standard thing, you can't damage guys in them if you aren't in them too. I'm also pretty certain they can't damage you back while in them. They will also damage you while you stand in their field. It's not much but it stops your health regen and it adds up over time. There are a ton of these things and while you don't have to clear them you will want to get rid of some to let you actually shoot at things and to open more safe spaces.
    - There's a ton of shielded enemies and I don't know if it's just the power level or if it's got hidden extra shit like Prestige raid modes, but the stuff in here is beefy and the shields are hard to pop without the right element, so plan accordingly.

My experience here:
    Room 1 is fairly small. You will get bumrushed by Thrall the minute you enter and they don't die as easy as you hope, so be careful. There's very little cover here because the boopers at the start shove you into the room and out of the only cover there is and into the line of sight of all the snipers around the room. There's a big clump of enemies in the two back corners and some snipers on raised platforms at the back left and mid-right. We found bumrushing up the left side and across the back of the room with a roaming super did a lot of work. You probably wanna clear a bit of the blight too so you can actually shoot things. It's all solar shields in here so pack accordingly.

The next area is really tiny and you've got a few smaller enemies and some big ass taken captains. Solar shields only here. There are rooms to the left and right where you can all huddle up and keep all the enemies in front of you so I suggest you pick and side and rush it. The boopers will just throw you straight into the centre of the room so those rooms will be your only cover.

Room 2 is where shit really gets nasty. It's a big room and there is blight everywhere in the centre of the room, making shooting at things long range very difficult. There's a big raised platform along the back and right wall and some smaller platforms on the left wall. There are also 2 tunnels on the left and right side connecting the middle to the rear of the room. Those are your safe spots, use them. You will have a lot of difficulty moving in here because the boopers will throw you right into the room and you will get focus fired down quickly if you stay there, but trying to break left or right will have you face to face with some knights and other enemies you don't want to be close-quarters with. The biggest threats are like 4 or so solar shield taken knights on the left and right. Most are on raised platforms and will just hammer you with their fire attack. Back of the room are snipers with void weapons and those are the other big threat. There are some taken wizards around with void shields but they are lower priority and hang out on the ground on the left and right. The centre of the room is full of taken acolytes with void shields. They are tougher then you think and the blight makes killing annoyingly hard but you can ignore them till the knights are dealt with.

Next comes the sniper room. Watch as you enter because once you move forward enough 2 taken phalanx's spawn in behind you and will throw you off the ledge and into the sniper deathtrap. There are yellow-bar snipers way up top on pillars and a ton of wee little snipers on the ground. Not too difficult just be sure someone has some good long-range weapons to take out the snipers. Watch for the phalanx's and use them to refresh your power ammo if you are switching weapons for the last fight.

Finally you get to room 3, the boss room. Drop down from the sniper room onto a pile of stones. This little slope is a safe-ish area. You will still get fired at and you'll still get those tracking orbs thrown at you up here, but the enemies won't come up here so you are relatively safe. There are two big pillars blocking line of sight further up. You can't use them for cover because boopers will throw you in to the centre between the two pillars and then throw you right into the room. You either have to hang back on the slope or get right into the room itself. There are again 2 safety tunnels, one on the left and one on the right. Good places to hide if you are going in deep. There's a moderate amount of blight in here. I suggest clearing the front two ones to give you some good long range line of sight on the bosses.

Initially you'll have a bunch of arc-shielded centurions (I think) and phalanxs. Killing them seems to cause the first boss to start moving forward. The bosses will hang around the front of the room, just past the pillars. This makes them easy to shoot at from the slope and to jump on with supers and shotguns and such without being overwhelmed, providing you cleared a bit before. After the first boss, taken minotaurs and some other enemies will start showing up in the mix too. There is nothing special about the bosses, no shields just big health bars and standard attacks for their enemy type. One is a taken knight, one is a taken centurion and one is something else I can't remember right now. Mostly arc and void shields in here.

General suggestions: Arcstrider is great here. Nightstalker less so imo, as the enemies don't seem to group up enough for good tethers most of the time. Sunbreaker would probably work well as long as you can get your hammers onto the enemy. Definitely in the first two rooms with the solar shields. And melting point is always good. Sentinel+Doomfang could probably clean up too. For warlock, voidbomb works pretty well and dawnblade probably does too although the enemies are beefy enough you can't depend on the reset from kills and it's dangerous to take too much fire here.

EP shotguns are, as always, super good. The first two rooms especially you can bumrush the enemy pretty effectively. You can do so in the 3rd room too but it's more dangerous. It will do real good work on the bosses while your ammo lasts though. Snipers are hard in the first few rooms because it's hard to get line of sight with all the blight but work wonders in the last areas, especially the boss room, as you can hang out on the slope and shoot for days. Whisper of the Worm actually works amazing for this with it's free ammo perk, if you have someone along who already has it. For a sniping strategy we found one person just using a pulse or scout while the other two sniped worked best as the 3rd person can keep the orbs one of the bosses fires at you killed. Getting right up in the bosses face, especially the first one, with arcstrider or the like it really effective too. All I can think of right now.

Kill the 3 bosses and you will get your Whisper of the Worm exotic and Heroic Mode will be available.

Heroic Mode and the Catalyst:
    Now that you have heroic mode unlocked things actually get easier. The Whisper (Heroic) is now just selectable from the map screen. Only people who've completed normal mode can get into heroic though, so you can't help the poor souls just trying to get normal done. Heroic raises the level to 400 and adds a singe modifier.

The level is identical though so run through the jumping puzzle again and then kill everything and when you kill the 3 bosses the catalyst for Whisper of the Worm will drop. Equip it.

To complete the catalyst you need 50 Blighted Essence (2% per essence). This only drops in The Whisper (Heroic). One clear gets you 12 (24%), but only once per week per account. You can get more though.

The Chests and the Ship:
    You can get another 6 (12%) from the chests though. In Heroic there are 5 hidden chests and 1 special chest, each of which drops a Blighted Essence.

Videos with the chest locations are here:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/90lwwx/spoiler_oracles_are_appearing_next_to_a_vex_gate/
    https://gamerant.com/destiny-2-chest-whisper-quest-worm-spindle/

Brief description:
    1) First chest is right at the start. After you kill the blight and drop down the long hole, you make a long jump through a narrow gap. Then you have to jump over to a ledge down and to the right. Before you make that jump, look up and to the right. Along the wall with the ledge, closer to you and higher up, is an opening. First chest in there.
    2) Second chest is way further in. In the room with the Vex boobs on the wall and the ... holes, where you usually run to the top right to continue, there is a ledge along the back wall. Jump to that ledge or jump into the top-left hole at the back and you will end up in a room with another chest. Go along the ledge at the back to jump back to the main route.
    3) Third chest is in the moss room. Not far from the entrance of the room on the left side way low down is a little cave you can get into. Chest is at the back.
    4) Fourth chest is in the moss room. It's easy to find, you just need to actually complete the jumping puzzle in here instead of skipping it. The last jump down overtop of where you come in will have the chest.
    5) Final chest is in the big blue room where you run along the left wall and then leap down to the lighted opening. Instead of going left, you are going to go right. Look on the right wall and you will see some platforms. With some good jumping you can leap the gap from the left ledge to the platforms. If you can't make it, from the doorway into the room there is actually a platform hidden in shadow to the right. Jump there and then get to the platforms on the right wall. Follow those for a while and you will end up on one that sticks way out and from the end of that you can see a vex gate floating in space. Jump to the gate. Go through the gate and hidden in the distance you will see a tall very narrow black platform. Jump to that, turn right and you will see another platform and then another easy jump to the chest.

If you get all 5 chests, you can access the 6th even more secret chest. You need to have opened all the chests that run. Only one member of the fireteam needs to open the chest but they need to be opened that run. If you time out or something and restart, you need to open them again. If you've opened all 5, you should now be at the Vex gate floating in space.

From the vex gate look back towards the left wall and you will see lights blinking at you in a sequence and then all appearing. These are oracles. You should see 7 of them. If you don't see 7 of them, you missed a chest. You need to shoot these in the correct order. Shoot them correctly and they will despawn and then blink at you again and then reappear. Repeat this 3 times and the 6th chest will spawn.

The sequence is:
    1-3-5

4-6-7-3-1

7-3-1-6-4-2-5

The chest will contain another Blighted Essence and a schematic for a ship.

To get the ship you need to beat the heroic 3 times, one for each type of singe. So run the heroic again and then you have to run it next week and the week after and that step will be done. The ship schematic is also step 2 for the Sleeper Simulant catalyst, so it's good to have.

At this point you should have 36% on your catalyst. That is the max doable for this week and probably per week, but we don't know yet.

Bonus: Extra Modifier:
    At some point, either by getting 24% or 36% or just finishing the heroic again, you will also get another modifier on the heroic version. The % completion of your fireteam lead on the Whisper of the Worm catalyst will give everyone in the fireteam that % extra damage during the mission. It's a sherpa buff, use it well.

Can we get a link to this in the OP? I'm not tough enough to try this yet, but will definitely want this handy when I am.

• Options
    lakhesislakhesis Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »

Im gunna be out for a few hours, ill definitely be playing tonight though. Forwardsboxers on ps4. Add me if I dont have ya. Im gunna hand in my milestones see if i can get a bit closer to 370 or so.

Cool! I’ll be on tonight as well. PSN/Strangerfork

PSN: strangerfork
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular

I think they were still 2 shooting me at max light level. You just gotta keep running and you'll be fine.

Also EP shotgun is game-breakingly amazing. Enjoy.

I wish had recorded it, but after the sniper got me 3 times I jumped up to him and punched him to death

• Options
    There's 2 or 3 snipers. One to your upper left as you jump out, one up and out to the right and one on the far side up to the left of the target tunnel.

There is is a good YT video of a hunter with frostee5 doing it all in 3 minutes.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    lakhesis wrote: »

I'm Wstfgl on PSN. I know Disrupter's in my friends list; not sure about you. I'm not playing at the moment, but should be available whenever you feel up for the attempt. If the ps Messages app works as well when people are actually trying to talk to me as it does when random geese add me to 100-person groups, I'll get the notification quickly.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Up to 7 Cabal Excavations on Io now, gg Bungo

Nearly 2 hours waiting to even try this sodding mission, kill me now

Hermano on

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Hermano wrote: »

Yeah, we got a group together last night, got 1 shot at it but failed because on of our guys was doing it for the first time. He got to the end after some guidance from dead guardians looking over his shoulder (literally, we guided him from the dead screen where you can see what your fireteam is doing) but he literally dropped into the first room with 3 seconds left. We actually cleared almost to the bosses with only 2 of us too.

Anyway, we are like "Ok, another go and we got this. Everyone knows the way know."

Next spawn, Cabal event.
    Next spawn, doesn't even happen.
    Then like 3 Cabal events in a row.

A fucking hour and a half later I'm standing around afk with like 6 other people on Io and the fucking thing finally pops again.

I like the general idea here but they need a better trigger for the event. Or at least you should be able to like, activate something at the end of the jumping puzzle or after a few rooms of enemies or something so you can select the event from the map the way you can the heroic.

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Hermano wrote: »

Yeah, we got a group together last night, got 1 shot at it but failed because on of our guys was doing it for the first time. He got to the end after some guidance from dead guardians looking over his shoulder (literally, we guided him from the dead screen where you can see what your fireteam is doing) but he literally dropped into the first room with 3 seconds left. We actually cleared almost to the bosses with only 2 of us too.

Anyway, we are like "Ok, another go and we got this. Everyone knows the way know."

Next spawn, Cabal event.
    Next spawn, doesn't even happen.
    Then like 3 Cabal events in a row.

A fucking hour and a half later I'm standing around afk with like 6 other people on Io and the fucking thing finally pops again.

I like the general idea here but they need a better trigger for the event. Or at least you should be able to like, activate something at the end of the jumping puzzle or after a few rooms of enemies or something so you can select the event from the map the way you can the heroic.

Yeah we had the same problem last night, all set for a decent run and one of us loses internet connection at the start of the mission, then we just sat and waited for another hour and gave up. Now tonight it's nothing but Cabal.

This is so close to being an awesome thing but the implementation fucking sucks

Edit- haha 8 Cabal events in a row now, incredible stuff

Edit 2- 9! 9! 9! In. A. Row.

Hermano on

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    s3 really feels like a huge step backwards in how much the game just doesn’t respect your time

it’s almost entirely the reason i haven’t preordered forsaken because it’s total bullshit

Allegedly a voice of reason.
This discussion has been closed.