As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Enter the Gungeon: That's when I reach for my revolver

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    The Camera/Flash Ray synergy is great. It makes the Flash Ray shots stronger and ricochet, and it makes it set off a camera flash when it runs out of a clip. It also makes the Camera fire off two bouncy Flash Ray shots when it takes a photo.

Shock Rounds/Thunderclap is probably even better, though.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Kriegaffe wrote: »
    It is a bit easier in the first level. I found chests (both brown-unlocked and blue-locked) were dropping a lot more in the early standard rooms. On my first run post-patch I hit the second level with about 3 guns. That's a lot better than previously where I forced to do most of the first level, and occasionally the boss, with the starter weapon.

There also seems to be a mechanic for saving surplus hearts, though I haven't figured it out completely.

On the flipside, I keep opening chests to find someone has stolen the goods and all is left is an 'Infuriating letter'. This is also something I haven't figured out completely.

Does anyone know what the orange cubes are for? The green ones are ammo, but I found an orange/pink one I couldn't interact with.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    Kriegaffe wrote: »
    It is a bit easier in the first level. I found chests (both brown-unlocked and blue-locked) were dropping a lot more in the early standard rooms. On my first run post-patch I hit the second level with about 3 guns. That's a lot better than previously where I forced to do most of the first level, and occasionally the boss, with the starter weapon.

There also seems to be a mechanic for saving surplus hearts, though I haven't figured it out completely.

On the flipside, I keep opening chests to find someone has stolen the goods and all is left is an 'Infuriating letter'. This is also something I haven't figured out completely.

Does anyone know what the orange cubes are for? The green ones are ammo, but I found an orange/pink one I couldn't interact with.

Those are all-gun ammo crates. You pick one up with a gun that needs ammo, and it partially refills the ammo of every gun you have. They're pretty great.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    The infuriating letter is plot stuff. As I understand it it'll happen a few times until the next phase of the story starts.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Hey so this game is pretty hard. Did you guys notice that?

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I probably had 100 hours in before I beat the old-final-final boss, so, yee.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    This game is less than 3 dollars on the Russian Switch e-shop.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I don’t know if it’s the Switch’s HD rumble, but shooting in this game feels great, especially with an automatic weapon. I wish you could more easily get those automatic weapons, because they also make the bosses less hard.

Just running around with a tommy gun going “YEEEEAH!”

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Getting around feels so much faster now. Was one of my initial problems.

That and I suck and have unable to reliably get past the second dungeon area for about a year now.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Man, the Vampire is such a useful NPC, especilly if there are hearts for sale in the shop, or I've found a bunch to put into the vending machine.

Almost makes me reconsider the Bullet as my favorite character, since he can't really afford to spend life on much of anything unless he can get right back to full quickly.

• Options
    Uuuugh. Did a boss rush to try and get back into things.

1) It gave me four shotguns in a row to start off with. (The Siren is actually surprisingly great against early bosses, and Rattler is very good, and Pulse Cannon + Heart Locket's synergy is hilarious, but still!)
    2) I DO NOT remember how to dodge Wallmonger and High Priest's patterns. Those two single-handedly killed me from six full hearts.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    Still in full newbie mode, but I got electric bullets and lower case R. That was crazy.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    Lower Case R and Barrel are easily my favorite guns in the game, and it has nothing to do with how good they are as guns.

(Barrel is actually pretty good, though, and as you said R gets some cool synergies.)

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Picked this up yesterday and I'm diggin it. Any newbie tips?

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Grove wrote: »

I think they got rid of some of the weird indiosyncracities in this update which is nice, but one I think still exists is 'gun forcing'. IE, don't open any chests until you fight the boss, because then you guarantee getting a gun from the boss (and having more guns is good both for more rolls at great guns and just having more ammo available). That might have to wait until you're more comfortable fighting bosses, though, as the starter weapons aren't very ideal to fight bosses with if you don't have the patterns down pat.

Some weapons (particularly revolvers) fire faster if you click repeatedly rather than holding the button down, including two of the character's starting weapons (the revolver ones). Some reload faster if you manually trigger the reload (like the Crossbow).

Some weapons are particularly well suited for clearing rooms (piercing and AoE are valuable for this), some are better for bosses (high spike damage, long-ranged full auto that let you focus on dodging, the Sling). Save blanks for the boss fight if you can to go for the flawless.

Try not to get hit. It's obvious, but it's also really important :P

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Lower Case R and Barrel are easily my favorite guns in the game, and it has nothing to do with how good they are as guns.

(Barrel is actually pretty good, though, and as you said R gets some cool synergies.)

I got r and Ghost Bullets today. The gun switched from shooting "B U L L E T" to shooting "G H O S T", "S P O O K Y", and "B O O".

Easily the most fun I've had with the r, and it boosted the power of the gun as well, I think.

It was almost worth having Ghost Bullets, even though I always get some variety of explode-on-contact weapon when I get that item. Rockets aren't so hot when they pass through the target without exploding.

Enlong on
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    DOUBLE DOG POWERRRRRRRRRR
    Casual Lead God on like my third run back, yesssss. Also a ghost bullets run! It was in the last shop and my only explosive weapon was Sticky Crossbow. But also this run had an early Money=Power and a midway Unity, and while it didn't feel like it was a ton of extra damage it was probably just velocitation. Edit: Oh yeah, and the second pupper was from the mimic follower, which is hilarious and awesome.
    NprAPe3.jpg?1

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular

I think they got rid of some of the weird indiosyncracities in this update which is nice, but one I think still exists is 'gun forcing'. IE, don't open any chests until you fight the boss, because then you guarantee getting a gun from the boss (and having more guns is good both for more rolls at great guns and just having more ammo available). That might have to wait until you're more comfortable fighting bosses, though, as the starter weapons aren't very ideal to fight bosses with if you don't have the patterns down pat.

Some weapons (particularly revolvers) fire faster if you click repeatedly rather than holding the button down, including two of the character's starting weapons (the revolver ones). Some reload faster if you manually trigger the reload (like the Crossbow).

Some weapons are particularly well suited for clearing rooms (piercing and AoE are valuable for this), some are better for bosses (high spike damage, long-ranged full auto that let you focus on dodging, the Sling). Save blanks for the boss fight if you can to go for the flawless.

Thanks for the tips!

Do blanks refill after you clear a level?

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options

Thanks for the tips!

Do blanks refill after you clear a level?

Yes! You go back up to two every level if you have less (certain items, like the more expensive blank necklaces, up that number), so no reason not to use the two you get (bar the new super-duper-secret boss but that's for another time). One thing to note is that you will carry over any excess blanks you have, so if you find yourself doing fine on a level after grabbing two extra (so you have four total), you can go to the next floor with those four.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I've been playing this game for a while now, like I've gotten to the Dragun twice, and I only just learnt about synergies today. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with this new found information since I usually try my best with whatever stuff I find, but perhaps I'll buy certain items at the shop if I know there's an effective synergy.

Kriegaffe on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    What kind of progression do you keep between runs?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    What kind of progression do you keep between runs?

Only unlocks and the green credits that drop after bosses (which you use for unlocking things in the out-of-dungeon shops). Otherwise it's like Isaac where you start every run fresh.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    I'm slowly getting better at it. The most I can clear is 2 bosses. I'm still figuring out how to survive them.

I will say this. When I see a row of tables I jump them length wise and go WEEEEE all the way down the row.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I've only gotten to the third level yet, yeah. I find it a lot harder to get in the dodging zone against bosses in this game than e.g. Ikaruga because you can't face the same level repeatedly and because you have to reload.

I did get a perfect against the first level boss without even realizing it, which was really pleasing, but that hasn't happened since.

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Turbo Mode and faster movement out of combat stack and it feels a bit toooo fast but amazing

• Options
    Oh yeah, another quick tip is try to avoid rolling if at all possible. While you get i-frames in the roll it's got ending lag and you can't change direction during the whole time (barring certain items). So any time you can dodge by just sidestepping it gives you more control over where you end up, making it easier to dodge follow-up attacks. Natch this becomes easier as you get used to patterns and hitboxes et al

also bubble blower is my favorite new 'gun' so far, it's so dumb and deceptively powerful (you get a similar effect from megahand + mega dowser, but it's... still much worse than just normal megahand)

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Hey, I'm actually making real progress for once. Made it to the fourth floor boss chamber (for the first time) twice today and almost have the second floor shortcut unlocked.

Things are looking up/slightly less embarrassing.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I can barely get past the second floor. Why is this game so hard.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Full Metal Jacket should be how the game always plays IMHO

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I can barely get past the second floor. Why is this game so hard.

It took me 100+ hours to beat the fifth floor finally. Then I started beating it pretty much every run. As long as you're enjoying it, give it time.

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Full Metal Jacket is a downside half the time because it can make you waste blanks before the boss. It's one of the few passives (along with Ghost Bullets, Scattershot, Table Tech Sight, and Table Tech Rocket) that I'll choose not to pick up depending on the run.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Full Metal Jacket is a downside half the time because it can make you waste blanks before the boss. It's one of the few passives (along with Ghost Bullets, Scattershot, Table Tech Sight, and Table Tech Rocket) that I'll choose not to pick up depending on the run.

Using a blank instead of taking a hit is always a good use of a blank, though.

• Options
    I mean I get it, you don’t want to take hits at the boss because that means more heart containers, but still. During boss fights there’s times where you want to use a blank and don’t quite make it, so it’s really nice when that happens

• Options
    I can't decide if I like the Wood Beam or dislike it. It's hilarious with the Backup Gun, though.

• Options
    Don't use the Combined Rifle's secondary fire to kill bosses.

• Options
    Shame there are still so few characters to play as.

Its fine for the most part, the guns are the real stars but still.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Ahaha, I lucked out then. I killed a boss with the Combined Rifle primary fire today.

Also had a neat run where I got Silver Bullets so I just got as cursed as I could, as it seemed like it was actually a damage up when enemies were cursed (as in, I killed cursed enemies faster than normal ones). I had Ethereal Ring (the longest-duration stealing item) and got a Black Market on the Forge, so I just ran through and stole an item from each shopkeep. Ended up getting my first Cursed Lich kill and it was the easiest Lich fight I'd ever done.

Also helped that I was Pilot and also had Potion of Lead Skin so I had two invulnerability actives I could swap between, giving me pretty much permanent invuln against bosses :P

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    2 EtG gripes. It's frustrating to leave a floor with 3 trasure boxes, 1 locked trapdoor and 1 locked regular door. And 2 keys sit at the shop unadfordable. Why make keys this sparse?? I get that's sorta the catch of a procedurally generated world, but COME ON.

Also on that same run I entered a boss chamber with a decent loadout, only to have the boss glitched still, and unmoving. Can't warp. I love a harsh dungeon crawl but things like this add a layer of frustration that makes me hesitant to keep playing. Also experiencing pretty big frame drops once a session or so. I don't really get what about this game would be so taxing.

• Options
    The key shortage supposedly should have been fixed in this update, but sometimes you still just get blasted by RNG, yeah.

That bug sounds like a pretty serious thing a-la the clip Enlong posted above and was probably introduced with the expansion. I haven't hit any game-breaking bugs in 200 hours, sorry that you got the short end of the stick there :/

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    I am always always always short on keys

I don't need to open every chest and lock but seriously, sometimes I go a whole floor being unable to open anything because no keys spawn even in the shop