As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Manticores and Manicures: a Well Groomed Table Top Thread.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/0786966599/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532274931&sr=8-1&keywords=guildmaster's+guide+to+ravnica
    Explore a worldwide cityscape filled to the brim with adventure and intrigue in this campaign setting for the world's greatest roleplaying game

A perpetual haze of dreary rain hangs over the spires of Ravnica. Bundled against the weather, the cosmopolitan citizens in all their fantastic diversity go about their daily business in bustling markets and shadowy back alleys. Through it all, ten guilds--crime syndicates, scientific institutions, church hierarchies, military forces, judicial courts, buzzing swarms, and rampaging gangs--vie for power, wealth, and influence. These guilds are the foundation of power on Ravnica. They have existed for millennia, and each one has its own identity and civic function, its own diverse collection of races and creatures, and its own distinct subculture. Their history is a web of wars, intrigue, and political machinations as they have vied for control of the plane.

For the first time, a Magic the Gathering setting is getting an official, fully featured D&D supplemental book

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    For a second I had that backwards in my head and I thought you meant there was going to be an official DnD supplement for MtG.

This is waaaaaaaaay better.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/0786966599/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532274931&sr=8-1&keywords=guildmaster's+guide+to+ravnica
    Explore a worldwide cityscape filled to the brim with adventure and intrigue in this campaign setting for the world's greatest roleplaying game

A perpetual haze of dreary rain hangs over the spires of Ravnica. Bundled against the weather, the cosmopolitan citizens in all their fantastic diversity go about their daily business in bustling markets and shadowy back alleys. Through it all, ten guilds--crime syndicates, scientific institutions, church hierarchies, military forces, judicial courts, buzzing swarms, and rampaging gangs--vie for power, wealth, and influence. These guilds are the foundation of power on Ravnica. They have existed for millennia, and each one has its own identity and civic function, its own diverse collection of races and creatures, and its own distinct subculture. Their history is a web of wars, intrigue, and political machinations as they have vied for control of the plane.

For the first time, a Magic the Gathering setting is getting an official, fully featured D&D supplemental book

I'm surprised it took them this long, because a number of settings are just perfect for it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Whaaaaaaat

Want it

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    i actually support a kickstarter for dog adventurer models the other day.

it was a good idea.

I wanted to talk about that here but wasn't sure what the rules on kickstarter talk were now

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I think the rule is you can talk about kickstarters but you can't link them, if people care they will look them up on their own

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I think the rule is you can talk about kickstarters but you can't link them, if people care they will look them up on their own

I wanna post the pictures mainly because the models rule

• Options
    I wanna see these illegal dog miniature pictures

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    this was a sting, you're under arrest pip
    you should have asked me if I was a cop

also this kickstarter is EXTREMELY on-brand for you

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

I wanna post the pictures mainly because the models rule

these ones?

OhBNTLbl.png

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Those dog minis are the fucking best, I legit freaked out a lot when I saw them for the first time

Also, speaking of kickstarters — that Trogdor game looks surprisingly well done, I kinda really want to back it but I have so many games I already never play

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    is that an image for ants

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I really hope a cat adventurers kickstarter happens sometime, too

• Options
    yes it is an image for you pip.

• Options
    yes it is an image for you pip.

please crush me

• Options
    6f4f4ce5c44d935c35dbe253ef604060_original.png?w=680&fit=max&v=1531755628&auto=format&lossless=true&s=3d07d2e363e4d5f344c821c7af1a06e9

851aa260961f90c8c74ff2cca7c6e501_original.png?w=680&fit=max&v=1531324516&auto=format&lossless=true&s=9b19178824037b378e5e49743b447993

they are nice sculpts

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Anzekay wrote: »

this seems like as good a time as any to link this blind box figure i got last month

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options

this seems like as good a time as any to link this blind box figure i got last month

truth in advertising I guess

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

It will be interesting to see how much effort they make to translate the mechanics

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    the best part about a Magic the Gathering book is that any of that material can be slipped into an existing game if the GM is cool with it - kinda hope it's regarded along the same lines that SCAG is, a sort of default "yeah it's in"

also it might get me invested in the setting! possibly one of the intentions behind this book, create a larger shared audience between D&D and MtG

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I haven't cared about an official D&D setting since Eberron, so this is very neat

• Options
    edited July 2018
    I love ravnica's world-city aesthetic
    a nice thing about being a MTG setting is there's a ton of concept art sitting around for it
    https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/look-return-ravnica-2012-09-25

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I agree this is cool there are other worlds? of MTg that would be interesting if translated into a D&D format. This is why I feel this is a test bed to see how it plays out

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    As a Ravnica setting fan I'm thrilled

It's a very RPG-able setting and the guilds themselves are clear and flavorful for players to use

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Ravnica also seems very conducive to receiving a 13th Age homebrew treatment with Guild Leaders subbing in for Icons.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    finally, i have make Jace Do'Urden

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Sunbeams and Sleeping

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    so what about instead of archaic vs modern for ranged, it is string vs gunpowder?
    manual vs automatic was another one, but bolt rifles aren't really automatic

Melding on
  • Options
    so what about instead of archaic vs modern for ranged, it is string vs gunpowder?

Trigger vs manual? Like, aiming a crossbow amd aiming a rifle seem similar. Reload is different, but...

Compare to manual stuff like bows or slings.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Trigger vs manual? Like, aiming a crossbow amd aiming a rifle seem similar. Reload is different, but...

Compare to manual stuff like bows or slings.

yeah, crossbows enter this weird area, where in a lot of cases, are they really that different than a rifle?

and in some ways they really are, the don't recoil back for example. in a lot of ways they could be used in either skill house, though i think setting wise i want them to fall more in line with bows and such. they fall more under archery than rifle usage in my brain.

it should also be noted that throwing weapons fall under these skills, like axes and grenades.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

Is this in terms of class breakdown? Skill breakdown? What is the extent of ranged weaponry choices in the game? Does it include thrown weapons like javelins?

I could see a gunpowder vs muscle powered split, more or less.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Is this in terms of class breakdown? Skill breakdown? What is the extent of ranged weaponry choices in the game? Does it include thrown weapons like javelins?

it is a split in skill used to use the weapon. one class includes: throwing axes, javelins, bows, and crossbows. the other includes pocket pistols handguns, carbines, rifles, and other small arms firearms.

larger ones like mounted machine guns would use gunnery.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

My one-shot of Call of Cat-thulhu would have benefited if I'd had great kitty minis. Could have spun off into an actual campaign.

Anyway, I am baffled that M:tG hasn't already been a core D&D camapign world for years. Wizards has been just leaving that money on the table?

• Options

it is a split in skill used to use the weapon. one class includes: throwing axes, javelins, bows, and crossbows. the other includes pocket pistols handguns, carbines, rifles, and other small arms firearms.

larger ones like mounted machine guns would use gunnery.

Nah, that makes sense. Powder or not is a sensible way to break it down.

I would argue that crossbows DO have recoil, it's just barely there (Newton's laws demand it).

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Loud vs Hidden still seems like the divide there to me

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Crossbows definitely have recoil. Bows have recoil. A high enough powered crossbow probably has somewhat noticeable recoil (maybe not compared to a gun but it is still there). There are some things that make crossbow handling unique compared to say a gun, like how the bolt leaps up some fired.

You can see that around the 25 minute mark of this video, for example: (Video also talks about the recoil and the crack sound it makes when firing around 16 minutes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brdCxubvp0M

On Loud vs Hidden: That seems a weird split to me when you've got things like guns that can shoot subsonic rounds with silencers (not sure of Melding's games tech goes that advanced though?) and things like a throwing Javelin which would be hard to use in an effective way that could be described as hidden.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Crossbows definitely have recoil. Bows have recoil. A high enough powered crossbow probably has somewhat noticeable recoil (maybe not compared to a gun but it is still there). There are some things that make crossbow handling unique compared to say a gun, like how the bolt leaps up some fired.

You can see that around the 25 minute mark of this video, for example: (Video also talks about the recoil and the crack sound it makes when firing around 16 minutes)

On Loud vs Hidden: That seems a weird split to me when you've got things like guns that can shoot subsonic rounds with silencers (not sure of Melding's games tech goes that advanced though?) and things like a throwing Javelin which would be hard to use in an effective way that could be described as hidden.

Subsonic rounds through a silencer are still loud in a way that a well dampended bow is not. I could see a split there.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

Subsonic rounds through a silencer are still loud in a way that a well dampended bow is not. I could see a split there.

I think hidden is the term I take more issue with. You can be prone at a long range and be far more hidden with a gun that you could hope to be with a throwing javelin that involves you know, standing up right and running and close ranges.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I can see how hidden isn't a good catch all

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    what archery i've done, which isn't a whole bunch, most bow weapons pull forward before back because of the momentum of the object being fired. rifles is mostly just back with some pull up. i wasn't trying to say crossbows don't have recoil.

anyway, loud and hidden is a really weird split to make, because silencers do exist. While .45acp fired out of short barrel with a supressor is still fiarly loud, it would likely be easier to remain hidden with that that a longbow because you don't need so much room to operate, muzzle flash is usually obscured by suppressors, and the way the muffle sound makes it hard to pinpoint the origin. so while you'd know sooner you have a sniper on you, finding that sniper would take longer.

that is why i figured origin of propulsion makes more sense. if it an explosion hurling metal, or a string hurling metal makes for a cleaner narrative split to me.

This discussion has been closed.