As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Manticores and Manicures: a Well Groomed Table Top Thread.

• Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Bang vs Twang

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    what archery i've done, which isn't a whole bunch, most bow weapons pull forward before back because of the momentum of the object being fired. rifles is mostly just back with some pull up. i wasn't trying to say crossbows don't have recoil.

anyway, loud and hidden is a really weird split to make, because silencers do exist. While .45acp fired out of short barrel with a supressor is still fiarly loud, it would likely be easier to remain hidden with that that a longbow because you don't need so much room to operate, muzzle flash is usually obscured by suppressors, and the way the muffle sound makes it hard to pinpoint the origin. so while you'd know sooner you have a sniper on you, finding that sniper would take longer.

that is why i figured origin of propulsion makes more sense. if it an explosion hurling metal, or a string hurling metal makes for a cleaner narrative split to me.

Yeah, a longbow wouldn't work as well from prone. It would be plenty stealthy from a window or something, but you absolutely have to be able to stand in a way crossbows and guns don't require.

I want to say a short bow can be used from crouching and prone positions though to be sneaky? I don't think the draw is as far for the ones used to shoot from horseback. Could just be art lying to me.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    what archery i've done, which isn't a whole bunch, most bow weapons pull forward before back because of the momentum of the object being fired. rifles is mostly just back with some pull up. i wasn't trying to say crossbows don't have recoil.

anyway, loud and hidden is a really weird split to make, because silencers do exist. While .45acp fired out of short barrel with a supressor is still fiarly loud, it would likely be easier to remain hidden with that that a longbow because you don't need so much room to operate, muzzle flash is usually obscured by suppressors, and the way the muffle sound makes it hard to pinpoint the origin. so while you'd know sooner you have a sniper on you, finding that sniper would take longer.

that is why i figured origin of propulsion makes more sense. if it an explosion hurling metal, or a string hurling metal makes for a cleaner narrative split to me.

Yeah, a longbow wouldn't work as well from prone. It would be plenty stealthy from a window or something, but you absolutely have to be able to stand in a way crossbows and guns don't require.

I want to say a short bow can be used from crouching and prone positions though to be sneaky? I don't think the draw is as far for the ones used to shoot from horseback. Could just be art lying to me.

yeah, from what i understand horseback archery was typically done with smaller bows, because a part of the power of the strike was coming from the horse being faster than your target, so it was a fairly significant increase of power.

but also with the split in weapons i am thinking it is also a split in mindsets, like humans and elves using bows and throwing axes would be thinking about things differently than people using guns. this is in addition to just mechanical stuff. which is kind of why i picked the names i did, because a lot of this is going to be from the perspective of 20th century humans, as they are generally the most common people around.

i'm just not super happy with the names cause if that gets moved away from, then it doesn't work.

the main way older weapons can stay up to snuff is with magic, since they know hot to enchant a crossbow better than a rifle, you can get some mondo cool crossbows, where as rifles you're going to get some basic stuff, but the rifle is also more powerful so it doesn't matter as much.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Crossbows are fun on horseback too.

360 no scope suckas:

main-qimg-dd66e6bcdede5036b2cc6a0ff925276c-c

• Options
    also trying to describe tech level on this idea is weird, because i got it set in the early 80s, but since there was basically a near apocalypse a lot of tech stagnated, and all of world war 2 never happened.

i'm figuring at this point every city has more or less reliable power again. Toronto has the Niagara falls generators back up, plus coal and oil plants in different cities power lines running along train tracks. cars are around, though not super popular, they likely regressed quite a bit style-wise, but also are powered by grain alcohol or something instead of gasoline as oil would be fairly uncommon, more reliable sources of fuel would be required by any hopeful auto industry. the railway authority is likely one of the biggest owners of cars, to run stuff between outposts between scheduled trains.

Telephones are back on the raise. they're not in most homes, but getting a message between cities is getting easier every day.

Television probably isn't a thing though, i could talkies happening.

basically it's a very crude idea of the 40s, but also there's hobbits there.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I mean I dunno if you want to go that way melding, but the original engine ran on vegetable oil before they discovered diesel.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i think a lot of the distinctions between some weapon types are often more about making choices between them feel different for the "game" part rather than the realistic depiction of them

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    i actually support a kickstarter for dog adventurer models the other day.

it was a good idea.

I wanted to talk about that here but wasn't sure what the rules on kickstarter talk were now

What is the kickstarter called.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Animal Adventures: Tales of Dungeons and Doggies

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    I mean I dunno if you want to go that way melding, but the original engine ran on vegetable oil before they discovered diesel.

that also works. huh, diesel car engines are a lot newer than i though. so rolling back to that would probably be a lot easier then i originally thought.
    i think a lot of the distinctions between some weapon types are often more about making choices between them feel different for the "game" part rather than the realistic depiction of them

aye. tat is why i'm kind of going with an old world vs new world theme with them. the only career with both is the basically the weapon master class who wants to master every weapon. over all guns are a more common class skill, because you know, it's 1984. most people using bows and arrows are either from the old world, some kind of weapons purist, or someone who grew up without access to guns and is far better with a sling than a rifle now.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

Just want to frame this post and hang it over every RPG conversation from now until the end of time

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Which one was that?

• Options
    a lot of my cureent writing is place holder to get ideas on paper so i can come back later to finish, but i really like my write up for crossbows.
    Crossbows
    Crossbows
    Crossbows
    Ack!

also it seems some early cars could run on gas, kerosene, and ethanol. so there's options.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    a lot of my cureent writing is place holder to get ideas on paper so i can come back later to finish, but i really like my write up for crossbows.
    Crossbows
    Crossbows
    Crossbows
    Ack!

also it seems some early cars could run on gas, kerosene, and ethanol. so there's options.

A lot of early cars were ELECTRIC :rotate: it was the state of batteries at the time is why they fell from favor of internal combustion
    Also steam

• Options
    lots of options.

but i'm not going to deep dive into cars, nope, i certainly am not.

instead of going to try to devote brain power to gnomes.

• Options
    ElddrikElddrik Registered User regular
    Why devote brain power to gnomes? Why not devote STEAM POWER to gnomes?

• Options
    gnomes would be a clean alternative to coal.

• Options
    ElddrikElddrik Registered User regular
    They're clean-burning and entirely biodegradeable. The only drawback is the expiration date, but even your expired gnomes can be safely disposed of in an environmentally-friendly way.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Steampunk is over-done.

DIESELPUNK is where it's at - just avoid the common route of getting REALLY into German industrialism in the mid-late 1930s like I see so much of online within the genre...

• Options
    Steampunk is over-done.

DIESELPUNK is where it's at - just avoid the common route of getting REALLY into German industrialism in the mid-late 1930s like I see so much of online within the genre...

Dieselpunk is really cool just why it's really around WW2 is one of those curious things and more of well European

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Vehicles are propelled by different energy sources in every town. One draws power from the life essence of the surrounding forests, useless in deserts. Tiny demons in the engine making it run. A series of sails on every train car. Single person with crazy legs pedaling a bike in the front train car.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Vehicles are propelled by different energy sources in every town. One draws power from the life essence of the surrounding forests, useless in deserts. Tiny demons in the engine making it run. A series of sails on every train car. Single person with crazy legs pedaling a bike in the front train car.

Well go check out Dragonmech it's a 3.5 era d&d game that after a certain point tossed the rules out the window
    It's an interesting idea but poorly excuted

• Options
    i do like the idea of an elemental powered train or something. then you don't need the big fuel tank or the car with the coal or whatever. you only have to worry if the demon breaks from its bonds and is Very Angry.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    did someone say pneumatic crossbows

I did

I said that

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    So the paladin has left as expected, and he left behind his magical talking sword of light. Because she's Vecna's daughter and needs to stay with the party, you see. She's pretty demanding, after having been left in a dark sealed tomb for 1000 years she always wants to be lit up (creating bright natural sunlight in a 15 foot radius) and is terrified of being abandoned or left in the dark.

So of course he gave the sword to my drow bard because she's the one the sword trusts the most out of the three others of us. (A low bar)

The rogue came by her room and found her fully covered under the blankets of the bed, hiding from the bright-ass shining sword that had been left in the far corner.

• Options
    i am trying to decide between the normal like lever repeating corssbow, or what this book has as some kind of, rapid fire crossbow, that fires several bolts with one trigger pull. it's like automatic, but not quite?

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Someone already posted a Van Helsing gif, right?

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    My players hit Level 3 so they're getting their Specializations on and our Warlock has decided on the Chain Pact and declared her Imp speaks with the voice of Norm MacDonald and I could not be happier

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Crossbows
    Crossbows
    Crossbows
    Ack!

A lot of early cars were ELECTRIC :rotate: it was the state of batteries at the time is why they fell from favor of internal combustion
    Also steam

There were also designs for engines powered by gunpowder

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

Which one was that?

My bad, it was broad moss by the niepce brothers.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    - Gunman / Gunwoman
    - Gunner
    - Shootist
    - Badman
    - Strider

Oh wait, the class naming's over? Aww.

• Options

Which one was that?

My bad, it was broad moss by the niepce brothers.

Ah, the pyreolophore!

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Played the Dark Souls board game yesterday

Man that game is long. Fun though! Bleed and poison combos are really strong though. Gargoyle Halberd with the Bleed and Poison gems for the Knight, Spotted Whip and Kukri for the assassin, loads of bonus damage!

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

Man that game is long. Fun though! Bleed and poison combos are really strong though. Gargoyle Halberd with the Bleed and Poison gems for the Knight, Spotted Whip and Kukri for the assassin, loads of bonus damage!

In my game the assassin ended up with the fireball spell and the kukri it was pretty devastating. Getting the heal spell on the herald is pretty frickin devastating as well.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »

In my game the assassin ended up with the fireball spell and the kukri it was pretty devastating. Getting the heal spell on the herald is pretty frickin devastating as well.

We learned the value of the assassin dodge-tanking the tougher monsters.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Oh yeah dodge is way stronger against bigger things, for sure. My Assassin was chucking four dice!

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/0786966599/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532274931&sr=8-1&keywords=guildmaster's+guide+to+ravnica
    Explore a worldwide cityscape filled to the brim with adventure and intrigue in this campaign setting for the world's greatest roleplaying game

A perpetual haze of dreary rain hangs over the spires of Ravnica. Bundled against the weather, the cosmopolitan citizens in all their fantastic diversity go about their daily business in bustling markets and shadowy back alleys. Through it all, ten guilds--crime syndicates, scientific institutions, church hierarchies, military forces, judicial courts, buzzing swarms, and rampaging gangs--vie for power, wealth, and influence. These guilds are the foundation of power on Ravnica. They have existed for millennia, and each one has its own identity and civic function, its own diverse collection of races and creatures, and its own distinct subculture. Their history is a web of wars, intrigue, and political machinations as they have vied for control of the plane.

For the first time, a Magic the Gathering setting is getting an official, fully featured D&D supplemental book

Man, I post in some other prominent D&D forums and they hate this.

They hate it with all their passionate fury.

Meanwhile I told my roommate, who very causally plays D&D, the soft-pitch for Ravnica and he thought it sounded cool.

So, there you go I guess.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, I got invited into a D&D 5E game.

They're starting at 3rd level, standard stat array and the party is: a Barbarian, a Cleric, a Fighter, a Ranger, and a Wizard.

I think I am going to challenge myself by building & playing a Mastermind Rogue who can't fight for shit.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    i do like the idea of an elemental powered train or something. then you don't need the big fuel tank or the car with the coal or whatever. you only have to worry if the demon breaks from its bonds and is Very Angry.

the engines on my Party's ship in Starfinder were powered by Plasma Elementals that were bound in thrice-spelled mithril chains

Plasma Elementals are what you get when you really upset a fire elemental

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    also man, we watched Slither last night

which means I have to re-do the whole encounter I had planned for today because it was all body horror

This discussion has been closed.