As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[L5R LCG] Imperial cycle has releases faster than One Punch Man fight scenes.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    On a side note, looks like they've confirmed Worlds/Winter Court will be November 1'st through 4'th.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Also, in case anyone needs to get caught up, CSI is running one hell of a sale. A 3-Core Bundle for $56, single cores for $20, and a Imperial Cycle bundle for $45.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Also, in case anyone needs to get caught up, CSI is running one hell of a sale. A 3-Core Bundle for $56, single cores for $20, and a Imperial Cycle bundle for $45.

I feel like this bodes poorly for the game while it's still so young. I got busy around the holidays last year and dropped out of the game a bit and tried to get back in with the new cycle and it seems like the community has died down a lot.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »

I feel like this bodes poorly for the game while it's still so young. I got busy around the holidays last year and dropped out of the game a bit and tried to get back in with the new cycle and it seems like the community has died down a lot.

I definitely think the game has died down a lot, but I wouldn't necessarily chalk this up to anything more than a clearance sale. Initially there was a TON of hype, like only a 2 year hiatus could generate. Then people got ahold of the game itself and decided whether or not it was for them. And lo and behold, it wasn't for everyone! Which is fine.

No... I'd be worried if the Elemental cycle was on discount.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I could see it as a way to get good will from the community so they buy future packs from them. Getting the triple-cores and Imperial for like a hundo? Well, while I'm here, might as well get some Elemental while I'm here... And it's not the only game they're doing this sale for, there's a bunch of other games as well.

I mean, I used to get all my LCG stuff through them until I shifted over to Team Covenant for my subscriptions.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Oh, that is cool.

The L5R wiki doesn't have much about Hantei Daisetsu from the old fiction. So this is exciting.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    Oh, that is cool.

The L5R wiki doesn't have much about Hantei Daisetsu from the old fiction. So this is exciting.

Well, yes. It wouldn't, under that name. *coughs*

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Oh, that is cool.

Well, yes. It wouldn't, under that name. *coughs*

Yeah, that's what everyone is saying. :)

• Options
    Really, I hope the pair doesn't turn out to be evil. It's a heartbreaking situation, but there is so much potential there.

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    How fucked would I be getting into this game with no background in LCGs?

What are the prospects for this game in the near future?

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Kasyn wrote: »
    How fucked would I be getting into this game with no background in LCGs?

What are the prospects for this game in the near future?

I don't think you need LCG specific experience. I think it's a fun as hell game and FFG fully owns the property so they have a vested interest in trying to make it work since nobody is going to pull the rug out from under them.

• Options
    Well, no one within FFG. We'll see what the investment firms say.

LCGs are really nice from a collectability standpoint: In theory, every pack has everything you need for 1 legal playset. However, there is a glaring exception to this: The starter boxes. For L5R, there is 1 copy of each clan card in the core box, when a full playset is 3. There are not enough cards to field a true legal setup out of the core... so you need 2. What's worse, 1 core just isn't representative of the full game. If you can, try it out with a friend.

Total products at this time, and investment:

L5R Core Box: $40 (currently $20 on Cool Stuff Inc, or 3 for $55).

Imperial Cycle: $15 a pack, 6 packs - severely discounted at CSI right now.

Elemental Cycle: $5 a pack, 4 packs released (with 5 hitting tomorrow and 6 next Thursday).

Clan packs: $20 each. So far, Phoenix is out and Scorpion has been announced.

So assuming all of Elemental is out, the full priced, non-discounted full buy-in would be $320.

There's also a novel for $15, but that contains 2 alt-art cards for the Phoenix (6 cards total, full playsets again).

I've had 3 LCGs I've bought into end -- Netrunner, Conquest, and Star Wars. I refuse to sell any of them, because they are still 100% playable games and I have full collections. In fact, while typing this up I almost talked myself into buying another 3 cores of L5R...

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    I realize that there are layers of strategy/counterplay based on so many of the elements of hidden information in the game, but how out of control does it get with that sort of stuff? I usually don't enjoy games with too many parts of the gameplay being like that, at least without information to make decent inferences without having to 400 IQ hard reads. Is there enough context and feedback to generally understand what someone might be capable of, or do I always have to worry about an utter shitstorm of traps and counters when I make attacks?

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Article up talking about the upcoming finale of the Toshi Ranbo series. Has breakdowns on Favor points, Elemental points (including the top three that each clan voted for), and Glory so far.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    I realize that there are layers of strategy/counterplay based on so many of the elements of hidden information in the game, but how out of control does it get with that sort of stuff? I usually don't enjoy games with too many parts of the gameplay being like that, at least without information to make decent inferences without having to 400 IQ hard reads. Is there enough context and feedback to generally understand what someone might be capable of, or do I always have to worry about an utter shitstorm of traps and counters when I make attacks?

There are 3 main elements of hidden information in this game.

1. The contents of the decks. Naturally, with 2 decks, you never know exactly which each may contain (other than the card types).. but because you can only add cards from one other faction into one of the decks, and the influence count is stated, there's only so many permutations of hidden traps they can get from there.

2. The honor dials. Every turn (and at other points), you bid against your opponent for card draw. This influences honor, and a few other things. It is a bit of a game, figuring out what your opponent will run - especially scorpion.

3. The facedown provinces. There are 5 of these, which can be one of a handful of cards (by deckbuilding, you need 1 province of each ring, with some wrinkles thrown in there). You don't know which province is which until you arrive (representing the fact that you need to actually send armies or scouts to discover that information), and there are definitely traps there... Some are one time uses, others are every turn. But you can plan for it.

I describe the game as having not a ton of moving parts (well, relatively speaking), but a LOT of levers. It is a game of small changes leading up to the end result. You can get in those big shocker moves, but you can stop those if you prepare for them.

Have you watched any learn to play videos or intro videos yet?

• Options

There are 3 main elements of hidden information in this game.

1. The contents of the decks. Naturally, with 2 decks, you never know exactly which each may contain (other than the card types).. but because you can only add cards from one other faction into one of the decks, and the influence count is stated, there's only so many permutations of hidden traps they can get from there.

2. The honor dials. Every turn (and at other points), you bid against your opponent for card draw. This influences honor, and a few other things. It is a bit of a game, figuring out what your opponent will run - especially scorpion.

3. The facedown provinces. There are 5 of these, which can be one of a handful of cards (by deckbuilding, you need 1 province of each ring, with some wrinkles thrown in there). You don't know which province is which until you arrive (representing the fact that you need to actually send armies or scouts to discover that information), and there are definitely traps there... Some are one time uses, others are every turn. But you can plan for it.

I describe the game as having not a ton of moving parts (well, relatively speaking), but a LOT of levers. It is a game of small changes leading up to the end result. You can get in those big shocker moves, but you can stop those if you prepare for them.

Have you watched any learn to play videos or intro videos yet?

I have! The concept of facedown provinces were what gave me a bit of pause. It seems to me like there is enough information to make some good decisions though, I'm just fearful of never being satisfied with the gameplay because of perpetual fear. I do not mind the kind of depth and counterplay and mindgames this sort of thing leads to, I just wasn't sure if there were so many traps and so much variety that things just stayed so uncertain all the time and that it diminished anything.

I've ordered the 3x core set on sale and will be dipping my toe in the water on this one when I get the chance.

• Options
    Perpetual fear is a thing any card game has. The trick is to learn when to be aggressive and when not to be - which takes a while with L5R.

Variety... the biggest thing is knowing that all the clans feature fairly different playstyles and approaches to the core game. Like, my clan (Unicorn) just plays with movement rules on a level no one else can match, and I throw in a bunch of spells to help me control my opponent. That's completely different than my friend who plays Scorpion, whose only goal is to make me dishonor myself and paint me into a corner.

• Options
    If there's any UK-pack here, there's going to be a Elemental Challenge at the FFG UK Nationals.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Oh hey, I just noticed that the RPG Beginner box has a 8/9 release date.

So totally going to be at GenCon.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    So I read a post about Crane honor gain a few weeks ago and decided to give it a shot. This is my current take on the build. It's surprisingly not terrible. But I still feel I'm taking a good ammount of wrong lines, and am trying to still get used to the meta. So far it has a positive W/L ration with a a few turn 2 kills.
    https://www.bushibuilder.com/l5r/deck/?deck=dca789af-8eb2-11e8-9c0e-020c407d2d9d&public=y

Stronghold: Shizuka Toshi (Core)
    Role: Seeker of Air

Dynasty Deck (40)
    Character (31)
    3 Doji Whisperer (Core)
    3 Brash Samurai (Core)
    3 Ikebana Artisan (The Ebb and Flow)
    3 Savvy Politician (Core)
    2 Maya Mystic (Core)
    3 Doji Challenger (Core)
    3 Doji Shigeru (Disciples of the Void)
    3 Fū Sui Disciple (Breath of the Kami)
    3 Kakita Asami (Core)
    3 Guest of Honor (Core)
    2 Kudaka (Breath of the Kami)

Holding (9)
    3 Bonsai Garden (Tainted Lands)
    2 Favorable Ground (Core)
    3 Imperial Storehouse (Core)
    1 The Imperial Palace (The Chrysanthemum Throne)

Conflict Deck (40)
    Attachment (2)
    1 Formal Invitation (Breath of the Kami)

Character (9)
    3 Steward of Law (Core)
    3 Kami Unleashed (Disciples of the Void)
    3 Seeker of Knowledge (Core)

Event (29)
    3 Contingency Plan (Core)
    3 Court Games (Core)
    3 Policy Debate (For Honor and Glory)
    3 The Perfect Gift (Core)
    3 Voice of Honor (Core)
    3 Way of the Crane (Core)
    1 Winds of Change (Breath of the Kami)
    3 Soul Beyond Reproach (The Ebb and Flow)
    3 Waning Hostilities (Fate Has No Secrets)
    2 Display of Power (Core)
    3 Way of the Chrysanthemum (The Chrysanthemum Throne)

Province Deck (5)
    1 Before the Throne (The Chrysanthemum Throne)
    1 Manicured Garden (Core)
    1 Rally to the Cause (Core)
    1 Shameful Display (Core)
    1 Upholding Authority (Tainted Lands)

A Half Eaten Oreo on
  • Options
    And there's the Elements Unbound spoilers, with the new Unicorn stronghold.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    A few general questions as my first sets ship...
    • How well balanced are the clans? Are there any that are relatively competitive/viable against everyone, and are there some that are extraordinarily vulnerable in some matchups but quite advantaged in others? As far as difficulty scale goes, what's the picture there with the clans? What about level of investment for each - are there any with a particularly high or low barrier to entry?
    • I realize it will vary depending on clan, but across the entire game, what's the breakdown on the different win conditions? Are honor/dishonor wins usually relegated to the specific factions that have that theme?
    • Are there any themes/clans that are just kind of fundamentally problematic in terms of playstyle? Do crab games last forever and annoy people? Does everyone hate playing against scorpion players? Is there anything about the game that just fundamentally makes it more problematic to win via lots of small units as opposed to well-equipped big units, or vice versa?
    • Any particularly useful or relevant resources and sites/podcasts/whatever for this game?

May ask more as I think of it.

Kasyn on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    The meta right now is high fate with Scorpion pretty solidly top of Tier 1. But we're also in the middle of a cycle. On the other hand most people don't expect the meta to change.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    How swingy is the meta? Do the monthly packs ever substantially change things? Are they pretty good about power creep in this game?

Edit - Wait, is the six packs in six weeks cycle thing their permanent release model? Is there a gap in between?

Kasyn on
  • Options
    In regards to the release model, no one really knows. I assume we'll probably be hearing some things about the plans going forward at the In-Flight Report at GenCon. There was a long, multi-month gap between the first and second cycle, and we don't know if they're going to do that again so there's a bit of downtime between cycles, or move back towards a more traditional one-pack-per-month release style.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    They've done six in six twice now. I think it's pretty clear that's the schedule they will be using unless sales numbers convince them otherwise.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    my Covenant rings are in.

gTBZy2hh.jpg

I0BMAByh.jpg

QXFYHUyh.jpg

ZZkU9FCh.jpg

jO3tBp1h.jpg

Kg0LUqfh.jpg

... I like.

• Options
    Nice nice nice

... ugh, I should probably figure out what exactly my deck for Friday is going to be. I’m thinking Unicorn/Crab splash, to recycle Yurts to keep Yoritomo high.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Those are hot.

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Gorgeous!

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Wait. Wait. Wait.

...what?

http://www.mini-crate.com/L5R/
    Privateer Press and Fantasy Flight Games announce an exclusive limited-edition collection of miniatures from the world of Rokugan!
    Coming January 2019

...oh, right, I forgot who was one of the heads at Privateer is. Yeah, that totally makes sense.

Togashi Yokuni was announced as the first mini, and the first VIP mini (where if you subscribe for six months at a time) is a Naga Hunter.

WRfRmSh.jpg

Also, new fiction day! Between the Lines.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Ow. Fuck. My wallet.

• Options
    Anyone have any premium fate/honor tokens? I'm seeing some mixed work on Etsy and it looks like the official ones are really limited in supply.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    What would those minis be good for, the RPG?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    What would those minis be good for, the RPG?

Yeah, or other RPGs. There's a big market for just general minis, that are compatible with other games. I'm willing to bet the Naga Hunter is going to be popular.

• Options
    Oh nice, I was wondering what was going on. One of my local stores was quiet on events for a while, and I havn’t been out there so i didn’t know why. It’s because they moved, and their new location is only a 20-minute drive for me instead of 35+. And they’re going to be starting up doing L5R events again, so double bonus.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Ignore the mismatch of the name. That's gonna be a hell of a book.

Also, there was a bit in the Q&A about L5R's release schedule. Originally they were planning on doing it like a traditional LCG -- cycle, deluxe/clan, cycle, deluxe/clan, cycle, etc. However, they are re-evaluating and are planning on getting the clan packs out much faster.

• Options
    In case anyone was wondering, gone 1-2 so far today. Losses against Lion and Scorpion rounds 1 and 2, win against Phoenix round 3.

I may have had Yoritomo and 10+ fate on the board at one time.

persona4celestia.jpg