As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Enter the Gungeon: That's when I reach for my revolver

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Just picked it up this weekend and wow is this a tough game.

Little tip: Flipping over tables gives you about 1 second of Iframes. You can flip a table just before getting hit with bullets or explosions and come out unscathed. I find I'm using this more than actually hiding behind them!

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    You can shoot the chests open. I tend to do that with locked brown chests.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Has a chance to destroy the loot though.

But yeah, I do it too before leaving a floor if I didn't get any keys.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

It almost always gives you junk if you do this

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Don't sleep on brown chests. I find that they like to occasionally give you two things, like a gun and a half-heart or Key, in consolation for their usual contents being weaker.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Also two of the best guns in the game and one of the best actives in the game are brown-chest level.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    does anyone have tips for... (AD&D secret boss spoilers)
    the rat's punchout phase, specifically getting him to drop keys? I can beat the rat pretty consistently but it's a little frustrating to have the next hidden boss gated behind a minigame. I've only ever gotten one key from him and you need two to continue on to the last AD&D boss.

• Options
    I'm gonna be sad when this first-floor chest spawn glitch is patched out of the Switch version. This run I'm currently on has spawned so many unlocked brown chests on floor 1.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The Infuriating Note is aptly named

Neat game mechanic! Make me waste my precious resource, which I bled and nearly died for, for literally a piece of paper that makes fun of me for thinking I was going to get a reward from the treasure box

• Options
    The Infuriating Note is aptly named

Neat game mechanic! Make me waste my precious resource, which I bled and nearly died for, for literally a piece of paper that makes fun of me for thinking I was going to get a reward from the treasure box

Yeah, it's meant to make you hate the Rat and want to unlock his boss fight.

2 less-than-terrible things about the notes:
    You can only get 6 of them ever, after which point the Rat stops messing with your chests.
    They are important for reaching the Rat (there's a clue on their text as seen in the Ammonomicon record

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Been trying to get to one of the secret character's pasts for the past few days, and just been having some jank-ass runs that die in weird ways. Today I got one so laden with insane synergies I had my pick of the litter what to clear rooms with and what to kill bosses with, and it was so strong I couldn't not go to hell. So I'll have to try for the past tomorrow, then.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    And if you have Remote Bullets, it's also decent!

• Options
    Garthor wrote: »
    And if you have Remote Bullets, it's also decent!

Homing bullets and scope also make it quite good. If you get two accuracy ups it's godly.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Almost passed the fourth floor. Literally just needed to get one more shot in and their bullet hit me before mine hit theirs.

Fuuuuuckkk...

Come on.

• Options
    Crown of Guns + Flak Bullets is hilarious.

• Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Almost passed the fourth floor. Literally just needed to get one more shot in and their bullet hit me before mine hit theirs.

Fuuuuuckkk...

Come on.

I made it to the 5th but only because I had the GIant robot dude helper with a laser sword.

• Options
    Disco11 wrote: »

Fuuuuuckkk...

Come on.

I made it to the 5th but only because I had the GIant robot dude helper with a laser sword.

I love how absolutely goofball some of these Gungeon runs can get.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    The stupider things get, the better.

A shell that shoots shotguns?

Turn those goddamn shotguns into homing laser shotguns.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I had the shotgun shell that shoots shotguns that when they hit something shoot shells but also the item that makes enemies shoot more shotguns when they're hit by shotguns

I died because I couldn't tell what was an enemy bullet and what was mine

Also, it seems like every starting character except the marine is bad. Their guns are horrible, except maybe the crossbow. Their abilities suck; the whole game is about not getting hit, I've never seen the dog find anything, and the pilot has never opened a lock (AND if you fail, you can't use a normal key to open it! What?!). The marine has multiple useful abilities and bonus armour, a dead accurate gun, and a reasonably handy active item

• Options
    Yeah, I was initially confused by that but 90% of the enemy bullets are red.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I'm fairly colourblind so that won't be a functional difference for me, sadly

(This comes up a lot in games like this)

• Options
    Yeah, I was initially confused by that but 90% of the enemy bullets are red.

Wait, seriously?

• Options
    I'm fairly colourblind so that won't be a functional difference for me, sadly

(This comes up a lot in games like this)
    Damn.

Sorry to hear that. Yeah, that could get pretty annoying in this one.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I had the shotgun shell that shoots shotguns that when they hit something shoot shells but also the item that makes enemies shoot more shotguns when they're hit by shotguns

I died because I couldn't tell what was an enemy bullet and what was mine

Also, it seems like every starting character except the marine is bad. Their guns are horrible, except maybe the crossbow. Their abilities suck; the whole game is about not getting hit, I've never seen the dog find anything, and the pilot has never opened a lock (AND if you fail, you can't use a normal key to open it! What?!). The marine has multiple useful abilities and bonus armour, a dead accurate gun, and a reasonably handy active item

I've had pretty good luck with the dog, and the Ranger's starter pistol is actually very high DPS (but you have to fire it semi auto, it fires more slowly if you just hold the trigger down [which is dumb]).

• Options
    Pilot has good passives. Lower Shop price and the ability to carry two active items are very good.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Not a big fan of him but the Pilot is really good for starting on the first floor.

He sucks at the start but due to the lockpick, second active item slot and his shop discount, he's one of the characters that can more quickly start accumulating a lot of gear.

Only character I outright hate using is the Convict. Hate her shotgun, don't give a shit about the molotov and the rage mechanic hasn't made much of a difference for me.

All the other characters have something I like but she hasn't grown on me at all and runs with her usually turn out the worst.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    The gungeon streamer I watch (who had a ~250 winstreak active when Supply Drop came out and he called it off) is Marine-only, but it's all personal preference. I despise using starting pistols for bosses so Hunter is my favorite just because of the Crossbow, and her revolver clears regular enemies faster.
    Dog could honestly just run around and be cute and I'd be okay with that.

Convict was the first character I beat hell with, but it's true that all her unique traits are garbage so I don't play her anymore even when I decide to flex off Hunter.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Convict sucks butt. She doesn’t really have much going for her from the start and it’s tougher to get loot with her than the Pilot or Huntress.

The Marine is decent right out of the gate, at least.

• Options
    Everyone pales to the Bullet, though.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    honestly the thing I dislike most about the convict is the *splap splap splap* sound her feet make on the floor

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Enlong wrote: »
    I really want to unlock him.

Probably going to be awhile though. I foresee building
    the bullet that can kill the past is probably going to take awhile.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Meh. Still prefer Hunter. And Robot.

Edit: Contact immunity is probably my favorite part, and that's not enough to carry a character.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I made the dubious choice of rebuying this on Switch when it was on sale. The controls are pretty hard for me to get used to. There's clearly some auto-aim, but it seems like it doesn't really affect the crossbow very much for some reason? Hunter was pretty much the only character whose starting gun I could stomach on PC, but maybe Marine will work out better here. At least until I get more comfortable.

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options

Edit: Contact immunity is probably my favorite part, and that's not enough to carry a character.

My favorite part is Blasphemy.

• Options

My favorite part is Blasphemy.

It was certainly fun to use at first, but after doing like a dozen runs with it I feel it's actively worse than the other starting weapons.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Maaaaaan. I just lost a massive amount of respect for the devs from the Cannon fight. Who the fuck thought that would be fun in any capacity? Like, that's transcendental levels of bad design.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    It was tough, but I learned the way to fight him (largely hanging back out of bat range and waiting for him to do the --blessedly common-- spinning bat move, which leaves him open when the ring is contracted), and I find it doable now.

• Options
    GOt a gun that shoot's guns.

We are through the looking glass here people!

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    There was a glitch on the switch version with the nuke item where you could use it, and keep it, and just keep using it and spamming it, and as long as it killed damaged something it didn't go away.