As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Trailers: A Brief History

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Seal wrote: »
    Have we? There's still like a half dozen Avatar sequels in the pipeline.

hes been trying to get alita made since like 1989

like every major hollywood director he is a gigantic weeb and he has decided to punish us all for our hubris when we asked for anime to be made real : (

obF2Wuw.png
  • NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    If this makes money I wonder if the long talked about Akira live action adaptation is going to be made.

Allegedly after IT2 is done the live action Robotech is supposed to move forward.

NSDFRand on
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    If this makes money I wonder if the long talked about Akira live action adaptation is going to be made.
    Allegedly after IT2 is done the live action Robotech is supposed to move forward.

I eagerly await how the mass movie audience will react to space battles set to the sweet sound of j-pop teen idols.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/w7pYhpJaJW8

We've reached peak James Cameron.

Ah, they finally released this trailer.

I think it was when I went to see Tag, I did one of those extensive trailer surveys where they pull actual moviegoers at my local cinema to the side and you watch the trailer with those special glasses for security/privacy reasons which also tracks your eyes and face for responses, and they wanted to know 20 minutes worth of stuff like your opinion of the trailer and James Cameron and Robert Rodriguez, awareness of the manga and actors and how it stacks up in terms of others movies coming out around the same time (Bumblebee and Aquaman). And I was just complete antipathy towards it, talking about how the trailer didn't do anything noteworthy (the scenes of Alita from 1:34 to 1:40 must have been reshoots because they had the actress with her blue mocap dots on her face, where they sort of went from her bottom eyelid to above her eyebrow to pattern the big eyes), Waltz should be more prominent, and compared to the previous teaser trailer made it look more young adult generic chosen one complete with epic music fam. But it looks like they added her fighting the Ghost In the Shell robot spider at the end there.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

I eagerly await how the mass movie audience will react to space battles set to the sweet sound of j-pop teen idols.

I hope they do Macross and not Robotech, because my default stance is screw Harmony Gold in all things.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Athenor wrote: »

I hope they do Macross and not Robotech, because my default stance is screw Harmony Gold in all things.

They're doing Robotech (but the Macross saga). HG keeps having panels at cons about it, and allegedly Sony is doing it, and allegedly the director is the director doing the new IT movies.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Isn't the future of Robotech pretty much in doubt? The Macross license is coming up in 2021 I think, and HG pissed off the Japanese company they licensed it from.

Nobody wrote: »
    Isn't the future of Robotech pretty much in doubt? The Macross license is coming up in 2021 I think, and HG pissed off the Japanese company they licensed it from.

Yes. I think the idea is to get the movie made before 2021. As far as I've seen the fandom is losing more interest every time a panel is held by HG and all they do is say the same things. And the last few they've even played the trailer for IT as, I'm guessing, a sort of "demo reel" for the alleged director. At this point I think they are trolling the fandom is much as they are trying to keep it afloat so they can sell the newest toys (there's some new Toynami style transformable veritechs, some 6 inch scale IIRC character figures, some non poseable army men style figures, and even some ReAction style figures) and comics until they no longer can.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »

Yes, and I think every Battletech/Mechwarrior fan is waiting for that day.

I would love to see a Battletech movie, with a trailer where the wwaaaaams are replaced with the Startup sequence.

steam_sig.png
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I thought HG actually made it. I can’t recall ever not seeing their logo/title card at the start of an episode, and I used to watch it back in the early 80’s. Shows what I (don’t) know!

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Fawst wrote: »
    I thought HG actually made it. I can’t recall ever not seeing their logo/title card at the start of an episode, and I used to watch it back in the early 80’s. Shows what I (don’t) know!

IIRC Robotech is a Frankenstein monster made from three different anime series, Super Dimension Fortress Macross being one of them, cobbled together to create a multi-generation epic.

and I believe also that the 2021 deadline only covers the Macross content, i.e. anything from the era covered in the first 30-odd episodes of Robotech, so they could technically make more stuff based on that... but that first part is also the one fans like the most, so...

Also, another fun fact I learned looking this up, HG has been using the supposed copyright for Macross to cock block almost any and all Macross from being translated to English and released to the US. (or rather, Tasunoko (the Japanese company that had the original distribution rights to Macross) have been using the legal snarl around Macross and HG to screw over Big West (the actual creators of Macross) by renewing the license to a company they knew Big West would never work with)

So yeah, Screw Harmony Gold.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Holy shit Godzilla trailer. So much coolness. I can't decide if my fave scene is Rodan perched on the edge of the volcano or Imago* Mothra unfurling her wings. Rodan looks to be perpetually on fire or smoldering with an intense internal heat. This is not canon to the original movie incarnation of Rodan, and in that movie the Rodans (there were two) in fact die in a volcano. The 90s Godzilla movies did have Rodan briefly gain heat ray powers though and is called Fire Rodan. Anyway, I'm totally down with this incarnation of Rodan. Toho's kaiju have always had the theme of "walking (flying) natural disaster" and this Rodan is essentially a flying volcano. The shot at 2:07 in particular shows Rodan's skin looking like volcanic rock.

Mothra looks fantastic and her E.T. moment was great. It sells Mothra as otherworldly and imposing yet kind and gentle. I'm a little concerned that we will not get a full view of Mothra in her larval form. I don't want her to do any fighting in larva form, but I would like one full view. I'm interested to see what Mothra does in this movie. She is always portrayed as a heroic defender, being against rampaging monsters like Godzilla, and she is the only monster to ever be concerned about humans in any way. Also, she has never been a powerful fighter. The first time she fights Godzilla, she dies and it's left to her larval offspring to defeat him. In GMK: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack, she dies. In Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. she dies. Godzilla: Final Wars? Yep, she dies. Even in her own 90s spinoff series, she dies in the first movie. Her offspring takes up the mantle and is actually quite powerful but uses straight up magic to fight, very rarely engaging in physical combat. There's no magic in Legendary's Monstervers. Don't be surprised if Mothra gets a heroic sacrifice scene.

Not much is seen of King Ghidora. I'm pretty sure that extremely brief view of a monster's eye in the window is Ghidora. It's not Mothra and it's shape does not fit Godzilla, IMO. Again I'm interested to see what Ghidora is here for and what he does. Ghidora is one of the few monsters to be portrayed as truly sinister and evil. He also has a history of being mind controlled. At the very least, Ghidora definitely has his yellow lightning breath attack which pleases me to no end. Bit of trivia, they are called gravity beams in the old Toho movies, which is both nonsensical and totally appropriate.

After the trailer, I'm actually interested in the story. I mean, I'll totally be satisfied if it's just monster fights, but if it has real characters with actual motivations and stuff, that would be really good. Millie Bobby Brown will probably be good in it, at least.

*Imago: The final and fully developed adult stage of an insect, typically winged.

• halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    About the Battle Angel trailer...

I'm not even angry about it anymore... just sad. It's strange to be so upset about something that has been pretty much adapted into the dirt anyway. It's just the whole eye thing is so dumb. And the rational is even stupider. Oh well, I'm going to re-read Last Order. :(

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Every Battle Angel trailer thumbnail looks like one of those youtuber thumbnails.

Gvzbgul on
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Magicians season 4 - behind the scenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8YHI00c9Mo&frags=pl%2Cwn

I love this show.

You'll be happy to know someone put together the gag reel for all three seasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLr4ItcN5a0

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Fawst wrote: »

IIRC Robotech is a Frankenstein monster made from three different anime series, Super Dimension Fortress Macross being one of them, cobbled together to create a multi-generation epic.

and I believe also that the 2021 deadline only covers the Macross content, i.e. anything from the era covered in the first 30-odd episodes of Robotech, so they could technically make more stuff based on that... but that first part is also the one fans like the most, so...

Also, another fun fact I learned looking this up, HG has been using the supposed copyright for Macross to cock block almost any and all Macross from being translated to English and released to the US. (or rather, Tasunoko (the Japanese company that had the original distribution rights to Macross) have been using the legal snarl around Macross and HG to screw over Big West (the actual creators of Macross) by renewing the license to a company they knew Big West would never work with)

So yeah, Screw Harmony Gold.

Looks like it's all 3. It's just that nobody cares about the other two.

I'm kind of surprised that it's going forward. The latest news on it is that they've gotten Jason Fuchs to write the script, and that was back in September 2017. Either they're going to dump the film out quickly, or they're confident that HG and Tatsunoko are going to renew the agreement.

My face still hasn’t stopped cringing after watching that, I can’t even look at the monitor. He finally learned how to use After Effects and thinks it’s good. A pity awesome for the man who is the best that has ever been.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    who the fuck is Neil Breen?

What was that?

are YOU on the beer list?
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/uVN4QVskNrc

Did you want a sudden death remake with Dave Bautista and Two James Bonds? OF COURSE YOU DID MOTHER FUCKER!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Did you want a sudden death remake with Dave Bautista and Two James Bonds? OF COURSE YOU DID MOTHER FUCKER!

Where's the second James Bond? I only saw Pierce Brosnan.

I thought the british police dude looked like Sean Connery. But I could have been mistaken

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I thought the british police dude looked like Sean Connery. But I could have been mistaken

I did spot someone in there who looked like Sean Connery, but he's not acting anymore, so I figured it couldn't be him.

To be fair Connery has never really acted to begin with...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    who the fuck is Neil Breen?

What was that?

If you watch Red Letter Media "The Best of the Worst", you'll be familiar with his name. Rich Evans has an amazing bit as he tries to explain what the movie Double Down is about (don't think I can link it, cause I think it has some nudity in it, but google it). Anyway Neil Breen makes low budget movies where he is the best at everything and fights corrupt governments by himself (also by killing many innocent people for no reason and with a plot that is incomprehensible).

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular

It's already dated - West Ham have been playing at the former Olympic stadium since 2016! Though a disused (and now demolished) stadium would be a bit easier to film in!

https://youtu.be/s0L290ZVs88

From the guys who watched a lot of guy ritchie movies and said "yes we can do that."

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Blue Iguana looks hella cheap, Crackle cheap, like damn yo that American diner scene looked like they found something in a london scrapyard and just tried to cover the windows up.

Final Score, eh, I'm more interested in Ray Stevenson being in it because he's the best and even though it's cliched eastern european (they were too lazy to even nail down a country so they just say eastern european in the trailer), I'm just gonna pretend it's Stevenson's character from Dexter.

https://youtu.be/al18_cKwktI

The Hunt For Red October part 2

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

lolwaT

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    Well its not literally that, but more like 2 Hunt, 2 Red, 2 tober. Or "Russia has fallen"

Basically this a movie for @TexiKen and no one else.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

Is he mid yawn in that still?

He’s yelling “Fire” because Gerard Butler is more American than Steve Rogers and Winston Churchill and Velma are in the movie too!

(side note: you need to have a last name, Common, you aren’t well known enough to go singular, even The Rock had “the” before he’s moved back to Dwayne Johnson)

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Common is well known. So sweet.

joshgotro wrote: »
    Common is well known. So sweet.

Well he's kind of common.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.