As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're all just doing our best for our [Kids]

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    The youngest was in the shower with the wife. In his 2 years on earth he has not had a bathroom incident in the bathtub, so I guess he figured he was overdue. He shat in the shower. He laid down what the wife described as 'a grown ass man poop'. So she removed him from the shower to deal with it, and he summarily climbed on top of the toilet and shat 'pon the closed lid. At which point she tosses him back in the tub. After cleaning off the toilet she turns to discover that he has shat the tub twice more. Then she texted her dear husband about it, looking for sympathy and commiseration.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    I have tears rolling down my face at work from reading that. Best laugh of the morning.

Sympathies for your wife and all that.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    There was another incident from a few months back, but the poop wasn't in the tub

x9te9k0encct.jpg

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    I have not had this experience yet, but is there not some fortune in that it happened in a shower, and not...not in a shower/diaper?

Certainly it's gross for sure.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    You will clean poop from surfaces in your house that you would never in your wildest dreams imagine could ever have poop on them.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    And then you get to potty training and somehow it gets worse

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Liquid shit is the worst, just squirts out of every opening in their diaper. And the smell. The smell.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    My 2 year old just had a bath with no poo involved for the first time in several months.
    The 4 year old had some diarrhea, so now refuses to poop. I'll give it one more day before trying to make her.
    It never ends..

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Clicked awesome because of your 2 year old, unclicked because of your 4 year old.

Poop is life.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Hey does anyone use an FSA (I think that's the correct letters) to put away pre-tax dollars to pay for childcare? I'm about to run my first nanny payroll and would love it if all this money I'm sending out was pre-tax.

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Hey does anyone use an FSA (I think that's the correct letters) to put away pre-tax dollars to pay for childcare? I'm about to run my first nanny payroll and would love it if all this money I'm sending out was pre-tax.

Pretty sure it is, otherwise the entire FSA setup is totally pointless.

• Options

I have an FSA and yes, it is pre tax.

• Options
    It's pretty simple, right? I'm having husband look into it through his work (my work doesn't offer it). IIRC you do "lose" the dollars you don't spend, correct?

• Options
    It's pretty simple, right? I'm having husband look into it through his work (my work doesn't offer it). IIRC you do "lose" the dollars you don't spend, correct?

FSA you lose the money, HSA you do not lose the money. And if he is Government Service it is very easy to setup. I don't know how easy it is in the civilian workforce.

• Options
    Yeah, most FSA and HSA contributions don't roll into the next year. There can be exceptions. The HSA I had through my last employer had no matching contributions and didn't roll, so I didn't bother. Current employer has an HSA program that rolls yearly, has a 6% matching contribution from the employer, and a direct $200 annual employer contribution. I use the shit out of that.

• Options
    I tried FSA last year, and decided it wasn't worth the hassle.
    Can only put aside $5k, which was a little less than three months daycare for us. I had to wait until December to finish it off to make sure we used all the money. And it required lots of forms.
    I think we saved more than if we got the tax credit instead, but not enough for the work required. Going with tax credit this year.

• Options
    Knob wrote: »
    Yeah, most FSA and HSA contributions don't roll into the next year. There can be exceptions. The HSA I had through my last employer had no matching contributions and didn't roll, so I didn't bother. Current employer has an HSA program that rolls yearly, has a 6% matching contribution from the employer, and a direct $200 annual employer contribution. I use the shit out of that.

I know the Aetna HSA rolls over, but yeah, I imagine it all varies by who you get it through. Combined with the rest of the pre-tax stuff we get, the FSA/HSA is awesome. Some insurers even give you money on your HSA for being proactive about your health. I got $75 tossed on there for having my yearly physical done.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    My fsa admin is relatively easy, the problem is the daycare. It's a pain in the butt having them give me a statement, so I'm probably going to have to get reimbursed all at once instead of monthly (for all of 3 to 4 months).

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Just realized I'm discussing HSA/FSA on the internet. At first I was sad because its proof I'm old, but then I was happy because it meant I know adult stuff and am doing responsible things for my family.

*Looks at kids playing games together, yelling at one another over who gets to play as Luke Skywalker*

"You're welcome, you little ingrates!"

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Holy shit Mallory has suddenly become such a freaking brat. She turns 3 in less than a month and lordy lordy lordy the threenager phase has come screeching in. She won't listen anymore, and when we threaten her with punishment for not listening and then follow through she screeches at the top of her lungs and won't stop.

And God help you if you don't give her exactly what she wants right this second.

3 and a half is worse, prepare youself

:(

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Holy shit Mallory has suddenly become such a freaking brat. She turns 3 in less than a month and lordy lordy lordy the threenager phase has come screeching in. She won't listen anymore, and when we threaten her with punishment for not listening and then follow through she screeches at the top of her lungs and won't stop.

And God help you if you don't give her exactly what she wants right this second.

No, please don't say that. My little "angel" is just over 2.5 now and has turned the attitude meter up a few notches.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »

No, please don't say that. My little "angel" is just over 2.5 now and has turned the attitude meter up a few notches.
    listen, if you want people to lie to you about how great having kids are you're in the wrong forum

it sucks, it gets worse (isaac turns 4 next month and julia is 1.5 right now, kill me), but they give you a big hug and say they love you and it's all worth it

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    @Hardtarget I just had to lie about my dog's name here. You can lie and say my girl won't be a bigger monster in the next 12 months. It's cool. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    realtalk: I actually really dislike how much people pretend child rearing is all roses and perfume. Everybody always lies "oh ya, we're great, no issues" and it sets up such bad expectations for future parents.

It's hard and it's ok that it's hard!

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    @Hardtarget I just had to lie about my dog's name here. You can lie and say my girl won't be a bigger monster in the next 12 months. It's cool. :)

That was important, it was about a dog.

• Options
    Once when I was small, I was given a horse for my birthday. I was asked to name the horse. I named the horse "Pock". I was summarily informed that this was no name for a horse, and my horse's name was actually "Princess".

So on his 5th birthday, my son is given a dog. The Pock Fiasco is still festering in the back of my mind, so I have resolved to accept whatever strange name comes tumbling out of his mouth. I will not be a monster like my parents.

"What should her name be, son?"

"...Ghostbusters"

Oh no.

"Are you set on that one? Does anything else come to mind?"

"Well she's the same color as a penny, how about Penny"

"THANK THE CHRIST, WELCOME HOME, PENNY THE DOG"

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    realtalk: I actually really dislike how much people pretend child rearing is all roses and perfume. Everybody always lies "oh ya, we're great, no issues" and it sets up such bad expectations for future parents.

It's hard and it's ok that it's hard!

Anything worthwhile is.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Parenthood, wherein you sit and ponder if your toddler made that noise or could it be that a rabid chimp somehow found it's way into your toddler's room.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    This last month has been rough on us. The typical night time variation is:
    • Boy won't go to sleep until 1-2 am
    • He wakes up at 4-5am for feeding
    • Girl wakes up at 6-7am and is tired but refuses to rest or nap
    • Girl is a fussy mess around 2pm
    • Girl falls unconscious at 8pm (bedtime)
    • Boy won't take long naps through the day unless someone is holding him

Long story short, we are tired from getting little sleep at night, with me getting 4-5 hours on average. The boy is hitting 12-weeks old on Thursday, I'm hoping his sleep schedule will work itself out and he'll take to sleeping in his crib soon.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Alright... first night in the big girl bed.

A few times we've had to go into her bedroom to 'persuade' her to go to sleep.

Now it's been an hour of silence, so I carefully take a peek.

5z8rgcty9vhe.jpg

Yes, she is sleeping sandwiched between the comforter and... the pillow.

Muzzmuzz on
  • Options
    My 2 year old just had a bath with no poo involved for the first time in several months.
    The 4 year old had some diarrhea, so now refuses to poop. I'll give it one more day before trying to make her.
    It never ends..

Update- #2 was a go. We're good.

But now she refuses to go #1. She has an issue with getting yeast infections, and will do anything to try to not go.

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    @So It Goes I have a dependent care account through my work which is what an FSA for child care is generally called. As @MulysaSempronius said, you can only deduct a max of $5k for the year but it's pre-tax stuff so if your taxes are high enough, it's totally worth it. By using it, though, it means you can only deduct $1000 at the end of the year instead of $6000 (well, probably 20% of that, but whatever). I'm not sure what changes with the new tax law though.

For me, it's totally worth it since it saves me some money through the year and saves a little more than just doing a straight deduction. And since it maxes out at $5k, I usually just ask for 2 months of receipts from my daycare and do a claim for that much all at once. As I get $192 deducted from each of my paychecks for this (basically it's $192 * 26 since it's how many checks I get a year), the claim just pays out until it gets totally filled. I'll do this 3 times a year basically once I realize I'm not getting a payout from my paycheck.

• Options
    We should probably talk to an accountant at some point. The "tax cuts" act is making everything super complicated now. Sigh.

• Options
    This last month has been rough on us. The typical night time variation is:
    • Boy won't go to sleep until 1-2 am
    • He wakes up at 4-5am for feeding
    • Girl wakes up at 6-7am and is tired but refuses to rest or nap
    • Girl is a fussy mess around 2pm
    • Girl falls unconscious at 8pm (bedtime)
    • Boy won't take long naps through the day unless someone is holding him

Long story short, we are tired from getting little sleep at night, with me getting 4-5 hours on average. The boy is hitting 12-weeks old on Thursday, I'm hoping his sleep schedule will work itself out and he'll take to sleeping in his crib soon.

I spent quite a few nights sleeping in my recliner with our youngest resting on my chest. Its not ideal if you have bulging discs in your neck and back, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do so everyone gets some sleep.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Anybody else's kid suddenly become terrified of noises that were "too loud" at around 3 years old?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Anybody else's kid suddenly become terrified of noises that were "too loud" at around 3 years old?

My son has become scared by a lot of things that didn't scare him before. But he's also an emotional terrorist and so I think he's lying half the time.

DADDY IS NOT SCARY YOU LITTLE MONSTER!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited July 2018

Fear as an emotion starts to develop around 3-4 years of age as I recall.

Anya’s not hugely afraid of noises, but other fears developed at that age, yes.

This is why some parents find their youngsters are fine watching TV shows like Walking the Dead... at least at first.

Edit: I’m kind of talking out of my ass, fear is present at all ages but different types of fear develop at different ages.

Janson on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

My son has become scared by a lot of things that didn't scare him before. But he's also an emotional terrorist and so I think he's lying half the time.

n0MTLW8DJUCMP.jpg

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

n0MTLW8DJUCMP.jpg

Boyd isn't scary, he's a businessman Syphon, he gives back to his community.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Knob wrote: »
    Once when I was small, I was given a horse for my birthday. I was asked to name the horse. I named the horse "Pock". I was summarily informed that this was no name for a horse, and my horse's name was actually "Princess".

So on his 5th birthday, my son is given a dog. The Pock Fiasco is still festering in the back of my mind, so I have resolved to accept whatever strange name comes tumbling out of his mouth. I will not be a monster like my parents.

"What should her name be, son?"

"...Ghostbusters"

Oh no.

"Are you set on that one? Does anything else come to mind?"

"Well she's the same color as a penny, how about Penny"

"THANK THE CHRIST, WELCOME HOME, PENNY THE DOG"

Pock is a great name for a horse.

This discussion has been closed.