As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [chat] Who Circumnavigated Fairyland

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    acadia wrote: »
    Anyone have an opinion on fiverr? My first impression is that it's a massively saturated repository of desperate artists and the like, but aside from the likely imbalance of sellers to buyers (and the corresponding insane pricing), I don't know if there's any reason I shouldn't have an account there to pick up random freelance work.

I have never been able to pick anything up. I'm too expensive, also you're going to be dealing with assholes. So its kind of the worst of both worlds?

I've actually at least had decent conversations with people on UpWork.

Both seem like they could be viable, but you'd basically have to make it your full time job to get gigs there.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I did some work on UpWork a few years ago and it was... fine.

But, yeah, both places are terrifying and full of people from around the world willing to work for a dollar an hour and people who think that a dollar an hour is too high.

• Options
    I've seen more of these kind of painted posters lately, am I crazy or does this look more like photoshop filtering on photo composites than an actual Struzemen style painting?

fc7657at4th1.jpg

Same thing with a lot of 8+ color vector illustration posters, the "style" often seems like a real nice illustrator trace plugin.

I dunno, maybe I'm just trying to stick my head in the sand about how good people are at this.

I like to ART
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I wouldn't be surprised if its a bit of both, really. You can for sure see some relatively painterly marks, But it was probably a composition that was composited together from photos first, then painted on/along side of. Still takes a lot of effort to get an appealing result, and using the photos is just a big time saver if its something on brand that's not going to allow for any stylization or likeness is the most important thing.

But, you might be surprised at how quickly people can achieve photo realism if they are well practiced in it and understand light and good edge control.

• Options
    Iruka wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if its a bit of both, really. You can for sure see some relatively painterly marks, But it was probably a composition that was composited together from photos first, then painted on/along side of. Still takes a lot of effort to get an appealing result, and using the photos is just a big time saver if its something on brand that's not going to allow for any stylization or likeness is the most important thing.

But, you might be surprised at how quickly people can achieve photo realism if they are well practiced in it and understand light and good edge control.

My sirens usually go off because they strokes don't track with what I'm looking at, like near Michael B Jordans eyes. They seem more like a texture applied over something. I wouldn't be surprised if that took a solid amount of time fiddling around in texturing and layering and masks, but its not a painted/illustrated piece.

Guess I should learn how to do it...

I like to ART
  • Options
    Theres certainly a general brushstroke that's overlaid on the whole thing, but the strokes in the suit and in some of the hair in place strike me as painted.

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    Sublimus wrote: »
    As a creative, I've always found these shows to be underwhelming. They are by and large CONSUMER shows. "Look at all of this shit you can BUYYYYY".

Pass.

Went to a Schoolism workshop for the first time last year. Way more up my alley. All about creation.

Just my two cents on it. (Though the PAX Prime Dev was OK)

It is very consumer type hoopla on the show floor, but the panels are sometimes intresting creative subject matter. Though I didn't stray from the floor once for the whole weekend, except for one music show.

I always leave PAX extremely rejuvenated in terms of artistic excitement. I mostly hang in the indie section and seeing and talking to small teams about theit passion projects always sparks something for me. True they are selling something, but not in the same way the Ubisoft is hawking a new assasins creed every year.

Also, I finished my comic, and got the proof for it in the mail yesterday. I finished something, and it feels good, even though it took over 15 years. Then I think about that, and it feels less good. I tried to dig up the thread where it originated but I couldn't find it.

• Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    Also, I finished my comic, and got the proof for it in the mail yesterday. I finished something, and it feels good, even though it took over 15 years. Then I think about that, and it feels less good.

Congratulations!
    For what it's worth, I'm impressed at the very least.
    Even as someone who's somehow manages to pay the bills with art, I can't say I'm good at all at making my way through my various mental blocks and hangups to actually follow through on any sort of real personal project of any amount of scope or depth- so anyone that successfully makes it through all that, regardless of how long it takes, gets a ton of respect from me.

• Options
    Thanks man! I guess at the very least I learned a lot sbout how not to get a project done productively! So theoretically all I have to do is the opposite of that.

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Idle thought: Art is like calculus. It all seems so easy when the instructor does it. :bzz:

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    PyrianPyrian Registered User regular
    Art is like calculus: I have no idea what the instructor just did to get from what it was to what it is now.

• Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    Art is like calculus: I can try learn and practice for years and fail to improve 8-)

also hi

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Art is like being in a horror movie: just when you think everything's finally ok and can take a breath, you catch something horrible from the corner of your eye that tells you you're screwed.

Also hey

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    MD your lineart is bangin and it has been so cool to watch you refine your style! : )

Also art is like calculus because you must first learn the rules so that they can be deconstructed and drawn out upon a giant chalkboard because you are a janitor and cannot afford to make it as an artist.

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    This single AC chat thread has lasted 3 entire years, holy smokes!

• Options
    I'm kind of surprised the AC in general is so dead, most people I see are active elsewhere on the forum. Is there something that can be done to foster more community here?

I like to ART
  • Options
    Draw More Butts

• Options
    Butts often work.

This conversation has happened on and off, but the simple truth is that the AC doesn't offer the same through traffic as it used to, so a lot of people post so social media first, and then, eventually, exclusively.

The best thing you can do is keep posting, in my opinion. The only thing that really happened is people stopped. I'm always around, but I try not to be the only person talking in threads, or it feels like "Present your recent art to Iruka so she can say 'Oh neat!' Corner" which is less cool.

• Options
    It's a weird thing where elsewhere on the forum people are intimidated by the high level of skill a lot of people here have.
    Which I get, but I think that's something that can be changed and I don't think this place is as mean as it used to be.
    Personally if I'm posting here instead of a [chat] or my social media its because I'm hoping to get some real feedback. Maybe people are worried that they'll be found here too easily?

As a short term thing it would be great if more people jumped in on Surfpossums thing (assuming he does another one)

I like to ART
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I have at least two other ideas for portrait activities (providing references that have two shots of the same thing but with different lighting, have people do at least one square of a gridded reference then combine them all), but unfortunately the results aren’t very impressive if it’s just the two of us.

I’ll try to put another one together for tomorrow and just power through the awkwardness for a while.

• Options
    I think some of the high expectation of genuine feedback can be part of the problem as well. Some people feel like their advice goes unheard, true or not, and many times artists take that feedback and move on to social media, leaving people who write long crits unsatisfied with the effort. Despite the ACs reputation, it was also the place we all posted stupid bullshit. Without the fun, It has less to offer people who aren't starting out and looking for baseline advice.

Honestly, I've been busy myself lately, but the people who are the most active posters should feel free to just have stupid fun. Even if its just you two passing portraits back and forth, thats better than crickets, and its how community start.

• Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    my website hosting got merged to another company. I'll have to figure out my FTP, but maybe i'll post some stuff in the doodle thread more haha. I post my photos though :P

[edit] got my FTP working!

Sublimus on
  • Options
    wutt about the butts

• Options
    I mean, I guess I could draw a butt tonight

• Options
    wutt about the butts

I think the implication was surf's next thing should be butt related.

I like to ART
  • Options
    If y'all aren't careful, I'm gonna come back and draw pictures all over this place. That'll pep it up some.

• Options
    Iruka wrote: »
    This conversation has happened on and off, but the simple truth is that the AC doesn't offer the same through traffic as it used to, so a lot of people post so social media first, and then, eventually, exclusively.

Let's not forget that a main source for fresh blood coming in - randos who think they're going to hit the big time by making a webcomic about 2 guys who play video games, and then showing it off on a forum for a more popular webcomic about 2 guys who play video games- have moved on to other gaming related get-rich-quick ventures that don't even require the basest appearance of effort, like Twitch streaming.

• Options
    acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    Yeah that's what brought me here in the first place, for that coveted webcomic critique. I got a lot of great advice which pushed me to explore art outside of the context of comics, which might not otherwise have happened. I keep coming back because there are artists here that I mega-respect, and it's probably the most complete collection of my art that exists, so I feel compelled to add to it when I can. I was watching surfpossum's thread, and when I have a few free hours to attempt, I'll probably put an oil sketch up there (haven't played with digital art in a few months -- I moved recently, and my computer is now in a spot with a slanted floor, so my chair is constantly rolling away from everything and it's super frustrating so I'm just basically sketching and oil painting these days).

I also would like to lend my voice to the butts idea. It's a good idea.

• Options
    So I've been messing around with photoshop oil brushes and basically only using the blending brush.

This morning I realized I needed to shift my thinking.
    Everything on the same layer is wet and you make a new layer if you want it to "dry"

I know this is probably really obvious, but it was a fun little lightbulb moment for me.

I like to ART
  • Options
    acadia wrote: »

I also would like to lend my voice to the butts idea. It's a good idea.

So should we make a butts thread or what?

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    Hey, in about I'm going to be visiting San Francisco and Vancouver in about a month's time. If any of you guys wanna catch up PM me

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Reading through some 90's RPG splatbooks, and woof. The art is....sometimes a bit special. Quite possibly farmed out to bored fourteen year olds. Or drunk. Very drunk.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    I love that old 90s art, where the industry wasn't as competitive and some of it is just some programmers/designers notebook drawings. Even though its "bad", its cool to think there was a time where what professional meant wasn't a narrow street with specific parameters.

• Options
    6 months after I was told by several people here and IRL that I should not under any circumstance play Persona 5 because all logic would dictate I would hate it- but I bought it and beat it and loved it because I am a contrary bastard of no consistency I guess.

But now I know the weird position that everyone else was in, where you'd like to recommend it because it's great, but there is no way to actually articulate what the game is like or about, without putting people off it in the process.
    The best unqualified recommendation I can give is, "If you want to see the slickest-ass UI ever put in video game, check it out (then just wait as it gets its claws into you)".

• Options
    I don't know if I'm firing on all cylinders right now, or not. But it feels like I'm firing on quite a few more cylinders than normal, anyhow.

• Options
    Would people be interested in an inktober thread?

I like to ART
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

I'd be interested in seeing it, even if I personally probably won't be able to participate in it.

• Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

I'd be interested in seeing it, even if I personally probably won't be able to participate in it.

I don't know that anyone actually "does" inktober. Everyone just gets 2.5 days in and flips the table because most of us can't spend all day on a "quick thing"

I like to ART
  • Options
    I probably won't this year, a ton of random stuff on my plate, but make a thread for it for sure. I promise one ink doodle.

• Options
    acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    I will also pledge at least one ink doodle, POSSIBLY more.