As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Can't stop the [PHOTO]

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    how do you guys typically share your photos?

and like, from a given shoot, or vacation, or something, how many do you end up sharing to the world?

i'm trying to like, actually be better about doing things with my photos which will help encourage me to do better and shoot more

but not really sure

it would be nice to put x amount online somewhere, and then somehow highlight the ones that were real good (and link to album if wanted people to see more?) use instagram and post a like multi-photo post for each shoot to highlight things? something?

and i know generally i want to cut down to only a few when sharing - so wondering what you guys tend to do?

poo
  • BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    If I'm shooting a bunch of photos, say, at an event or vacation or something, I'll individually edit a few of my favorites and give them their own individual posts on Facebook, maybe group similar pics into a few album posts on instagram (say, if I take a few shots of one car at a meet, or a few different cars but the same manufacturer - stuff like that). Then I batch edit the whole lot and dump them into an album on Facebook for anyone who cares.

I raided my boss's empty warehouse with a Rocket Bunny GT86 and an LED wand a couple days ago:
    41149644064_57af01dfe2_c.jpg

Blakout on
    edited May 2018
    I'm just gonna keep double-posting until you guys post more :surprised:

Finally got around to editing another shot from the set above. This is actually the only shot I had really planned out - I was planning to use a fog machine behind the car and light it red with my LED wand, but the machine wouldn't turn on so I had to add smoke in post. I'm not entirely happy with this shot and I can't quite place why yet, so I'm just gonna sit on it, stare at it, and make almost entirely unnoticeable small changes to it until I get sick of it.
    41954674821_161ecbfda0_c.jpg

Blakout on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Edit: Sorry meant to respond to this @Shazkar Shadowstorm !
    how do you guys typically share your photos?

and like, from a given shoot, or vacation, or something, how many do you end up sharing to the world?

i'm trying to like, actually be better about doing things with my photos which will help encourage me to do better and shoot more

but not really sure

it would be nice to put x amount online somewhere, and then somehow highlight the ones that were real good (and link to album if wanted people to see more?) use instagram and post a like multi-photo post for each shoot to highlight things? something?

and i know generally i want to cut down to only a few when sharing - so wondering what you guys tend to do?

I guess it really depends on what the purpose of the photography is. If it's an event or candid photos with family I'll try to capture as many different people/areas/events/artists/details as I can - creating an album with a lot of varying photos, not all are great - but people tend to enjoy the sentimental aspect of a photo. It can trigger a fond memory for them. On media outlets such as flickr and insta I tend to only post photos that I'm really happy with and stand out to me. Normally I can tell right after I've taken a photo if it's going to be a good one, but there's always a rare surprise. Otherwise I will post some here and there for feedback's sake, which can also be very important. If it IS just to share with friends and family I'll make a private album on flickr and share more than I would share publically.

That first one turned out great @blakout. Good background with the warm lighting coming through the warehouse windows and the cool color in the foreground. Really I like the idea of the second one as well. Maybe some color in front of the car would balance out the red in the background - the red is just seems too overwhelming compared to the front.

I know I mentioned Nick Fancher before, and wouldn't mention this again, but it's too relevant to your using color not to mention. He just came out with an ebook that is incredibly good (and I'm only about 1/3rd of the way through it). I don't think Color Theory is talked about enough in relation to photography. I've picked up some more knowledge over time on my own (mostly thanks to the incredible resources the artists supply on this forum). But, basically I'm recommending this book to every photographer I'm coming across now. Especially when it comes to using color. You can find it here if you're interested (and you can preview the first chapter on color theory in there): Chroma: A Photographer's Guide to Lighting with Color

I just did a Maternity photo shoot for some friends - which is totally not usually my field of expertise. But my good friends wanted some weird/fun maternity photos that weren't the normal "Sunshine in a dreamy field" and I'm all about weird photo shoots so I bounced in. Will post some photos soon so you don't have to keep double posting.

Prospicience on
    edited May 2018
    Edit: Sorry meant to respond to this @Shazkar Shadowstorm !
    That first one turned out great @blakout. Good background with the warm lighting coming through the warehouse windows and the cool color in the foreground. Really I like the idea of the second one as well. Maybe some color in front of the car would balance out the red in the background - the red is just seems too overwhelming compared to the front.

I know I mentioned Nick Fancher before, and wouldn't mention this again, but it's too relevant to your using color not to mention. He just came out with an ebook that is incredibly good (and I'm only about 1/3rd of the way through it). I don't think Color Theory is talked about enough in relation to photography. I've picked up some more knowledge over time on my own (mostly thanks to the incredible resources the artists supply on this forum). But, basically I'm recommending this book to every photographer I'm coming across now. Especially when it comes to using color. You can find it here if you're interested (and you can preview the first chapter on color theory in there): Chroma: A Photographer's Guide to Lighting with Color

I just did a Maternity photo shoot for some friends - which is totally not usually my field of expertise. But my good friends wanted some weird/fun maternity photos that weren't the normal "Sunshine in a dreamy field" and I'm all about weird photo shoots so I bounced in. Will post some photos soon so you don't have to keep double posting.

Thank you! I agree that the red in the front shot is a bit overwhelming, I played around with a few ways to help balance the composition (including adding some color to the bottom) but couldn't find a solution I liked. I'm just gonna move on from it and keep it in mind for future shots.

I've been following Nick Fancher since you first mentioned him, although I somehow completely missed his book. I'll definitely be picking it up sooner or later, the 'preview' chapter on Amazon is already very interesting.

I went to a track day with my cousin yesterday and snapped a few shots. I need to improve my panning and invest in some better glass to do this sort of thing - I mostly used my old Tamron 70-300 f/4, which would have been alright-ish if it wasn't broken. A few years ago, it somehow rolled out of the camera bag and underneath the seat in my car, and managed to wedge itself underneath a seat rail. It put a small dent/crack in the edge of the lens; it's not noticeable in photos, but the focus system is all jacked up now (manual focus doesn't work at all, and autofocus partially works below ~200mm but not any higher), so I had to try to find the spot it was getting in focus and hope I could pan/catch the cars as they passed. I want to just bite the bullet and get the Canon 70-200 2.8 that I've been wanting for awhile, but, money.

42129414801_93d6014c8c_c.jpg

28257278548_9425a456c6_c.jpg

42083425892_eb3c1043c6_c.jpg

28257277898_66950a9aec_c.jpg

Blakout on
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    Car photos!? Cool!

Haven't been out shooting much :( Here is one though! Weather conditions were a little boring, but I'll be back.

28215825868_05c6608a91_c.jpgDSC_6371 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

edited May 2018
    I think it works very well even with the 'boring' weather conditions - great composition and an extremely tranquil vibe.

I've still been slowly editing the pics I took of that GT86. I'm reasonably happy with this one - (almost) all colors were captured in camera by walking with the LED wand while a friend changed colors from the mobile app. I made the reflections on the car a little stronger but, aside from some minor saturation adjustments, didn't change the actual colors much at all.

41272733115_2675b350fc_c.jpg

Blakout on
    Thanks @Blakout !

Love those colors! and I love that you put the work in to capture them in camera! Looks fucking awesome.

As much as I love Liam Wong, all his cool colors are fake. (Yes there is a place for that, I just appreciate the work involved in getting them naturally.)

edited May 2018
    Thank you! I wasn't even aware of Liam Wong - I really, really need to branch my influences out beyond just automotive photographers, ha! Looking him up, I love his aesthetics though.

On that topic, who are some photographers (in any area) I should be following? I just regained interest recently and, like I said, I've mostly cornered myself off in the automotive realm so I'm not aware of much of what's happening outside of that.

And, last thing, I had a few people elsewhere ask about the process for that last shot I posted, so I combined a couple straight-out-of-camera shots with the final, if anyone finds that interesting (looking at this, I desaturated/lightened the colors more than I realized)
    41289943305_eff048e7ef_c.jpg

Blakout on
    I don't shoot portraits very often, and I certainly don't shoot myself, but I've been looking at a lot of Nick Fancher's work and had some early-morning motivation to experiment so I did both of those things.
    42277348281_448574366f_c.jpg

• KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Nice! Love those rim lights :D

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any advice for working with an old Rangefinder camera?

• Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    What kind of advice are you after? I don’t shoot rangefinders myself, but if you’re after advice about shooting film in TYOOL 2018, I might be able to help.

What kind of advice are you after? I don’t shoot rangefinders myself, but if you’re after advice about shooting film in TYOOL 2018, I might be able to help.

I use one now and again, but second what Baron asked with what kind of advice you are after.

A few recent ones. Mixed thoughts on them, but mostly happy? I usually can't tell how I feel about my stuff until like, much later haha.

27850669707_b9b117c9cf_c.jpgDSC_6501 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

42001952294_baa31572ef_c.jpgDSC_6640 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

27992071607_984f78c4f2_c.jpgDSC_7073-Edit by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

41960005175_7184e9f0ae_c.jpgDSC_7402-Edit by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    I love these. The scale is incredible. The third one in particular is just so wildly expansive, I really like it.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
    edited June 2018
    I love the skies too - perfect amount of depth and texture without being too much or looking unnatural.

e: seriously the sky in that first shot is absolutely perfect.

Blakout on
    edited June 2018
    The third and last are my favorite, although since you pointed the tangent out on IG, I can't unsee it haha.

@blakout forgot to mention - great self portrait man, absolutely nailed the lighting! Looking forward to more of your playing with lighting. Just finished a few rolls of film on my rolleiflex that I'll be getting developed in the next week. One roll of which I decided to play with some colored gels on, excited to see if I got anything good with that one.

Prospicience on
    Aw, thank you everyone for the kind words!! I was worried I over-sharpened some of them, but no one's complained about it?

Please please let me know if you ever think I'm over-editing some of these. (I'm always scared that I am.)

@Sublimus I don't think there was any oversharpening - I could be biased in that I sharpen my photos quite a bit, but I try to be tasteful in mine also - and try to not overdo it. Thumbs up from me, I just thought they all looked nice and crisp.

Update on my portra 120 rolls with the colored flash gels - looks like I tried to bounce the flash too much and didn't get my subjects bright enough. Should have figured as much since it's Portra 160 and not 400 ISO. Bummer, but I believe I have learned my lesson.

Landscapes didn't turn out too badly though.

29075265278_dbc6ccdfbb_c.jpg

42046178405_743ebd2886_c.jpgBarker

29075265588_5e3b432bc9_c.jpgTake it

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    I'm sure there's a technical term for it or whatever but I really dig the mirrored symmetry business you've got going on in the 2nd one. It's pretty inspiring!

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    Whitney, I really like the last one. I'm on my phone so I can't really say for certain but it looks like the white clipped in the center of the sky. Maybe try bracketing next time and compositing just the blown out portion?

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    @CommunistCow Agreed! I blended in a second exposure, but got a little sloppy with my edit (still new to exposure blending and luminosity masking). I might be able to recover some of those highlights if I go back and try again.

@Prospicience Love the film shots! Film just has such a unique look.

edited July 2018
    Finally took some pictures. Standard NYC Guggenheim stuff
    42215436065_a8489b796c_b.jpg
    Guggenheim gift shop by Communist Cow, on Flickr

42215436305_aa83bc9285_b.jpg
    Guggenheim atrium2 by Communist Cow, on Flickr

43120013201_c1692f6e0b_b.jpg
    Guggenheim archp by Communist Cow, on Flickr

43120013041_54beba40c5_b.jpg
    Guggenheim atrium by Communist Cow, on Flickr
    I was a moron and left my DSLR in my hotel room so I just have these cell phone pictures.

CommunistCow on
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    The Guggenheim is probably my favorite building in the city. Great shots.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    edited July 2018
    Oh and Lion King

42216886805_425e98f4ae_b.jpg
    Lion King by Communist Cow, on Flickr

CommunistCow on
    Some damn good cell phone pictures @CommunistCow, damn fine indeed. I've nabbed a few really good ones on mine also. Pretty awesome how capable cell phone cameras are nowadays.

edited July 2018
    And of course a fair amount of editing in snapseed and/or photoshop. :biggrin:
    My wife has a 1st gen Pixel and I wish I had that quality camera in my phone. I usually buy midrange phones in the sub $250 area. Having an awesome camera is the only thing I envy about the $600+ phones, but don't envy it enough to spend the extra $400+ on it.

Ok, going more off-topic: What the hell other options does a $600-800 phone offer that makes it really worth the 2-3x cost? They are a little faster and have more storage? I don't know what people are doing on their phones that they need that extra processing power. Do phone games just not run well on mid range phones?
    KIDS THESE DAYS!?
    GET OFF MY LAWN

CommunistCow on
    edited July 2018
    Hey still looks good despite being from a mid range phone and using photoshop :D.
    And honestly, no I don't think anything justifies the extra money besides the camera. Just got a samsung s9 - first time switching off an apple phone, because I was tired of them being incapable of use after 2 years old. And tbh I'm a bit dissapointed, the camera is good - great dynamic range when shooting and great colors too, not to mention it does take some incredible video. But, besides that - no I don't think it's worth the money. Probably the last expensive phone I'll buy. The only justification I can see is maybe if you run servers/are in the IT business and control a lot from your phone. But, even then I feel like you could do it with a mid range phone. That's not my cup of tea though so I could just be blowing smoke.[/spoiler

Prospicience on

I'm still on an iPhone 6 I got when it was new. I would LOVE to have the fancy cameras Apple puts in the huge phones, but I don't want a huge phone, so fuck me, right? iPhones have been able to shoot in RAW for a while now, but I'm doing my best to hold out until they put those cameras in a normal sized phone.

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Took some shots here in Seoul on a little morning stroll. Only instagramed at the moment, as my personal laptop with LR on it is back home state-side.

edited July 2018
    I need to get back to South Korea, really loved being there. Would love to see Seoul though, definitely a bit jealous. Want to see more!

In my head I keep loving your lion king mask over and over CC, lighting on it is perfect.

Prospicience on
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I need to get back to South Korea, really loved being there. Would love to see Seoul though, definitely a bit jealous. Want to see more!

Not sure how long ago you were here, but I used to live here in the mid-00s, and the change in some places is pretty astounding. Itaewon in particular is a totally different beast.

Hoping on my way back through next week to hit my old neighborhood in Anyang. I expect to recognize nothing. :)

oldmanken on
    The third and last are my favorite, although since you pointed the tangent out on IG, I can't unsee it haha.

@blakout forgot to mention - great self portrait man, absolutely nailed the lighting! Looking forward to more of your playing with lighting. Just finished a few rolls of film on my rolleiflex that I'll be getting developed in the next week. One roll of which I decided to play with some colored gels on, excited to see if I got anything good with that one.

Whoops - a little late on this but thank you!

I haven't gotten to shoot much lately but my friend and I went for a quick cruise in his Miata yesterday and snapped a few shots. We found a pretty neat spot that reminded me of Forza Horizon, so I used that as inspiration for the edit. I wanted to try some different techniques so I pushed the color grading a lot further than usual, and I've been wanting to try a 'fake' rolling shot for a while but just haven't had a good chance until now. I'm not 100% happy with the result but it was certainly fun to play around with.
    42587301964_3cd4b1d313_c.jpg

I'm not sure I've said this enough, but I love your car photos. I always wished I had gotten into some of that.

edited July 2018
    Thank you! I wish I could do it a lot more often than I do (this goes for photography in general, really).

Here's about half of a speed edit of that shot if you're interested - I wasn't happy at all with the results at first so I redid a lot and forgot to record it. I don't know if these are particularly interesting or if they just show off my horrible/disorganized workflow, but I enjoy at least having something to point to when people tell me my camera takes great pictures :P
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poiUpAQ2SHE&feature=youtu.be

e: In one of the better decisions I've made with my life, I put a Solaire sticker on my fog light:
    43394325831_9a85c4fcdc_c.jpg

e2.0: Finished editing the Miata set.
    43426990402_4f889bc252_c.jpg
    42758719144_506ca6b9ca_c.jpg
    43426990222_7f74613eb3_c.jpg
    42758718984_ee3d59b342_c.jpg

Blakout on
    Some recent drivel

41765770090_6d6101717f_c.jpgDSC_8850 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

42668670725_5fbdf4bdb0_c.jpgDSC_8547 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

43573698831_0a6543f042_c.jpgDSC_7569 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

One more! Finally through my photo-edit backlog and I'm all caught up!! WEEEEEE

43625908261_692773a5cb_c.jpgDSC_5127-Pano by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

Also, the city of Seattle should cut down those damn trees. :P

• KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Took some shots of the blood moon eclipse tonight - here's a few hastily developed ones:

2018-07-27-IMGP5458-small.jpg
    2018-07-27-IMGP5467-small.jpg
    2018-07-27-IMGP5468-small.jpg
    2018-07-27-IMGP5477-small.jpg
    2018-07-27-IMGP5480-small.jpg
    2018-07-27-IMGP5483-small.jpg
    2018-07-27-IMGP5490-small.jpg

Have any of you tried some astrophotography? I'd love to get into it a bit. These are my very first attempts, and conditions were pretty suboptimal. Close to the city, so lots of light pollution as you can see... my tele lens is also pretty crappy (Sigma 70-300mm), should invest in a proper one sometime.
    What was good is that my new massive tripod with geared head seems to have been well worth the investment - that thing stood rock solid, and the geared head is a pleasure to use.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any astro pointers if you have them!

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.