As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Official Bug Identification Thread Starring Arch, Bugboy, and Fiendishrabbit

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Swamp cicada. Probably female (I think the butt is pointy enough to indicate a female?).

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    That's a cicada, yep!

• bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    You guessed it

Yh6tI4T.jpg
    Although 3-4 inches is...uh. A bit larger than Swamp cicadas normal size, which is generally "inch"-sized. Like this darling.
    1825901_orig.jpg

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    cutie! awesome wings

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    speaking of cicadas, saw our cicada killer out tonight., those guys are badass looking

camo_sig.png
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I just moved a few weeks ago.

Found this thing this morning.

What is it?

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I just moved a few weeks ago.

Found this thing this morning.

What is it?

Looks weevil-ish?

How big is it?

Definitely a weevil of some kind. But you know. 100,000 different species

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Do weevils always mean nuking your kitchen and starting over? Or are they sometimes there for something other than all your carbs?

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    I'd say maybe 6 to 8 mm.

That photo is it on a CD case.

I was leaning some kind of weevil too, just hoping it isn't too invasive of one. I gotta spray some bug spray around my windows and baseboards in the new place still.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    ... I thought it was a drawing of boobs. And then maybe eyes.

chromdom wrote: »
    ... I thought it was a drawing of boobs. And then maybe eyes.

I mean it was signed by the goblin from nekrogoblikon... could be either honestly.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    Do weevils always mean nuking your kitchen and starting over? Or are they sometimes there for something other than all your carbs?

All your carbs is the preferred option. The ones that aren't after your carbs would be eating the furniture.

so what kind of pillar is this?
    we have seen him dangling off our neighbors trees twice now.

It is amazingly difficult to focus on him

lWbVTC0.jpg
    z6GG8LK.jpg

extra scruffy, with two bright orange "antennae" mostly light green

camo_sig.png
    1. It's a moth.
    2. Probably a tussock moth.
    3. I'm thinking Pale tussock moth?

edited July 2018
    eh, looked a picture of one and while they both look disheveled, the coloring doesn't seem to match

though the sycamore tussack looks like it might be it

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Was picking blueberries this morning and found two crazy things. First one is some kind of caterpillar. Second one seems like a caterpillar but not sure what the small white things on him are. Actually Instagram reversed the order. Any ideas?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    pretty sure they're eggs that will hatch and devour the caterpillar

possibly some kind of wasp eggs

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Save the caterpillar, wasps are terrible

• OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I've read that the parasitoid wasps are actually benign for people. They practically never sting, and the prey caterpillars can be a significant pest.

But yeah, it's gross.

• MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    white eggs are most likely braconid wasp eggs. parasitoids!

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Wife googled the green guy based on the wasp mentioned. Looks like a tomato horn worm which apparently can eat an entire tomato plant in a few days! So I guess I side with the wasps on this one, blueberries are delicious.

Any idea on the things in the second picture? Baby tomato horn worms?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I don't think we can see the image without clicking through. But some kind of Datana caterpillar?

Azalea caterpillar: http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/orn/azalea_caterpillar.htm (Southeast US)

Yellow-necked caterpillar: http://www.carolinanature.com/moths/datanaministra.html (Eastern US)
    - A second website notes that "This insect is also destructive on the foliage of blueberry, apple, and other fruit trees."

• BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Xaquin wrote: »
    pretty sure they're eggs that will hatch and devour the caterpillar

possibly some kind of wasp eggs
    ceres wrote: »
    Save the caterpillar, wasps are terrible

Unfortunately, it’s too late to save the caterpillar. Those are wasps, but wasp cocoons, not eggs. I’m going to spoil the rest of the explanation for people who might find it unpleasant.
    The eggs are injected directly into the body of the caterpillar by the mother wasp. When they hatch, the larvae feed internally until they’re grown, then exit through the skin to spin their cocoons. By the time you can see evidence of the parasitism the damage is done and the caterpillar doesn’t have long to live.

The wasps in question belong to the family Braconidae (one of many parasitic wasp families) if anyone’s interested. (E: i see that Maguano pointed this out first)

It’s a gruesome lifestyle, but these wasps are absolutely essential both for nature and for agriculture. They keep herbivore numbers down and prevent them from totally running roughshod over plants.

BugBoy on
    Well.. Okay. If they aren't the kind that Satan spawned and they eat tomato hornworms I guess I'm on board. Those are terrible too.

Orogogus wrote: »
    I don't think we can see the image without clicking through. But some kind of Datana caterpillar?

Azalea caterpillar: http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/orn/azalea_caterpillar.htm (Southeast US)

Yellow-necked caterpillar: http://www.carolinanature.com/moths/datanaministra.html (Eastern US)
    - A second website notes that "This insect is also destructive on the foliage of blueberry, apple, and other fruit trees."

It's the second, and that blueberry bush is a gonner, because yellow-necked caterpillars will strip it bare in no-time.

Hopefully that was the only group of them. I removed them. That blueberry Bush is at least fifteen years old.

They weren’t really moving much when I found them although they had stripped their branch of leaves. Could they have been hit by the wasps?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

edited August 2018
    That seems like a huge number of them for there not to be more around.

ceres on
    edited August 2018
    pWpCh8M.jpg

another one

google thought mayfly, but doesn't seem right to me.

snakefly?

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Thread waisted wasp?

• Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    How do I kill lots of ants if we can’t find the nest? They are everywhere in my house and I want them dead. We’ve been looking for the best but are pretty sure it’s under the house. One by the front door one by the back door. We are on the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia and they seem to be regular black ants.

edited August 2018
    Mom2Kat wrote: »
    How do I kill lots of ants if we can’t find the nest? They are everywhere in my house and I want them dead. We’ve been looking for the best but are pretty sure it’s under the house. One by the front door one by the back door. We are on the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia and they seem to be regular black ants.

Have you tried traps? If yes, have you tried a variety of traps? I had german roaches dig in pretty hard; had to try a few different, and ostensibly equivalent, poisons before I found the magic bullet which that community responded to.

It was a little unsatisfying in that the successful result was that they were simply never seen again; and I try not think about what became of the bodies.

(Answer: Decomposed to dust and in my lungs, probably!)

Edit: Alternatively, there are ultrasonic devices you can stick in a wall socket that claim to keep ants out. We had some growing up after the exterminator failed to do so. They seemed to work.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Sprinkle or spray poison or traps around wherever they seem to be coming in and/or congregating is the general strategy. Poison can range in toxicity/efficacy from celite/borax on up to the nasty stuff, depending on what you're comfortable with.

• BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    E.Coyote wrote: »
    Thread waisted wasp?

Yup, agreed.

We had good luck with the Terro traps. It’s an open tray of poison. Ants come and fill up with it go back to the nest and feed it to each other. Can’t really use it with kids or pets though.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    We had good luck with the Terro traps. It’s an open tray of poison. Ants come and fill up with it go back to the nest and feed it to each other. Can’t really use it with kids or pets though.

Yeah one trap is not enough to fill up a kid, and those things are expensive.

I'm going to claim possible success with diatomaceous earth against our ants.

• Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    Thanks guys. Got borax and traps down gonna see what Rona has for more nuclear options.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Was hard to get him in focus, he was so little, bout the size of my thumbnail, and took off after I took the picture, but he was a cute little colorful guy
    6hpcsbem3gba.jpg

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Fun fact: Jumping spiders never actually move more than one body length, they use their pedipalps to "pinch" the space around them and simply step across the fold.