As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Party Thread

BomanTheBearBomanTheBear Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in PAX Archive
Anyone want to tell me what Sealab is (aside from the show)? Is it a party or something?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BomanTheBear on

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Well, last year Sealab was supposed to be a after PAX hotel party with lots and lots of booze. Instead, it turned into a giant mess that get everyone kicked out of the Crowne Plaza before the concerts even got out for a variety of reasons, including:

*The rooms being way way way way too small
    *Some asshole who has yet-to-be-killed announcing the location of the invite-only party during PAX
    *People getting let in too early (granted, I was amongst that group too)
    *Minors who couldn't handle their booze or shut the fuck up
    *Crowne Plaza threatening to call the cops for the above

Needless to say, a lot of people were pissed off, like the people who came out of the concerts who didn't know the party died a half hour before, or the people who spent lots of time and money on booze specifically for Sealab (like BigRed).

Not sure if you'll be able to get any more information about last year's out of anyone else, since it's kind of a sore subject that can only be described as an "unmitigiated clusterfuck".

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    whypick1 wrote: »

*Some asshole who has yet-to-be-killed announcing the location of the invite-only party during PAX

The Friday night party was open to everyone not an invite only.

They people running Sealab were pretty adamant about checking IDs at the door. I was at the concert at the time so I have no idea if the guy letting people in early was checking but they had plenty of reason to check IDs and not a single good reason not to.

Now that the facts are cleared up try to keep the thread from becoming another "ZOMG Sealab" flame war cause Moe probably won't be happy closing a third thread about it and telling all of us to stop bringing it up.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BomanTheBearBomanTheBear Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Well, was it set up by forumers? Also, I can't imagine a flame war about a party. I've seen some shit go down at major parties at school before, but not enough to cause problems. That's too bad, though, it's always a horrid bitch to see perfectly good parties get derailed.

BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It was a set up by some of the Forumers, and it was to be a good time by all. But someone told someone, who told two, who told four. And so on. And there was a few people making bad noise about the party being shut down. I'm sure that next year, Moe will have something worked out. So this doesn't happen again.

Highfire on
  • Options
    KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Highfire wrote: »
    It was a set up by some of the Forumers, and it was to be a good time by all. But someone told someone, who told two, who told four. And so on. And there was a few people making bad noise about the party being shut down. I'm sure that next year, Moe will have something worked out. So this doesn't happen again.

Uhm, it was NOT word of mouth that caused massive amounts of people to converge upon the Sealab hotel room. It was DoNotPursueLuBu who walked around with a large sign at the Convention Center for SEVERAL HOURS advertising what room number and hotel the party was in. He did this WITHOUT the permission of any member of Sealab.

Therefore the "Invite-Only" party was shut down before it started due to large numbers of uninvited people showing up, lots of noise, and the hotel threatening to kick Sealab out of their hotel room. Basically anyone who had been invited got screwed over by LuBu, because there was no way they would have known the party was cancelled until they showed up with bags of booze and denied entry.

Anyway, in response to the original question: Sealab is a kick ass group of people. The Party at Sealab Party was an awesome, pre-planned hotel party that crashed and burned due to one person being an utter douchebag idiot.

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • Options
    b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    that sums it up pretty well, yeah.

b0wser on
  • Options
    BamboozaBambooza Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh to think that was merely the start of that night of being kicked out of hotel rooms as the party moved forward. I have to say that all in all the hotels handled the noise violations pretty civil; we just need to find a way to truly have this epic party in 08.

Bambooza on
    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I showed up too early (my mistake) but then I went back to my hotel to wait for the party to begin. When I returned to the Crowne, people were outside talking about how the party was canceled/shut down.

LAME!

We should pool some dough and rent a space (ballroom/meeting room) at a hotel. Then we can be much louder and there may be more tolerance for alcohol.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I believe that there was some talk before about tryig to get those who wanted Sealab to go off without a hitch to all try and reserve rooms on the same floor in order to cut down on the possibility of noise complaints.

Artificially create a "party floor" or something like that.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    BamboozaBambooza Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The issue with hotel booking systems is they do not actually assign your room until you’re in the process of checking in and that comes with a degree of availability and randomness as to which room you get.

Looking online at venues to rent it seems most only require a few hundred dollars to reserve and the full cost range anywhere 100 dollars an hour to several grand. But the major issue is the cannot have alcohol brought in from the outside and cannot serve alcohol after 2 Am due to state law. Which is way too early for us.

Bambooza on
    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well yeah, that's why hotel parties are so much better.

If the hotel in question is contacted early enough and by enough people they may see it our way (keep the ruffians on one floor as to not disturb normal folk who sleep).

Intimidation is always the best route with these people ;)

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    Bambooza wrote: »
    The issue with hotel booking systems is they do not actually assign your room until you’re in the process of checking in and that comes with a degree of availability and randomness as to which room you get.

Looking online at venues to rent it seems most only require a few hundred dollars to reserve and the full cost range anywhere 100 dollars an hour to several grand. But the major issue is the cannot have alcohol brought in from the outside and cannot serve alcohol after 2 Am due to state law. Which is way too early for us.

This is why I'm looking into planning a big open bar crawl. It's impossible to get as many people as would want to come into a hotel room, because as Sealab illustrated, they're just not big enough for it. There's 12 bars within 6 blocks from one another near the WSCTC, and if too many people show up to cram into one bar, it can be split into teams.

I won't have the details worked out until it's a lot closer to PAX, but unless some catastrophe stops me from going, it will definitely happen. Probably on Thursday night, so it can start early enough for a reasonable amount of drinking time before last call, then on friday and saturday people can just enjoy smaller hotel parties that can go later into the night.

edit: And enterprising bar crawl attendees could always throw an afterparty at their place if 2am is too early.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    PhanmanPhanman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    mentok1982 wrote: »
    I showed up too early (my mistake) but then I went back to my hotel to wait for the party to begin. When I returned to the Crowne, people were outside talking about how the party was canceled/shut down.

LAME!

We should pool some dough and rent a space (ballroom/meeting room) at a hotel. Then we can be much louder and there may be more tolerance for alcohol.

It will be too expensive and they won't stay open late enough.

I'll tell you exactly how I think the Sealab party will go down this year. Most people won't be invited, it will be a closer knit core group of PAX veterans and their friends. It will not be discussed and advertised on the forums and that's it.

Either that or they find a hotel who would tolerate it, and I doubt they'll find that.

I'm not trying to be a pessimist, I'm just speaking from experience. I'm very much an optimist and hoping that things go much better for Sealab this year.

Phanman on
    Wii Code: 6596 9931 4190 2980
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Funny story.

Highfire and I were sharing a dinner table with 2 others on the west coast train trip home with two others, and at one point the conversation turned to Sealab and how we'd love to get our mitts on the little bastard who walked around with that sign...

"Uh, guys..." one of the guys starts quietly, "I'm LuBlu. I'm the one who walked around with the sign, I'm sorry, I didn't know better."

awkward

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    What did he expect by inviting 37,000 people to one hotel room? :P

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    BlamemonkeyBlamemonkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Liger wrote: »
    What did he expect by inviting 37,000 people to one hotel room? :P

A party of AWESOME!

Blamemonkey on
  • Options
    KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I suspect that there will be MORE parties this year, only with very private, invite only guest lists.

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • Options
    Bizzaro StormyBizzaro Stormy I am Bizzaro Stormy. I am Bizzaro Stormy.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I am Bizzaro Stormy.

Bizzaro Stormy on
  • Options
    Darkblade_1Darkblade_1 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Hi Bizzaro Stormy

Darkblade_1 on
    iveseenvivstits.gif
    You're drawn to my eccentric Brawl Code: 4596 9143 4529
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2008
    Haha, Bizarro Stormy never fails to amuse me.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Darkblade_1Darkblade_1 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    I think if SE pulls off their party at the W they should dub it "Rapture"

Darkblade_1 on
    iveseenvivstits.gif
    You're drawn to my eccentric Brawl Code: 4596 9143 4529
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

Because its doomed to failure or because they are all crazy like splicers?

:P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    November6November6 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    BigRed wrote: »

Because its doomed to failure or because they are all crazy like splicers?

:P

A little from column A and a little from column B.

November6 on
    fucos: Past tense of focus, you have already lost focus that you can't even spell focus. Can be combined with shit for impressing anonymous crowds; fucoshit. source: Wil Weaton
  • Options
    SergeantAuberieSergeantAuberie Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Well, last year Sealab was supposed to be a after PAX hotel party with lots and lots of booze. Instead, it turned into a giant mess that get everyone kicked out of the Crowne Plaza before the concerts even got out for a variety of reasons, including:

*The rooms being way way way way too small
    *People getting let in too early (granted, I was amongst that group too)
    *Crowne Plaza threatening to call the cops for the above

Needless to say, a lot of people were pissed off, like the people who came out of the concerts who didn't know the party died a half hour before, or the people who spent lots of time and money on booze specifically for Sealab (like BigRed).

Not sure if you'll be able to get any more information about last year's out of anyone else, since it's kind of a sore subject that can only be described as an "unmitigiated clusterfuck".

I was underage last year,
    as were my accompainiers.
    We steered clear of the Sealab-ness for those reasons,
    as we didn't want to cause trouble for others..

Anyhow, I'm turning 21 this year..
    so I wants me some Sealab.

SergeantAuberie on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Lets put it this way... Nobody checked my ID for sealab. I cant remember when exactly I got there, though I was invited(as opposed to just showing up).

Yeah, it was a clusterfuck alright.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Nobody checked me either, but then I'm pretty well known to the Sealab crew.

Hopefully this year we can rent space for Sealab.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2008
    Space rental or a party floor. Maybe the powers that be at PA will have more luck with that this year than last (or will just snap up the entire Sheraton for PAX instead of bits and pieces of other hotels).

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I do recall Mike F. saying something about looking into booking the entirety of a smaller hotel downtown, for the purpose of having a centralized party area. I don't know if that's still an idea on the table, but it seems like a pretty solid idea to me.

b0wser on
  • Options
    HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    All I'm saying, is make sure the hotel have better ice machines then the Sheraton.

Highfire on
  • Options
    BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I think Sealab should be held in an underwater facility for the sake of realism. We should also be required to wear an orange jumpsuit and make fun of pod 6 without mercy to gain entrance. I think it would effectively keep Sealab to a manageable size, while also being badass.

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I think Sealab should be held in an underwater facility for the sake of realism. We should also be required to wear an orange jumpsuit and make fun of pod 6 without mercy to gain entrance. I think it would effectively keep Sealab to a manageable size, while also being badass.

Oh god yes. Is there an aquarium nearby and can we book it for a night?

(Goes to look far an aquarium)

FOUND! I can't believe it is so close to PAX. It is about 2 blocks West then 9 blocks South (.8 miles).
    http://www.seattleaquarium.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?&pid=257&srcid=183
    Party with the stars! Sea stars, that is. The Seattle Aquarium offers a magical undersea venue that holds up to 800 people for any occasion from weddings to corporate functions. Entertain in the Puget Sound Great Hall with the luminous Window on Washington Waters (opening June 22) complete with hundreds of fish-your personal interactive party decorations! Guests will enjoy the seemingly choreographed fur seals swim. And don't forget the life of the party, sea otters. Cheers!
    We offer spectacular spaces and seamless service for your private event. Whether you're planning an event for 100 or 800, the Aquarium is an ideal environment for any occasion.
    To arrange an Aquarium tour or to find out more about Special Event planning services at the Seattle Aquarium, please call us at 206-386-4321.

Orange jumpsuits (meant for inmates or Halloween costumes):
    http://www.nationaltextile.us/inc/sdetail/488 $13.95
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ORANGE-PRISONER-CONVICT-CORRECTIONS-SAFETY-JUMPSUIT_W0QQitemZ290069711361QQcmdZViewItem $24.00

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The only question there is how they would handle 800 drunk gamers... I think the answer is roughly, not very well...

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    Queen BrewerQueen Brewer Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I went to a wedding once there. It's a amazing place, if you can convince them to accept a ton of drunks. It is probably fairly expensive though... It also probably book way ahead of time.

Queen Brewer on
    <Moe_Fwacky> once i had next door neighbors
    <Moe_Fwacky> nice girls
    <Moe_Fwacky> lesbians
    <Moe_Fwacky> robbed drugstores together
  • Options
    smessmes Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah I was turned away at the elevator, so I never made it to the lab. Though a party floor (perhaps charging admission or have a must bring booze rule) would be rad.

smes on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The only question there is how they would handle 800 drunk gamers... I think the answer is roughly, not very well...

800?! Really? I thought that Sealab was shrinking in size. I was thinking there would be less than 200 people invited.

Also, people drink beers and liquors at weddings and some weddings do get pretty wild. I imagine that we could convince them that "gamers" are just like other humans in many respects...

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    mentok1982 wrote: »
    ... I imagine that we could convince them that "gamers" are just like other humans in many respects...

RUN, BOB! KILLER KIDS, LIKE ON TEEVEE!

But seriously, Sealab could be huge, the question is mostly logistical. However, for practical purposes, we are probably looking at sub 200 for this year unless a miracle happens.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    collinccollinc Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I would love to go this year. I didn't attempt to in the previous year because of my age. I did end up partying with Ars Technica though.

collinc on
    Free cake. Inquire within.
  • Options
    ThePimpImpThePimpImp Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If only BYOC people could stay in byoc and get drunk, computers plus networking plus booze definately is not dangerous...............

OK maybe the above statement might not be completely true, but the truth is it would be hilarious and fun.

Unfortunately the whole, be out of the building and the under 21 thing is going to make it impossible, among other concerns.

ThePimpImp on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1
    pulls up a lawn chair to see how BigRed tears apart this idea

PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    pulls up a lawn chair to see how BigRed tears apart this idea

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Then we'll make our own BYOC! With Blackjack! And Hookers!

In fact, forget the Blackjack, and the BYOC...

... eh, forget the whole thing.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
This discussion has been closed.