As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We're all just doing our best for our [Kids]

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    What happens if you get in the bath with him?

Still the terror, like no water in the bath he's shaking like crazy and crying. We've tried a lot of different things to acclimate him, but he just has a huge fear of the bathtub and I am at a loss.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Still the terror, like no water in the bath he's shaking like crazy and crying. We've tried a lot of different things to acclimate him, but he just has a huge fear of the bathtub and I am at a loss.

Yeah our 3yr old is terrified too we pretty much have to just let her scream bloody murder whole we use the shower heard and bath her as quickly as possible.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

maybe you could bathe him outside?

it's been pretty hot recently...

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Yeah, get the garden hose for a week and by then hopefully they forget about the bath.

steam_sig.png
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    venting

My Dad told my 8 yr old last Saturday that this week was his holidays and he was going to take him to the beach. My partner told him not to get his hopes up.

My Dad didn't even text or call at all this week.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    At my parents' house with my sister in law and 20-month old nephew and we just had our first experience of him locking himself in a bathroom. My mum had to do a heroic rescue and bodyslam the door open. Which means now there's no lock so at least he can't do it again.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Isn't there a pinhole you can insert a pin into to unlock from outside? Usually bathroom locks have that for this very situation.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular

Does he react that way to all water or just a bath tub specifically?

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Isn't there a pinhole you can insert a pin into to unlock from outside? Usually bathroom locks have that for this very situation.

It was just a bolt on the inside of the door.

Capt Howdy wrote: »

Does he react that way to all water or just a bath tub specifically?

Any kind of washing. What's weird is like when I take a shower he'll want to put some containers in to gather water and play with the static water, but again try and make that into a washing or a shower no not going to happen. I've seen him also water play at daycare where they put their hands in a little basin and play with water there.

Showering outside is a no go, live in a condo we don't have a hose.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    My youngest went through a phase where she was absolutely terrified of the bathtub. I don't really have any advice other than she eventually grew out of it.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    My youngest went through a phase where she was absolutely terrified of the bathtub. I don't really have any advice other than she eventually grew out of it.

Well I'm glad to know she eventually out grew it. I mean he grew into wanting every shower, and then grew into "no showers are scary".

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Same here. At 2 she loved baths. At 3 she hated them. At 4 she loved them again (though to this day she insists on wearing her swimsuit.)

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Transportation talk:

I've been doing some research on infant car seats and strollers but was hoping to get some opinions and advice from here. Did you use a stroller that was the same brand as the car seat or get an adapter to latch the two together, or possibly a stroller without connectivity to car seats? Prefer 3 or 4 wheels? Big knobby off-road tires or something smoother? Anything else that is worth knowing or looking deeper into?

• plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    I FUCKING HATE MY WIFE'S AUNT RIGHT NOW.

She vapes and is constantly insisting it's not smoking and it's not harmful.

At a family lunch with that entire half of the family (but not my wife who had work), she was getting out her vape thing and my mother in law started to tell her off, and told C to tell her not to smoke.

Her response? "There's no fire so it can't be smoke". She then reaches to use it IN FRONT OF BOTH OF MY KIDS. As I say "please dont", she fucking does it anyway.

And then, breathing out a cloud of bullshit, she says "see, bubbles!"

HOW FUCKING DARE.

But I had to be nice, I was missing my back-up, and we quickly moved to play with the other kids.

But now I have to worry she's fucked up the messaging C has gotten so far about smoking.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    As someone who occasionally vapes, fuck that bullshit

If someone asks you to not vape just don’t do it, sheesh

• mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    Good on you for being nice. I probably would have burned that bridge in front of everyone.

For m1ttens, we initially used a britax seat and stroller combo. Still use the stroller here and there, it’s nice. We also ended up with a bob stroller which has been real nice. It had an adapter available to click in the britax car seat. We’ve used both strollers for close to 4 years now with two kids.

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »
    Transportation talk:

I've been doing some research on infant car seats and strollers but was hoping to get some opinions and advice from here. Did you use a stroller that was the same brand as the car seat or get an adapter to latch the two together, or possibly a stroller without connectivity to car seats? Prefer 3 or 4 wheels? Big knobby off-road tires or something smoother? Anything else that is worth knowing or looking deeper into?

We started off with a handed-down stroller that could sleep babies but didn't take our car seat, and it took about two waking-up-of-the-baby to transfer him from car seat to stroller to realise that it was not worth the savings; so we got a same-brand stroller that we could clip the car seat into and it makes a big difference. Adapters or whatever are probably fine, but I'd strongly suggest actually trying it out in person to see how well it works, because "possible" is not the same thing as "practical" when tired and there's bags of shopping to wrestle with and it's raining so you need to get the kid clipped in so you can put the cover up.

Same thing with the "one hand fold" feature that some have -- it's very useful when it works, but make sure that you can actually operate whatever system it has and it doesn't need king kong levels of grip strength.

Otherwise you probably want wheels bigger than skateboard wheels so you can deal with small bumps, but we just had fairly normal ones and they were fine on rough-ish terrain;
    IMG_5011.jpg

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    plufim wrote: »

At a family lunch with that entire half of the family (but not my wife who had work), she was getting out her vape thing and my mother in law started to tell her off, and told C to tell her not to smoke.

Her response? "There's no fire so it can't be smoke". She then reaches to use it IN FRONT OF BOTH OF MY KIDS. As I say "please dont", she fucking does it anyway.

HOW FUCKING DARE.

But I had to be nice, I was missing my back-up, and we quickly moved to play with the other kids.

But now I have to worry she's fucked up the messaging C has gotten so far about smoking.

I FUCKING HATE YOUR WIFE'S AUNT TOO.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    During bath time, my cranky 2 year old was finding anyone to get upset about. The best was when he held his privates and said " this is too big. I want it smaller". He didn't believe when I said I couldn't make it smaller, and he probably didn't want to. Much crying ensued.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    During bath time, my cranky 2 year old was finding anyone to get upset about. The best was when he held his privates and said " this is too big. I want it smaller". He didn't believe when I said I couldn't make it smaller, and he probably didn't want to. Much crying ensued.

Well.

I just snorted hot tea out of my nose at work.

Oh that poor wee one.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    stroller we inherited which is really great: http://www.babyjogger.com/en-US/city-mini®-gt

We got an adapter kit to allow us to put our Chicco Keyfit infant seat on it, once she was big enough for regular stroller sitting we put those parts back on https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019W2SO7M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

We liked the Chico Keyfit 30, it clicks in and out of a base for easy transporting of babby, and the base is easy to install in all the cars we used it in https://www.amazon.com/Chicco-KeyFit-Infant-Seat-Lilla/dp/B00MS9VTG0?th=1

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Glad to hear good things about the Keyfit30. I was leaning towards it as it seems to be the best blend between price and safety/convenience features. Our next door neighbors have two little ones and they use the City Mini (non-GT) in both a single and double config so maybe i'll see if I can borrow it for an afternoon and check out how well it can be tossed in the car and set up or folded down.

• plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

HOW FUCKING DARE.

To be clear, my wife is also sick of her aunt's shit. Had she been there, she would have unleashed hell on her.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

HOW FUCKING DARE.

To be clear, my wife is also sick of her aunt's shit. Had she been there, she would have unleashed hell on her.

Had I been there, I would have unleashed hell on her.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

HOW FUCKING DARE.

... so you ripped the vape thing out of her hands and shoved it up her ass, right? And then cops she called high-fived you?

That's how this story ends, right?

• PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Transportation talk:

We got the Graco Modes stroller+seat combo, as I have mixed feelings.

This thing has choices:
    1) you can put the kid in the stroller seat.
    1a) the stroller seat can face forward or backward
    2) you can click the car seat into the stroller seat
    3) you can remove the stroller seat completely and just click the car seat onto the frame to get a mobile buggy.

After a year (so now the little guy is too big for the included car seat) we have never used Option 3, we used 2 all the time (A+++ feature would recommend), and while we haven’t used 1a (have only done forward facing) yet there’s hope we might at some point.

It folds very easily, but it’s heavy. You won’t notice how heavy your own stroller is until you use somebody else’s for a weekend, so keep that in mind. You get used to it.

While the Modes is a “normal” 4 wheeler, we recently used (an Evenflo brand?) jogging-designed 3 wheeler that we borrowed and I could definitely tell the difference. I don’t know if it was because of the jogging design, or because of the 3 wheel factor, or just me not being used to it, but the 3 wheel felt harder to navigate tight corners, like a cramped grocery store. It did feel easier to go over bumps because of the bigger tires though.

• Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular

Speaking of private parts.

My six-year-old likes Return of the Jedi, particularly the beginning section with Jabba.

One morning while we had it on for him, he called mom into the living room because he wanted to show her something.

He was standing in front of the TV naked. During a shot of slave-bikini Leia, he reached up and touched her belly button. He giggled and told mom "I booped Leia's belly button, and I touched my penis!"

My wife's conclusion: it starts pretty young.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I have my consultation for a vasectomy this Wednesday.

Hopefully after that I can schedule it for early September!

Transportation talk:

One of the strollers I've used has a feature that I really, really grew to appreciate. The chair part could fold down completely flat, and the foot-rest area could fold up and snap into place. That made it into essentially a wheeled bassinet.

It was fantastic for, e.g., baby naps while trying to get things done in the kitchen, or watch TV, or what-have-you, because you could easily just roll the stroller back and forth if your little one was stirring from their nap a little too early and get them right back to sleep.

In general, strollers that have an attachment for the car seat are ridiculously convenient. If possible, just go with one manufacturer for all of them - it'll make things easier in the long-run if you don't have to worry about adapters. You can also usually get more than one carseat base; my wife and I both kept one installed in our cars, because you just don't want to keep switching these things around.

Consider how easy it is to carry your stroller when it's in its folded-up position. Most are ... semi-carryable ... like that, which is about what you can hope for, but some fold up in such a way that there isn't a convenient carry-point. At some point (e.g., when getting on or off a plane), you're going to need to manually lug that thing for a nontrivial distance, and if you can't carry it easily (ish) now, then you're going to have a helluva time when you've got a baby in a carrier, two bags, and the stroller.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Do you live in an urban areas or suburban or rural? Do you ever take public transportation?
    The more urban, the more you need packed into one thing. We had both a clip in for our Chicco and a dedicated knobby wheeled Jeep stroller. This was cheaper and more useful than a single city mini,for example but we live in a more rural area and always have room in the trunk for stuff.
    Think about how and where you'll use it and buy based on that. Also while my first kid will pass out wherever, 2nd will not, so she's in the stroller less than he was.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Hey, did you know therizinosaurus had the longest claws of any animal that ever lived?

Did you know mamenchisaurus had a neck that was half its body length?

Did you know baryonyx used its claws to sweep fish from the water?

If you didn’t Niko will be happy to tell you! Multiple times a day until you remember.

• Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    Hey, did you know therizinosaurus had the longest claws of any animal that ever lived?

If you didn’t Niko will be happy to tell you! Multiple times a day until you remember.

Huh! That's a bunch of interesting, albeit not-so-useful, information to have.

My son, on the other hand, made sure to have his mom write down that Snoke (of the new Star Wars films) "has a puppy lip that shoots fireballs".

Janson wrote: »

Dinosaur facts are the best kids facts.

I know I was dinosaur crazy for a good chunk of childhood. My kids just aren't.

It's a strange feeling, having stuff you were SO EXCITED ABOUT as a kid and anticipating that, in turn, your kids will too, because they're you're kids! And that stuff is awesome!

Nope.

It's been interesting watching it with Niko because his first experience with dinosaurs was at a museum where he was TERRIFIED of an animatronic t-rex

and then what seemed like a couple weeks later he was dino crazy

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ellie is all about sea creatures right now.

I kept trying to influence her towards space.

But nope. Sea creatures.

Whales, sharks, fish, dolphins, etc.

She occasionally diverts attention to horses, but then right back to penguins and crabs and starfish.

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    We went to Field Station Dinosaurs recently, which is basically a big park with animatronic dinosaurs. I'm not sure if our 2 year old realized they were not real.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
    Back when I was little the Philadelphia natural history museum had some animatronic dinosaurs. Including one right on the entrance.

Then suddenly, one day, there was an egg!

The museum ran a naming contest and everything for when the new dinosaur would hatch. It was a BIG DEAL to all of us second graders.

Then it hatched during summer break.

The museum was super busy that summer

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Ellie is all about sea creatures right now.

I kept trying to influence her towards space.

But nope. Sea creatures.

Whales, sharks, fish, dolphins, etc.

She occasionally diverts attention to horses, but then right back to penguins and crabs and starfish.

Space you say? Maybe tell her a little something about octopi and exogenesis. It's cutting edge (*cough*bull rap) stuff!

PSN: Kurahoshi1
This discussion has been closed.