As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Choosy moms choose [GIF] (nsf56k)

1717273747577»

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Also Walt Disney's Fantasia (1940): ghost tits

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    sorcery

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular

As you might imagine, people in the comments disagreed:

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    He's right though.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    doesn't it take place on christmas?

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

Yes.

I feel that there have to be other criteria than "it takes place on/around Christmas" to calling something a "Christmas ______"

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

Yes.

I feel that there have to be other criteria than "it takes place on/around Christmas" to calling something a "Christmas ______"

That would mean Harry Potter isn't a christmas movie then, I just can't accept that reality if that's the case.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Is this where I can start shouting 'Death of the Author!' so no one can tell me that I'm wrong?

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

Yes.

Counterpoint:

no

edited August 2018
    It's also funny that this is in the GIF thread, since this seems like the time where it was discovered that the guy who invented the Graphics Interchange Format pronounces its abbreviation incorrectly.

Javen on
  • HermanoHermano Registered User regular

Yes.

Yeah, something like an estranged father overcoming adversity and trying to reunite with his family just in time for Christmas, something like that

PSN- AHermano
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Yes.

That would mean Harry Potter isn't a christmas movie then, I just can't accept that reality if that's the case.

it takes place over the whole year though and christmas is but a small portion

Die Hard takes place exclusively on christmas

I guess I've never heard the argument that die hard wouldn't be considered a christmas movie

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I'm firmly in the Die Hard as a christmas movie camp.

Because he's got a machine gun ho ho ho

and more seriously because it came out at christmas and many action films do and I associate films with the season they are released.

Enc wrote: »

and more seriously because it came out at christmas and many action films do and I associate films with the season they are released.

It came out in July.

I feel I should clarify that the time a movie was released doesn't really matter for whether it should be considered a christmas movie.

A Miracle on 34th Street, a movie often seen as the quintessential christmas movie, was released in June.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

It came out in July.

Christmas in July then!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me

It came out in July.

I went back and checked, and what the hell. None of them came out at Christmas. But we went and saw them at a local theater every year at Christmas each year they came out. Like, that is a well established family thing we did that my sister and I talk about all the time.

I guess it was just a local theater doing some rerun stuff?

I'm questioning everything I know now. Nothing can be true.

It came out in July.

I went back and checked, and what the hell. None of them came out at Christmas. But we went and saw them at a local theater every year at Christmas each year they came out. Like, that is a well established family thing we did that my sister and I talk about all the time.

Yeah, the holiday season didn't used to (or maybe still isn't) great for first-run movies, so a lot of theaters would show halloween movies around halloween, and christmas movies around christmas, instead of just having empty cinemas.

Christmas is ruined.

So is the black T-shirt I'm wearing right now a Christmas shirt because I wore it on Christmas morning last year?

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

It came out in July.

All of this is just more evidence that Die Hard is a Christmas movie.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    So is the black T-shirt I'm wearing right now a Christmas shirt because I wore it on Christmas morning last year?

yeah buddy, go for it

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    It would have cracked me up if he was like "DIE HARD IS NOT A CHRISTMAS MOVIE!!!! .....But Die Hard 2 is. "

The main determination of 'is this a christmas thing' is probably 'do most people experience thing during the christmas season?' So if Die Hard wasn't a christmas movie before, the argument against appears to be getting tougher to make each year.

ji43llxs9cpe.jpg
    How do I rotate text in mspaint?

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    with great difficulty

BahamutZERO.gif
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I hate that man so much.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Aistan wrote: »
    I hate that man so much.

when I first saw that image I didn't know who the guy was, and the sign/situation is so perfectly ironic that I absolutely could not believe it wasn't satire.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • WimbleWimble Registered User regular

4SMZq.jpg
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    A christmas movie to me is a movie one watches regularly around christmas times with ones friends/family/self/whoever-you-do-your-christmas-thang-with.

Ah, Jack Frost. Got it.

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    okay this thread got ruined, try again

8406wWN.png
This discussion has been closed.