As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Enter the Gungeon: That's when I reach for my revolver

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Man, binding of Isaac spoiled me because I'm seeing nearly 0 synergy with items and weapons.

And fuck that tank. Fuck it to hell

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Man, binding of Isaac spoiled me because I'm seeing nearly 0 synergy with items and weapons.

And fuck that tank. Fuck it to hell

Synergies where very much an afterthought in the original game (barring specific mechanical ones like "this gun happens to be really good with piercing"); they made a concerted effort to make them more front and center now, but yeah, it's certainly not to the level Isaac is at.

Tank has been screwing with me lately. I think they buffed the hurt box on the explosive shot, which is annoying.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'll take the tank over the Mine Flayer any day. Or Cannonbalrog. You can generally back away and do just fine, but those two need you moving in all directions.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Mine Flayer and Cannonbalrog are super difficult. The former in particular I haven't figured out. The patterns are very challenging.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Cannonbalrog occasionally cheeses me when walking into the room, and is extremely difficult if you don't have a good long-ranged weapon; but normally keeping your distance makes his patterns a lot easier.

Tank you mostly have to make sure you don't get screwed over by something curving around a corner or exploding you through a pillar, but carefully leading it along while dodging behind terrain is generally solid.

I can handle Mine Flayer's bullet patterns mostly, but I still have no understanding of how the mines work and getting hit by them tilts me so I get hit by everything else.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    One thing you want to do with Mine Flayer is stand directly below or above him. The attack where he shoots the bell can almost never hit you when you're doing that.

• Options
    When I blow a perfect fight against the tank, it's rarely because of the tank itself; I usually just forget that he's dropped a minion somewhere, and stupidly back into their fire.

I think my ideal boss route would be Trigger Twins, Gorgun, Treadnaught and Kill Pillars. Worst would be Gull on one of his shittier stage layouts (like that one with the two moats), Ammoconda, Mine Flayer and Wallmonger.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    That's pretty close to mine as well, although I actually prefer the Bullet King--it'll force me to blank almost every time unlike the other bosses, but I'll always know that I have to blank. None of his attacks are surprises or catch you out of position like the other two can, which leads to accidental damage. And for worst I'd put High Priest above Wallmonger for the same unpredictability factor (I despise how he has random bullets wander in from off-screen), though they're both substantially more punishing to dodge than Kill Pillars (which are more of a DPS check than anything).

Also I discovered Big Shotgun is like, the greatest Ammoconda murderer of all time, which is fantastic because fuck Ammoconda.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    I just hate those fricking four bullet statues.

They're the absolute worst.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Tips (spoiled because I know some people like to figure this stuff out for themselves):
    When they do their spin-in-circles-and-shoot-circles attack, you want to dodge in the opposite direction they're spinning when they shoot out the circle. The goal is to dodge over the spinning line and the expanding circle at the same time.
    When they do the jump-after-you attack, lead them into a corner and then burn a blank as you get the hell out of dodge back into the middle. Once they don't have you cornered it's a lot easier to dodge.
    In the final stage you just have to dodge directly into the circle it shoots while DPSing it down.

Getting those patterns down is definitely difficult, but once you do it's the most predictable of the fourth floor bosses. Oh, and explosive/pierce weapons are EXTREMELY powerful against them.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

They only really have the one nasty attack where they follow you around farting bullets out everywhere, because you'll almost certainly have to blank it in a very narrow window. Everything else gives you a predictable pattern or plenty of time to dodge.

I'm generally okay with High Priest despite the randomness factor, so long as I remember to stay away from the walls. But Wallmonger just has so much stuff going on, even if it's entirely predictable, that I usually forget something like "don't stand in the fire" because I'm too busy dodging bullets.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    Well that's just a matter of never standing in the center lane.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I find the bullet twins annoying because you have to control their position, but if you have a nice powerful gun they're easy. Bullet king is the easiest I think. The bird is a dick because he moves quickly and never stops shooting when he's in that pursuit phase, so if you're close it's hard to stay alive.

I think my favorite gun in the game so far is the Scrambler. Whenever I get it I do way better than any other loadout. Beat Mine Flayer today with it.

• Options
    The Beehive (the gun, not the passive Honeycomb) is also excellent for reasons very similar to the Scrambler, so keep an eye out for that.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    Wooden Beam eh? Oh it's a laser. Cute. ...and I just got a laser sight for it. Okay Gungeon I'll admit, this is hilarious.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Oh my lord! I actually got a Glitch chest. And I killed the boss within it, and got rewarded with like 10 things!

...the first of which was The Exotic. And this being the Switch version, the game soft-locked as soon as I fired it.

So that run is lost. The game was able to recognize the crash and restart my game, but on the start of the floor before the glitch chest floor. So not only do I not have my glitch chest rewards, I don't even have the Love/Hate Shotgun combo I found on the floor the first time.

Enlong on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'm trying to play this on KBAM, because my thumb is fucked. It's passable.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Convict is the one character I talk shit about so of course she would be the one I reach the fifth floor for the first time with and beat the boss on the first try.

Of course.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    The Beehive (the gun, not the passive Honeycomb) is also excellent for reasons very similar to the Scrambler, so keep an eye out for that.

The difference is that the Scrambler has ammo efficiency out the ass, while the beehive needs you to spend your entire allotment of bees to kill one boss.

Also Scrambler is C and the beehive is... B. Obviously.

• Options
    Well, I do think the beehive does kill quicker which leaves you less time to mess up and get hit, which is something. But then Sling is a brown chest weapon so shrug

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Beehive was a huge help in that run I mentioned.

That and the bubble gun basically handed me victory. Bubble gun, the dark horse gun I didn't expect to save my ass for two floors straight.

• Options
    Yay, I got my first victory against the (AG&D boss spoilers)
    Resourceful Rat!

Ok, it's not a full victory, as I lost the Snake vs Liquid Punch-Out match on top of Metal Gear RAT, but I walked out of his boss room alive, and he literally coughed up some rewards, so I'm calling this a victory. I ran the fight as the Bullet, and a depowered Blasphemy was still instrumental to my survival. That and a Reloadstone (that item is bonkers good).

I also got a Rat Key and clapped my hands on the Rat's gun, the Elimintailer. Oh my god this gun is amazing. It launches cheese wedges at the enemy that "encheeses" them. This basically works just like freezing enemies, except that when they die, they leave behind a puddle of goop that cheeses any enemies who step in it. And it has unlimited ammo. This gun. Wow. Worth the fight 100%.

I can see me going back to this fight just to do it again, and also to get more of his treasures. If they're all as good as his gun, then wow.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Reminded why I didn’t like this game. 3 runs and didn’t get a real weapon or useful item before first boss. Shrug

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Reminded why I didn’t like this game. 3 runs and didn’t get a real weapon or useful item before first boss. Shrug

If you don't enjoy the game that's fair, but it's pretty explicitly built that you're supposed to beat the first boss without picking anything up, and then you've got five rolls before the second boss (as that forces the first boss to drop a gun).

Hell, half the Issac runs I won never got a good item :p There's substantially less absolute garbage in this game than other roguelites.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    I thought the Prototype Railgun was a good weapon, but now I have a proper Railgun and wowowowowow

broken image link
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Holy shit at the Raiden coil.

It doesn't seem to do much against bosses but it clears rooms like a pro since everything in sight starts taking constant damage. Very satisfying.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Holy shit at the Raiden coil.

It doesn't seem to do much against bosses but it clears rooms like a pro since everything in sight starts taking constant damage. Very satisfying.

This is why I love the Camera, too. It's not quite as strong as the Raiden Coil, and it's an even worse boss weapon, but it hits even stuff that is off-screen. To say nothing of its new, bad-ass synergies with the Flash Ray and Megahand.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Occasionally I take a hit when weaving through a screen full of bullets.

The vast majority of damage I take though, is from just walking straight into a slow-moving lone bullet from an enemy that's already dead.

broken image link
  • Options
    Oh man, the ring of the resourceful rat is amazing.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Never thought I'd be writing this but heroine is just amazing.

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I thought the camera would freeze stuff because I’d seen that Evil Within 2 boss fight.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    evilthecat wrote: »
    Never thought I'd be writing this but heroine is just amazing.

Heroine and Megahand are both amazing. The charge shot is strong enough to just wipe out most enemies in one blow. I wish the Heroine had stronger synergies (Roll Bombs are not my cup of tea, so strengthening them doesn't do much for me), but the weapon by itself is worth it.

Enlong on
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I actually kind of hate Heroine even though it's obviously a great weapon because I just do not have the charge time muscle memory down so I always fire off the not-quite-fully-charged shots that do like 30% damage and then I take damage because the enemy I expected to die didn't.

Megahand I'll avoid using just because it makes the game too easy (and isn't particularly satisfying compared to, say, +5 Radical Gun).

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Another awesome setup I got to use was alpha, omega and hexarifle.
    Instagibbed eveything bar those lich lites.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    I got the Pox cannon & T-shirt cannon synergy.

It shoots a wardrobe occasionally. Very nice!

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Found a gun that shoots fish out of a barrel.

*slow clap while nodding approvingly*

• Options
    Found a gun that shoots fish out of a barrel.

*slow clap while nodding approvingly*

I forget what it's with, but there's a synergy that makes it so that a fish leans out of the barrel firing its own gun. And at the end of the clip the fish jumps out and lays on the ground while continuing to shoot.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I actually kind of hate Heroine even though it's obviously a great weapon because I just do not have the charge time muscle memory down so I always fire off the not-quite-fully-charged shots that do like 30% damage and then I take damage because the enemy I expected to die didn't.

Megahand I'll avoid using just because it makes the game too easy (and isn't particularly satisfying compared to, say, +5 Radical Gun).

Nuts to that. I had my first Convict win last night because of it. Up until I got Megahand I felt like the game was practically cheating to beat me. I finally felt like it was possible to win, and then I got equipped with -c- and just froze everything when I walked into a room. It was glorious and I don't feel even a little bad about it.

• Options

Nuts to that. I had my first Convict win last night because of it. Up until I got Megahand I felt like the game was practically cheating to beat me. I finally felt like it was possible to win, and then I got equipped with -c- and just froze everything when I walked into a room. It was glorious and I don't feel even a little bad about it.

Oh yeah, I don't mean to say everyone else shouldn't do it, but I've won like ten Megahand runs so it's old hat for me at this point :P

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    So I got a lil sentient junk pet, palled around with it for awhile, it became a giant gold robot with laser swords and missles once I picked up more junk and for some reason I have 500 bullet cash.

I have no idea whats going on anymore. I'm just rolling with it.

Dr. Chaos on