As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Etrian Odyssey: Nexus - When your cat is an absolute unit.

• Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    l_g wrote: »
    I'm temped to restart my game of 5 because I discovered NONE of the classes I picked had any poison mitigation. It's just too costly early on to heal poison via items. I retrained my Shaman into a Botanist. But man that sucks to discover. *sigh* I really wanted them to be a shaman. Any advice?

What's your team and where are you?

Still on the 1st Stratum, my team is uh. God I'm horrible with their names. Rabbit Swordman, Human Pain fighter, Necromancer, Human Line guarder, and it was Mystic but I converted to Herbalist because I badly needed poison repair.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I'm temped to restart my game of 5 because I discovered NONE of the classes I picked had any poison mitigation. It's just too costly early on to heal poison via items. I retrained my Shaman into a Botanist. But man that sucks to discover. *sigh* I really wanted them to be a shaman. Any advice?

What's your team and where are you?

Still on the 1st Stratum, my team is uh. God I'm horrible with their names. Rabbit Swordman, Human Pain fighter, Necromancer, Human Line guarder, and it was Mystic but I converted to Herbalist because I badly needed poison repair.

Ah yeah, I can see how that would be annoying.
    That's early enough in the game that the price of poison items still bites you.

One thing you could do if you wanted to keep the Shaman badly and not have a Botanist is that you could swap your pugilist for a Rover. The Rover has access to a poison healing ability quite early in the game through Aid Command (requires level 3 dog summon), and while the Rover's MP pool is kind of shallow, soon enough you'll find food that will help supplement that. The Rover doesn't dish out damage like the Pugilist does, but it does provide physical damage and binding.

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    It might be fun to start over completely, sometimes, but there's almost never any practical benefit to it.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Hey. Hey hey hey.

We have battle music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rytAyIW6t4

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    wuzzat

BahamutZERO.gif
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    According to comments it's just a weird teaser for Etrian Odyssey using the initials of the game's Japanese title. No idea what that's about specifically. Someone thinks it means it is being announced for Switch but that is as unconfirmed a rumor as it gets.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    moving the series to switch for future iterations would probably make sense, it'll be weird not having the second screen map anymore though

BahamutZERO.gif
    moving the series to switch for future iterations would probably make sense, it'll be weird not having the second screen map anymore though

I'm sure they could just make it so that half of the screen is taken up by the navigation view, half by the map.
    And maybe make it so that you can orient then switch vertically for this.

The map could also be a mini-map you view, and then could pull up as a full-screen menu to draw on and such.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yeah, they have options for it. The switch's much higher resolution helps there too.

But that video is basically just saying the series will continue beyond the DS and 3DS.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    It's also saying that there's a dog-thing on the right.

First stratum music I think. This is very well mixed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOfqPZt_qAg

I had a terrible premonition that that trailer was for a gacha-based Etrian-themed mobile game.
    It would probably be the most profitable Etrian game ever if they did that.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    it's an AR gacha game and the maps you draw are google maps

wait that sounds actually good

it's an AR gacha game and the maps you draw are google maps

wait that sounds actually good

There are FOEs that roam around that you can see through the AR vision that you have to be careful to avoid
    You'll know that are getting closer because the IOSYS "F.O.E." song plays as they get closer

Komori has talked about moving on from 3DS for a while.

I had a terrible premonition that that trailer was for a gacha-based Etrian-themed mobile game.
    Atlus is sadly owned by Sega and I wouldn't put it past them to start making stupid decisions like this.

Etrian Odyssey 3 battle music with the Untold treatment is finally here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYTeIq6G5bE

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    First Campaign is so good by itself. The original Super Arranged version is one of the best video game songs I can recall. I like the modern instrumentation, I like that it's at a faster bpm, and more rock guitar driven. Yuzo Koshiro can do no wrong. Ever.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

Remember the first stratum music from EO3? They redid it for EOX. It is... so pretty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImD3MM_wZCs

edited August 2018
    EO3 and EO4 have my favourite themes. That's saying nothing of End of Raging Waves/Winds which started with EO3, which is just so good.

I'm worried this series won't make a transition to the Switch because of losing the mapping ability or something, but I know I'll want a brand new entry after this launches.

El Fantastico on

There was a teaser for some new game with the same abbreviation as all other Etrian-games at the end of a stream for this game, after the director has said he wants to move the series on to something new, and people still think it might have been for Persona or whatever.

What might happen is a series transition but it won't maintain the same genre per se. Which will be weird but they have been building a cohesive world with the Untold games (and part 5). I'm willing to give them a shot here. Besides I'm the idiot that's been saying "Etrian Odyssey would make the perfect MMORPG."

Henroid wrote: »
    What might happen is a series transition but it won't maintain the same genre per se. Which will be weird but they have been building a cohesive world with the Untold games (and part 5). I'm willing to give them a shot here. Besides I'm the idiot that's been saying "Etrian Odyssey would make the perfect MMORPG."

Hmm.

1 and 2 are definitively connected. 3 is presumably connected, but separate world. 4 is presumably connected. 5 is... an interesting case and I need to finish the 6th stratum, but I could see it being linked back the way 3 is. The mystery dungeon crossovers I think are too.

It occurs to me though that 3 and 5 are also the ones with a bit more fantasy to them in the story.
    In 3, the whole deep ones stuff is getting into possession and primal evil gods and shit.
    And 5 has straight up necromancy and undead so yeah.
    Not that they don't all have magic, just those two push it a bit further than others.

I'm not sure Etrian Odyssey would be that great of an MMORPG because MMORPGs aren't really big on slowly mapping out dungeons... or maybe they are and I just don't know about it!

That said, one game I did see that I did not expect to care about is NISA's Labyrinth of Refrain:
    http://nisamerica.com/games/labyrinth-of-refrain/index.html#system

What's interesting about it to me is that you don't have just a party of five adventurers, you have a party of five TEAMS. The teams have an internal configuration based on the team archetype, and then the brigade has front/back row assignments for those teams. Each team has up to 8 members in it. I don't know if you actually get to assign specific orders to every member of your whole brigade, but having multiple scales of assignment and formation is really cool to me.

I'd actually love it if Etrian Odyssey could expand into a game that had a greater management sim element to it. Like, your main adventurers are the vanguard that explores dungeons and defeats bosses, but you can have benched party members operate on assignments like resource collection, caravan protection, etc. and you get to see the network of things your guild organization is doing across the world, and their ability to do so expands as the vanguard clears out dungeon paths for them and establishes trade routes.

I'm not sure Etrian Odyssey would be that great of an MMORPG because MMORPGs aren't really big on slowly mapping out dungeons... or maybe they are and I just don't know about it!
    Oh I don't mean to imply my Bad Idea™ would include the mapping out aspect. But most everything else transitions well. There's a city that's your hub, there's lots of classes and concepts for combat interaction. You form parties or guilds. There's an implied gathering and crafting system in place. And then you just... explore the base of Yggdrasil, climbing up it steadily. Then the first stratum boss is the first raid. Then the 2nd stratum is the first expansion pack.

*poisons a perfectly good game*

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Atlus is sadly owned by Sega and I wouldn't put it past them to start making stupid decisions like this.

Honestly the problem is that it wouldn't be a stupid idea - from their (revenue oriented) perspective. It would be terrible, sure, but also almost certainly make them more money in a year than the entire Etrian series has made in its entire run.

On the other hand, as you say, this is Sega, and in them being too dumb to realize this rests our hope :P.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
    Oh I don't mean to imply my Bad Idea™ would include the mapping out aspect. But most everything else transitions well. There's a city that's your hub, there's lots of classes and concepts for combat interaction. You form parties or guilds. There's an implied gathering and crafting system in place. And then you just... explore the base of Yggdrasil, climbing up it steadily. Then the first stratum boss is the first raid. Then the 2nd stratum is the first expansion pack.

*poisons a perfectly good game*

You pretty much described Sword Art Online.

Which hey, I'm totally down for. Minus the real death stuff.

edited August 2018
    Today's music is Etrian Odyssey 3's boss battle music, remade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brPskDEr7CU

Edit - There's more music available than I thought. The FOE music is absolutely the worst in the series, goodness.

Henroid on
    edited August 2018
    Drascin wrote: »

Honestly the problem is that it wouldn't be a stupid idea - from their (revenue oriented) perspective. It would be terrible, sure, but also almost certainly make them more money in a year than the entire Etrian series has made in its entire run.

On the other hand, as you say, this is Sega, and in them being too dumb to realize this rests our hope :P.

On one hand, Fire Emblem Heroes has a rich history of art/music/characters/gameplay to draw upon
    On the other hand, even minor whales in FEH generate more money for Nintendo than people that literally bought every FE game that was ever released in the West (e.g. if one person bought 10 FE games at full price, that's still less than $1000 dollars of revenue for Nintendo, and $1000 total spend is definitely a minor whale for a mobile game).

l_g on
    Here's the 2nd stratum music from Etrian Odyssey 3, also remade for EOX. This one sounds exactly like I was hoping and expecting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzBEC8DATbk

Feb 5.

English title is Etrian Odyssey Nexus.

Sure. Nexus is fine.

• Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    AW HELL YEAH! Now, I just gotta get around to playing V :P

Hmmm. After listening to the music from EQX itself I noticed it reminds me of late 90's era PC Engine CD tracks. You know, early Ys stuff?

Who exactly is the composer this time around?

edited August 2018
    MotherfXXker, it's the same goddamn guy!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuzo_Koshiro

This fella composed the other half of my video game soul. Right up there with Nobuo Uematsu.

You may know him as the bad ass who gave us Streets of f'kng Rage, Shenmue, The Legend of Oasis, Actf'knRaiser, Ys 1 and 2, and f'kning Xanadu. It's like getting jrpg Elvis to do your soundtrack.

Etrigan and 7th Dragon? They were HIS babies. Composition wise at least.

Oh that's right. He did the original Sonic the Hedgehog. *dies of fanboy*

Mostlyjoe13 on
    edited August 2018
    Still Koshiro, I think.

Hey, people working on this, now. https://reinasakuraba.github.io/EO-Skill-Sim/eox/

I like that one branch of passive skills is only "anime goes here" protagonist-AI.
    Front and Back Guard are pretty cheap, so I don't mind the split. Looks like they did it so that guarding the back would be more effective than guarding the front.

The stances have been reworked a lot. It's not like the old Ronin.

Hah, there's a force-break that's just poison.

Kind of want to try Pugilist/Nightseeker.

Harbinger looks tough as hell.

PLA on
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Feb 5.

English title is Etrian Odyssey Nexus.
    *screams in complete joy*

This is one of the fastest turnarounds for localizing an EO game to North America. Part 5 took like a whole year.

It's cute that IV-classes still have Proficiency.