As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Going to Ireland!

MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
So I won a trip to Dublin and and will be going in October. It's for a week but we are thinking of pushing our return flight back 5-7 days. I have a list of things I would like to do in Ireland that will fill most of the week and then we plan to go over to London once our free hotel is up, after that I'm running out of steam on what we should fit in.

Ireland things
- Game of Thrones tour in Belfast - plan for after our free hotel since it starts at 8am. I know there is a tour from Dublin as well but it doesn't cover anything cool like The Giant's Causeway.
- Falconry - there is a place about 45 minutes from Dublin, or the more expensive option, Ashford Castle
- My wife wants to go horseback riding somewhere, planning for the same day as falconry
- Dublin things - Gaol tour, Guinness Storehouse, museums, there is a theatre festival going on when we are there, etc.
- some other things I have written down elsewhere

England things
- normal sights - Big Ben, National Gallery, Stonehenge, castles, etc.
- and that's about it, I figure 1 day in London, 1 day for Stonehenge

Besides that we might make a day trip to France on the train to the Louvre and Eiffel Tower.

Any other must-see things I should check out?

iRevert wrote: »
Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
Steam: MyiagrosX27

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Kiss the Blarney Stone

• Options
    That is one of the options we are looking at if we make a day trip around Ireland as it is around a 3-4 hour drive from Dublin, Cliffs of Moher is also somewhat near that region.

Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Consider moving operations to Belfast for a day or two once you're done in Dublin since you're going anyway. If you do check out the Titanic Quarter, especially the Nomadic. Also see if you've time for a bus trip to the Giant's Causeway, the North Coast is probably a day's investment from Belfast. Oh and Belfast used Pound Sterling, not Euro.

Stonehenge is a fair bit away from London, yet it doesn't take the whole day to see once you're there. Consider something like Bristol or Bath since you're not too far from them.

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    Just a general suggestion, partly based on a recent talk with a US tourist on a train. Do not try to cram to much into your visit - doing so sort of ruins things.
    The guy I talked to was nearing the end of a two week visit to Holland, Belgium, Germany and Denmark so we talked a bit about what he had experienced and he himself brought up that he wished he had done it differently. He basically said that less is more.
    So I'd suggest either skipping France, or perhaps leaving out something else and at least spend a couple of days in France. Allow for time to let experiences sink in, cramming a lot in is sort of like watching the highlights of a football game - only interrupted by having to travel and organize.

I haven't been to Ireland, but I've been to London and Paris. In both places there is a lot to see and by that I mean A LOT. Both cities have some amazing museums and then there is of course all the iconic spots + there is the food and just general city life.

Many of the major tourist sites allows for buying tickets on-line which can save a lot of time.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    If your wife likes crystals at all go down to Waterford and do the factory tour. They give HUGE discounts and offer to ship it back if you're into that. My wife wants to go back now that we're well enough off to do the tour again to buy a bunch.

We enjoyed Bunratty castle more than Blarney. Bunratty felt like a better experience and the mead there was pretty good. I think it's not far from Dublin. They even do a dinner/theater type show in the castle that you could go to if you plan ahead. My wife and I were unaware of it so we didn't get to attend it.

We also spent a night in Dromoland Castle which is a 2-3 hour drive from Dublin. They had horseback riding, falconry, archery, and golf. It's a hotel that used to be a castle and was absolutely gorgeous. Probably my favorite part of the trip outside of the Cliffs of Moher.

The Trinity College Library and the Book of Kells was awesome to see as well while we were there.

My wife and I went for our honeymoon and were only there a week so I'm sure there is plenty we did not see, but those were the highlights to me.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Thanks for the suggestions. After looking at the cost just to go to London and spend a few days there we are going to stick to the 5 days with free hotel. Somehow taking a ferry from Dublin to England works out to $200 CAD, and that's just standing room. Weekend hotels are currently booking around the $175-250 range as well.

Checked out the Bunratty Banquet and that definitely looks like something we might change around for one of our days.

Myiagros on
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Just a heads up, that ferry ride can be a bit rough if you're susceptible to motion sickness.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Big Ben is covered in scaffolding for the next couple of years.

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    I think the best day we had during our Ireland trip might have been a stop in Kilkenny. It was just a cute town with a castle, shopping, green space, and a nightlife that wasn't all tourists, but also didn't shut down early like some sleepy village.

Unless you have accommodations in Dublin included I would consider renting a car and driving around staying at B&Bs. Dublin and Belfast were cool but the countryside and small towns made longer lasting memories I think.

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    Myiagros wrote: »
    Somehow taking a ferry from Dublin to England works out to $200 CAD, and that's just standing room.

Check out what it cost to fly. I just did a quick check and found two tickets Dublin->London for $140 CAD and if you book tickets well in advance they are usually cheaper.

Do note though that there are four airports which designate them self as London airports, but really it is only City and Heathrow that are so, the two others not so much and especially Luton I recommend avoiding like the plague. Luton is chaos, under construction and has been scored as the fifth worst airport in the World(It helps a little if you have a lounge card, but that is only for departures).

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    That is one of the options we are looking at if we make a day trip around Ireland as it is around a 3-4 hour drive from Dublin, Cliffs of Moher is also somewhat near that region.

whoa whoa hang on

What you see on a map is not really the expected travel time. There is no day trip around Ireland, really... Dublin --> Galway can take anything from 3-5 hours or longer depending on traffic and whether farmers are driving sheep or whatever along the main roads, and you still have to come back. It's easy to spend 8 hours driving just to do an hour of sightseeing.

Each region is really the guts of a day. Think about it like that... if you decide to drive from Dublin to kiss the blarney stone (which is the 2nd neatest thing on those grounds - there's an ancient bloodstained druid altar there, it's way cooler) you're not going to make it to Claire and see the Burren and the Cliffs of Moher in the same day. Might as well stay somewhere nearby and have a few pints, see the cliffs the next morning, then head on to Galway area and drive back to Dublin that night.

Now, granted I haven't been there since 2005, but I feel like they probably haven't managed to upgrade their entire road infrastructure to a modern one in the last decade... it simply takes forever to get anywhere in Ireland.

edit: I'm told that my mother in law was there last year and it's basically identical so, yeah. Driving efficiently around Ireland is not a thing.

spool32 on
  • Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

whoa whoa hang on

What you see on a map is not really the expected travel time. There is no day trip around Ireland, really... Dublin --> Galway can take anything from 3-5 hours or longer depending on traffic and whether farmers are driving sheep or whatever along the main roads, and you still have to come back. It's easy to spend 8 hours driving just to do an hour of sightseeing.

Each region is really the guts of a day. Think about it like that... if you decide to drive from Dublin to kiss the blarney stone (which is the 2nd neatest thing on those grounds - there's an ancient bloodstained druid altar there, it's way cooler) you're not going to make it to Claire and see the Burren and the Cliffs of Moher in the same day. Might as well stay somewhere nearby and have a few pints, see the cliffs the next morning, then head on to Galway area and drive back to Dublin that night.

Now, granted I haven't been there since 2005, but I feel like they probably haven't managed to upgrade their entire road infrastructure to a modern one in the last decade... it simply takes forever to get anywhere in Ireland.

edit: I'm told that my mother in law was there last year and it's basically identical so, yeah. Driving efficiently around Ireland is not a thing.

I agree with spool on this also. My wife and I rented a car and drove ourselves. We tried to take a shorter route using Google Maps to cut the Ring of Kerry in half basically. We ended up on some one lane mountain road with her yelling OH SHIT for about 3 hours while holding onto the emergency break. Our "detour" that should've saved us 30-45 minutes according to Google Maps added on about 3 hours of drive time.

It's an awesome story now, but I literally thought we were an angry sheep away from being splattered off the side of a mountain at the time.