As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Subnautica] Below Zero Launch on May 14th

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Still haven't actually finished this. I know what I need to do, I'm just waiting for a less stressful period in my life to finish this because god damn does it stress me out.

People talk about playing this in VR and it's like what the fuck is wrong with you, the first time a Reaper swims out of murky water you will actually shit yourself.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    And if you have a prawn suit, you can go down into various places with large deposits (like the Jellyshroom Cave) and get all the lithium you need.

• Options
    RiboflavinRiboflavin Registered User regular
    I don't know whats too far with spoilers on this forum so I'll avoid plot and talk vehicles. I got the Cyclops built finally. I was greatly disappointed with its base depth capabilities. There was a place 800-900m down I was waiting to go because its too hard to get out of with the Prawn suit. When I built the cyclops that I thought was going to solve this all I got was disappointment. Having no idea where the upgrades are means I now need to search randomly hoping to find them.

I did have fun buildiing lockers and a Bulbo farm in my Cyclops. Now when I explore I can store a metric S**T ton of stuff in it. I can stop being irritated by "I guess I'll leave that shale deposit alone." But HOLY CRIPES it eats power like Godzilla at an all you can eat Japanese people buffet. I'll be making spare power cells as well before I go explore na na land. I was sad I couldn't put a bioreactor in it to supplement power.

So the plan for tonight: Finish stocking Cyclops. Build massive Pipe to ocean floor because its funny. I wonder if that counts as 1 ladder or I have to build a ladder per section. Go explore area around lifepods I already explored looking for things I may have missed.

I can't explain how much I am enjoying this game. I have never played a survival game but if they all are like this I may have to branch out into other drugs... I mean games...definitely games.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    It counts as one ladder. And it's instant travel.

Warning: it's also laggy as hell.

Also with the depth upgrade you can do most of the game in the Seamoth. Down to 900m!

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    The movement controls in VR aren't awesome anyway.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Was looking through my games last night and finally decided to give this a full run. I beat it last night!

I think I'll install some QoL mods for my next run...

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Riboflavin wrote: »
    I don't know whats too far with spoilers on this forum so I'll avoid plot and talk vehicles. I got the Cyclops built finally. I was greatly disappointed with its base depth capabilities. There was a place 800-900m down I was waiting to go because its too hard to get out of with the Prawn suit. When I built the cyclops that I thought was going to solve this all I got was disappointment. Having no idea where the upgrades are means I now need to search randomly hoping to find them.

I did have fun buildiing lockers and a Bulbo farm in my Cyclops. Now when I explore I can store a metric S**T ton of stuff in it. I can stop being irritated by "I guess I'll leave that shale deposit alone." But HOLY CRIPES it eats power like Godzilla at an all you can eat Japanese people buffet. I'll be making spare power cells as well before I go explore na na land. I was sad I couldn't put a bioreactor in it to supplement power.

So the plan for tonight: Finish stocking Cyclops. Build massive Pipe to ocean floor because its funny. I wonder if that counts as 1 ladder or I have to build a ladder per section. Go explore area around lifepods I already explored looking for things I may have missed.

I can't explain how much I am enjoying this game. I have never played a survival game but if they all are like this I may have to branch out into other drugs... I mean games...definitely games.

I was beyond disappointed I couldn't plunk a nuke reactor in mine (I had to settle for nuclearizing my fairly deep main-base). But yeah, I definitely keep one wall-locker stocked with power cells and another with batteries (the battery locker is next to a fabricator so I can make new power cells if I absolutely need to).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    The thermal reactor mod significantly reduces the need to swap out cells for the 'clops.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Death Sweet Death.

I died and I think i had a particular upgrade module in my inventory. I respawned at base and now don't have it. I went to where I think I died and don't see it there. What happens to your stuff when you die? The only answer I could find was from early access and they said it was gone for good.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Everything drops when you die, but some items (like vehicle upgrade modules) are so teeny tiny that they are next to impossible to see if they sink to the floor.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    The thermal reactor mod significantly reduces the need to swap out cells for the 'clops.

definitely, especially mid-late game since you're in warmer waters all the time anyway. It doesn't even matter that the lava larvae sucking away at your batteries. As others have mentioned, because of this, Ion batteries don't seem to matter much because the thermal reactor just recharges as you go anyway so who cares what the battery capacity is.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I had a Thermal Reactor on my Cyclops when I took it down to the Lakes. Enough Lava Larva will very much put a dent in your energy stores.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Ianator wrote: »
    I had a Thermal Reactor on my Cyclops when I took it down to the Lakes. Enough Lava Larva will very much put a dent in your energy stores.

Pulsing the shield will knock them off.

Or swimming out to make larva-kababs

• Options
    edited July 2018
    lol. Im finally finishing up the Neebs subnautica series since now I don't have to worry about spoilers. Now I know where the thread title comes from. It's weird watching him take heat damage all the time, yet ignore the prawn suit that would protect him and the drill arm would solve a lot of their resource issues

As fun as the show is, their bickering does grate on me a bit though.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    VoodooV wrote: »
    lol. Im finally finishing up the Neebs subnautica series since now I don't have to worry about spoilers. Now I know where the thread title comes from. It's weird watching him take heat damage all the time, yet ignore the prawn suit that would protect him and the drill arm would solve a lot of their resource issues

As fun as the show is, their bickering does grate on me a bit though.

You don't even need the Prawn. Did he not even make the heat resist suit?

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Apparently not. Possibly because the "pee water" suit offered the opportunity for more low comedy.

• Options
    Ok, still loving this game.

I am in a place. Its Deep. I could not figure out how to get my cyclops down here so I took my Prawn suit. I have come across lava and my first set of blue green crystals to use for upgrades. However it is 8 million miles from my cyclops and 16 million miles from my nearest base. It will be rough to get out before starving but I think I can make it.

Now to the question...

Is it worthwhile to build a base down there? ie. Will I be spending enough time down there that I won't want to keep making a 20 minute journey back to my main base? I have to go to my cyclops before coming back down to get some food (I ate my 2 salty fish I need to bring more)but my cyclops is stuffed to the gills with storage lockers full of stuff so I'm pretty sure i can bring enough stuff back for a small base. I could build a couple planters with some delicious Bulbo trees and a power cell recharger so I can leisurely explore.

So

Option 1-Build a small base to resupply so I don't have to leave while exploring the area.
    Option 2-Come back and run through the area in my prawn suit as fast as I can looking for plot stuff and crystals and never come back.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I personally never built a base outside of my main one. Creating small power cell charging stations can be helpful, but I spent so little time in the really deep areas that it seemed unnecessary. I had plenty of power, food, and water in my cyclops so I would just take it out on excursions as needed. I also didn't do a lot of exploring down there, finding out where I needed to go and what I needed to do and then getting in and getting out.

• Options
    My first base was between the shallows and the Aurora. When I finally expanded it was to the Lost River junction that's next to the really big blue/green tree before you go down deeper. The 2nd base was right next to a bunch of heat vents so powering the base was easy.

I never really turned my cyclops into a full mobile base, but when I was ready I took it and the Prawn down to the just before the lava castle outside the range of the sea dragons and that was my jumping off point with my prawn. I intended to make a 3rd base, but once I got the thermal reactor mods, it didn't seem like there was a need. I was fully powered almost all the time, the only thing I really had to go back for was water, but I had a ton of that on me. I think at some point, I'll go back and make that 3rd base just for grins now that I've finished the game. It's still just fun to mess around and explore every so often

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Ok, still loving this game.

I am in a place. Its Deep. I could not figure out how to get my cyclops down here so I took my Prawn suit. I have come across lava and my first set of blue green crystals to use for upgrades. However it is 8 million miles from my cyclops and 16 million miles from my nearest base. It will be rough to get out before starving but I think I can make it.

Now to the question...

Is it worthwhile to build a base down there? ie. Will I be spending enough time down there that I won't want to keep making a 20 minute journey back to my main base? I have to go to my cyclops before coming back down to get some food (I ate my 2 salty fish I need to bring more)but my cyclops is stuffed to the gills with storage lockers full of stuff so I'm pretty sure i can bring enough stuff back for a small base. I could build a couple planters with some delicious Bulbo trees and a power cell recharger so I can leisurely explore.

So

Option 1-Build a small base to resupply so I don't have to leave while exploring the area.
    Option 2-Come back and run through the area in my prawn suit as fast as I can looking for plot stuff and crystals and never come back.

I always built a depot at the cove tree and explored from there. Aside from the few places you go for plot and some resource gathering, there's not a lot of reason to STAY down there.

Also, the lava zones do have fish in them you could eat. If you have a thermal knife killing them with it cooks them at the same time. Water might be an issue down there.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    I did not see or sea (ah hah I crack me up) the fish but I was running from what I call "The damn teleporting Ocean Mantises..Mantisis...Manti."
    I'll look around. I have a couple bottles of water left and about half a Prawn charge it was food making me leave.

• Options
    I did not see or sea (ah hah I crack me up) the fish but I was running from what I call "The damn teleporting Ocean Mantises..Mantisis...Manti."
    I'll look around. I have a couple bottles of water left and about half a Prawn charge it was food making me leave.

Its definitely a good place to plop down at least a small room with a thermal reactor for charging batteries and the like.

• Options
    I finished the game and I am adding this to the small list of games I was sad to finish because i was having so much fun. I will hock a Kidney to buy the DLC. (Not mine of course)

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Has anyone else run into an FPS bug in the crab snake cavern?

If I look in a certain direction my FPS drop to the point where the game is almost frozen. Once I'm out of the caves though everything is back to normal.

• Options
    Anyone have any guidance on where to find drill arm parts? I've been stuck on missing one piece for like 8 hours now.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    You'd have to check a guide/map for that. The game will give you markers for every location that you need in order to progress but unless you put down your own beacons, the game won't show those markers after the first time you visit (unless they've changed that). Chances are pretty good that you've visited the place that has the parts and left it, which will make it a pain to find again yourself.

This link has a list of several locations where you can find the drill arm parts; fortunately, the drill is an essential item so it can be found in many places.

• Options
    yeah, I had to rely heavily on the wiki for finding parts. The map is too big to just casually come across wrecks and parts naturally without soaking up hours of time aimlessly wandering about.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Scanner rooms can help out a lot, but unless you have a mobile set up they can be a little bit of a pain to set up.

• Options
    using the console to get your map coordinates was pretty essential to finding stuff too.

• Options
    I'm up to five scanner bases with parts to construct two more pre-loaded in specific lockers on my Cyclops which also has six lockers full of titanium, four full of copper, and then one full locker of almost ever other raw ingredient I've discovered.

I didn't say I wasn't being productive while I tried to find the final piece of this god damn drill arm :P

• Options
    I'm up to five scanner bases with parts to construct two more pre-loaded in specific lockers on my Cyclops which also has six lockers full of titanium, four full of copper, and then one full locker of almost ever other raw ingredient I've discovered.

I didn't say I wasn't being productive while I tried to find the final piece of this god damn drill arm :P

You know you don't need the drill arm to finish the game right? Unless you used up all the ion cubes I guess.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

You know you don't need the drill arm to finish the game right? Unless you used up all the ion cubes I guess.

It's the easiest way to get kyanite, though I think there might also be some looser pieces lying around if you go deep enough.

I wouldn't call anything involving the Cyclops "productive". The thing is a massive time sink in pretty much every way, including actually using it.

jothki on
  • Options
    jothki wrote: »

It's the easiest way to get kyanite, though I think there might also be some looser pieces lying around if you go deep enough.

There are, yeah.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

Using the drill arm after grappling onto an aggressive sea creature has some therapeutic value to it.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options

It mostly started with me hunting for copper, because I always need more god damn copper, and being annoyed that there were big piles of copper (and other resources) just sitting there taunting me.

And then I came across a piece of the drill arm and was like FUCK YEAH! I'll totally have an excuse to take the Prawn out now!

Cut to eight hours later and a ton of wreck hunting and ridiculous resource gathering :P
    jothki wrote: »
    I wouldn't call anything involving the Cyclops "productive". The thing is a massive time sink in pretty much every way, including actually using it.

The resource gathering, not the Cyclops.

My Cyclops is just a mobile base. I don't particularly like taking the Sea Moth on a 2km cruise because I forgot to bring something. Usually it sits at or near the surface powered down and waiting for me to go back to it for whatever I happened to forget this time because I am apparently incapable of not forgetting at least one thing.

• Options
    Although I am a little sad there isn't a "Shaped Charge Distraction Torpedo"

That's it you adorable little sea monstrosity! Go get it! Go get it and make sure you chomp it real good, lil buddy!

• Options
    You don't even need much kyanite to build all the things you need to build that require it if I remember right.

But hey, subnautica isn't about need. It's about exploring and building bases and vehicles and other crazy fun things that aren't strictly required.

• Options
    Yeah I mean I know I could have finished the game 20+ hours ago if I followed a guide but doing dumb things like making sure every scanner base has a moon pool and a nuclear rector+one other power source is fun

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The only full base I build is down at the end of the
    Lost River, by the fumeroles looking out towards the giant tree.

That's the base where I put in everything, including a big glass-paneled bedroom with a view. And I like to live dangerously, so I pack the Cyclops with lockers for literally every usable resource type in the game to do an absolute minimum of backtracking anywhere ever. I build one minimal base before that just to get the tech I need to get down to that depth, and end up stripping much of that base for materials for the main base.

Gathering resources for basebuilding, up to and including literally having to pile everything in your own inventory to build things, got to be too tedious for me to want to do much of it. The game really should've let you pull resources from all nearby containers for construction, and I really would have liked an automated way to gather resources (particularly annoying ones like teeth).

Being able to go out and explore and return to a base that replenishes its own stores via drones would've been pretty nice. Then the game would've had a built-in way to let the player get creative with bases without consoling in a bunch of materials or not playing story mode.

• Options
    The only full base I build is down at the end of the
    Lost River, by the fumeroles looking out towards the giant tree.

That's the base where I put in everything, including a big glass-paneled bedroom with a view. And I like to live dangerously, so I pack the Cyclops with lockers for literally every usable resource type in the game to do an absolute minimum of backtracking anywhere ever. I build one minimal base before that just to get the tech I need to get down to that depth, and end up stripping much of that base for materials for the main base.

Gathering resources for basebuilding, up to and including literally having to pile everything in your own inventory to build things, got to be too tedious for me to want to do much of it. The game really should've let you pull resources from all nearby containers for construction, and I really would have liked an automated way to gather resources (particularly annoying ones like teeth).

Being able to go out and explore and return to a base that replenishes its own stores via drones would've been pretty nice. Then the game would've had a built-in way to let the player get creative with bases without consoling in a bunch of materials or not playing story mode.

Yeah with the copper issue I very much found myself wishing i could build some kind of shoddy drone that just scours the shallows for limestone chunks instead of doing it constantly.