As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Organized D&D/Adventurer's League play at PAX West 2018 ?!!!!!!

every day's greatevery day's great Registered User regular
edited July 2018 in PAX West
In 2016 D&D Adventurer's League (as well as "Acquisitions Inc. Internships") organized play was one of the most popular events at PAX Westprime.

At PAX West 2017, Wizards of the Coast pulled out and there was basically NO D&D organized play at all!! Adventurer's League was nowhere to be seen. Even Pathfinder/Paizo pulled out, as did Reaper miniatures! Chessex was there, but what is the use of a shiny new d20 without a D&D game in which to roll it?? Disappointment and sadness ensued!! :(

Let us never repeat that sad scenario!!!

So the question is: Is WotC going to be at PAX West 2018? If so, are they (or some of their minions, such as the semi-successful Baldman games) going to run organized D&D Adventurer's League and/or Acquisitions Inc. Internship play for the unwashed hordes of PAX D&D fanatics??

I certainly hope so!!

However - in the unfortunate even that WotC is NOT going to be there, can we still put together Organized D&D Gaming for PAX West 2018?? I believe Adventurer's League games can be run by anyone who wants to run them, and they are often run at game stores, comic shops, libraries, meetups, etc. with the cooperation of the venue and enthusiastic DMs and players!!

What is the word, O great ones??? :o

every day's great on

• The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    I am really hoping to play some Adventurer's League... I was disappointed by the lack of presence last year. West was my first time playing a tabletop RPG and I've begun DM'ing a 5e game as an eventual result. But I want to play :P

x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
  • kbschmidkbschmid Calgary, ABRegistered User regular
    My entire regular D&D group will be at PAX this year, so I'm sure we would be in somewhere - whether officially sanctioned or pop-up.

By day, a mild-mannered charity guy
    By night, a gamer.
    PAX Prime 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 18
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    What I know:
    • Wizard's Of The Coast pulled out in 2017 because HasCon was the following week. There is no HasCon this year, so I'd guess Wizard's will be back.
    • The schedule has not been published, and I'm unaware of any leaks from WotC confirming or denying anything.
    • Penny Arcade friend and AcqInc C Team member Kate Welch works at WotC. On D&D.
    • It is too late to get something on the schedule now.
    I'd say that despite us knowing nothing concrete, the chances are pretty good Wizard's will bring D&D back to PAX West in 2018.

YoungFrey on
  • TashannocTashannoc Registered User regular
    It's looking like there will be SOMETHING at PAX this year. Whether it will be as large as the presence in 2016, or be tiny like 2014 hasn't been revealed yet. It's unlikely to move back into the annex basement, I would guess.

Details are supposedly forthcoming. I'm going to keep making investigation checks until something turns up.

FYI to the OP, D&D at PAX has always been primarily run by volunteers, not WOTC. They've just helped securing the space, which is what went wrong last year. Your DM isn't getting paid to be there, she's advocating for the hobby she loves. Even when Baldman Games has been hired to do the organizing, most of the people running things are volunteers. Remember to thank your DM if you have a good time.

• ddt58ddt58 Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    My understanding, based on comments from the local (Seattle-area) D & D Adventurer's League organizer, is that Pax West will have Tier 1 modules for the new Season 8 AL book. For those who don't know, Tier 1 is limited to characters from levels 1 through 4. I really enjoyed the Acquisitions Inc. tie-in game in 2016, so I wish they would also do something like that again.

• every day's greatevery day's great Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Any further or official info on this? I would love to see D&D Adventurers’ League organized play at PAX. It would also be great to have some way of finding out about and/or coordinating any other organized D&D (and other RPG) play at PAX as well as informal or pickup games that people could join.

Last year there I think there was some D&D at the retro tabletop area but main tabletop didn’t seem to have any D&D coordination or game matching?

And is there any official word on D&D Acq. Inc. internships play, Wizards, Pathfinder, Reaper minis, etc.?

every day's great on
    Tashannoc wrote: »
    FYI to the OP, D&D at PAX has always been primarily run by volunteers, not WOTC. They've just helped securing the space, which is what went wrong last year. Your DM isn't getting paid to be there, she's advocating for the hobby she loves. Even when Baldman Games has been hired to do the organizing, most of the people running things are volunteers. Remember to thank your DM if you have a good time.

DMs rule and are greatly appreciated! :biggrin:
    (Currently running 5e game, which is massive fun though I also like being a regular player sometimes, especially in cool things like multi-table games and acq. Inc.!)

Regarding space, last year there was a lot of available tabletop space esp. in free play areas. I think some of it could be commandeered for D&D if needed.

• DMPandaDMPanda Registered User new member
    This year there is indeed going to be Adventurers League play. we have the support this year and will be doing tier 1 intro adventures for season 8, much like we did season 5’s intro adventures for PAX West 2016. Unless something goes sideways this is the plan. And I hope nothing does *knock on wood* as I’m signed up to DM 16hours over the entire weekend.

DMPanda wrote: »
    This year there is indeed going to be Adventurers League play. we have the support this year and will be doing tier 1 intro adventures for season 8, much like we did season 5’s intro adventures for PAX West 2016. Unless something goes sideways this is the plan. And I hope nothing does *knock on wood* as I’m signed up to DM 16hours over the entire weekend.

If someone were interested in volunteering to DM, is there somewhere where that person could go?

By night, a gamer.
  • rahnawynrahnawyn Registered User regular
    If we haven't participated in AL before, but have played a lot of 5E, should we create an AL character beforehand or will there be pregens provided at PAX?

Thanks! :)

• DMPandaDMPanda Registered User new member
    kbschmid wrote: »
    DMPanda wrote: »

If someone were interested in volunteering to DM, is there somewhere where that person could go?

The preparation for events are done quite in advance. But I’d always ask about next year and future events. And who knows there could always be empty tables that need a DM.
    rahnawyn wrote: »
    If we haven't participated in AL before, but have played a lot of 5E, should we create an AL character beforehand or will there be pregens provided at PAX?

Thanks! :)

Pregens will be available but by all means if you prepare your own character following the AL guidelines you’re free to use it.

Any further updates? It looks like WotC isn't in the Expo hall, but maybe they are elsewhere at PAX? Was Adventurer's League able to get space???

Any further updates? It looks like WotC isn't in the Expo hall, but maybe they are elsewhere at PAX? Was Adventurer's League able to get space???

Usually they end up in the Annex. Will have to see the whole map when I can get access to the app...

By night, a gamer.
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    kbschmid wrote: »

Usually they end up in the Annex. Will have to see the whole map when I can get access to the app...

In 2016 they had the whole Paramount Theater. The Skybridge has a space for Magic The Gathering. But that is so small it'd really only be good for introducing people to the game. You couldn't do any panel recording or tournaments there.

• LackeyLackey [E] PAX Tabletop Tournaments Registered User regular
    I'll leave it up to the official D&D Adventurer's League rep to provide more details about times, sign-up process, specific adventures being run, etc.

But D&D Adventurer's League will be located in the Hyatt Olive 8 this year, Level 3, in the Steel Room. It was last located here in 2015. The sign-up station will be in the hallway outside of the breakout rooms on this level.

There will also be the Classic RPG Library (run by the Alexandria RPG Library, with 1500 RPG books from across the entire history of roleplaying games, with dozens and dozens of different obscure and mainstream game systems included), in the next room, available for play.

I will include more details about all board game, miniatures and RPG happenings at PAX West when I post my annual Everything Tabletop thread here on the forums in the coming week.

• jdwjdw Registered User regular
    Sounds good. This year I intend to to join the Adventurer's League. How long is a typical session?

TylKYeQ.png
    edited August 2018
    Lackey wrote: »
    I'll leave it up to the official D&D Adventurer's League rep to provide more details about times, sign-up process, specific adventures being run, etc.

But D&D Adventurer's League will be located in the Hyatt Olive 8 this year, Level 3, in the Steel Room. It was last located here in 2015. The sign-up station will be in the hallway outside of the breakout rooms on this level.

There will also be the Classic RPG Library (run by the Alexandria RPG Library, with 1500 RPG books from across the entire history of roleplaying games, with dozens and dozens of different obscure and mainstream game systems included), in the next room, available for play.

I will include more details about all board game, miniatures and RPG happenings at PAX West when I post my annual Everything Tabletop thread here on the forums in the coming week.
    (Yes, those details would definitely be helpful!)
    It is great (!!) that D&D Adventurer's League is coming back to PAX this year!! :biggrin:
    Classic RPG Library is remarkable - it could be interesting and fun to try to play or observe some games if anyone knows how to run them.
    Thanks to everyone who is a part of bringing D&D (and other tabletop RPG goodness) to PAX "West" 2018!!

every day's great on
    edited August 2018
    jdw wrote: »
    Sounds good. This year I intend to to join the Adventurer's League. How long is a typical session?
    I believe AL usually features two sorts of sessions: short two-hour "learn to play" sessions, which is about enough time to run one or two short encounters (and usually featuring a bit of exploration, roleplaying/dialogue, and combat), and longer four-hour sessions which is enough time for a mini-adventure with several encounters where you can often achieve some larger objective as a party.

Sometimes there are also multiple adventures of each type so you can potentially play more than one (which of course you will want to after the first one!) This can also provide an option if there is an AL adventure that you have already played.

every day's great on
  • CelticKevinCelticKevin Everyone is chum to the ill tempered sea bass PDXishRegistered User regular
    I’m so excited!

The lack of a substantial D&D presence last year really left me wondering if Pax was still a thing for me...

I’m so glad D&D is back.

2016 may always be a personal highlight, because of the WOTC presence, the little D&D gift shop and the well earned Acq Inc internship by my characters. Previous years running con specials and battle interactives were also fantastic!

• onetasonetas Registered User new member
    edited August 2018
    How does one volunteer to dm at PAX? Been looking around online and can't seem to find any info but would love to introduce some people to this great game!

onetas on
    onetas wrote: »
    How does one volunteer to dm at PAX? Been looking around online and can't seem to find any info but would love to introduce some people to this great game!

I'll admit I'm not certain any more. There used to be a Yahoo/Google group for volunteers but there wasn't any info about it this year. I volunteered 2014-2016, was sorely disappointed last year that there was no organized play, and I'm a little disappointed not to have a chance to DM this year. I'm looking forward to playing the adventure this year, however.

• cursecurse Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Tashannoc wrote: »
    onetas wrote: »

I'll admit I'm not certain any more. There used to be a Yahoo/Google group for volunteers but there wasn't any info about it this year. I volunteered 2014-2016, was sorely disappointed last year that there was no organized play, and I'm a little disappointed not to have a chance to DM this year. I'm looking forward to playing the adventure this year, however.

I thought I saw sign-ups for DMs and other volunteers were at warhorn.net but I'm not sure if that's still going on or if even that was the official way to sign up.

7lcw1cifdzb4.png
    @curse Thank you! I logged in to Warhorn.net and found the sign ups for West/Prime. There were a few slots left open and I was able to sign up for a couple sessions.

• LabRatLabRat Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    FYI after a 2 hour wait this morning they let us know it's not signups this year but first come/line up at the time you want. Thought I'd mention since they didn't bother to...

LabRat on
  • IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Does anyone know the session times? Was interested in hitting this up but not being able to sign up for a time kinda hampers the plan.

IncreaseBlue on
  • jdwjdw Registered User regular
    Need to change rooms. It was fun but too loud. The DM had to shout.

TylKYeQ.png
  • AgentofOrangeAgentofOrange Registered User regular
    Hey I’m able and willing to DM a 5E DnD one off.
    I have a printed dungeon, and ten premade level 5 characters.

Does anyone have any info they can share that could help me find players?

edited September 2018
    jdw wrote: »
    Need to change rooms. It was fun but too loud. The DM had to shout.
    Yeah things got louder and louder, and then people had to talk louder to be heard - which further increased the noise volume!! ;-/

every day's great on
  • Rhea_starstormRhea_starstorm Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I really appericated this being present this year. I had a ton of fun but agree about the noise/space

• setfunction_zerosetfunction_zero Registered User new member
    Necro-ing thread, but for 2019. Does anyone have an idea who the organizers are for AL at this year's event? Will there be a warhorn?

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Necro-ing thread, but for 2019. Does anyone have an idea who the organizers are for AL at this year's event? Will there be a warhorn?
    please make a new thread for 2019 :)

Geth, close this thread

• GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative zerzhul. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.