Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Virginia: North enough to be hated by the South and South enough to be hated by the North

11617181921

Posts

  • ChanusChanus Sugoi! ^_____^Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »
    People get support and sympathy when they show they are capable of providing it to others. If you are running as a family values, anti choice, focus on wholesome American values Republican and I find out you like Bigfoot porn then I'm mocking you for it. You want tolerance, acceptance and understanding of people's differences? Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

    It comes back to tolerance as peace treaty - you want people to be tolerant of you then you have to be tolerant of others.

    like, it is easy to fall into the trap of being walked over, but

    you can't wield tolerance as a cudgel and only afford it to those you deign worthy enough to have earned it

    you have to walk the higher path, you can't just only use it when it's convenient to your ends

    (this is absolutely not the same as the fallacy of bipartisanship)

    No, tolerance as peace treaty is the only way to solve the paradox of tolerance. It's not about being "worthy" or "earning it" - it's about that the protection of tolerance will only be given to those who are themselves tolerant. That's how peace treaties work.

    i think maybe i'm not talking about what you're talking about

    which is probably on me

    **Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

    Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    no one is mocking him for his kink

    they're mocking him for being a huge hypocrite

    Are you saying that about here or the whole media thing it has become?

    Because out there folks are definitely mocking him for his kink and using the excuse of hypocrisy as justification as why it's okay (or not even bothering to justify it at all.) It is a thing and to an extent, it normalizes mocking folks because of their kinks.

    Dude's a Nazi and that didn't result in anywhere near the uproar and derision that liking Bigfoot did.

    MrMisterChanusPreachermonikerGundiElvenshaejdarksunEdith Upwards
  • MrMisterMrMister A pup must first get in the water to be successful as a seal!Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    i do see the uneasiness in mocking someone's fetishes when really it's nobody's business and it's not a very progressive thing to do

    not to the same degree, but it always grosses me out when a conservative politician gets outed as gay or whatever and the left just latches on gleefully mocking the person for being gay (ostensibly because they are a hypocrite)

    but like

    it's got to be a horrible life being a closeted gay conservative

    i dunno

    it's not really the same

    but i can understand a similar distaste for the mocking

    absolutely, not ostensibly. I couldn't care less if he draws bigfoot with a 20' donger, but I will absolutely call him out for it because he plans to give everything he has to make everyone else miserable over what their preferences are (aside from straight people obviously)

    i guess what i mean is the "hypocrite" reason often gets buried under actually ridiculing the thing that doesn't really deserve ridicule

    Yes. In the closet cases you bring up—whether real, as in actually confirmed cases, or just as alleged against all homophobic republicans—the gleeful reactions are unsubtly homophobic and the whole thing has nothing to do with a high minded concern for hypocrisy and everything to do with open season for heteronormative toxic masculinity.

    Anyone who gloats over someone for being in the closet doesn’t know what the fuck they’re talking about and should wash their mouth out with soap.

    (In other news: this very specific thing is a sore spot for me)

    Re Bigfoot: politicians are unprincipled opportunists because that seems to be what wins, and so of course they would seize on some random Instagram post to kinkshame their opponent as some kind of sex pervert. I find it offputting and dumb but at least they don’t seem to be leaning into it?

    ChanusPreacherElvenshae
  • ChanusChanus Sugoi! ^_____^Registered User regular
    yeah, i mean, i am not at all offended or upset by the bigfoot shaming

    i just, kind of get the uneasiness people might have with it

    **Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

    Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
    Preacher
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I just want an expert on bigfoot to weigh in here. Where is Matt Moneymaker? (this is a real dude I'm not just like making up a name).

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    Chanus
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    no one is mocking him for his kink

    they're mocking him for being a huge hypocrite

    Are you saying that about here or the whole media thing it has become?

    Because out there folks are definitely mocking him for his kink and using the excuse of hypocrisy as justification as why it's okay (or not even bothering to justify it at all.) It is a thing and to an extent, it normalizes mocking folks because of their kinks.

    Dude's a Nazi and that didn't result in anywhere near the uproar and derision that liking Bigfoot did.

    here

  • ChanusChanus Sugoi! ^_____^Registered User regular
    did we just do the thing where everybody's right because no one's arguing about exactly the same thing?

    **Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

    Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
  • TaramoorTaramoor Registered User regular
    The guy's a nazi who wishes the south had won the Civil War.

    Unfortunately, he's a Republican so being a nazi/confederate/white supremacist doesn't surprise people anymore. Bigfoot dong, though? That sticks in someone's mind.

    215521961_dpKC4-2100x20000.jpg

    jmcdonaldMoridin889
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    no one is mocking him for his kink

    they're mocking him for being a huge hypocrite

    Pretty sure both is happening. It is gross, and also unsurprising. Politics ain't beanbag and all that. Hunter Thompson put it best.
    Real happiness, in politics, is a wide-open hammer shot on some poor bastard who knows he's been trapped, but can't flee

    ElvenshaejmcdonaldEdith Upwards
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    I feel less bad about people kink shaming him when I realized that since he's a white supremacist he's probably using "Bigfoot" as a stand in for black people. Which is fucked up on like 6 different levels.

  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    That's not necessarily true my dude. There are plenty of people out there that believe in white supremacy and sweet sweet big foot dick.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    XaquinGundi
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    That's not necessarily true my dude. There are plenty of people out there that believe in white supremacy and sweet sweet big foot dick.

    well .... one anyway

    monikerElvenshae
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    DOZENS OF US! Err him dozens of him.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    XaquinElvenshaeschuss
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    That's not necessarily true my dude. There are plenty of people out there that believe in white supremacy and sweet sweet big foot dick.

    I would think they go more for abominable snowman porn...

  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    That's not necessarily true my dude. There are plenty of people out there that believe in white supremacy and sweet sweet big foot dick.

    I would think they go more for abominable snowman porn...

    Yetis? For a big foot man? You sicken me moniker.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    XaquinElvenshae
  • MrMisterMrMister A pup must first get in the water to be successful as a seal!Registered User regular
    Is there any reason to think that this guy is actually into Bigfoot porn, as opposed to the explanation his campaign gave, that it was just an inside joke with his friends that got poached off a couple insta posts to try to embarrass him?

    Let alone that it’s actually a proxy for raceplay or w/e

    Couscous
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    awwwww

    I thought "he's just into it" was their explanation

  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    Is there any reason to think that this guy is actually into Bigfoot porn, as opposed to the explanation his campaign gave, that it was just an inside joke with his friends that got poached off a couple insta posts to try to embarrass him?

    Let alone that it’s actually a proxy for raceplay or w/e

    Well no, but come on MM let me have this one. Just for a little bit ok.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    Xaquin
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Basically this is the day that the Xanga generation always knew would come. This kind of thing is going to keep happening, to varying degrees, in increasing frequency from now on.

    Of course, as Syndrome might have said, "When everyone's internet-freaky, no one is."

  • FryFry Registered User regular
    Had someone come to my door over the weekend handing out flyers for Cockburn.

    Assuming the person was pronouncing the name correctly, the "ck" is silent. Who knew?

    Jragghen
  • TaramoorTaramoor Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Had someone come to my door over the weekend handing out flyers for Cockburn.

    Assuming the person was pronouncing the name correctly, the "ck" is silent. Who knew?

    It's John Bay-ner, not the other thing.

    It's Deek Ar-may.

    Fronk-en-steen.

    If your last name makes people giggle or makes them uncomfortable, and you want to get elected, either pronounce it differently or change it entirely.

  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    It's a day ending in Y, so Republicans must be breaking election laws.

    https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/sitting-reps-campaign-collected-dead-mans-signature-on-challengers-behalf
    A Virginia judge appointed a special prosecutor Tuesday to look into a case of potential forgery and other election law violations after multiple suspicious signatures were found on a petition to get an independent congressional candidate on the ballot, the Richmond Times-Dispatch reported.

    But there’s a big twist: The signatures for that independent candidate, Shaun Brown, were collected by paid campaign staffers for the incumbent Republican candidate in the race, Rep. Scott Taylor (R-VA).

    Taylor beat Brown, who was then running as a Democrat, in the 2016 congressional election. Brown was subsequently indicted for fraud, a totally separate story, late last year. She announced her independent candidacy in March of this year.

    What has emerged, potentially, is an effort to use fraudulent signatures to add an independent candidate to the ballot, in order to divert votes away from a legitimate Democratic challenger.

    WAVY’s Andy Fox has reported that at least four names on a petition collected someone on the Taylor campaign’s payroll “appear to have been forged.” One of the forged names, according to earlier reports, is a dead man’s. Another is a woman’s who moved out of the state years ago.

    jdarksunChanusFryMillArbitraryDescriptor
  • ChanusChanus Sugoi! ^_____^Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Fry wrote: »
    Had someone come to my door over the weekend handing out flyers for Cockburn.

    Assuming the person was pronouncing the name correctly, the "ck" is silent. Who knew?

    It's John Bay-ner, not the other thing.

    It's Deek Ar-may.

    Fronk-en-steen.

    If your last name makes people giggle or makes them uncomfortable, and you want to get elected, either pronounce it differently or change it entirely.

    always confused me why anthony weiner pronounces it “weener”

    oh i guess for the pics

    **Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

    Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    It's a (pre-emptive) state of emergency:
    http://www.charlottesville.org/Home/Components/News/News/9716/635
    “Declaring this state of emergency in advance of the anniversary and the related planned events will help us ensure that the state and the city have all available resources to support emergency responders in case they're needed," said Governor Northam. "Virginia continues to mourn the three Virginians who lost their lives in the course of the demonstrations a year ago. We hope the anniversary of those events passes peacefully."

    This weekend, Charlottesville is restricting access to about 12 blocks of the downtown area.
    http://www.charlottesville.org/Home/Components/News/News/9718/635
    CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - Effective the evening of August 10, 2018, the City of Charlottesville will establish a defined security area within downtown. There will be two entry points for pedestrians to access the security area. Law enforcement personnel will be positioned at the entry points at 1st Street S & Water Street and at 2nd Street SE & Water Street.

    By order of the City Manager of the City of Charlottesville, the following items are prohibited within the downtown security area: BB Guns, Pellet Guns, Air Rifles or Pistols, Paintball Guns, Pellet Guns, Nunchucks, Tasers, Stun Guns, Heavy Gauge Metal Chains, Lengths of Lumber or Wood, Poles, Bricks, Rocks, Metal Beverage or Food Cans or Containers, Glass Bottles, Axes, Axe Handles, Hatchets, Ice Picks, Acidic or Caustic Materials, Hazardous or Flammable or Combustible Liquids, Skateboards, Swords, Knives, Daggers, Razor Blades or Other Sharp Items, Metal Pipes, Pepper or Bear Spray, Mace, Aerosol Sprays, Catapults, Wrist Rockets, Bats, Sticks, Clubs, Drones, Explosives, Fireworks, Open Fire or Open Flames, and Any Other Item Considered an “Implement of Riot.”

    Bullet Guns: still OK, though! Spoilered for snark:
    38799161_10104954885711189_495153563941470208_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=a850e3d4e8ef4ce99fe0d455de7a5285&oe=5C0548E2

    They're also apparently shutting down all Parks and Rec activities city-wide. Including swimming pools and such, which aren't located anywhere near the downtown area :/
    http://www.charlottesville.org/Home/Components/News/News/9710/635

  • ChanusChanus Sugoi! ^_____^Registered User regular
    dog made out of guns is definitely the next step for boston dynamics' robot abominations

    **Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

    Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
    FryArbitraryDescriptorRedTideElvenshaeDoodmannmonikerMoridin889Edith UpwardsFlying Couch
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    dog made out of guns is definitely the next step for boston dynamics' robot abominations

    Who could have predicted this calami- BLAM BLAM BLAM.

    DOGBOT HAS BOOPED TWO IN YOUR CHEST AND ONE IN YOUR SNOOT

    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    ChanusElvenshaeSpecial KArtereisKayne Red RobemonikerEdith Upwards
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    There's a poll out this morning with Stewart below the Crazification Factor.

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    FryjdarksunJragghenmiscellaneousinsanityChanusElvenshaeSyphonBluemonikerMoridin889Tofystedeth
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    There's a poll out this morning with Stewart below the Crazification Factor.

    Doubly awesome because that's getting into "well why should I turn out to vote" territory for some Republicans which might help with the House.

    enlightenedbum
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    There's a poll out this morning with Stewart below the Crazification Factor.

    Doubly awesome because that's getting into "well why should I turn out to vote" territory for some Republicans which might help with the House.

    There was an article in the Times about that very thing, unpopular top ticket R's hurting the bottom ticket ones, Stewart was specifically named.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    They'll vote for him and it'll be close

    Moore almost won in Alabama after all

  • MazzyxMazzyx I can dig it. Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    They'll vote for him and it'll be close

    Moore almost won in Alabama after all

    Virginia isn't Alabama.

    Also this doesn't mean resting on our laurels and not getting people out to vote. Vote. Get 10 people to vote and so on.

    But Stewart is sitting with this poll at 26%. Sadly there have been only 3 polls but overall on RCP he is at 31.7%.

    Virginia is not a close race. In a way this is almost a weird inverse of the governor's race last year that looked way closer than it turned out to be.

    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2018/senate/va/virginia_senate_stewart_vs_kaine-6321.html

    03x29di.png
    jdarksunPreacherJragghen
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Also, friendly reminder that Virginia went Clinton, not Trump, in 2016, and hasn't elected a Republican to Senate since 2002 (when John Warner ran unopposed), and has only elected one Republican governor during that stretch, too. Once more not to rest on the laurels, but Virginia is not the state of our youth.

    jdarksunFencingsaxmoniker
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Yeah the actually important thing about that number is that it could drive down turnout for the close House races.

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    Millmoniker
  • RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    There's a poll out this morning with Stewart below the Crazification Factor.

    It's amazing just how swift and drastic the shift blue has been for Virginia. Prior to 2008 we had consistently voted for a Republican presidential candidate for 50 years. Our state legislature was predominately Republican and we split Republican/Democrat on Senators, Representatives, and Governors. Now we have a Democratic Governor (second in as many terms), both Senators, a (stupidly) tied state legislature, and could wind up 8-4 or 9-3 in Representatives after this election.

    It's kind of stunning really. Whatever we're doing right here needs to be replicated elsewhere.

    FencingsaxmonikerMoridin889
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I think it's mostly having a bunch of well educated people who work for the government move into Northern Virginia. Generally not a GOP friendly crowd. It's how Georgia will eventually flip (with Atlanta). And why the industrial midwest is going the other way.

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    PreacherCaptain InertiaXaquinjdarksunFencingsaxJragghenDoodmannjmcdonaldSyphonBlueLabelmonikerMoridin889TicaldfjamlonelyahavaLoisLane
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    i especially like that VA didn’t just flip blue, but has flipped “fuck you” blue

    jdarksunFencingsaxJragghenmoniker
  • RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    I don't think that explanation is exhaustive though. There are plenty of other states that have burgeoning urban and suburban populations that are certainly shifting the political balance, but not anywhere near as fast or as extensively. I think there is more to it than just what demographics alone would dictate. The state is still predominantly white (~70%).

  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Roz wrote: »
    There's a poll out this morning with Stewart below the Crazification Factor.

    It's amazing just how swift and drastic the shift blue has been for Virginia. Prior to 2008 we had consistently voted for a Republican presidential candidate for 50 years. Our state legislature was predominately Republican and we split Republican/Democrat on Senators, Representatives, and Governors. Now we have a Democratic Governor (second in as many terms), both Senators, a (stupidly) tied state legislature, and could wind up 8-4 or 9-3 in Representatives after this election.

    It's kind of stunning really. Whatever we're doing right here needs to be replicated elsewhere.

    This would be North Carolina if it weren’t for the voter suppression

    PreacherJragghenRedTide
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Roz wrote: »
    There's a poll out this morning with Stewart below the Crazification Factor.

    It's amazing just how swift and drastic the shift blue has been for Virginia. Prior to 2008 we had consistently voted for a Republican presidential candidate for 50 years. Our state legislature was predominately Republican and we split Republican/Democrat on Senators, Representatives, and Governors. Now we have a Democratic Governor (second in as many terms), both Senators, a (stupidly) tied state legislature, and could wind up 8-4 or 9-3 in Representatives after this election.

    It's kind of stunning really. Whatever we're doing right here needs to be replicated elsewhere.

    This would be North Carolina if it weren’t for the voter suppression

    I have hope that the dam will break there one day like it did in VA. You can only fight a demographic shift like these ones for so long until you're either no longer a democracy or can't get away with it anymore.

    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    moniker
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I figure a person who praises secession is a bit too extreme for most places.

    https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/08/politics/kfile-corey-stewart-southern-secession/index.html
    "When you say you're from Virginia, when you travel outside of this state and somebody asks where you're from, you say with pride, 'I am from Virginia. I'm very, very proud of it,'" Stewart said. "You're very, very proud of it. And why is it? It's because of our history, folks. It's because of our history. This is the state of George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and James Madison and James Monroe. It's a state of the founders. It's the state of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution.

    "But it's also the state of Robert E. Lee, and Stonewall Jackson, and J.E.B. Stuart. Because, at the base of it, Virginians, we think for ourselves," he continued. "And if the established order is wrong, we rebel. We did that in the Revolution, we did it in the Civil War, and we're doing it today. We're doing it today because they're trying to rob us of everything that we hold dear: our history, our heritage, our culture."

Sign In or Register to comment.