As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Sustenance

2»

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    A&W Root Beer is the best mass produced root beer. He chose wisely.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    Jerms wrote: »
    Is he at least cooking the cookie dough into actual cookies? Like, in the oven? Or is he eating it raw? This is an important factor in determining how far down the debauchery well he's fallen.

wait you can cook that?

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Is he at least cooking the cookie dough into actual cookies? Like, in the oven? Or is he eating it raw? This is an important factor in determining how far down the debauchery well he's fallen.

wait you can cook that?

It sounds crazy, I know. Just give it a shot, and place a few splortz of that cookie dough in the oven. It will change. Your. Life.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Home delivery does change that equation. I eschew cookie dough, because I can have a batch of cookies in the oven from scratch faster than a trip to the grocery. But if I didn't have to leave the house at all ...

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

wait you can cook that?

It sounds crazy, I know. Just give it a shot, and place a few splortz of that cookie dough in the oven. It will change. Your. Life.

Don't cook it all the way, though. Your goal is hot, slightly solid cookie goop.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    A&W Root Beer in a can, glass bottle or the rare fountain is the best mass produced root beer. He chose wisely.

There. Now we're good.

I've met some people that like it in the plastic bottles, but to me it's a vile concoction. Something about the specific formulation they use for the plastic bottle version (they have to make sodas different for each container, due to chemistry, physics and the occult). Probably has a bit to do with the carbonation level and how quickly it heats up. It winds up tasting mostly flat after about the third swig.

Of course, I prefer almost any container other than plastic bottles for soda. But for root beer, it's even more important.

Oh, and I suppose I should throw IBC out there. It is mass produced, but not as ubiquitous as A&W or even Mug. But it is a fantastic root beer.

dennis on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I used to love IBC as a kid. I would sit around pretending I was Mr. Coolguy drinking a real beer, because I was a nerdy-ass little dork :P

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I used to love IBC as a kid. I would sit around pretending I was Mr. Coolguy drinking a real beer, because I was a nerdy-ass little dork :P

I'm sure I never sat there waiting for someone to mistake it for a real beer and have to be corrected. That's something only a complete geek would do.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    IBC, Stewart's, and Hank's are all pretty good bottled root beers. But I'm definitely on the A&W bandwagon. There's something about the... texture? Mouthfeel? The way it goes down, that is exceptional.

Mug is terrible (What? PepsiCo makes the most sickeningly-sweet Root Beer? I'm shocked, shocked I say). Barq's is only okay.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Mug is terrible (What? PepsiCo makes the most sickeningly-sweet Root Beer? I'm shocked, shocked I say). Barq's is only okay.

I managed to finally get to an okay place with Barqs. It's the root beer bottled by Coke, so it always shows up in their fountains. And the alternative is Mug, so there's that.

I find that it works only if I fill my cup to the brim with ice, then fill the remaining crevices with Barqs. It's still not good, per se, but it is doable when you want a root beer-like beverage and that's all you get. In the Coke freestyle machines, you can mix it a bit with the Barqs vanilla cream soda to improve the flavor (I find the plain cream soda a bit too "dry"). For a while they had a special mix of it on the "limited time" (WHY??) screen that was much more consistently better than doing it by hand. I think it may have involved a squirt of another syrup as well.

On a side note, I wonder how many people here are as ignorant as I was of Pibb Xtra. Do you think it's just Mr Pibb, the old terrible Dr Pepper knockoff? Or some sort of overcaffeinated version of said knockoff? Because I thought that, too, and then I tried some and thought "hey, this actually tastes more like Dr Pepper than Dr Pepper!" Turns out it was a different formula that they sold separately years ago which was popular enough to bump off the old knockoff. It's actually one of my favorite fountain sodas. Now when I get Dr Pepper its kind of tame by comparison.

#TheMoreYouKnow

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    A&W is definitely what I prefer for "classic" root beer taste; I like Barq's slightly better, for what it is.
    Mug is... barely drinkable cold, and awful at anything close to room temp.

• KredKred Registered User regular
    Stewarts for me, but A&W is certainly fine.

It's probably a good thing I don't live in an area with this Amazon delivery service. I might never leave the house on weekends. And I'm all kinds of anti-social as it is.

• Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I live in a place with its own microbrew sodas, with the root beer being their flagship product. It's made from spices and cane sugar.
    Suffice it to say, I don't need to resort to your corn syrupy barbarism.
    https://fitzsrootbeer.com/restaurant-menu/fitzs-craft-soda/

Twenty Sided on
    I live in a place with its own microbrew sodas, with the root beer being their flagship product. It's made from spices and cane sugar.

Always funny when someone acts all superior about liking stick syrup instead of corn syrup. When you look at them all objectively, it's all pretty silly.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    Sadgasm wrote: »
    Alright, I'm just going to go ahead and say it - pizza rolls arent even that good. They're emergency lazy food. If you're ordering food online anyway, why on Gods green Earth would you not order actual pizza?!

I still like the occasional Totinos pizza ("pizza"). I know it's not pizza. It's a different food category altogether that happens to share the name. It's pizza-adjacent.

I enjoy them in much the same way as one might enjoy Funyuns ("Why not just eat onion rings?!"), chicken mcnuggets ("Why not just eat real chicken?!") or oreos ("Why not just freebase cocaine?!")

The obvious answer is because cocaine dissolves too quickly in milk to get a good saturation going.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Always funny when someone acts all superior about liking stick syrup instead of corn syrup. When you look at them all objectively, it's all pretty silly.

From a nutritional perspective perhaps but from a taste perspective a lot of people do like how sugar cane derived syrup tastes more than high-fructose corn syrup (which itself tastes differently from "regular" corn syrup).

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular

You only say this because you are a heretic who does not know the true way.

From a nutritional perspective perhaps but from a taste perspective a lot of people do like how sugar cane derived syrup tastes more than high-fructose corn syrup (which itself tastes differently from "regular" corn syrup).

Oh, I certainly understand how different foods taste different. It was the attitude of superiority I was poking fun at ("barbarism"). Hopefully in the same cheeky way as the post I was replying to.

• Adam DuckieAdam Duckie Registered User regular
    This is LITERALLY me, LOL!