As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Need quick advice on blood pressure

DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy EaterRight behind you...Registered User regular
Just need some quick advice if it's worth taking the time off work to go to the doctor. Since I own and run my own business, I'm reluctant to leave if I don't have to.

I've had high blood pressure for a while now and the doctor put me on Metoprolol since I also show signs of tachycardia. I was put on this after I went in for another issue and found that I was in a hypertension crisis (basically, I was a stroke waiting to happen).

The medication has worked pretty well, but yesterday I wasn't feeling that good, almost like a jittery feeling but in my chest, not sure if it was my heartbeat or the feeling of blood moving through me. I have a portable blood pressure cuff and last night, my blood pressure came back high, around 145/80. This morning, I woke up with it high, around 141/81, then after getting into work it was 149/84. I just took it again and it has significantly dropped to 108/71 (about an hour later), but I'm not feeling better, same feeling in my body.

My main concern is mostly that sudden drop. This morning, I vomited I think about 15 to 20 minutes after taking my medication, so I'm not sure if it got into my system or not. Looking for basic medical knowledge and if I should even bother going to urgent care since I'm reluctant to leave work and spend the time and money if it's something normal and basic (nice to be needed, but sometimes it gets a little ridiculous).

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Go to a doctor.

You won't be able to own and run your business if you are dead.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    doctor or urgent care

also make sure you measure your blood pressure the same way (sitting vs supine or otherwise)

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    You should go see your doctor. BP spikes like that aren't something to ignore.

The vomiting is slightly concerning as well, unless you're already battling a stomach-bug or something.

But anyway, make an appointment ASAP. You don't want to sit on BP/Cardio issues.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    IANAD

Go to a Doctor, right away, preferably one at a good hospital.

You have high blood pressure(which is suddenly uncontrolled again), an underlying heart condition, and you have had - 'a weird feeling in your chest' and vomiting - 2 of the more common signs of a heart attack.

e:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/heart-attack/symptoms-causes/syc-20373106
    Common heart attack signs and symptoms include:

Pressure, tightness, pain, or a squeezing or aching sensation in your chest or arms that may spread to your neck, jaw or back
    Nausea, indigestion, heartburn or abdominal pain
    Shortness of breath
    Cold sweat
    Fatigue
    Lightheadedness or sudden dizziness
    Heart attack symptoms vary

Not all people who have heart attacks have the same symptoms or have the same severity of symptoms. Some people have mild pain; others have more severe pain. Some people have no symptoms; for others, the first sign may be sudden cardiac arrest. However, the more signs and symptoms you have, the greater the likelihood you're having a heart attack.

Some heart attacks strike suddenly, but many people have warning signs and symptoms hours, days or weeks in advance. The earliest warning might be recurrent chest pain or pressure (angina) that's triggered by exertion and relieved by rest. Angina is caused by a temporary decrease in blood flow to the heart.

When to see a doctor
    Act immediately. Some people wait too long because they don't recognize the important signs and symptoms. Take these steps:

Call for emergency medical help. If you suspect you're having a heart attack, don't hesitate. Immediately call 911 or your local emergency number. If you don't have access to emergency medical services, have someone drive you to the nearest hospital.

Drive yourself only if there are no other options. Because your condition can worsen, driving yourself puts you and others at risk.

Take nitroglycerin, if prescribed to you by a doctor. Take it as instructed while awaiting emergency help.
    Take aspirin, if recommended. Taking aspirin during a heart attack could reduce heart damage by helping to keep your blood from clotting.

Aspirin can interact with other medications, however, so don't take an aspirin unless your doctor or emergency medical personnel recommend it. Don't delay calling 911 to take an aspirin. Call for emergency help first.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    It could be an irregular rythm. The only way to know is to be seen by a physician and get additional information. You can only tell so much by a BP cuff. Seek treatment/diagnosis immediately. I'd strongly suggest emergency room.

You'll probably be in for a 12 lead and some blood work at the least. The OP being several hours old I hope you're being seen several hours ago.

dispatch.o on