As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Secret World Legends] - TTRPG Kickstarter huge success - Winter is coming

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    You're always going to be over leveled if you go full completionist. But that said, it does stay pretty easy all the way through now that that fixed the blue mountain speed bump.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Spoit wrote: »
    You're always going to be over leveled if you go full completionist. But that said, it does stay pretty easy all the way through now that that fixed the blue mountain speed bump.

I did some research this morning, while it was slow here, and I'm in probably one of the worse soloing specs given I went Claws / Blood Magic, since I'm short hit rating nodes. I've noticed a couple occasional streaks of things just not connecting (notably on the Bogeyman at the theme park), which has been the only real hiccup in what's otherwise been smooth sailing.

Not that I'm hoping for endless grinding; at this point I'm more worried about getting into dungeon content eventually with no real idea how to play my spec in that environment, should I stick with this.

I know part of their plan with the relaunch was to reduce complexity and unnecessary skills, but so far everything's felt like a bit like I'm on rails.

E: * while in combat. The puzzles, dialog, and so on are still the highlight here, and still good.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I thought solo pve was really easy. I was spamming assorted rifle grenades. However other people kept loudly voicing the opinion that rifle grenades were outright suicide that would kill you via self damage. I'm pretty sure that they were just bad, but I suppose ones mileage may vary.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I thought solo pve was really easy. I was spamming assorted rifle grenades. However other people kept loudly voicing the opinion that rifle grenades were outright suicide that would kill you via self damage. I'm pretty sure that they were just bad, but I suppose ones mileage may vary.

AR grenade spam can manage some truly ludicrous DPS output, but it does require a modicum of thought and skill (and good network connection). Naturally, this means it's the worst thing.

• Options
    Does it pump out the damage now? At the time, shortly after launch, IIRC the numbers were kind of average over the course of sustained fights. But I haven't been keeping up with balance changes.

I liked it for open world PvE because it could hit the ground running with a ton of AOE burst damage from a cold start. HE grenade with the passive for the free grenade and then following up with the backflip grenade attack would flatten most trash mobs. You could get a second backflip attack off really quick, but I think that I had to mix in a channeled attack to guarantee that I wouldn't generate a grenade while my grenade spells were all on their shared cooldown. I was using the rifle with the instant cast grenades. That was very important.

I think that I had some pistol skills for single target damage output.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I very much forgot how much shit there is to do between where I left off in Tokyo and the end of Tokyo. I think I'm gonna give up on the idea of doing anything but main story at the moment if I want to have Tokyo done by the time the new content drops tomorrow.

I feel like I shouldn't push myself to complete Tokyo so quickly so I can jump into South Africa. I might burn myself out. This is a bummer, I should have finished this a while ago but I got bored because I had already done it in TSW. Still need to go back to Transylvania and do the completionist there at some point and then do it in Tokyo.

I am working on a new build kind of. I'm putting points in Assault Rifle, not sure what to pair it with though.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    If you don't want to fully complete every zone before going to the new stuff, that's fine, but don't feel pressured to rush through the story stuff just so you can immediately jump into the new content right at launch.

The more you savor each mission, the more you'll get from the story of each of them. And the longer it takes for you to complete it all, the less time you'll have to spend waiting for the next new content launch. :wink:

• Options
    The story is the best thing about this game. Don't rush through it.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    If you don't want to fully complete every zone before going to the new stuff, that's fine, but don't feel pressured to rush through the story stuff just so you can immediately jump into the new content right at launch.

The more you savor each mission, the more you'll get from the story of each of them. And the longer it takes for you to complete it all, the less time you'll have to spend waiting for the next new content launch. :wink:

I'm not worried about doing completionist right now, just gonna come back to it after I finish the new content. The thing is I already did all of this in TSW. The missions so far haven't been extremely different in SWL than in TSW so I find myself not caring a lot of the time because I know what is happening. The burn out is spending too much time sitting at my desk playing SWL when in all honesty I don't feel like playing SWL or really any video game right now. My focus is very much on playing Warhammer 40K and finding a job. Though one of the jobs I want to try is Twitch/YouTube stuff.

I wish Secret World had a larger community that would be interested in a play through of Secret World.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Just got to Tokyo! I've gotten the hang of group finder for Elite dungeons and I'm building up to a full set of epics. Gonna be doing everything in Tokyo like all the other zones, I wanna get fully caught up and re-freshed on the story before going into the Morninglight stuff. So much fun to re-do the story now that I understand all the insane babbling of half the kooks out there a lot better.
    Still friggin' jarring at hell to have Lilith cut your legs off.

I was wondering what they were going to do in Tokyo now that the Aegis stuff came out - I never really minded it at the time (and I liked the idea of Psionic, Demonic, and Technologic 'elemental' types), but I'm glad it's not part of this new iteration, I'd rather not have another upgrade grind to deal with on top of weapons, talismans, and glyphs (and I guess signets now that I've gotten some epics).

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    I am not quite done with the new content yet, taking a break and finishing it up tomorrow, but I am liking it!

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Does it look like South Africa is going to be like Tokyo was, with more areas and more missions opening up over time?

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Does it look like South Africa is going to be like Tokyo was, with more areas and more missions opening up over time?

They explicitly said that they have more missions being finished up for the South Africa area (the achievements for completing all the missions of various categories in a region have a "coming soon..." bit at the bottom of each, so you can't complete them yet), but as far as opening up more of the map, I don't think there's that much that will be added on. Maybe some mission-specific instances of building interiors?

• Options
    Finished the New Dawn stuff!

Man...
    Dunno how much I like it. The way the new zone is set up seems pretty limited. It was also goofy having the Favoured area just be a few warehouses with hundreds of giant Hulk-soldiers stomping around. I guess I'll think of the zone as one abstracted slice of a more circular compound and the soldier housing and barracks and such were in other non-play areas.

The storyline about the Aigamuxa was great, as was the final breaking of the binding and the attack of the Filthasaurus. Some genuine creepy horror moments as part of the build-up to be the big final entrance to the mansion.

Story was great, lots of nice little lore bits and hints of future areas... I especially liked the hint of Antarctica - definitely sounds like a 'Finale' area to me. Also good to hear something new from John.

I think as always in Secret World the story and narrative is the truly outstanding part of the experience. Dunno how much more effort I'll be putting into my gear now that I've reached the end of the story, but as soon as the next chapter launches I'll be diving right back in. Also hoping Funcom might tide us over in the meantime by putting some of the other raids and the Manufactory dungeons back in. Probably spend the last of my patron game-time taking a look at Lairs.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I gotta say, for my Lumie, I'm not sure what was more terrifying:
    Briefly attracting the full attention of a Dreamer, or KG.
    Both of which happen within, like, five minutes of each other.

• Options
    EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    Got the dawn stuff done...well the main quest of it, apparently it's chock full of bits and peices to do, see and collect.

It was pretty fun, some of the boss fights felt like they had far to much health. But we got some very cool visuals and some freaky audio. And we met the family who were such a fascinating idea I desperately wanted more from them.

It was a nice warm up so I'm hoping the south africa stuff is coming sooner rather then later to make good on that feeling...but I'm guessing it's ages away.

• Options
    Also, I have to say that while the bulk of the story was up to the same standard as the rest of the game, I was very disappointed in one element:
    The fate of Berihun, the mystery man that was pulling a lot of strings in the Egypt storyline. He was this super mysterious character who was exploiting the Atenists, intimidating the Kingdom, snatching agents from the Phoenicians, hinted at being involved with the Morninglight, was knowledgeable of Third Age technology, scornful of any and all threats, and had the know-how to neutralize even the Bees. He vanished towards the end of the Scorched Desert storyline, and I've been wondering if we would ever see him again.

Lore in New Dawn reveals that Berihun is a friend of the Marquard family - Uncle Beri! Awesome. So he's a heavy hitter for the Morninglight. Knows Third Age tech - maybe even the man who prepped the bomb that caused the Tokyo disaster! He shows up after the spectacular and terrifying Marquard family battle, locks up the player, and then... dies like two minutes later in a way easier boss fight with a lame looking giant robot...? And that's the note that the storyline really ends on. Your faction captures the mansion in the aftermath.

But that was it? Have the guy show up after all this time, taunts you and locks you up, and then he suddenly panics and dies when you re-appear two minutes later? Fighting you in the same area that you were just in two minutes ago? Why even bother to include him? Why not save him for something much cooler? The final boss of the storyline should've just been the Nuclear Family, they were horrifying! Your faction could have swooped in right after. There had to have been more that could be done with him than include him for some throw-away boss fight that was much less challenging than the previous one. I mean, it was cool that his intervention got us locked up and necessitated a rescue from Che and John, but there must've been a way to include them while having Berihun himself do something better.

Probably my biggest gripe with the content, seeing as how it was story-based and that's my favorite element of Secret World.

Oh well!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Also, I have to say that while the bulk of the story was up to the same standard as the rest of the game, I was very disappointed in one element:
    The fate of Berihun, the mystery man that was pulling a lot of strings in the Egypt storyline. He was this super mysterious character who was exploiting the Atenists, intimidating the Kingdom, snatching agents from the Phoenicians, hinted at being involved with the Morninglight, was knowledgeable of Third Age technology, scornful of any and all threats, and had the know-how to neutralize even the Bees. He vanished towards the end of the Scorched Desert storyline, and I've been wondering if we would ever see him again.

Lore in New Dawn reveals that Berihun is a friend of the Marquard family - Uncle Beri! Awesome. So he's a heavy hitter for the Morninglight. Knows Third Age tech - maybe even the man who prepped the bomb that caused the Tokyo disaster! He shows up after the spectacular and terrifying Marquard family battle, locks up the player, and then... dies like two minutes later in a way easier boss fight with a lame looking giant robot...? And that's the note that the storyline really ends on. Your faction captures the mansion in the aftermath.

But that was it? Have the guy show up after all this time, taunts you and locks you up, and then he suddenly panics and dies when you re-appear two minutes later? Fighting you in the same area that you were just in two minutes ago? Why even bother to include him? Why not save him for something much cooler? The final boss of the storyline should've just been the Nuclear Family, they were horrifying! Your faction could have swooped in right after. There had to have been more that could be done with him than include him for some throw-away boss fight that was much less challenging than the previous one. I mean, it was cool that his intervention got us locked up and necessitated a rescue from Che and John, but there must've been a way to include them while having Berihun himself do something better.

Probably my biggest gripe with the content, seeing as how it was story-based and that's my favorite element of Secret World.

Oh well!
    I think it was kind of a neat way of indicating how far the Player has come from the start of the game. Berihun is a major player, yes. But he's also the kind of player who prefers to get pawns to do the work for him, and sticks to the shadows. He basically gave Daoud the instructions on how to run the Aten cult, even told him how to seal away the Bee powers temporarily.

But we've gotten to a point where he is unable to throw puppets in front of himself to face us. Well, okay, technically he sort of DOES face us with a puppet. But we're able to make that blow up in his face, literally.

And yet... only because John told Che to spring us, and Che has the occult knowledge to undo the power-suppression that Berihun dropped on us. Despite the Player having grown in power, they're still vulnerable, and have to rely on others in order to ultimately triumph.

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Has there been any word on how successful the relaunch has been? I expected SWL to be dead and gone by now, but maybe it's doing well and I should give it another chance?

• Options
    Has there been any word on how successful the relaunch has been? I expected SWL to be dead and gone by now, but maybe it's doing well and I should give it another chance?

The steamspy numbers fell like a rock after the christmas event ended, which was already a large drop from the holloween numbers. Granted, there are people who use the stand-alone client, but it's still not a great indicator of health

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Anniversary event should be happening later this month, just bumping to post this because Illuminati bees!

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    So, Aliya Zehhar, life-sucking ancient, failed a mission for my Lumie today. Big time. (Okay, so it was a Tier 4 or 5 and I sent her in with only blue gear and a success chance somewhere in the 60s - I think.) As the mission debrief put it, what was left of the missing campers were found in the den - and/or the stomach - of a large and angry grizzly, and things went south from there.
    Aliya, not very pleasant or stable under the best of circumstances, decides to take it out by threatening me; saying that her meds are all that are keeping her from, say, gutting me while feeding me enough life force to not die from it.

Portia "Fortissima" Croce: "First of all, I'm a Bee. Getting non-fatally disemboweled is, like, a semi-regular thing for me. Second, keeping that in mind: do you think I'd meet with another... exceptional individual like yourself, in person, without taking some precautions? Speaking of, I'd like you to meet an old... acquaintance of mine."
    Ronelle Washington: *click hello*

• Options

Bonus AP/SP weekend! You get an extra AP or SP every time you earn one through XP gains!

• Options

No more details on what all the Anniversary event will have, but I expect it will have bonus daily log-in rewards and a big boss to fight in Agartha. Pretty much everyone is assuming they're going to finally have the Guardians of Gaia lore and museum drops available during this event, but it'll be interesting to see how they're implemented, as the old way of having giant golems wandering around the playfield won't be doable with only 10-14 people allowed in an instance now.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    A few more teases of upcoming rewards for the Anniversary event that starts tomorrow.

(@Pixelated Pixie )

And a note about caches via the official forums:
    Andy B wrote:
    Hi everyone, please note that these are the final days of the Tribal Cache. It will be replaced by a special anniversary-specific cache during the event beginning June 20th. Once the anniversary event has concluded, we will rotate in the original Agarthan Cache around the world. Please prepare accordingly! Thanks!

EDIT:
    Another tweet with some exciting news: A new seated animation that's much better for characters that wear skirts or kilts!

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    ohmygoodness! Pink sparklies! I'm in!

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options

The event is live!

Check out the anniversary trailer above, which shows off the Anniversary Cache, a free sprint everyone can get during the event, and some of the bosses you can encounter.

• Options
    But how do you get the pink sparkly sprint? I'm not finding that info anywhere....

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    But how do you get the pink sparkly sprint? I'm not finding that info anywhere....

It's called Arcane Arrows and it costs 1000 Aurum. It's purchased and equipped via the sprint/pet window, which you can access by pressing Shift+P.

A neat little free feature they've added is multiple ways for your character to sit, both on a chair and on the ground. Before, there was only one animation available for each, and neither was good for a character wearing a skirt/dress.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Ah, good. If the game ever gets done patching, I'll be checking that out. :D

Pretty sure I have a bunch of aurum on my account.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    The Anniversary Event has been extended until July 17th.

• Options
    Is there a list of the drops from the bags yet?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »
    Is there a list of the drops from the bags yet?

You mean from the talos and gatekeeper fights? Nothing comprehensive yet, but the gatekeeper has a couple of new shirts and the Wicker Man-inspired bee helmet at least, and the talos bags can give you the shards needed for upgrading golem museum displays as well as the item that you need 5 of in order to get a random shem pet.

• Options
    So how does this event work? I have these shards and I don't know what to do with them.

• Options
    Stragint wrote: »
    So how does this event work? I have these shards and I don't know what to do with them.

Are the shards the red-tinged Shem items? You can use those over by where the Gatekeeper is standing in Agartha, and if enough people use their various ones over there (six I think?) then it opens up a different raid that isn't locked to a cooldown timer.

• Options
    There was a patch today that was announced to have some minor bug fixes and swap out the Anniversary Cache for a second round of the Agartha Cache.

Surprise, the patch also gave us four more missions!

There is a new sabotage mission in South Africa that gives us a bit more context on a story point from Tokyo I had been wondering about, and they've brought back three missions that were in TSW as Faction Missions to unlock Faction Rank 11-13. The interesting thing is that these missions have a selectable difficulty based on your IP level, with a rewards chest that also has scaling rewards. Perhaps a testing of more ways to introduce repeatable content?

• Options
    edited September 2018

There is a new kind of scenario coming soon to Secret World Legends, along with a limited-time event to celebrate it. This is not the same as the Samhain/Halloween event, if I understand the dev Discord chatter correctly.

It's planned to launch sometime this month but they don't want to give a concrete date yet because the studio is based in Durham, NC so Hurricane Florence may or may not cause an unavoidable delay of a week or two.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options

The Stonehenge Occult Defense Scenario is being released tomorrow!

Let me quote the copy from the SWL website, linked above:
    TRANSMIT – initiate the hagstone signal – RECEIVE – initiate Neolithic frequency – THE REALITY YOU ARE EXPERIENCING IS A SIMULATION – illumine the Avalon misdirection – WITNESS – Stonehenge.

The elusive Druids of Avalon require your aid – their soothsayers foreseeing the dark days ahead – and have emerged from the shadows to be seen and act among the societies of the Secret World. An ominous premonition suggests Stonehenge is in imminent danger, and may be unprepared for an impending Occult Disaster…

hqb26yzm1uvj.png

The Council of Venice have agreed to utilize their virtual reality system for a new combat simulation: Occult Defence of Stonehenge.

Your mission is deceptively simple: Defend the Hagstone, the ancient artifact laying at the heart of Stonehenge. This artifact draws power from the the world’s ley lines and works to conceal and protect Stonehenge and the Druids’ home from danger. Should the Hagstone’s integrity be compromised, it’s fission mailed – so keep it together!

What threats will you face in the simulation? Just endless, unpredictable waves of monsters trying to destroy the objective, that’s all. 😉 You will need to keep enemies away from the central objective – an enemy simply being near the occult focus is enough to damage it. If you survive a wave, you have an opportunity to halt the simulation and collect your compensation, or you can carry on and raise the danger level.

High-powered agents may also be happy to hear that you may start the scenario at a danger level where they left off, so you don’t have to start at level 1 every single time.

Just pick something you’re comfortable with, and keep going.

It’s dangerous to go alone – bring a friend! Occult Defence is designed for solo and duo play, and is made to scale infinitely! How far will you make it?

In addition, there's a special themed event for this, which is separate from whatever is going to happen this Halloween!

NEW SEASONAL EVENT: ENVOYS OF AVALON
    255fpi9llnf2.png

On each equinox, the druids of Avalon send their envoys to forge alliances with other Secret Worlders. For a limited time, you’ll be able to find Druids of Avalon in Agartha as they help usher you to the training simulation. Discover event-exclusive legends and get a chance at special loot, including agent dossiers. Seek them out in the center of Agartha!

Once the equinox passes, the envoys will need to return whence they came – but fret not! There’s two equinoxes in a year, so the druids will return soon enough. Even as the druids return home, the Stonehenge Occult Defence program will remain active on the Venetian servers, allowing you to continue your training.

(There's also Druids of Avalon agent booster packs being added, not sure if those are going to be limited-time or stick around after the event's over.)

The buzz I've heard from some players who were part of the closed beta testing for the new scenario seem to think it's much more enjoyable than the existing scenario type, and that it remained a nice challenge even once you've gotten higher-end gear on. I'm looking forward to trying it out myself tomorrow!

• Options

Samhain (Halloween) event starts October 11th and will run until November 1st. Full details aren't released yet but from the teaser here it's safe to assume that The Broadcast mission from previous TSW Samhain is making an appearance.

• Options
    Is the Secret World tv show still a thing?