As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BattleTech] The Clan Wait-vasion

• TiglissTigliss Registered User regular
    So, the game is out. Let's martial our forces and start working on an Oosik mod. Seems important for a canon unit. :biggrin:

l7n41RV.png
  • nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Every day has a Beer:30 event where you get to choose between drinking, drinking and more drinking! Maybe one day it won't trigger because your whole crew is still sleeping off yesterday.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Got a game of Btech in today:
    KM22h5e.jpg

Taught my friend how to play, he said he was initially a bit intimidated but by the end he got it.

I asked if he thought his wife might be interested as well, and he said lance on lance might be a little much. I suggested maybe something where I run OpFor and each player runs one mech? He responded, "Oh maybe we can get a couple more and do something like Death From Above, have you heard of that?"

It took all my willpower not to grab him by the shoulders and shake him and yell "Yes, yes I will run that for you starting yesterday."

So I guess I gotta look into the RPG rules now.

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Welp, lost Behemoth and Dekker on a pirate moon due to poor leadership.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    Picked up a few lance packs as I thought I saw they might have a shortage soon.
    I won't lie, Alpha Strike looks way more playable for my 40k minded group. Besides the main rulebook and the companion, is there anything else worth picking up since the cards are all free?

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Just a word of warning, there's a new edition of Alpha Strike rulebook called the Commander's Edition coming soon. That's all you "need" aside from models and the stat cards.

What kind of games do you want to run? Twice-weekly "Bring 120 points of Succession Wars-era stuff" games? Escalation? A persistent campaign?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    Right now we're looking at just getting games played. Don't see the timeline going further than clan invasion, but I'd love to do earlier era stuff. The points level is an interesting question, we're all unsure of the best level to play at. Something smaller for sure to keep up from getting overwhelmed.

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

So, pretty much mirroring the HBS statement of "No Statement".

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Now that I've decompressed for a week, I got to run BT at RAGECON in Reno last weekend!

The good: Lots of interested people, many willing to spend an hour in a VND v. ENF demo game. Most knew about the HBS game or previously played MechWarrior.

The bad: no real takers for my "campaign" game, though it's not surprising since our group of seven seems to be the only active one in the area. I brought too much stuff. And the new starter sets obviously aren't out yet.

But man, that was a crazy time. I wanna do it again!

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

So, pretty much mirroring the HBS statement of "No Statement".

Yes but this one has a cover letter that is basically "HERE'S A GIANT PICTURE OF ONE OF THOSE 'MECHS WE DIDN'T USED TO BE ABLE TO USE"

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    It's like writing NO COMMENT on your middle finger and waving it around

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Hey, so about how old would you guys say is the minimum age you'd recommend trying the game out? I got into Battletech ~13, I guess? My nephews are definitely too young now, but when they're old enough I'd love to see if it clicks with them.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Hey, so about how old would you guys say is the minimum age you'd recommend trying the game out? I got into Battletech ~13, I guess? My nephews are definitely too young now, but when they're old enough I'd love to see if it clicks with them.

I was 14. I think it depends on how experienced they are with RPGs in general and how good they are at math.

edited July 2018
    I got into it around the 6th grade.

Just kinda of comes down to if the kids show an interest in giant robots or not.

Kids will put a TON of effort into things that grab their attention, and considerably less into things that don't.

Inquisitor on
    Neat, the new box sets will be available at GenCon.

https://bg.battletech.com/news/first-look-miniatures-from-upcoming-boxed-sets/

Those minis look good!

l7n41RV.png
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Tigliss wrote: »

Those minis look good!

Fuck, fuck, fuck. Of course this is the year I miss the con. Damnit, damnit, damnit.

Interesting and awesome that the beginner box also includes punch-outs to actually play up to lance v. lance games. That's surprising and good, and way better value than getting just the two plastic figs (which look great).

That Commando fig looks niiiice. I think it's the only one we hadn't seen a proto for, glad to see it come out awesome. Like the Awesome. Also interesting that they're coming preassembled; that's nice for the non-modelers and new players coming in from BATTLETECH hype.

BeginnerBox-Miniatures.jpg
    BeginnerBox-Miniatures3_w-Basecoat.jpg
    BeginnerBox-Miniatures1_w-Basecoat.jpg

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Well for good news at least you won't miss out on them since they'll be out for sale after that.

This will be my first two boxes (I'm getting the beginner's box for work) of Battletech since I used to just borrow my friend's book in High School. So excited to be able to play this again. Hoping that I can get my co-workers hyped enough for us to do games during lunch.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    edited July 2018
    @nips I'll be there if you want to send me full ds to make a purchase for you

edit: Funds. I have no use for a nintendo ds

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited July 2018
    Nips wrote: »

Those minis look good!

That Awesome doesn't look like a barn, it is amazing.

Tigliss on
    l7n41RV.png
    That locust.

I NEED IT

Those minis look good!

That Awesome doesn't look like a barn, it is amazing.

Sure it does. A sleek Space Barn, like the Space Amish would come together and build as a community. In Space.

But with Guns.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    edited July 2018
    Holy crap, did you guys see this buried in the Catalyst blog post about Gen Con?

Spoilered for LOLYUUUUUGE, stupid phone screencap.
    1lLkhf6.jpg

These have to come out for full production after the con, right? If not, I might need @DaMoonRulz to mule for me.
    [Edit] The BT Line Developer confimed that the two miniatures are Con Exclusives, and IWM isn't saying anything about a wider release until sometime after the convention. Drat!

BTW, a friend confirmed with one of our FLGS's that the new boxes should be released the same week as the Con, so the wait shouldn't have to be too long on those.

Nips on
    @Nips I'm planning on Thursday being a stand in line day, so if you want me to try to get them just lemme know

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Why do they have to make both mechs I love Con exclusive AND limited???? I say @DaMoonRulz buy them for Nips. I'm sure he'll die a slow and painful death if he knew he had a chance and couldn't get them.

I know I would.

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited July 2018
    I mean, it wouldn't be the death of me or anything. But my desire for shiny things, especially stompy robots, is real bad right now.

Nips on
    TT game question, curious how folks would feel about / rule this scenario
    IS-tech mech running Streak-4s and MLas on TarCom. The idea is the mech fires all missiles first, then for each launcher that failed to lock (and thus did not fire), an MLas is fired. This is primarily a heat management system.

Would folks allow that at their table? Perhaps as some sort of quirk or with a drawback of some kind?

Tox wrote: »
    IS-tech mech running Streak-4s and MLas on TarCom. The idea is the mech fires all missiles first, then for each launcher that failed to lock (and thus did not fire), an MLas is fired. This is primarily a heat management system.

Would folks allow that at their table? Perhaps as some sort of quirk or with a drawback of some kind?

I could be wrong here, I haven't played the TT game. Most of my knowledge of the game comes from watching DFA on Twitch, so take what I'm saying with that in mind.

It seems like balancing heat by deciding what weapons to fire or not fire is an important part of balancing the game and the primary tactical decision a player makes. Having a weapon that fires automatically when another weapon fails to fire seems like it would disrupt that balance substantially. If you have the heat available to fire A or B but not both without risk, then you have to decide which to fire.
    It seems like saying "Well, my main weapons didn't fire, so I've got the heat to spare to try with my secondary weapons" would be rather broken.

I'm just not seeing how this could be considered a drawback, but I may be missing something.

I could be wrong here, I haven't played the TT game. Most of my knowledge of the game comes from watching DFA on Twitch, so take what I'm saying with that in mind.

It seems like balancing heat by deciding what weapons to fire or not fire is an important part of balancing the game and the primary tactical decision a player makes. Having a weapon that fires automatically when another weapon fails to fire seems like it would disrupt that balance substantially. If you have the heat available to fire A or B but not both without risk, then you have to decide which to fire.
    It seems like saying "Well, my main weapons didn't fire, so I've got the heat to spare to try with my secondary weapons" would be rather broken.

I'm just not seeing how this could be considered a drawback, but I may be missing something.

Well, the baseline opportunity cost is the additional resources (primarily c-bills, but also weight) needed for Streaks and a TarCom for SRM-4s and MLas. Yes there's other benefits, but which is why I was thinking some sort of quirk or other ... thing to help balance it, because you're 100% right.

I guess I asked the wrong question, the maybe more accurate question is "say you had a player that wanted to wire up their 'mech like this, and you want to say yes and/but. How do?"

edited August 2018
    What see317 said RE: heat vs. damage balance. Per RAW, you declare weapons to be fired, then afterward roll to hit each; that is important. Also per RAW, SSRMs are not TarCom linkable.

That said, for a custom home game, I could see doing something like this. I think it might be balanceable if you were required to scale up the TarCom commensurately with the addition of the SSRMs, and not give the missiles the TarCom to-hit bonus; possibly extend the removal of the to-hit bonus to the lasers as well. It makes it more of a Weapons Management Computer than a Targeting Computer, but it's a neat idea.

[Edit] Also, with IS equipment, it works out very neatly to 1t of Computer to one SSRM4+ML pair.

You'd need a pretty crafty engineer to rework it to do that, and a tech savvy enough to install it, and a pilot crazy enough to want it. ;)

Nips on
    edited August 2018

Well, the baseline opportunity cost is the additional resources (primarily c-bills, but also weight) needed for Streaks and a TarCom for SRM-4s and MLas. Yes there's other benefits, but which is why I was thinking some sort of quirk or other ... thing to help balance it, because you're 100% right.

I guess I asked the wrong question, the maybe more accurate question is "say you had a player that wanted to wire up their 'mech like this, and you want to say yes and/but. How do?"

Ah, okay.
    In that case, I think the route to go with is the standard Battletech answer to letting a player access some broken shit:
    The player manages to salvage some lostech that does what they want to do.
    The lostech is, of course, a nigh on unique prototype that never made it to full production. That makes it very powerful, but also expensive to repair and impossible to replace. If your mech tech isn't up to it, they could easily botch a repair, causing delays, malfunctions or accidentally destroying the weapon system. Also, it may just start attracting covetous eyes from powerful foes (the other players might not like the attention because someone got a shiny new toy).

If you're looking for an in game mechanical downside, maybe the weapon generates an additional heat over the 3 either the SSRM4 or MLAS would when fired.
    Say it's the laser capacitors holding a charge while attempting to get a lock with the launcher. Either the launcher fires and the capacitors charge is vented as heat, or the laser fires and the residual heat from holding a charge for longer than usual accounts for it. It may also be the experimental targeting computer running on overdrive that spikes the heat.
    You might also make it an optional effect, the player can choose to set the weapon to SSRM mode, MLAS mode, or Combo fire. Taking the combination option causes it to generate extra heat, choosing a specified fire mode essentially costs you the weight of the weapon component you're not using. That way, you're not adding a tactical choice instead of removing it. Do you go with the SSRM fire and risk not firing at all, take the MLAS mode and risk missing and taking the heat, or Combo fire and take the extra heat?

Edit: I'm assuming this is a weapon upgrade that takes the non-weaponized targeting laser that serves as the main sensor on the SSRM launcher and upscales it to have the power of a medium laser that fires if it's unable to get a target lock, rather than being two seperate weapon systems. Maybe your player is thinking something different, but I think this is the way I'd go.

see317 on
    edited August 2018
    Apparently the CamoSpecs diorama this year at Gen Con uses a bunch of the new plastic models, along with spoiler prototypes of the Classic Marauder (which we've seen) and the Archer (which we have NOT).

I'm officially dying a little on the inside, missing out being there.

Nips on

Bah. No Oosiks.
    Apparently the CamoSpecs diorama this year at Gen Con uses a bunch of the new plastic models, along with spoiler prototypes of the Classic Marauder (which we've seen) and the Archer (which we have NOT).

I'm officially dying a little on the inside, missing out being there.

@DaMoonRulz need recon on this.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    I voted for the SLDF because that seems like a good compromise for a classic design.

I voted for the SLDF because that seems like a good compromise for a classic design.

Not to pick nits, but you picked the most boring paint scheme.
    elhthanatos.jpg
    Olive Drab? C'mon, we can ask for better!

I want to see artistry on this badass bitch. Something like...

...the Fronc Cuirassiers...
    joe_wiedeman_first_fronc_cuirassiers_awesome.jpg

...the 1st Robinson Rangers...
    59_robinson_ranger_awesome_400x.jpg

...the Izanagi Warriors...
    61_izanagi_awesome2.jpg

...or something really going for it, like the 1st Ghost Regiment...
    61_1stghost_akuma2.jpg
    1_1stghostcatapult.jpg
    30_jalphoenix_1stghost_dragon_2.jpg
    61_1stghost_nodachi4.jpg

...though truly, in my heart of hearts, I would prefer Oosik Irregulars in Mountain Line camo.
    17e7rCW.jpg

Gonna have to think on this one before I vote.

@Nips what's the diorama I should be looking at? The one in the display case?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

@Nips what's the diorama I should be looking at? The one in the display case?

It's usually over by the Battletech area in the gaming hall. Look around the BT HQ tables.

Would have been really nice if they gave you some idea what the color schemes you're voting for actually were.