As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SW|Armada] The Corellian Conflict

2»

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Well will you look at that. Tabletop simulator is on sale today.

Is it easier to play this in that than Vassel?

It's easier to set it up; the actual mechanics of play seem a little harder to me, since TTS is ... uh, a physics simulator that happens to have gaming pieces on it? :D

Happy to play in either, actually, but I know Vassal better.

Ah ok. I'll play on Vassel then since you are more familiar with it. By the way how long does a game last?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Well will you look at that. Tabletop simulator is on sale today.

Is it easier to play this in that than Vassel?

It's easier to set it up; the actual mechanics of play seem a little harder to me, since TTS is ... uh, a physics simulator that happens to have gaming pieces on it? :D

Happy to play in either, actually, but I know Vassal better.

Ah ok. I'll play on Vassel then since you are more familiar with it. By the way how long does a game last?

If you know what you're doing, about an hour and change?

Vassal makes that take a little longer, and being unfamiliar with the rules will add a little time, too.

But, we'll be playing the intro game, which has a fleet roughly half the size of normal, so ...

• Options
  • Options
    Oh - and since voice coms will make this easier, we can use this Discord: https://discord.gg/cTwC3a

Anyone who wants to listen in is welcome!

• Options
    @Elvenshae sorry I'm going to be about 15 minutes late. Got home late thanks to traffic and having to pick something up on my way home.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    NP!

• Options
    This is a picture of me technically winning a game of Armada against @Betsuni.

taymyg14jqoz.jpg

He's down 2 full TIE Fighter squadrons thanks to some super crack shots from X-Wings 1 and 2; on 8 total dice between their two attacks, they rolled 7 hits (and 1 [useless] Accuracy) to OHK a squadron apiece.

That's worth a grand total of 16 points to me, and everything of mine is still more-or-less flying at this point, so Bets has no points.

However, my CR90-A is not long for this world, with a set of collapsed shields facing the Vic2 and several obnoxious TIE Fighter squadrons buzzing around her, so one more tick of damage would result in an immediate 44 points to Bets. (The CR90 should actually be at 2 hull remaining, except, uh, I accidentally rammed it with my Neb-B ... Courts martial are probably in order.) Still the Vic2's down a whole bunch of shields at this point, and my Frigate is now hanging out on its vulnerable rear quarter, so who knows how the next round would've gone ... ?

Thanks for running through the intro scenario with me, Bets! Hope you had fun. :)

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Yep I had a blast playing it. Unfortunately I think that I can't dedicate a set time for a campaign at this point. Never realized how much fun Armada is and would be willing to play a game here and there with you (or others here) on Vassel.

But thank you plenty for helping me set it all up and baring with me doing it. Your instructions on how to play were great and now I have an idea how to get a game going. I do see myself trying to set up a game here at my office with my co-workers since I think Vassel allows you to save the game. If not, it is still a blast to play and I can see us getting in a game during lunch if anything.

So yeah, in short, I had a blast. The tactics and randomness of the dice really do fit well with the gameplay. Thinking about it, maybe I could get my wife to play with me since games are somewhat short.

Yeah, not such a short post, but you all get my idea how jazzed I had playing it.

Edit: Actually I probably could play a game or campaign. Just have to relearn that I have other duties in the house (such as the dog). Sometimes when I really get into a game I tend to forget that there are adult responsibilities.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    @Nips @Betsuni @Lykouragh @jdarksun @crimsoncoyote

I'm available again tonight to play if anyone wants to; I can do the intro scenario again, or we can do something more "real" - buy that would probably require some squad building, which is a bit harder to do at the drop of a hat.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I overestimated the time I have available, and won't be able to play regularly. :( Sorry, E.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I’d be up for trying a game when I get back home this weekend.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    I'm out of town this weekend unfortunately. Next weekend my parents will be here so my game time will be severely limited

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Hey - no problem, J!

So, it looks like there isn't quite enough interest to get the long form of the game going, so instead, I'll just make myself available to play normal games via Vassal / TTS.

Thanks for the interest, everyone!

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Yeah sorry boss. I will definitely be taking you up on some Armada games though. Will give me an excuse to buy more ships. Mwuahahaha.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    What does the campaign entail anyway, E?

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    @Nips

Basically, you divide into 2 teams (Rebs v Imps, natch) and each player builds a persistent fleet, and each team claims some starting territory in the Corellian sector (see the map in post #2). The Empire gets Bases, and the Rebels get Outposts (hah hah! we weren't actually here!) and Bases. Then, they fight! By winning battles, you get to wreck the enemy's infrastructure, build your own, score resources, and win campaign points.

You use resources to improve your fleet between campaign rounds (repairing beaten-up ships and squadrons; adding new ships and squadrons; buying and equipping upgrades) or to affect your battles (some planets give you, e.g., spies, which let you redeploy your ships before the first round of battle after your opponent has deployed theirs).

In addition to the normal objectives you include when you build your fleet, certain places on the map always include a particular objective as an option.

As an example, here's Centerpoint Station in the Corellian System:

98j5yk5avlj9.jpg

If your team owns it, you get 5 additional resources each round (yellow +5) (in addition to the 25 you get for a full base, Reb or Imp, or 5 for a Rebel Outpost). Winning a fight there isn't worth any additional campaign points (green +0). If your team owns it, you gain access to the Spynet, so you get 1 spy token per campaign turn to use as mentioned above. If you're having a fight there and it isn't a base, the battle objectives will be the new Independent Station objective and one of the defender's; the attacker has to pick which one they want to do.

Then, you play out a series of campaign rounds - 1) pick who's going to fight and where; 2) fight; 3) get resources and manage your materiel - until one side or the other reaches the number needed for victory (9 or 12 depending on player count) or someone is close to winning and decide to go for broke, in which case there's a huge battle royale with all players present and the winner of that wins the game.