As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BattleTech] The Clan Wait-vasion

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    I voted for the SLDF because that seems like a good compromise for a classic design.

Would have been really nice if they gave you some idea what the color schemes you're voting for actually were.

There's an entire website dedicated to this. CamoSpecs.org

Also, apparently, the Archer on the diorama is a 3D print, possibly a test model. Still, it's sexy AF.

4dsWd08.jpg

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    @DaMoonRulz Can you get a photo of the Marauder?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Thank you sir!!!

oosik_betsuni.png
    Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup. Daddy want.

Soon. Very soon.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Tox wrote: »
    TT game question, curious how folks would feel about / rule this scenario

IS-tech mech running Streak-4s and MLas on TarCom. The idea is the mech fires all missiles first, then for each launcher that failed to lock (and thus did not fire), an MLas is fired. This is primarily a heat management system.

Would folks allow that at their table? Perhaps as some sort of quirk or with a drawback of some kind?

I'm going to propose a dungeon world solution. After the missiles fire, roll 2d6 for the TarCom. On a 10+ it works normally, 7-9 it works but has a -2 to its next roll. Under 7 it miscalculates and you roll on the SRM-4 chart to see how many MLas it fires

There's also the background cost, the TarCom costs twice as much and has to account for the SSRMs (and ammo) as well. That makes it quite a bit heavier, and a lot more costly. Also any repair/replace time spent on the TarCom or a weapon connected to it costs half again more, to represent the peculiar wiring and configuration.

Since he's eyeballing an Archer, I may set him up with a variant -5S, and give him XPulse lasers, and just say it's a prototype from Defiance. The player would have to figure out the necessary backgrounds and whatnots for their character to be able to luck into that, but I may just do that with the whole campaign and let them start with these really nice 'mechs but end up basically spending all their money to maintain or downgrade the mechs over time.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    16.67% of the time, it works every time, amitirite?

You might want to give some sort of bonus to that roll, or that system's failing more often than it's working. I like the idea, though.

edited August 2018
    Nips wrote: »
    TT game question, curious how folks would feel about / rule this scenario

IS-tech mech running Streak-4s and MLas on TarCom. The idea is the mech fires all missiles first, then for each launcher that failed to lock (and thus did not fire), an MLas is fired. This is primarily a heat management system.

Would folks allow that at their table? Perhaps as some sort of quirk or with a drawback of some kind?

I'm going to propose a dungeon world solution. After the missiles fire, roll 2d6 for the TarCom. On a 10+ it works normally, 7-9 it works but has a -2 to its next roll. Under 7 it miscalculates and you roll on the SRM-4 chart to see how many MLas it fires

There's also the background cost, the TarCom costs twice as much and has to account for the SSRMs (and ammo) as well. That makes it quite a bit heavier, and a lot more costly. Also any repair/replace time spent on the TarCom or a weapon connected to it costs half again more, to represent the peculiar wiring and configuration.

Since he's eyeballing an Archer, I may set him up with a variant -5S, and give him XPulse lasers, and just say it's a prototype from Defiance. The player would have to figure out the necessary backgrounds and whatnots for their character to be able to luck into that, but I may just do that with the whole campaign and let them start with these really nice 'mechs but end up basically spending all their money to maintain or downgrade the mechs over time.

16.67% of the time, it works every time, amitirite?

You might want to give some sort of bonus to that roll, or that system's failing more often than it's working. I like the idea, though.

Well, the penalty isn't cumulative, it only applies to the very next time you make that roll. But I may make the penalty something -1 for every 5 Heat on their scale, rounded up. Maybe the equipment is particularly sensitive to heat.

e: I think I'll give the player a +2 to the roll, but a cumulative -1 on a 7-9 (-2 if the 'mech has over 4 heat), and the penalty resets on a misfire

Tox on
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

Patience paid off and @Nips got his reinforcement

3basnids3lf9.jpg

In addition to Gentleman and Scholar, along with Poet, we need to add Treasure Hunter to DaMoon's list of bona fides. 'Cause he's the best!

Is it weird that it bugs me that they're calling those Unseen, when they're clearly Classics?

Cheeky, CGL.

Poor Wasp not as popular as the Valkyrie.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

Listen, the Valkyrie's just better. Plus, there were famous Valkyrie pilots in the old novel series (Justin Xiang Allard & his brother Dan). I can't recall any famous Wasp pilots.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Listen, the Valkyrie's just better. Plus, there were famous Valkyrie pilots in the old novel series (Justin Xiang Allard & his brother Dan). I can't recall any famous Wasp pilots.

But... I still feel sorry for the little guy. Although the Wasp is loved more than the Stinger which I like more.

oosik_betsuni.png

The Valk is a smidgen slower, but otherwise yeah. That's what an extra 10 tons buys you.

It's okay, Bets. I like the Wasp and Stinger better, too.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

The Valk is a smidgen slower, but otherwise yeah. That's what an extra 10 tons buys you.

But with the Valk's 1 E and 1 M hardpoints, using only basic 3025 IS tech you can make a super Wasp like so:
    • swap the LRM-10 for an SRM-6 (triple the Wasp's SRM-2)
    • upgrade the engine from a 150 to a 180 (5/8 to 6/9, game system permitting) to match the Wasp's speed
    • add a jump jet to match the Wasp's jump range
    • keep the Valk's 6 tons of armor (double the Wasp's) and extra heat sink

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    I mean, sure, if we're talking custom refits. Of course you can get there with 10 extra tons. Which is neat. But for TT, I tend to take the lens of what's available canonically.

But with the Valk's 1 E and 1 M hardpoints, using only basic 3025 IS tech you can make a super Wasp like so:
    • swap the LRM-10 for an SRM-6 (triple the Wasp's SRM-2)
    • upgrade the engine from a 150 to a 180 (5/8 to 6/9, game system permitting) to match the Wasp's speed
    • add a jump jet to match the Wasp's jump range
    • keep the Valk's 6 tons of armor (double the Wasp's) and extra heat sink

Yep. The Valkyrie also has a soft spot in my heart since it was my first mech I piloted in TT (and yeah it does the same job as the Stinger and Wasp). But those other two are higher on my favorites list since they were lighter and nobody liked them.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Paint it one of those really silly paint schemes that has like the bottom the mech green and the top blue with a bunch of Bob Ross trees on the divide to try and be a tree line camo.

Those always struck as dumb because it would only really work at an exact distance right? Too close or two far and there would be weird tiny/massive trees.

edited August 2018
    Paint them in Dazzle camouflage. Confuse the hell out of their forward scouts, at least.
    pinooz6wxxhl.jpgudmmzg6stdts.jpg

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    Dazzle, you say?

61_dazzle_atlas2.jpg

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Paint it one of those really silly paint schemes that has like the bottom the mech green and the top blue with a bunch of Bob Ross trees on the divide to try and be a tree line camo.

Those always struck as dumb because it would only really work at an exact distance right? Too close or two far and there would be weird tiny/massive trees.

Paint the legs to look like a pair of Locusts, while the rest of the body is a simple sky blue.

There really should have been, like, a de facto light 'mech that every house used that was like 30 tons, 6/9/4, and had 6 tons of armor. That would still leave like 9 tons for weapons, which is a lot for 3025 era, I feel. Like, that's 4Mlas and 5 extra heat sinks that means even if you jump every turn you're still only building 1 heat a round.

Or an AC/5 with a ton of ammo!

Or 2xSRM-6s with ammo and room to spare!

Hell you can even drop a LLas in there with MGuns to back it up!

The possibilities are endless, and it'd be a well-rounded, solid 'mech.

edited August 2018
    I feel like they kinda goofed on the three 55-ton Dougram inspired mechs:
    • The PPC/LRM/full-JJ long range fire support design should've been named the Shadow Hawk (because it's elusive and airborne)
    • The AC/LRM/SRM/MLas limited jump jet skirmisher should've been named the Griffin (because they're a combination of two ambush predators, only one of which flies)
    • The Wolverine should've skipped JJ's and had more ammo or armor (to make it more of a tenacious ground-pounder, like it's namesake)
    • When they were introducting Star League tech, each could have featured one non-weapon equipment piece that tied into their theming: the Shadow Hawk gets ECM to help it evade pursuit and/or counter-battery fire, the Griffin gets a BAP for eagle-eye like ability to find targets, and the Wolverine gets an AMS to make it even more tough (and because that's what the weird head-guns on it's inspiration are for).
    For reference, the Wolverine's inspiration, the T10C Blockhead:
    fls2d5dpq9aj.jpg
    Note head machine guns for point-defense and the lack of thrusters on it's back and legs.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    [*] The Wolverine should've skipped JJ's and had more ammo or armor (to make it more of a tenacious ground-pounder, like it's namesake)

The stock Wolverine is already pretty close to max armor (9.5/11 tons, skimping mostly on the legs), and giving it more ammo would make it less survivable. Especially in 3025, I feel having more than 20 rounds of ammo is a liability that will blow your 'Mech up sooner or later.

If I were inventing the Wolverine as a brawler, I'd probably swap the AC/5 for a large laser and add heat sinks, a second medium laser, maybe fill in the armor.

I guess that thing on the side of the handheld gun looks too much like a magazine to be a convincing energy weapon, though.

edited August 2018
    Orogogus wrote: »
    [*] The Wolverine should've skipped JJ's and had more ammo or armor (to make it more of a tenacious ground-pounder, like it's namesake)

The stock Wolverine is already pretty close to max armor (9.5/11 tons, skimping mostly on the legs), and giving it more ammo would make it less survivable. Especially in 3025, I feel having more than 20 rounds of ammo is a liability that will blow your 'Mech up sooner or later.

If I were inventing the Wolverine as a brawler, I'd probably swap the AC/5 for a large laser and add heat sinks, a second medium laser, maybe fill in the armor.

I guess that thing on the side of the handheld gun looks too much like a magazine to be a convincing energy weapon, though.

Maybe it's a heat exchanger (1 or more heat sinks in game rules)?

Anyways, I just feel like the theming could've been better by swapping the two names and building the wolverine more as a brawler. And then it would've been a fun way to showcase some of the lostech by giving each of these three starter-box mechs SL-era versions with gear that fit their name & role.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    If that chin turret on the Blockhead is an AMS: what the fuck?

That is the worst place for an AMS! Think Pirate's Bane muzzle flash, but uncontrollable.

edited August 2018

That is the worst place for an AMS! Think Pirate's Bane muzzle flash, but uncontrollable.

Hey man, it was the 80's. We can't rule out the possibility the animation studio's designers were on coke at the time.

Most of the Macross stuff had point-defense weapon systems on their heads as well (except the Defender/Rifleman & Phalanx/Longbow), they were just smart enough to place them above/behind the cockpit canopy/view port/main camera.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited August 2018

Sarna wrote:
    The Wolverine carries a weapons payload that is both versatile and, at the same time, limited by its ammunition dependencies. The primary weapon on board is a GM Whirlwind Autocannon/5. This weapon, mounted in the right arm along with one ton of ammunition, allows the Wolverine to cause damage to the enemy at respectable ranges. This is backed up for short range work by a Harpoon-6 SRM-6 launcher with one ton of reloads in the left torso and a single Magna Mk II Medium Laser mounted in the head. The laser is the most unique aspect of the Wolverine as it is mounted in a ball turret originally providing a 360° field of fire on early models of the Wolverine. Following the addition of the Harpoon launcher and Tek BattleCom electronics blister, a fire-interrupt circuit had to be added to prevent pilots from shooting their own 'Mech.

Tox on
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    When I get the new starter sets I'm absolutely painting the Dougram-style mechs in reference to their original colors. Green Griffin, blue Shadow Hawk, red Wolverine. Not sure about the second Wolv or the Thunderbolt since I don't want repeating colors.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    When I get them, I'm just splitting them up and going Red Team/Blue Team. Or Purple Team/Yellow Team. Haven't decided yet.

My painting backlog is already so long, I need to go simple or these beautiful models will never see the painting table in my home.

The two bugs DaMoon snagged for me will be the test models. :D

When I get them, I'm just splitting them up and going Red Team/Blue Team. Or Purple Team/Yellow Team. Haven't decided yet.

My painting backlog is already so long, I need to go simple or these beautiful models will never see the painting table in my home.

Someone already did Red vs. Blue. Just saying...

I say you go blue vs. orange.

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited August 2018
    Colors vs Monochrome?

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png

Someone already did Red vs. Blue. Just saying...

I say you go blue vs. orange.

I mean, I got all these Oosik paints right over here....

You make a point though. Honestly, I just want to do something easy that was X vs. Y on the color chart, and easily distinguished. That said, I lament a bit that it's hard to go some base colors for "generic-ness" because they're so strongly associated with a faction; e.g. red for DC, purple for FWL. I tend to associate blue with Lyrans and green with Capellans as well, and the Feddies...I dunno, red/white/blue? That kinda only leaves yellow and orange as the odd colors without strong factional associations (in my brain).

I mean, it's not like I've been thinking about this for multiple years now.

What's that Armored Core-looking quad spidertaur on the right? Is that a Dark Age era mech?

camo_sig2-400.png