As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Virtual Console] Teeth gnashing continues, but hey, Ys I guess

ElendilElendil Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Games and Technology
Latest NA Releases:
Ys Book I and II (TGCD, 800 points)
Samurai Shodown 2 (Neo Geo, 900 points)

Latest EU Releases:
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES, 900 points)
Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (NES, 600 points)

Pricing
vcpricing.jpg
Exceptions:

NES:
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (600 points), Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (600 points), Ninja JaJaMaru-kun (600 points)
SNES: DoReMi Fantasy: Milon’s DokiDoki Adventure (900 points)
N64: Sin and Punishment (1200 points)
Genesis: Alien Soldier (900 points), Puyo Puyo 2: Tsuu (900 points)
TG-16: R-Type (800 points), Gate of Thunder (800 points), Super Air Zonk: Rockabilly-Paradise (800 points), The Dynastic Hero (800 points), Monster Lair (800 points), Riot Zone (800 points), Lords of Thunder (800 points)
Neo Geo: n/a

North American VC Release List
Europe VC Release List
Japanese VC Release List
Australian VC Release List

Elendil on

• Options
    edited December 2007
    Reserved.

Elendil on
  • Options
    YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    We will get Earthbound before the entropic heat death of the universe.

Better late then never!

YardGnome on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Everyone's thinking it, I'm just saying it.

Which one first, Duke Nukem Forever or Earthbound on VC?

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Europe gets Skate or Die, eh? I had fun with that one. The sequel was insanely difficult, and I'm don't think it was the fun kind of difficult.

SteevL on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    darunia106 wrote: »

Being that we just got a DNF trailer, DNF. Definitely.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    When the fuck are we going to get the rest of the TMNT series? I want II and III for the NES and then IV for the SNES.

And possibly Tournament Fighters.

What the fuck, Konami. I will give you my monies for this.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    SimBen wrote: »
    darunia106 wrote: »

Being that we just got a DNF trailer, DNF. Definitely.

Remember what happened last time we got a DNF trailer?

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Linked the damn Wiki lists until I can dig up lists that are conveniently copy-and-paste-able.

Elendil on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yay new thread!

I hope we get Super SFII over here soon.

slash000 on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm surprised that one Earthbound site hasn't attempted to hire hookers for the people in charge of VC.

Couscous on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Thread title got me all excited for a second. :(

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Thread title got me all excited for a second. :(

Seriously, what the fuck would it take for them to just put it there already? People are fucking begging for it, and it isn't like HAL is being uncooperative about it. Plus, they only stand to make like a bajillion dollars.

I just don't understand why some companies deny me the chance to give them my wallet and all of its contents.

Also, I do not understand all the Zelda II hate. Personally, I think it's fun as hell. I found the first one to be confusing and boring. Every dungeon looked the same, every map twisting and turning until you are left for dead. Leveling up in Zelda II is awesome and gives you a sense of growth. Sorry for the rant, it's just reading vc-reviews blurb on it has me all pissy now.

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm starting to think that they're taking advantage of the demand for Earthbound and saving it for the end of the Wii's life cycle or something, either that or they think they stand to lose money on it, but since we got shit like Urban Champion that shouldn't be an issue.

and I don't think either of the first two Zeldas aged well, both practically require a strategy guide or FAQ unless you've played them so many times that you know them by heart

Niceguyeddie616 on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Since we're on the topic, I'm going to go ahead and say that when EarthBound finally does show up on the VC, if it doesn't become the best-selling game within a few days then you have all failed at life.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I'm starting to think that they're taking advantage of the demand for Earthbound and saving it for the end of the Wii's life cycle or something, either that or they think they stand to lose money on it, but since we got shit like Urban Champion that shouldn't be an issue.

I'm just disappointed because it's basically the one title everyone wants that isn't covered in license fees or uncooperative copyright laws.

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Also, I do not understand all the Zelda II hate. Personally, I think it's fun as hell. I found the first one to be confusing and boring. Every dungeon looked the same, every map twisting and turning until you are left for dead. Leveling up in Zelda II is awesome and gives you a sense of growth. Sorry for the rant, it's just reading vc-reviews blurb on it has me all pissy now.

I totally agree. Zelda II is awesome. The combat is actually great, especially once you get the downward and upward stab moves. It's ridiculously hard, though.

I really hate the first one. It may be revolutionary and amazing for its time, but damn if it isn't one of the most frustrating and boring games Nintendo has ever made.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I'd love Zelda 2 if I could actually get anywhere in it. That game was ahead of its time, goldangit.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I really hate the first one. It may be revolutionary and amazing for its time, but damn if it isn't one of the most frustrating and boring games Nintendo has ever made.

Hate is a strong word in my case because with an FAQ, I can go through the first game. I just won't enjoy a second of it.

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've got 2 questions regarding Donkey Kong Country 3:

1) Is there any way to switch the buttons for jumping and running? I'm playing with a Wavebird, and the button positions on the controller are kinda akward for this game.

2) Is it only me or does the music and sound effects not sound like they should be? I've played DKC 1&2 on the SNES before, and remember them both having a much better sound quality.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Fuck Earthbound for VC.

They should just bring out the Mother collection for DS and stick Mother 3 in there :(

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I wonder if we'll ever get any MK games. I'd love to have Mortal Kombat 2 on my VC.

Also, where's Super Mario Kart?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    StonecutterStonecutter Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Let's play:

Guess which games come out before this thread hits 100 pages and we have to start a new one!

Super Mario RPG: Yes
    Uniracers: Yes
    Zombies ate my neighbors: No
    Earthbound: No
    Beetle Adventure Racing: Yes

Stonecutter on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Next month Japan is getting Phantasy Star II, which is a real rpg. Real frustrating and hard to get into if you didn't play it back in the day, but real none the less.

Oh sweet Jesus. Phantasy Star II is amazing. As soon as that game comes out I'll buy two copies.

urahonky on
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Let's play:

Guess which games come out before this thread hits 100 pages and we have to start a new one!

Super Mario RPG: Yes
    Uniracers: Yes
    Zombies ate my neighbors: No
    Earthbound: No
    Beetle Adventure Racing: Yes

Little Nemo: The Dream Master: No
    Samurai Showdown II: No
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time: Yes
    Startropics: Yes
    Master of Monsters: No

Slagmire on
  • Options
    GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Finally got some more wii points.... anyone have suggestions on games that are awesome but might be overlooked?

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Link to the Past.

Overlooked on VC that is, not overlooked in general.

LewieP on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    When the fuck are we going to get the rest of the TMNT series? I want II and III for the NES and then IV for the SNES.

And possibly Tournament Fighters.

What the fuck, Konami. I will give you my monies for this.

Konami needs to get off their ass and get a ton of games onto VC. Life force, more gradius. I'm certain there are more that I'm unable to recall. (holidays have been rough on my mind)

Oh and 2020 super baseball. I NEED IT.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    TMNT 4 is MANDATORY. I've been waiting twelve years for 4-player. Argh. Also, I heard Zombies Ate My Neighbours was rated...but when the hell can I play it? D:

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    TMNT 4 is MANDATORY. I've been waiting twelve years for 4-player. Argh. Also, I heard Zombies Ate My Neighbours was rated...but when the hell can I play it? D:

The SNES version of Turtles in Time was 2-player only.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    I have 1200 points, not sure waht to get.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You know what else is depressing?

The fact that we'll likely never see the Disney-licensed Capcom games of the late 80s and early 90s.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    RandomKitRandomKit Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I would kill for Rocket Knight Adventures to come out on vc.

RandomKit on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    RandomKit wrote: »
    I would kill for Rocket Knight Adventures to come out on vc.

I...I forgot about this game. Why did I never buy it? :(

piL on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    EliteLamer wrote: »
    I would say Sin and Punishment, but I can't imagine anyone here not having that one already.

Otherwise, 1200 is kind of an awkward number unless you buy two TG16 games.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Torso Boy wrote: »

The SNES version of Turtles in Time was 2-player only.

Well, it's my fault for getting my hopes up.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    TowlyTowly Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I have TMNT for NES in a closet a few feet away from me, and just being reminded of that game is really quite painful.

The gameplay was... completely shit. Getting rolled over by tanks and snowplows or some bullshit, and half the monsters made no sense at all.

Shame I didn't see it back then, when I blamed myself for sucking at the game(I think i was around 8 maybe), and being a huge fan of TMNT I just kept playing.

I don't understand why anyone would spend points on it tbh.

Also, why is 1000 points €10 / $10?

$10 is currently worth €6.81. No pun intended or whatever, hopefully the dollar will bounce back soon.

Oh well, at least we got Mega Man 2:!!:

Towly on
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've been enjoying the hell out of Metal Marines lately.

Oh, and if we ever get Seiken Densetsu III over here I may never leave the house again.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I would say Sin and Punishment, but I can't imagine anyone here not having that one already.

I don't have it.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Big Dookie wrote: »

I don't have it.

Then get it. You won't be disappointed.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Towly wrote: »
    The gameplay was... completely shit. Getting rolled over by tanks and snowplows or some bullshit, and half the monsters made no sense at all.

Shame I didn't see it back then, when I blamed myself for sucking at the game(I think i was around 8 maybe), and being a huge fan of TMNT I just kept playing.

Not to mention the controls, the bosses, and nearly all of the levels except maybe the first one.

If anything I hate it more because I didn't grow up forcing myself to play it. TMNT2: The Arcade Game was my constant companion on snow days. I had to go back and emulate the first one - terrible move. How were the third and fourth ones on NES in comparison to the second?

Silvoculous on
This discussion has been closed.